PDA

View Full Version : question about mosquitos and black flies in NH and ME

Cerridwen
10-01-2007, 22:44
This past spring I hiked 1000 miles: GA-VA and NJ-NH. This coming spring my father and I plan on hiking the remaining 1100 together. We were hoping to start in March or April in VA and hike up to the Delaware Water Gap, PA-we estimate that this will take two months (I averaged 100miles a week during my thru). We would then get a ride up to Lyme, NH and hike to Katahdin-about another month.
My concern is that if we start this early down south, that we will be arriving up north in May or June and I have heard that this is peak black fly season. When I was up north this past spring in May and June, the bugs (mosquitos, black flies, gnats )were quite a burden by the time I got into Mass. and Vermont.
Should I expect them to be this bad, worse, or is it fairly unpredictable? I realize that the season can vary depending on weather conditions and such, what are the factors? If anyone could help me with these questions it would be a great help to me. Thanks so much!

Jim Adams
10-01-2007, 23:02
I'm not real familiar with the bug seasons in New England but I can relate to the same distance north in Canada. Usually in southern Ontario the black flies begin about the second week in June and last about 3 weeks. The mosquitos then start and run until the weather turns too cool for them, usually about the second or third week of August.
One thing that may help you with the decisions as to when and where to camp. Black flies breed in moving water and mosquitos bleed in standing water. If you are in an area of heavy bug concentration, try to camp on a point or exposed height of land and hope for a breeze.
Cover up, take deet with you and good luck.

geek

rafe
10-02-2007, 01:34
Bugs are a pain in New England in the spring. Bring lots of DEET. This is why I prefer to hike in the fall. This is why SOBO hikes don't begin until June, at the earliest.

I remember a hike on midsummer's day (June 21.) Stopped at a swamp near Holt's Ledge (near Lyme or Etna NH) to photograph some beautiful wild iris. In the 60 seconds or so that it took to dig out the camera and snap the photo, I must have picked up several dozen mosquito bites. It was insane.

Blue Jay
10-02-2007, 02:23
Black flies are your main concern. The factors are very open and will be hard to predict in advance as you'll be hiking thru thousands of micro climates. Black flies do not like extreme hot or cold as soon as you get a week of 80F they are gone most places but can ambush you from shaded places. They breed in streams which also moderate the surrounding temperatures. A wet spring can add to their dog like bites, conversly a dry spring can limit their season. Bottom line wet, cool bad and hot dry good, unless you like to drink water.

Phoenix Rising
10-02-2007, 02:49
An alternate to DEET for mosquitoes is vitamin B1, which is not toxic and safe for the body. Start taking it about a month prior to hiking and they won’t bite. I did this for an August camping trip in NH and while on a trip in Madagascar during the rainy season and never got a single bite on either adventure.

Auntie Mame
10-02-2007, 02:50
What a super thing to be doing with a parent! Living in Maine, I'd not want to be hiking in May for more than a day at a time. June is still bad as you go north. Breezy heights help, but wooded trails and campsites are buggy. April would be icy in places. August - Oct in the northern mtns is ideal.

Roland
10-02-2007, 05:41
~
My concern is that if we start this early down south, that we will be arriving up north in May or June and I have heard that this is peak black fly season. When I was up north this past spring in May and June, the bugs (mosquitos, black flies, gnats )were quite a burden by the time I got into Mass. and Vermont.
~

Your concern is legitimate. In my corner of the world, it is said that the blackfly season runs from Mother's Day to Father's Day. That seems to coincide with your schedule.

~
Should I expect them to be this bad, worse, or is it fairly unpredictable? I realize that the season can vary depending on weather conditions and such, what are the factors? If anyone could help me with these questions it would be a great help to me. Thanks so much!

Blackflies are worse in Maine, than Mass and VT. I was ready to say the same about NH, however so much of the Trail is on the breezy ridge, that it may not be any worse than you've already experienced. There are plenty of other non-AT trails in NH where the bugs can be worse than on the long ridge-walks.

~
I realize that the season can vary depending on weather conditions and such, what are the factors? ~

You're right about that. This spring had the mildest blackfly season I can remember (in ME and NH). I really don't know exactly what factors affect bug population. Some say it is related to rain levels, yet I've seen bad seasons in wet and dry years. Others say temperature is the key, yet I've never seen much correlation. But even if we knew exactly what the contributing factors were, the fact remains that we cannot control these variables.

If you're going to hike in ME and NH in late May, early June, be prepared for plenty of bugs. Fortunately, it's still cool enough to allow long pants and sleeves. That will be your best protection. Some use headnets, though I think they are annoying, especially when walking.

mudhead
10-02-2007, 09:14
I bought a spring-ring headnet a few years back. OK for sleeping, but can't get the walking thing down.

Good insurance.

I think ice and mud are issues. May can be funky.

naturejunkie
10-11-2007, 17:39
I thought the mosquitoes were worse than the black flies in Maine. The black flies are annoying and do things like fly into your eyes and mouth, but the mosquitoes are seemingly much more vicious. Of course, I was applying copious amounts of Deet. Although I try not to think about the fact that deet melts certain plastics. :eek:

The Solemates
10-11-2007, 17:55
we have been hiking twice in maine during may/june, and once was on our thru hike. the black flies are overrated. they are not that bad. not nearly as bad as some of the other places Ive hiked. unless the years I was there were exceptionally low bug years, people blow it out of proportion.

woodsy
10-11-2007, 18:11
[quote Roland]This spring had the mildest blackfly season I can remember (in ME and NH). I really don't know exactly what factors affect bug population.According to a wildlife biologist i spoke with this summer, the Black Fly population was way down this year due to the late/heavy snow fall and late melt/runoff which kept the mountain streams too cold for normal hatching. First time in recent memory this has happened.

Read more FAQs about the Maine State Bird (http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html)here

Roland
10-11-2007, 18:23
According to a wildlife biologist i spoke with this summer, the Black Fly population was way down this year due to the late/heavy snow fall and late melt/runoff which kept the mountain streams too cold for normal hatching. First time in recent memory this has happened.

Read more FAQs about the Maine State Bird (http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html)here

I didn't miss 'em a bit!

mudhead
10-11-2007, 18:40
Only the trout missed them.

Kirby
10-11-2007, 18:51
In a normal year, black flies can be rediculous in June and July, mosquitos are just as bad. They coordinat their efforts to make your hike miserable, poor SOBOders going through Maine during that time period.

Kirby