PDA

View Full Version : Any FLIP FLOP'ers out there???

Dee
11-12-2003, 22:34
Does anyone have any information on the AT regarding thru-hikers who have completed a flip flop.
Looking for information on how many successful attempts, how recent the attempts; when did they start, and when did they finish.

Thanks in advance, Dee ;)

Rain Man
11-13-2003, 09:32
Does anyone have any information on the AT regarding thru-hikers who have completed a flip flop.
Looking for information on how many successful attempts, how recent the attempts; when did they start, and when did they finish.

Dee,

On Sunday I met "Mineral Mark" of Maryland, SOBO towards Deep Gap in GA. He started his flip-flop on March 29, ran out of money, took two months off to work, and was still completing his flip-flop. He seemed a very nice young man.

Rain Man

Grampie
11-13-2003, 10:56
Hi, I flipped during my 2001 thru. I had planed to do a traditional thru, but wasn't makeing good miles so me and my partner, Texas Jack, decided to flip. I started my hike as a NOBO on April 9th. I hiked north to Duncannon, PA. On July 13th, took a week off and went to Maine. Started SOBO on July 21st and finished my thru on Oct.12th in Duncannon.
I think flipping gave me the peace of mind to know that I would be finishing with enough time and good weather but; The last part of my hike the trail was deserted. Spent the last four nights alone. Finished at the Doyle Hotel with knowone to celebrate with. It was nice to meet most of my trail friends once again, as I headed south. Once they passed, around Hanover, they were gone.
I did not meet many SOBO hikers. It seemed that most of the ones hiking, at that time of year were in too much of a hurry to keep going.
Flipping gives you at lot of options. The biggest one it allows you to extend your hiking season and take advantage of the weather. The drawback is all the folks you meet along the way will not be with you at the end. I think that's what I missed the most.
It's up to you to decide. Hike your own hike. Happy trails.
Grampie-N->2001 :sun

max patch
11-13-2003, 11:16
When I thru-hiked the only flip floppers I knew were hikers who realized they would not complete their hike by mid October so they decided during their hike to flip up to Maine and hike south. Delaware Water Gap was one popular location to flip from.

Times have changed and some hikers for one reason or another pre-plan their flip flop. Some suggestions and the rationale for same are on the ATC website at:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/itin.html

Personally, (and this is my personal opinion so no bashing please) I find it more satisfying to start at one terminus and continue in one direction and finish at the other.

Mr. Clean
11-13-2003, 14:33
I met "Detour" on Tuesday in the White mtns of NH who was headed south, and saw no reason why he won't finish. He is taking his time and enjoying himself. Seems like it could be fun to flip flop, but I'd think you could get lonely, and there would be nothing more impressive than finishing at Katahdin along the trail.

detour
12-17-2003, 15:03
I disagree with those who say its more satisfying to finish at one terminus or the other. I finished my flip flop this year at Delaware Water Gap on Nov.23.I would still do it the same way.I'm not a fast hiker,and I see no reason to become one.No one can deny that Katahdin is an amazing mountain to end on,but I don't see the point in rushing to get to it.Its the journey,not the destination. Loneliness can be a factor,but I never felt lonely,because I always felt the trail was where I belonged.Weather was also my concern.After I came through the Whites,which I had great weather,some SOBOs caught up to me and said they had knee deep snow there.I think the only person it matters to is yourself,whether you should flip flop or not.I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Detour

Former Easy
12-17-2003, 20:29
This thread might be a good candidate to be moved to the Thru-hiker area since it has nothing to do with shelters. I started a thread on the same topic early today in that area, since I didn't see this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I will doing a Flip this year starting in Harpers Ferry in Mid March then hiking south to Springer, then Harpers to Katahdin.

For me I see many advantages to this:

1) If your not a social hiker and like to hike alone, this keeps you out of the crowds in the south this time of year. But you will still meet people on the trail from time to time to not be too lonely.

2) If your not a partier or in recovery, A flip hike will surely be of benefit since the temptations to go into town with others to drink, will not be as big of a factor. The phrase "I'm a drinker with a hiking problem" doesn't apply in my case. Its more like "I'm a hiker that gets drunk turns mean and becomes a a$$hole" So for me its better to stay away from the temptations to drink.

3) Crowded shelters will not be as big of a concern, however I prefer not to stay in them unless its really storming and I don't want to set up camp.

4) You start on easier terrain and work your way up to more difficult while getting in shape. Yes I'll hit the roller coaster right of the bat, but in my opinion this stretch is a joke, and not as bad some make it sound. Its annoying if anything.

5)Its easier to get to Harpers Ferry than Springer, However I'll still have to deal with getting a ride out of Amicola Falls Lodge to Atlanta.

6) you still finish on Katahdin doing your second leg from Harpers Ferry north.

The biggest disadvantages I fore see, are services that won't be available this far north in March.

bluebird
12-17-2003, 20:50
Dee... I did a flip flop in 2001. I hiked the southern states north bound to the 'mid point' in PA then hiked the northern states south bound. I started at Springer Mtn on 4/9 and finished on 11/4.

I don't know the stats on flip flop hikes but the AT headquarters keeps track of those kinds of things.