PDA

View Full Version : Journey's To Inspire- Open Debate

Kirby
10-01-2007, 18:45
So, now that I have introduced Journey's To Inspire in the straight forward forum just to get them out now, I am open to having a conversation with my fellow AT hikers about them as an organization. All that I ask is your questions be relevent and be based on fact, however, since this is the general forum, these requests do not have to be followed, although I would be one happy hiker. Below please find their website, and i will gladly answer any questions I can to the best of my ability, and if I cant answer them, I will ask the great people at JTI and get an answer back to you all ASAP.

www.journeystoinspire.org

Kirby
BE RESPECTFUL

Lone Wolf
10-01-2007, 18:53
what's the cost?

Kirby
10-01-2007, 18:56
They are a fundraising organization, I paid $300 dollars to go with them, the money benefits NAMI of greater Milwaukee, where they are based. My dad demanded I hike with people so this was the best bet, and I found $300 dollars to be worth it to be able to hike the entire Appalachian Trail at my young age.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2007, 18:58
Kirby:

First of all ,good luck with your trip!!

You mentioned on the other thread that you'd paid to be a part of this hiking group.

Do you mind telling us what they charged you?

Also, I'm curious about you leaders/trip planners. Are they all experienced thru-hikers?

Lastly, I'm wondering about your posted itinerary, the one where it lists towns, etc. Are these the places you are planning to take time off?

Reason I'm asking is that some of the places listed aren't so great as far as facilities for hikers (Boiling Springs, for example). Also, I noticed NO spots mentioned between Springer and Fontana Dam or between Bland and Waynesboro. I sure hope your leader isn't planning to take you guys on these stretches with little or no down time!

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:02
Kirby, is there something about JTI or the mental health organization that has been controversial that is not readily apparent? They both seem like fine organizations. To me, it seems a little strange to use hiking as a way to raise money for non-hiking related charities and I'm not sure exactly how it works, but that's my problem, not yours or theirs.

I am really glad you are getting to do the A.T. That is the most important thing. It is an opportunity few have at your age--you see here on WhiteBlaze many people in their 60s and 70s still trying to make it happen. You are very fortunate.

Though I disagree with your father about not letting you hike by yourself because you seem very mature and respectable and would not really be by yourself anyway, I can understand what he may be thinking because there are indeed many opportunities for a young man to become the prey of women of low morals, to indulge in alcohol to excess, and to partake of illegal (but harmless) drugs over the course of a summer spent hiking. Those things will just have to wait until you go to college.

Almost everyone you will meet, hundreds of people of all ages, are fine, interesting people and they come from a variety of places and backgrounds. No doubt thru-hiking the A.T. will be one of the most enjoyable things you do in your life. You may even hike it again later in life.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:06
In my above post I covered how much it cost me, just in case, they charged $300 dollars, which is for charity(mentioned above and on their website). I do not believe they are experienced thru hikers, both seasoned backpackers though who have a great handle on what is going on, and who I trust for this hike. The itinerary on their website is very boiled down, meant to give a general picture of our time frame. I have a copy of their full itinerary, which, for safety reasons I will not go into detail about, just know there are rest places between all of the above mentioned spots you asked about Jack.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2007, 19:07
I agre with most of what Tater just said, tho a few things could be added:

Actually, Tater, there are a few MEN of questionable morals in the Trail community who have preyed on young hikers over the years, so it's not just "women of low" morals, OK? Also, I don't want to debate this, but there's nothing remotely "harmless" about teenagers being exposed to, or using illegal drugs. If Kirby's father will only permit him to hike in a group for the time being, well that's the end it. He has every right to be concerned about his son's safety, security, and the company he'll be keeping.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:08
I am not sure the decision making process that went into choosing NAMI, I imagine there was one they went through, I have not asked, I just trusted it was for a good reason, seems like a great organization to do this for though.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-01-2007, 19:09
In my above post I covered how much it cost me, just in case, they charged $300 dollars, which is for charity(mentioned above and on their website). I do not believe they are experienced thru hikers, both seasoned backpackers though who have a great handle on what is going on, and who I trust for this hike. The itinerary on their website is very boiled down, meant to give a general picture of our time frame. I have a copy of their full itinerary, which, for safety reasons I will not go into detail about, just know there are rest places between all of the above mentioned spots you asked about Jack.

