PDA

View Full Version : extra wide air mattress

Adam B
10-02-2007, 12:08
First a few facts about me. I will always have my large 100lb+ dog with me where ever I go. He is an assistance dog and is trained not to be more then a few inches away from me. I hammock camp and the dog is trained to stay in the hammock with me. I want to use an insulated air mattress but for the life of me I can't find ones that are wide enough for me and my dog. It would need to be at least 30 inches wide for the two of us. I would prefer 36" if possible. I weigh about 130lbs.

I toyed with the idea of two pad together but then they seperate and it drives me nuts. I was hoping for some suggestions of mats that are wider then average.

Thanks
Adam

Adam B
10-02-2007, 12:21
By the way it only needs to be 65" long though a little longer wouldn't be the end of the world. I want synthetic insulation.

partinj
10-02-2007, 12:33
Hi Adam have you try Campmor.com they have a large stock of mats they also have straps that will hold to mats as one

Alligator
10-02-2007, 13:13
You might try sewing a fabric holder that has two sleeve pockets. Maybe even take two 3/4 pads and make a tee that way:-? .

jrwiesz
10-06-2007, 03:37
First a few facts about me. I will always have my large 100lb+ dog with me where ever I go. He is an assistance dog and is trained not to be more then a few inches away from me. I hammock camp and the dog is trained to stay in the hammock with me. I want to use an insulated air mattress but for the life of me I can't find ones that are wide enough for me and my dog. It would need to be at least 30 inches wide for the two of us. I would prefer 36" if possible. I weigh about 130lbs.

I toyed with the idea of two pad together but then they seperate and it drives me nuts. I was hoping for some suggestions of mats that are wider then average.

Thanks
Adam

This might be one to consider, the have others on their site if you care to search for others.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat20075-cat601642_TGP&id=0025938516444a&navCount=3&podId=0025938&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat601642&hasJS=true

Adam B
10-06-2007, 10:37
I have bought a couple z-rests for the time being, duct tape is my friend even if I can't fold it very well now. I was looking at the thermarest XL hunt series at about 4.25lbs, it might be my only choice. Abbey thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't begin to justify a 9-10lb mattress. What I don't understand is if they can make a 20" wide mat that weighs 1.5lbs, then why can't they make a 3lb 40" mat?

Roland
10-06-2007, 11:18
Adam,

Closed cell foam can be purchased in sheets and by the yard, in a wide variety of thicknesses. You can make your own 40" mat, or buy one from a place like this. (http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html)