PDA

View Full Version : Making changes...just cut some ties!

chiefdaddy
10-01-2007, 13:54
Just cut ties with my partners in business today, one main reason is the trail and my daily stress levels. I own a martial arts school and am down sizing to a small club type deal renting a small space after hours for my classes until I leave in march. I've jumped and hope my chute opens lol!
I hope some of you can understand what I am going through. Just broke it off for good with a girl, getting rid of my grand nice business...I felt like I was my business. Now I am getting back to me, the trail awaits! I signed the book on springer a week ago saying I would be back and I will in march!

Good luck to you all that are making changes that frighten most into not doing anything at all. I faced my fear and am a free man! One GIANT step for Chiefdaddy only a million to go after march!

Smile
10-01-2007, 15:06
Go for it Cheifdaddy!

You must feel quite a burden lifted off your shoulders. What a great way to focus on your hike! :)

Hope it's awesome for you!

Smile

rafe
10-01-2007, 15:37
One GIANT step for Chiefdaddy only a million to go after march!

Five million is the often-quoted number. I suspect even more for short people.. ;)

SGT Rock
10-01-2007, 15:53
Good luck man.

wrongway_08
10-01-2007, 16:32
Great! I too am downsizing! Feels great. You'll do great and everything will fall into place for you.

Cannibal
10-01-2007, 16:40
All I have to do with work is quit and I've got no girlfriend to dump. However, my "Come Buy My Crap" garage sale is coming up in a couple of weeks.:D

Compared to your 'to do list' I feel ashamed for being stressed. Way to go chiefdaddy!

FatMan
10-01-2007, 16:41
Good Luck and don't look back. You will be able to do a lot of personal future goal setting and planning during your 2000+ walk.

Lilred
10-01-2007, 16:55
You did WHAT??? Quit a great job, broke up with a great girl and all for what??? To hike some trail??!!!???? OMG!!

I'm so envious I could just SH**!!

Now that's what I call guts! Good job! Keep us posted. Are you keeping a journal??? Best of luck to you.

gold bond
10-01-2007, 17:10
Your my hero...I sure wish I had your stones!! I own my own business as well so I know the stress. God bless and best wishes!

chiefdaddy
10-01-2007, 17:15
Sounds like a plan cannibal and I am stressed for sure! Thanks!

Lilred I just had this feeling and knew I had to do it. thanks for the kind words! I need it!

If anyone wants to see my business I have pics on the myspace page under my profile. also have videos of martial arts. Maybe Ron haven will see it and I'll teach Karate in Franklin after I thru hike :D I can only dream the world is more open now! and Suburb smog and traffic kinda sucks for my kind!

Wrongway good to hear you have things falling into place also!

Thanks fatman, I have always been better and getting somewhere rather than standing still....this is a good move for my soul, i have been stuck here for 7 long years with ten martial arts school all around me always in a competition to gain students and survive. Yuck! I just wanna be smelly, cold, tired, and puked on by my dog in 10 degree weather :D it some how seems better than what I am doing at least we worry about real things on the trail!

Thanks smile and sarg!

Good luck to you all that are making changes that frighten most into not doing anything at all. I faced my fear and am a free man! One GIANT step for Chiefdaddy only five million to go after march :D

chiefdaddy
10-01-2007, 17:17
he gold bond this is one of the toughest things I have ever done, it's like breaking up with a beautiful girlfriend..wait lol I just bury myself in my plans and future goals. i am still teaching just not in a location I would like.

John Klein
10-01-2007, 17:33
Good luck. Now that you mention a karate school, last year in November I hiked from Three Forks to Hawk Mountain with a young guy from Atlanta that was going from Springer to the state line and said he owned a karate school in North Atlanta. Not sure if that was you.

Jim Adams
10-01-2007, 21:40
good for you!
the first step is the hardest and you got past that...all the rest will be easier.
good luck.

geek

chiefdaddy
10-02-2007, 12:05
Hey john! That was me. It's crazy i was just looking at a pic of you from that trip.

warraghiyagey
10-02-2007, 12:17
Hey Chief, welcome to the world of spiritual liberation. I'm sure there will be times between now and your first step that you may feel 'adjusting' in the life you've lived. But you've already taken your first steps on the trail.
Your last steps on the actual trail will certainly find you knowing exactly what you want for your one go round in this thing called life.
Enjoy every moment along the way. Probably see you around Vermont next year as I'll be heading south again from Katahdin on June 1.
Peace and nice work. You've just made the ultimate investment in a well lived life.

kiwihiker
10-02-2007, 14:40
Good for you and good luck! Looks like you and i both are heading for the AT for just about the same reasons!
Happy hiking!