Kirby

just so you know, itineraries rarely work out for single hikers, never mind a group. a march 1st start will be interesting

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:10
My dad was mainly concerned about my safety, which is perfectly understandale, he was pulling out all of his hair when I solo backpacked the 100 mile wilderness this summer, I have accepted his request that I hike with a group in 2008, we are a group of 5.

Kirby

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:12
just so you know, itineraries rarely work out for single hikers, never mind a group. a march 1st start will be interesting

I have mentioned this to them, and they are perfectly fine with what happens, they just wanted to get everything planned and they said putting together a full itinerary has helped them really understand the trail and the trail towns and the different resources available on a thru hike.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:12
The group leaders seem realistic in understanding that the schedule is likely to be altered significantly.

Kirby, if you read Mr. Tarlin's resupply article and the ALDHA companion, you will be able to make some suggestions regarding some of the planned stops. In some cases there are much better alternatives.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:16
Jack just refered me to that, and I am going to take a look at it right now.

Kirby

rafe
10-01-2007, 19:18

Warren Doyle seems to take his itineraries pretty seriously. :D

I discovered on this last trip that I could in fact hold myself to X miles per day, long term. I knew what average MPD I needed to "finish" and I held myself to it. It took some effort... though I didn't have to deal with any injuries or serious emergencies.

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:18
I agre with most of what Tater just said, tho a few things could be added:

Actually, Tater, there are a few MEN of questionable morals in the Trail community who have preyed on young hikers over the years, so it's not just "women of low" morals, OK? Also, I don't want to debate this, but there's nothing remotely "harmless" about teenagers being exposed to, or using illegal drugs. If Kirby's father will only permit him to hike in a group for the time being, well that's the end it. He has every right to be concerned about his son's safety, security, and the company he'll be keeping.

I agree that there are legitimate concerns, and that's why I said, in reference to Kirby's father, that "I can understand what he may be thinking" and outlined some of the hazards. One I did not think of was men of questionable morals. I guess the real problem is questionable morals.

Also, Jack, I said that the drugs were harmless, not that exposing teenagers to them or teenagers using them was harmless. Alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than those that are illegal.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:21
I do not participate in, or the support the use of, any substance that, from my vantage point, os considered illegal. Moving on, with respect, back to the topic at hand.

Kirby

TinAbbey
10-01-2007, 19:27
I do not participate in, or the support the use of, any substance that, from my vantage point, os considered illegal. Moving on, with respect, back to the topic at hand.

Kirby

don't let this turn into a congressional hearing

mountain house is a sponser, does that mean raspberry crumble every nite

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:29
No, they donated samples of their food to JTI, enough, I believe, for everyone to hava few sample meals, and LEKI has donated trekking poles for everyone in the group.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:30
Kirby, you might suggest to the leaders that twenty maildrops is complicated and unnecessary. Besides that, have fun getting all your stuff together, testing it, and then hiking. Have fun!

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2007, 19:31
Also, unless people have to finish by 20 August because of back-to-school conflicts, I'd start the hike a bit later than 1 March, but that's just me. :-?

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:34
That brings up another point, Kirby, no doubt I am not the only one who wonders what you are doing about school. Obviously you have a plan or your father would not have agreed to your hike.

The Old Fhart
10-01-2007, 19:34
Kirby, I quickly read the material on the JTI website and, if you have to go with a group, it looks like a really good deal, almost too good to be true. I hope you have a great time and keep us posted on how it goes from now thru the end of your hike. Good luck.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:35
The start date will not be changing, and I do not have to deal with planning and mailing the drops, I am leaving that up to someone else who does this as a sort of hobby/way to help hikers (Pittsburgh/Richard Mann for those of you who know him).

