PDA

View Full Version : Where to hike - Hot Springs NC

DawgU
10-02-2007, 11:33
I apologize for placing this in the gear forum, but I couldn't figure out where it should go. I'll be in Hot Springs next week and am looking for a few different day hikes. I'll have my son along, so on a scale of 1-5 (five the toughest), preferably nothing worse than a 4. Thanks!!

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2007, 12:25
You didn't say how old your son was, but even younger kids can handle the area around Hot Springs.

Number One on the list is to get out to Max Patch Mt. The good folks at Bluff Mt. Outfitters can provide a map or directions. A few nice short hikes would be to get dropped off at Garenflo Gap south of H.S. and walk back to town; a longer hike back is possible from Lemon Gap. There's also a road crossing about five or six miles north of town and you could walk back from there. Also, Rich Mt. Fire Tower north of town is very nice, and would be a nice day's walk back to town. There are other possibilities. Check in at Bluff Mt and talk to Dan or Wayne, (the owners) and they'll have all sorts of ideas for you.

DawgU
10-03-2007, 06:21
Perfect. Thank you.

joec
10-04-2007, 08:09
Tanyard Gap is 6 miles out of Hot Springs and would be great for a short hike. It ends along the French Broad river and the hike down from the mtn top to the river would be both beautiful and exciting for the kids.

ChinMusic
10-26-2007, 20:27
I'm glad I did a search for "Hot Springs" before starting a new thread. I'll be in Hot Springs in early November and have never been to this area.

How about a 2-day trip? I might have time for an over-nighter on my stay. I'd like it to include Max Patch.

ChinMusic
10-28-2007, 21:45
I'm glad I did a search for "Hot Springs" before starting a new thread. I'll be in Hot Springs in early November and have never been to this area.

How about a 2-day trip? I might have time for an over-nighter on my stay. I'd like it to include Max Patch.
anyone????

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:31
If I could get out there that early in Nov., I'd go and bring a friend. ( And some herbal remedies :)

Tennessee Viking
10-29-2007, 01:35
Max Patch is probably the most popular spot. Only about 20-30 minutes from Hot Springs.

Camp Creek Bald has great views. You can drop a car off at Allen Gap, and drive to the top, and hike down. 6-7 miles

For non-AT trails:
There is Laurel River Trail at the NC208/US25 & 70 intersection. It is an easy 3miler bike grade, but fun to explore. From the highway, you will follow a gravel road & dirt side trail along Laurel River. It is a great fishing and swimming river. Has numerous cascades. You follow Laurel River Runion, an abandoned lumber community. A number of foundations and chimneys still exist. After passing through Runion, you walk out to a railroad and mouth of the Laurel River emptying into the French Broad. You can link up a couple other trails that connect back up to the AT south of Tanyard Gap.

ChinMusic
10-29-2007, 10:34
My wife is not into hiking. What site-seeing things could I direct her toward? Any must-eat restaurants? etc.

I'm thinking after a few days in Hot Springs we would base out of Asheville, to give her more to do.

Jim Obermeyer
10-30-2007, 07:44
My wife is not into hiking. What site-seeing things could I direct her toward? Any must-eat restaurants? etc.

I'm thinking after a few days in Hot Springs we would base out of Asheville, to give her more to do.

My wife and I spent last weekend in Hot Springs. We stayed at the Broadwing Farm cabins. http://www.broadwingfarmcabins.com/ We've stayed quite a few times and really enjoy them esp. their hot tubs.
There's not much to see in Hot Springs but it's still a neat little town. The Bluff Mt. Outfitters http://www.bluffmountain.com/-Unguided can show you some good hiking trails.

Brushy Sage
10-30-2007, 19:06
Being aware of some of the history of the town will make the trip more interesting. This link will take you to a nineteenth century pamphlet on the great hotel at the (then) Warm Springs.

http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/howerton/howerton.html

Scroll down in the full html version, and note that this was a popular hiking area even then (and no doubt horse riding as well, due to distances). AT hikers will recognize some of the place names and even some of the trail descriptions. The hotel stood about where the spa is presently located.