PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking

frankc
10-01-2007, 22:30
So if all else fails for my plans for my thru-hike in 08 I would like to section hike for about a month and a half. I would like to go NOBO. Where would you suggest for me to start? I would like to try and hike the most "woodsy" areas with an abundance of wildlife (not including the miniture bears...mice). Also I would like to try and start at an area where I will come across quite a bit of thru-hikers and such, as I enjoy the social scene on the trail as much as everything else. Ideas?

rafe
10-01-2007, 22:35
Start at Springer then. "Woodsy" would include 99% of the AT. For company, no better place than Georgia in March-April... ;)

Tennessee Viking
10-01-2007, 22:36
Fontana to Damascus is pretty popular. We have Trail Days in Damascus, then most of everyone will join up at Kincora Hostel in Dennis Cove for HardCore. So if you hit Damascus just right, it will be a blast.

The section has a number of balds and woody areas, and wildlife is abundant. Has some of the most popular shelters; Overmoutain, Roan High, & Mountaineer.

frankc
10-01-2007, 23:28
I forgot to mention I will be heading out in late May, maybe early June. That may make a difference in your suggestions.

rafe
10-02-2007, 02:11
I forgot to mention I will be heading out in late May, maybe early June. That may make a difference in your suggestions.

The wave of NOBOs will be in central Virginia during that time. Pearisburg or Cloverdale or Waynesboro.

Tennessee Viking
10-02-2007, 02:39
Trail Days is mid May so, you can head in on the celebration, and head out on the sectioning.

Tennessee Viking
10-02-2007, 02:44
head out after the celebration

Lone Wolf
10-02-2007, 06:25
Trail Days is mid May so, you can head in on the celebration, and head out on the sectioning.

hell no!! way too crowded

Tin Man
10-02-2007, 08:49
It would seem the social scene (hiking with lots of thru-hikers) and seeing lots of wildlife are mutually exclusive objectives.

Lilred
10-03-2007, 00:23
I wouldn't worry about getting in with the thru hikers. You'll meet plenty of people anywhere on the trail at that time. I'd start at Springer and just head as far north as you can get. The thru hikers in Central Virginia will be outhiking you by miles every day anyhow. You'll get to know a few people and a couple days later they'll be gone. There will be late starting thru hikers in Late May as well. I'd start at Springer.

warraghiyagey
10-03-2007, 00:35
Unless you insist on a northward direction you might consider strarting at Katahdin and heading south. There will be company for you starting Late May or June 1 but you won't be overcrowded.
You'll be amongst people starting their thru hike and will enjoy six weeks of very woodsy areas and alot of time above the tree line of the mountains of Maine and NH.
Enjoy.:)

rafe
10-03-2007, 00:38
Going SOBO is like eating dessert first. OTOH, life is uncertain, so why not.

Doctari
10-03-2007, 12:54
FWIW:
Im doing a 22 day section from Hughse gap to Atkins April 18 to about May 10.

I may delay that to end of May to ??? cause early June I get 103 hours MORE vacation, so could be on the trail 44+ days. :D :D :D

So, if you cant Thru, , , , ,

Doctari.

Doctari
10-03-2007, 13:04
OOPS, delay to hit trail June 11th to July 13th or so. So on trail about 32 days. Neat thing is, my boss suggested it.

gumball
10-03-2007, 17:53
I've never been disappointed in a VA section hike. Move there in a heart beat if I could. I am especially fond of the Mt. Rogers area and on thru to Damascus, but anywhere in VA is great to section.

Gum