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2007, 19:36
Or he's home-schooled, or is geting credit for the time he'll be missing in the Spring. He certainly sounds bright enough to be the product of home schooling, Tater. In any case, he'll learn more on the Trail in 174 days than he would in 180 in school! :D

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2007, 19:37
I know Richard. Is he connected formally to JTI or is he just volunteering?

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:39
I would have to agree. I learned more on the trail than I did in any one year of schooling.

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:41
The start date will not be changing, and I do not have to deal with planning and mailing the drops, I am leaving that up to someone else who does this as a sort of hobby/way to help hikers (Pittsburgh/Richard Mann for those of you who know him).

Kirby

That indeed a nice thing!

Kirby
10-01-2007, 19:42
I know Richard. Is he connected formally to JTI or is he just volunteering?

No, this is just a service I am using for convienece, I am part of a AT email list he is on and I found out about it one day and decided to use it, saves me a lot of work, and he seems like a very respectable person. Although, JTI has said that if I am happy with the way it goes, they will most likely use him for their next trip. One other person in my group is using him as well.

I am doing all missing school work ahead of time, I will also be keeping a online journal as part of the requirements.

www.trailjournals.com/kirby

The first entry explains almost everything.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 19:56
No, this is just a service I am using for convienece, I am part of a AT email list he is on and I found out about it one day and decided to use it, saves me a lot of work, and he seems like a very respectable person. Although, JTI has said that if I am happy with the way it goes, they will most likely use him for their next trip. One other person in my group is using him as well.

How much is that costing you? It does sound convenient.

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 20:01
Something's whacked with your link, just say's "Coming soon..."
This one works:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5132

I am glad we will get to follow your hike.

We want to hear more about your strike.

Kirby
10-01-2007, 20:02
Since I am doing partial drops, I am being charged 12 dollars for every day of food I will have in my drops, if I were to do it for the whole trail it would be 2,000 including shipping as of now, that number could go up if shipping costs increase. For me though, its 12 dollars for every day of food I plan to have in all of my mail drops.

Kirby

Kirby
10-01-2007, 20:03
Something's whacked with your link, just say's "Coming soon..."
This one works:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5132

I am glad we will get to follow your hike.

We want to hear more about your strike.

no idea what is going on, the above link works though everyone, use that one for now.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 20:18
Since I am doing partial drops, I am being charged 12 dollars for every day of food I will have in my drops, if I were to do it for the whole trail it would be 2,000 including shipping as of now, that number could go up if shipping costs increase. For me though, its 12 dollars for every day of food I plan to have in all of my mail drops.

Kirby

Postage rates just went up this summer, you're safe. No doubt with a professional doing the drops you'll be eating VERY well. No ramen or other cheapo crap.

BTW, you said on your journal that you wouldn't bore people with some of the details. Other hikers aren't bored with the details, that's why there's a special part of your journal just for equipment. There is a lot of vicarious hiking going on. People talk a lot about equipment at least until Neels Gap, where some fine-tuning happens.

Since you've already hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness solo, all you have to do is repeat that twenty times and you've got a thru-hike!

Kirby
10-01-2007, 20:31
I may add something about gear, but in the writing part itself, there will be nothing really about gear. But I will update the actual gear section, thanks for the advice, forgot that other hikers sometimes enjoy that stuff.

Kirby

Blissful
10-01-2007, 21:13
Hey Kirby, you can e-mail and / or PM Paul Bunyan (he is also on Facebook). He started the trail at age 16 - turned 17 at the Cabin in Maine. Everyone asked him what he was doing about school (he was home schooled and also had taken a semester of community college)and most agreed that being on the trail was the best lesson he could learn. It was really tough for him but boy, I am so proud he hung in there all the way to the end.

So hang in there and do it!!

BTW - he is working this fall at the SPCA until the winter term starts. We were too late to make it back for the fall semester.

Frosty
10-01-2007, 21:21

KirbyYou can't go wrong with Pittsburgh. Except for being a Steeler fan, he is an incredible guy. I'd trust him with anything.