Doctari
10-02-2007, 15:20
A bad day on the trail is ALWAYS better than a great day at work!!

I am so envious!

#2 son finally moved out, we changed the locks on the doors. Really, we did!!!!

#1 son is still at home, we are thinking of changing the locks while he is at work someday. Nah, I'm mostly kidding, , , , mostly!

Wife loves to travel, I love to hike. Am slowly trying to talk her into selling the Money Pit & living off the proceeds in a camper till I am old enough to get SSI, she is, , , , , , , , , reluctant.

My boss has said I could easily take a 6 month leave, so no problem there.

OK, what is MY excuse for not doing a thru next year???

I have no idea :rolleyes:

Footslogger
10-02-2007, 15:25
OK, what is MY excuse for not doing a thru next year???

I have no idea :rolleyes:

===================================

Well ...if you're anything like me it's all about that weird sense of responsibility we were programmed with way back when. I was in the same situation back in 2001 -2002. I agonized A LOT, pretty much right up to my departure day on Springer in March 2003. Amazing though ...once I got to Springer and started walking all that "stuff" went away and I had a truly wonderful experience.

'Slogger

Cannibal
10-02-2007, 15:35
Come on Doctari it'll be fun and everybody is doing it. :D

UL minimalist
10-03-2007, 11:57
I got a Temp job that ends Feb 28th. Just in time for my March 1st Hike. I've sold everything over the past year accept my hiking stuff bike and bed. Now im just killing time doing stupid stuff to my gear to shave off a few ounces. Or sometimes I like to Unpack my gear and repack it.

LIhikers
10-03-2007, 17:31
Congrats chiefdaddy!
You made some big changes and I'd say it's all down hill from here, ...but it's not.

John Klein
10-03-2007, 17:45
Hey john! That was me. It's crazy i was just looking at a pic of you from that trip.
You know, when I was walking back from Hawk Mountain heading back to my car at Springer, I met a family of 3 from Carolina that got in over their heads and needed a ride back to Suches. It was their first time backpacking and they wanted to go from Springer to Unicoi Gap on Thanksgiving week. I don't think they were counting on overnight temps in the teens...

Toolshed
10-03-2007, 17:57
Ich, Ni, San, Yan, Go.
No Really, Go!! Go Get on the trail!!!
Good luck. you might look back at this as both the most satisfying and exciting times of your life.

latenight
10-06-2007, 12:54
Yo Joe, young Schoolcraft is asking for a trail adventure. I think we can oblige. hehehe

Manach
10-06-2007, 21:08
There's nothing quite so satisfying as cutting loose the ties that bind. I admire your spirit, Chief. I wish I were hitting the trail with you in March, but, alas, my date is set for two years after.

I'm sure you've had bouts of misgivings and guilt over what you've done, but, as the proverb says, there is no profit without loss.

Let us know if you keep a journal online. I for one will be looking forward to following your adventure.

chiefdaddy
10-06-2007, 23:23
I am now free and back in my home town, it sucked seeing Atlanta in the rear view but hey that's life and new adventures await! I'll start a journal this week and explain all that has happened to get me to this point!

I have a lot of adjustments to make and small town living is one of them lol. I'll survive! might head out on a three week hike, Pinhoti maybe....

chiefdaddy
10-07-2007, 00:09
I got a Temp job that ends Feb 28th. Just in time for my March 1st Hike. I've sold everything over the past year accept my hiking stuff bike and bed. Now im just killing time doing stupid stuff to my gear to shave off a few ounces. Or sometimes I like to Unpack my gear and repack it.

wow that seems to be what i am doing....always doing mods to the gear ect lol too funny. I ended up throwing out the plastic housing to my Jet boil after drilling holes in it. one thing after another. OR my fave "hey lets go home and boil water" :D How much of a retard am I?

