PDA

View Full Version : Marlboro backpack?

dessertrat
10-01-2007, 11:32
I picked one of these up at a yard sale. It is a fairly big, broad, old style internal frame pack. It actually appears to be of decent quality, perhaps made by one of the major manufacturers but relabeled for a cigarette promotion back in the days when the cigarette companies were allowed to do such promotions. It has a zip-off daypack.

Anyone familiar with these? Will it fall apart the first day on the trail, or is it as decent as it appears? I'd like to give it a try on my next trip, as it fits very comfortably.

Gray Blazer
10-01-2007, 11:34
You might get a new trail name.....Marlboro Man (hack, hack). :D

Tabasco
10-01-2007, 12:23
I have 2 of them, gotten from a co worker. I use them as loaner packs, as no one is getting my Bora 95 or my ULA Catalyst.

I have used them on sections of the Knobstone Trail in Indiana. Carried reasonably well considering the price (free) I would imagine if the pack fits, that it would carry 25-MAYBE 30 lbs with no real issues

Wanderingson
10-01-2007, 13:30
Ah--the good old days when Marlboro was running there promotional campaign to encourage smokers to save "Marlboro Miles" to earn points towards camping and hiking gear--how ironic.

Not once did I ever see an oxygen bottle in their catalog for saving the miles.

Tabasco
10-01-2007, 13:38
I think that with 25,000 marlboro miles you got your choice of either one chemo or radiation treatment

John Klein
10-01-2007, 17:38
If you get the DVD, "2000 Miles to Maine", you can see a man using the complete line of Marlboro equipment (backpack, sleeping bag, etc).

ozt42
10-01-2007, 22:49
I have two, they are pretty decent I've had them loaded up to around 30-35 and they carry ok. I never use them enough to guage how durable they are but they seem to be constructed pretty solid.

dessertrat
10-02-2007, 09:42
And they've got the zip off daypack, which I think is a great feature; does anyone "reputable" still make a pack with that feature? I think it is out of fashion now.

ozt42
10-03-2007, 04:26
I went shopping for a new pack to replace my old north face and everything looks like a day-pack to me now. whatever happened to big, sturdy indestructable packs that will last for decades. Maybe I'll put some miles on one of my marlborough bags... ;)

Toolshed
10-03-2007, 12:57
We had one guy bring a Marlboro inflatable kayak on an overnight canoe camping trip. (So much for tripleader making sure folks are equipped)
By the time we had paddled a simple single mile, his kayak was deflated and he was sitting glumly between two others in their canoe for the next 2 days.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-03-2007, 13:18
A friend has one of those. He usually carried 35lbs and used it quite a bit.
Seemed to work for him for several years until he went to something smaller.

ec.hiker
12-19-2010, 22:25
I have been trying to find out what kind of pack this is cuz mine didn't have the marlboro things on it anymore but sure enough it is the smae one. I love this pack!!! I have actually considered buying another one on ebay in fear I might wear this one out. It is a great great bag and has lasted me along time with no breakdowns yet

I picked one of these up at a yard sale. It is a fairly big, broad, old style internal frame pack. It actually appears to be of decent quality, perhaps made by one of the major manufacturers but relabeled for a cigarette promotion back in the days when the cigarette companies were allowed to do such promotions. It has a zip-off daypack.

Anyone familiar with these? Will it fall apart the first day on the trail, or is it as decent as it appears? I'd like to give it a try on my next trip, as it fits very comfortably.

Bama Jack & Sadie
12-19-2010, 22:39
I threw mine out after a 6 day hike in which the ill fitting pack pinched a nerve in my shoulder. Granted I was converting my car camping gear to backpacking and had this pack that I had never used for anything but an overnighter. Marlboro probably had several packs to choose from when they were giving things away so your pack may be different than mine. Be sure it fits and feels well with a full load before going long. BTW, non-smoker but my brother in law the postman had all the people on his route save Marlboro miles for him. I am pretty sure he wound up with one of everything the had available.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 23:01
Ah--the good old days when Marlboro was running there promotional campaign to encourage smokers to save "Marlboro Miles" to earn points towards camping and hiking gear--how ironic.

It's about as appropriate as it gets, after all, Lewis & Clark brought 130 rolls of tobacco on their expedition. They used it on their own, traded it and used it as gifts. Those guys hiked as much as many successful thru hikers and camped more than I will probably do in my entire life.

STICK
12-20-2010, 00:48
If you get the DVD, "2000 Miles to Maine", you can see a man using the complete line of Marlboro equipment (backpack, sleeping bag, etc).

I saw that... funny stuff...

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 01:05
One mans trash is another mans treasure

I threw mine out after a 6 day hike in which the ill fitting pack pinched a nerve in my shoulder. Granted I was converting my car camping gear to backpacking and had this pack that I had never used for anything but an overnighter. Marlboro probably had several packs to choose from when they were giving things away so your pack may be different than mine. Be sure it fits and feels well with a full load before going long. BTW, non-smoker but my brother in law the postman had all the people on his route save Marlboro miles for him. I am pretty sure he wound up with one of everything the had available.

Trailbender
12-20-2010, 10:09
I went shopping for a new pack to replace my old north face and everything looks like a day-pack to me now. whatever happened to big, sturdy indestructable packs that will last for decades. Maybe I'll put some miles on one of my marlborough bags... ;)

People realized they were carrying extra pounds for no reason. I have a lightweight pack that is durable, besides, if you take care of your gear there is no reason to need bombproof stuff. I don't need my stove to be tough enough to withstand me stepping on it, just don't step on it.