Frosty
10-01-2007, 21:25
Sounds like a great hike. You are lucky to have a supportive father. Many fathers would be opposed to an adventure such as you are are having. The requirement to hike with a group might seem a little restrictive at first, but should not implact your hike. I'll bet within a week you will have formed what Uncle Tom calls a "tribe."

You ought to have a blast.

Lots of folks are planning on starting March 1. I might starrt that day myself. If so, hope to meet you.

rafe
10-01-2007, 22:34
I do not participate in, or the support the use of, any substance that, from my vantage point, os considered illegal.

Uh huh. Right. I hope you're considering a career other than law. ;)

skinny minnie
10-01-2007, 22:44
I can understand what he may be thinking because there are indeed many opportunities for a young man to become the prey of women of low morals

I'm sorry, but I found that to be mildly entertaining. Not that predators are at all amusing but really? Women of loose morals preying on innocent highschoolers whilst out on the trail? Say it isn't so!

warren doyle
10-02-2007, 09:40
Interesting.
I'm always interested in group (of more than three people) hikes of the trail - almost all have imploded along the way.
I'll be leading/organizing my eighth, and probably last, circle expedition up the entire trail in 2010. First preparation session is May 2008 right before Damascus Trail Days.
More info can be found on my website below.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2007, 11:27
it's too bad you just can't hit the trail with 4 grand in your pocket, no itinerary, mail drops, etc. i would wait til i was older and make my own decisions.

Kirby
10-02-2007, 14:45
The only thing my dad has required is that I hike with a group, and that I finish all missed work for school ahead of time. Besides that, this is 100% my hike, he has done little on the planning front, if anything at all. In the end, this is my hike, and I am doing it the way I want it to be done.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-02-2007, 14:53
it's too bad you just can't hit the trail with 4 grand in your pocket, no itinerary, mail drops, etc. i would wait til i was older and make my own decisions.

L. Wolf, read Kirby's entry at Trail Journals and his other comments on WhiteBlaze. He created this opportunity through not a small amount of effort, is making his own decisions, and he can hike the trail again later in life. Certainly you know of some people who have hiked it more than once?

There is also the possibility that the group implodes, as a male of low morals who selfishly used this thread to advertise his own circle whatever pointed out. At that point, Kirby will be quite ready to hike on to Katahdin. He's already proved he can do a long section solo.

Mother's Finest
10-02-2007, 17:50
I just read the Trail Journal page.

I have to admit that some of your posts a couple months back seemed mildly annoying Kirby. That was what you call a first impression.

Second impression: this young man is no joke--he has a plan and is going to make it happen. Way to go young brother. You will hike from Georgia to Maine next year.

My bet--Kirby will be hiking with his own group inside of the first month.

peace
mf

Miss Janet
10-03-2007, 02:19
"Every three years or so Journeys to Inspire Inc. hosts a truly extraordinary long distance hiking expedition traversing various trails throughout the United States."

This is mentioned on the website but I couldn't find anything about past long hikes.

I wish you all the best!

Nightwalker
10-03-2007, 05:16
They are a fundraising organization, I paid $300 dollars to go with them, the money benefits NAMI of greater Milwaukee, where they are based. My dad demanded I hike with people so this was the best bet, and I found $300 dollars to be worth it to be able to hike the entire Appalachian Trail at my young age.

Kirby

NAMI is a pretty good group. They're more for the families than the ill person themselves, but the families need support as well.

Nightwalker
10-03-2007, 05:21
You can't go wrong with Pittsburgh. Except for being a Steeler fan, he is an incredible guy. I'd trust him with anything.

He is a true gentleman. I'm thinking about doing GA again with him in November. I hope he brings the dog!

Shane! Come Back!
10-04-2007, 10:26
"Every three years or so Journeys to Inspire Inc. hosts a truly extraordinary long distance hiking expedition traversing various trails throughout the United States." This is mentioned on the website but I couldn't find anything about past long hikes. I wish you all the best!

Maybe too new for a beefy hiking resume? The group’s first and only IRS return filed 4/4/2007 lists no income, no assets, no expenses.

Nonprofits’ IRS returns are public record, can be examined online at GuideStar.org.