Lyle
10-07-2007, 10:37
Best of luck!!!!

Brought back memories of when I quit my job, sold my car, sold my furniture, and moved in with friends 6 months prior to my long hike to get ready. Once the initial shock was past, a great "Ease" overcame me that I was now committed. Hope you find the same.

You are on your way, the hardest step is over. As you said, it is the one that keeps most people from doing anything.

Green with envy...

Doctari
10-07-2007, 16:52
OK, not quite a thru hike, but I'm going for at least 23 days in 08. My boss suggested that I wait till 4 work days before my anniversary date (June 24th) when my vacation time refreshes, & take 36 days off. WOW, even if I only do 8.5 MPD, thats still over 300 miles, for a grand total of over 660 miles. I can live with that :D

trailfoot
10-08-2007, 16:55
wow that seems to be what i am doing....always doing mods to the gear ect lol too funny. I ended up throwing out the plastic housing to my Jet boil after drilling holes in it. one thing after another. OR my fave "hey lets go home and boil water" :D How much of a retard am I?

Chief, your not a retard just a dork. Really... we all have been there or at least we should be there. We should scrutinize every "thing" that enters ones backpack. Once you have narrowed your pack down. You should go through it again in a month and scrutinize it again.

BTW, what style of MA did you teach?
What is your starting date?

Just a Hiker
10-08-2007, 17:26
Congratulations!! You have made a hard decision that I am sure 3/4 of the people in here would like to make!! There may be some residual pain right now, but you'll get back alot of great things because of what you have done!!

Just Jim

Patrickjd9
10-08-2007, 23:03
Must be a trend....

I have 2 weeks of work left (after a break for several days on the AT) on a very high stress job. Going back to something with a more realistic schedule and vacation.

Congratulations!

dockaos
10-09-2007, 00:27
Congrats, Chief!!!

I envy you for already taking the first big step. I'm going to hand in my notice in November. Planning to spend January - February getting the house and all other affairs of state into some kind of self-managing mode.

Kinda difficult to get your brain around the idea of putting yourself in the unemployed category, isn't it? I'm sure next year at this time you will be saying it was worth it.

See you on the trail next year!
docKaos

chiefdaddy
10-09-2007, 08:20
thanks guys!

hey trailfoot,
I teach XMA with taekwondo as a base style with Judo and Jujitsu for self defence. Xma = art, TKD = Sport/art/self defence, and the rest like I said is great self defence. I have some videos on my mypace page.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-09-2007, 11:46
Go, go chiefdaddy!!! Revel in the fact that you've simplified and have few responsibilities. Have a great hike!

gold bond
10-10-2007, 08:53
Hey Chiefdaddy when you get of trail I have a friend here in SC who has his own studio..dojo....and is always looking! We are a small town but we have fun!!

AT-HITMAN2005
10-22-2007, 18:32
my first hike i was able to take a leave from my job. it wasn't that great a job but it was there for security and was able to keep my health insurance for the hike. this time around its going to be a little harder to leave my job, its something i like to do and the pay and benefits are decent, hopefully i'll be able to take a leave there too. my wife hates her job so much shes just counting the days to when she can quit its pretty funny.

so good luck, chief, looks like you are on the right track. don't ever look back!

chiefdaddy
10-24-2007, 07:21
I peep back over my shoulder every now and then and I am glad I have jumped. This is tough but March 1st is only 4 months! I'm working for my old Master part time now and am saving every penny for the hike. I plan to do the same year after year, work, save, hike! 6 months a year working to hike is my kind of life.

maxNcathy
10-31-2007, 10:44

Hi ULm,

Can you share what gear items you have chosen so far?
Good luck on your hike!
Thanks, Sandalwood

Hurley
10-31-2007, 14:15
It feels real good to be cutting some ties. I'm finishing school this semester and then working 40+ hours a week during Jan and Feb. I plan on leaving March 1 once I save the money I need and get all the gear I need to acquire. I hardly drink anymore, and have been working out everyday. After the hike in August I plan on enrolling in EMT school.

Only problem is I just started dating a girl, which I know will cause things to get "complicated". Can't wait to see the lot of you this Spring. I'll be headed nobo.