Kirby
10-04-2007, 15:43
This is their first sponsored long distance hike, but they both have backpacked plenty, and have researched a massive amount for the trail.

Kirby

warren doyle
10-04-2007, 16:36
Ah, the plot thickens.

Kirby
10-04-2007, 18:58
Ah, the plot thickens.

Indeed it does. If you have any questions for them, please feel free to call them, they are very nice people (not intended for you dirrently Warren, everyone in general) who will answer your quesyions to the best of their ability.

Kirby

Kirby
10-04-2007, 19:01
Clarification: In the straight forward thread I said I supported the use of illegal substances, that was meant to say I do NOT support the use of illegal substances.

Kirby

rickb
10-06-2007, 07:44
Warren's comments about most groups of more than 3 people imploding are critical ones. With 30,000 AT miles under his boots he has seen alot.

While I can't speak from experience as to whether or not this is true, my assumption is that other multiple thru hikers like Lone W. and Baltimore Jack will back this up.

My gut tells me that Warren is spot on-- that there have been very few groups of 5 or more people who have started at Springer and reached Katahdin.

And fewer still comprised of strangers, with out even one former thru hiker among them.

I think this is very critical to take into account.

Why? If for no other reason than to have a back up plan should members of your team drop by the wayside with invisible soft-tissue injuries (or insist on recovering in town for a week), or the the group leader decides to slow to a pace that guaranees you will never get north of NJ "Because Katahdin isn't all that important anyway". Or push too hard and sacrifice the joy of a thru hike. Or the one hiker with the moxie to go the distance with you turns out to be a jerk. Or whatever.

What kind of back up plan? Not for me to say. But you can bet I would be writing home to dad about the larger AT family from day one! In any event, one thing comes through loud and clear in all you posts-- you got it together. I have no doubt you will have a great hike!

Jack Tarlin
10-10-2007, 19:41
Just saw Rick's post above.

I think it makes a good deal of sense.

While I wish Kirby great luck with his trip, I think that he should be aware of the possibility that things might not work out exactly as originally planned......and he should definitely have alternatives in mind just in case this happens.

Kirby
10-10-2007, 19:51
Just saw Rick's post above.

I think it makes a good deal of sense.

While I wish Kirby great luck with his trip, I think that he should be aware of the possibility that things might not work out exactly as originally planned......and he should definitely have alternatives in mind just in case this happens.

If the group implodes, I plan on continuing my way to Katahdin, I do not plan to stop my trip because the group is falling apart, and I am not even sure if I would wait one to two weeks in a town waiting for a fellow member of my group to recover. We are only four people, which is not to bad, and we will see how things go, a strong plan is in place to get where we need to go.

Either way, I am going GA>ME next year, with or without people walking every step with me(by that I mean literally people walking with me in a group).

Kirby
30-5-2???

Jack Tarlin
10-10-2007, 19:55
Kirby:

Great response, and the right one, too!!

mudhead
10-10-2007, 20:04
Hey fellow Mainer!

I think what R was trying to tell you was to start working on the old man from day 1. If your alternate plan occurs, you might say come and find me, or have your dad say call every 5 days. Depends on your pops mental picture of the trail at the time.

Reread that post. He said it better.

Kirby
10-10-2007, 20:30
I plan to keep in touch with him, I am doubting he would force me to leave the trail if my group falls apart. I am already hinting at the fact that the group could be seperated for days at a time, and he seems fine. He is also aware that every few days I will have access to a phone so I can call him.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-10-2007, 20:35
That sounds good,. The main thing, which is probably hard for your father to believe, is that you are never truly alone on the A.T. There may be a couple of days when you see only a couple of people. I suspect that you would probably naturally find a different group to hang out with, if that is possible given your father's concerns. Mudhead is giving good advice but you probably already have more than one backup plan.

Kirby
10-10-2007, 20:43
If I naturally find a group that I enjoy hiking with more than my planned group, I will have a conversation with my group about that, and, if I honestly felt it was in my better interest to leave one group for another, I would do so, only after careful consideration and weighing the impacts my decision will have.

Kirby

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 20:44
If they start to fall apart you can always use them for food.

Frosty
10-10-2007, 20:49
If I naturally find a group that I enjoy hiking with more than my planned group, I will have a conversation with my group about that, and, if I honestly felt it was in my better interest to leave one group for another, I would do so, only after careful consideration and weighing the impacts my decision will have.

KirbyYou're wise beyond your years. I'm sure you will have a great hike no matter how things turn out.

Kirby
10-10-2007, 20:49
If they start to fall apart you can always use them for food.

It might be difficult to leave no trace though.;)

Kirby

The Weasel
10-10-2007, 22:06
It might be difficult to leave no trace though.;)

Kirby

Pack it in, pack it out.

TW

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:08
Or use the left overs for the fire.

The Weasel
10-10-2007, 22:13
Dammit Rock, it's people like you leaving all those bones in the fire pits at shelters that are just wrecking it up for the rest of us, you know? If Kirby is going to eat any of his companions, the least he can do is leave a clean fire pit and haul the bones out to the nearest trail head. It just really irks me when I roll in late in the afternoon to a campsite or shelter and have to empty the skulls and femurs and all that out so I can get warm. So be a decent influence on him, OK?

Sheesh

TW

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:19
At least I pick the foil out.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:23
Dammit Rock, it's people like you leaving all those bones in the fire pits at shelters that are just wrecking it up for the rest of us, you know? If Kirby is going to eat any of his companions, the least he can do is leave a clean fire pit and haul the bones out to the nearest trail head. It just really irks me when I roll in late in the afternoon to a campsite or shelter and have to empty the skulls and femurs and all that out so I can get warm. So be a decent influence on him, OK?

Sheesh

TW

Bone marrow makes a delicious ramen noodle sauce.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:24
Bone marrow makes a delicious ramen noodle sauce.
OHHHHH:eek: I never thought of that - but that sounds good.:banana

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:26
OHHHHH:eek: I never thought of that - but that sounds good.:banana

You know this can only go downhill from here but I'm hoping to be a good influence. Or is it too late?

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:28
Kirby is either going to avoid me like the plague next year on the trail or he will offer me some ramen with some goop all over it.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:30
Kirby is either going to avoid me like the plague next year on the trail or he will offer me some ramen with some goop all over it.

Why once in a while it's good to spend some time at whiteblaze. You know not to eat the marrow-noodle-soup.

dixicritter
10-10-2007, 22:31
Y'all just ain't right....LOL.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:32
Well if Kirby is a good sport he'll think this is funny. If he is all serious he will be mad tommorrow when he gets up for school and sees this.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:34
Well if Kirby is a good sport he'll think this is funny. If he is all serious he will be mad tommorrow when he gets up for school and sees this.

I'm hoping for the former. There seems to be a good spirit in there that will see more clearly this world when his wind calms.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:34
Yes, and in my experience folks that can mix serious with a sense of humor do better at hiking.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:41
Yes, and in my experience folks that can mix serious with a sense of humor do better at hiking.

Yes, otherwise the fun of the adventure seems to turn into a run-on cuss word. But I've never swore on the trail.:rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
10-10-2007, 22:42
I'm more concerned about the people from Journeys to Inspire seeing it. They may not let Kirby go after all, or be too frightened to even go out on the trail. The may see this as a threat and use pepper spray on you guys. If there's any left over, you can use it to season them.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:48
I'm more concerned about the people from Journeys to Inspire seeing it. They may not let Kirby go after all, or be too frightened to even go out on the trail. The may see this as a threat and use pepper spray on you guys. If there's any left over, you can use it to season them.

Too bad there's no such thing as Garlic Salt Spray.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 22:49
I'll get duling banjos on my Mp3 player and sneak around their camp at night playing it.

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 22:50
I'll get duling banjos on my Mp3 player and sneak around their camp at night playing it.

Be sure to dub over some snortin' squeeling pig sounds.

The Weasel
10-10-2007, 23:27
You know this can only go downhill from here but I'm hoping to be a good influence. Or is it too late?

Too late? How old are you? Subtract a year and yeah, that's how late you are. Rock is picking foil, others are making Kirby's (late) hiking partners into ramen sauce, and YOU'RE the good influence?

Kirby, forget the AT. Come out and do the PCT. They don't even eat the illegals who are on the trail with you. Most are pretty nice, too. But if you're staying there, hike with Rock a bit before you slay him (he's a wuss...trust me...all the fight is gone now that he's back in Dixi's arms) and use him as a supplemental food source.

TW

warraghiyagey
10-10-2007, 23:45
Too late? How old are you? Subtract a year and yeah, that's how late you are. Rock is picking foil, others are making Kirby's (late) hiking partners into ramen sauce, and YOU'RE the good influence?

Kirby, forget the AT. Come out and do the PCT. They don't even eat the illegals who are on the trail with you. Most are pretty nice, too. But if you're staying there, hike with Rock a bit before you slay him (he's a wuss...trust me...all the fight is gone now that he's back in Dixi's arms) and use him as a supplemental food source.

TW

Huh? I was a good influence lots of times last year.:)

Kirby
10-14-2007, 14:05
This has been quite humerous to read, I will be sure to practice LNT when eating my hiking companions. I will be sure to pack everything out. Rock, you are starting a montn earlier than I, I will most likely not see you on the trail.

Kirby
30-5-2???

SGT Rock
10-14-2007, 14:15
I'll be taking some zeros. I may end up behind you ;)

Bearpaw88
02-05-2008, 04:25
Hey I know I am not an unbiased party, being that I am a founder of JTI but I wanted to answer a few questions that popped up on the forum. This is our first Expedition as an organization. Our mission as an organization is to organize hikers to use hiking trails recreationally and responsibly and to promote environmental stewardship through trail building and maintenance.
We were founded in 2005, and right now Everyone in the org is working on a solely volunteer basis. None of us is getting any money out of this. We are a grassroots org which means we are not bringing in millions or even thousands. We have little finances but make up with it by our volunteer hours. Myself and the Executive Director have put in hundreds of volunteer hours in starting JTI and we have put in hundreds of volunteer hours with the Ice Age National Scenic Trail doing trail maintenance. This is why in our first year as one of you mentioned we showed no assets/income.
We also know our itinerary will change and that not all us us might make it or even stick together. But being pessimistic doesn't get anyone anywhere. Just because it is improbable doesn't mean it is impossible.
With that said we know that some will scrutinize our organization, but we have the chance to prove ourselves on the trail....
Thanks
Bearpaw88:sun

Kirby
02-05-2008, 07:28
I see you found the thread, good.

Kirby

warren doyle
02-05-2008, 13:07
I wish you well on your first AT Expedition.

Another opportunity for group travel on the AT:

The first preparation period for the 2010 AT Circle Expedition (a 127-day highly task-oriented and van-supported thru-hike) will be May 13-16, 2008 right before Damascus Trail Days.

More info can be found at the website below.

Appalachian Tater
02-05-2008, 13:26
Warren Doyle, you have reached a new all-time low hijacking a thread started by a hiker about the organization he is hiking with to advertise for people to pay for your van support for your up-coming slack-pack. I knew you had no shame but I thought there might be some limits to your poor behavior and self-propagandizing. I was wrong.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2008, 13:29
Warren Doyle, you have reached a new all-time low hijacking a thread started by a hiker about the organization he is hiking with to advertise for people to pay for your van support for your up-coming slack-pack. I knew you had no shame but I thought there might be some limits to your poor behavior and self-propagandizing. I was wrong.

go away you whiney beotch

Jan LiteShoe
02-05-2008, 13:53
Myself and the Executive Director have put in hundreds of volunteer hours in starting JTI and we have put in hundreds of volunteer hours with the Ice Age National Scenic Trail doing trail maintenance. This is why in our first year as one of you mentioned we showed no assets/income.
We also know our itinerary will change and that not all us us might make it or even stick together. But being pessimistic doesn't get anyone anywhere. Just because it is improbable doesn't mean it is impossible.

Hey BearPaw, welcome.

You'll probably notice we're a bit fond of this young man, Kirby.
I hope you all have a blast.

As a Milwakeean born, with a brother still living in Frankseville west of Racine, I've been toying with doing some of the Ice Age Trail this summer if I can get free. I just ordered the guidebook.
So thanks for your work on that trail. We have an ongoing Ice Age Trail thread, you can search the site. Perhaps, before and after, you can add your two cents if you have time (pre-thru? haha!.:))

And, if I may say so, March 1 as a starting date rocks!
:banana

ScottP
02-05-2008, 13:59
JTI keeps 30% of all donations to fund their costs, including the website, etc. Is this amount fair? Sounds very fair to me. It's far better than most charity organizations do, and charities relating to health issues typically have operating costs on the high side. If they are raising around $15,000/year, then this 30% probably does not even come close to covering their costs (website, mailings, transportation to volunteering sites, etc.)

Best of luck guys

warren doyle
02-05-2008, 14:09
Post #89 - Classic internegatorese.

Alligator
02-05-2008, 14:16
Post #89 - Classic internegatorese.Well you did plug your "expedition" twice in this thread w/o really discussing the thread topic:rolleyes:. You could have easily chatted some with Kirby rather than promoting your own interests.

Interesting.
I'm always interested in group (of more than three people) hikes of the trail - almost all have imploded along the way.
I'll be leading/organizing my eighth, and probably last, circle expedition up the entire trail in 2010. First preparation session is May 2008 right before Damascus Trail Days.
More info can be found on my website below.

I wish you well on your first AT Expedition.

Another opportunity for group travel on the AT:

The first preparation period for the 2010 AT Circle Expedition (a 127-day highly task-oriented and van-supported thru-hike) will be May 13-16, 2008 right before Damascus Trail Days.

More info can be found at the website below.

Kirby
02-05-2008, 15:55
JTI keeps 30% of all donations to fund their costs, including the website, etc. Is this amount fair? Sounds very fair to me. It's far better than most charity organizations do, and charities relating to health issues typically have operating costs on the high side. If they are raising around $15,000/year, then this 30% probably does not even come close to covering their costs (website, mailings, transportation to volunteering sites, etc.)

Best of luck guys

You are correct, that is fairly average. They should be happy with that 30%, a lot of charities have higher over-head costs.

Jan:
You are presenting at 10am on the 1st at ASP, I'm going to try to stick around for your presentation, but it might be cutting it close.

Kirby

Bearpaw88
02-06-2008, 15:37
Jan- Thanks, I will check out the Ice Age Trail Thread. I have tons of great info on the IAT.

Scott- Your right the 30% doesn't come close to covering our overhead. Much comes out of our pocket. It's something we believe in and we think it is worth waiving any compensation and paying some overhead ourselves.

Ender
02-06-2008, 16:10
Kirby,

I just checked out your journal, and I have to say, at age 16, you are way more level headed and adult than I ever hoped to be at that age (And possibly more so than I even am now). Anyway, best of luck on your journey. Enjoy every step, even the sucky ones, because it's often the suckiest times that we remember the most fondly.

Jan LiteShoe
02-06-2008, 16:17
Jan:
You are presenting at 10am on the 1st at ASP, I'm going to try to stick around for your presentation, but it might be cutting it close.

Kirby

Hey Kirby,

No worries about making the presentation. Just stop by and say hi earlier, if your feet get to itching. I don't think I'll be hard to find, and I'll be arriving Friday night.

I'd love to meet you in person before you set out, and shake your hand on your start date.

Your most excellent March 1 start date, I might add...
:sun

jzakhar
02-06-2008, 16:41

Best of luck guys

That seems like a fair number, I would be surprised if 5,000 even covered the yearly costs of the server and bandwidth.

mweinstone
02-06-2008, 17:07
the kid aint stayin wit no group fer long. hes had a taste of us! after a few hundred miles with a timid group, kirbys inner trash will kick in and he'll join up with real hikers. and he'll finnish alone to boot! watch. kirby saw how we act. that small peak into our goings on was all it will take. hes a hiker. not a follower. and dads gonna be just fine.