PDA

View Full Version : Washing down bag

sheeptoast
10-02-2007, 14:49
A marmot never winter down bag is for sale by an outing club group in my area for 50$ and the fella told me that it is 3 years old and in need of a wash. I'm just curious if down decreases in effectiveness with age, and as long as it was well cared for and in good condition, is this a good deal?

SGT Rock
10-02-2007, 14:55
Depends on if the bag was well kept. A down bag can last a whole lot longet than 3 years, but I can understand wanting to get someone elses funk out before assuming control of a used bag.

Appalachian Tater
10-02-2007, 14:57
I would buy a used bag but maybe not from a group, at least not without seeing it first. You should discount the temperature rating for a down bag that is three years old that has been heavily used. Try looking for a used one from an individual or get one on sale.

taildragger
10-02-2007, 15:44
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marmot-Never-Summer-0-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Reg-RZ_W0QQitemZ200156800619QQihZ010QQcategoryZ87101QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

~70 seems to be about the norm for these bags. Personally, I'd just get a campmor bag new instead (on sale now) and not have to worry about post hiker funk syndrome (in the bag), or the fact that it may have lost some serious loft

shelterbuilder
10-02-2007, 15:47
If the original owner didn't abuse the bag on the trail (no burn holes or broken zippers, etc.) and didn't store it in the stuff bag, $50 seems reasonable. Get a GOOD down cleaner and take the bag to a laundrymat. FIND A FRONT-LOADING MACHINE and follow the instructions that come with the down cleaner. After the washing machine stops, lift the bag out SUPPORTING IT FROM UNDERNEATH so you don't tear any of the internal baffles and move it to a dryer, along with a pair of clean sneakers. Dry it slowly; as it dries, the sneakers will break up any down clumps, and they will also generate a small static charge that will help to fluff up the down.

If you blow out a seam, scoop up the loose down and stick it in a Zip-Loc bag and save it for later repair (yes, you can do this yourself - it's not that hard).

sheeptoast
10-02-2007, 15:54
thanks for the quick responses guys. I guess I'm going to go look at the bag and make the judgement call myself :rolleyes:. If the bag is in good condition but the loft is not in the best condition is their a way to inexpensively add loft?

Also thanks for the cleaning advice shelterbuilder.

SGT Rock
10-02-2007, 16:06
thanks for the quick responses guys. I guess I'm going to go look at the bag and make the judgement call myself :rolleyes:. If the bag is in good condition but the loft is not in the best condition is their a way to inexpensively add loft?

Also thanks for the cleaning advice shelterbuilder.
Swap the down. Itis easier than it sounds - but messy as hell.

zelph
10-02-2007, 16:42
A marmot never winter down bag is for sale by an outing club group in my area for 50$ and the fella told me that it is 3 years old and in need of a wash. I'm just curious if down decreases in effectiveness with age, and as long as it was well cared for and in good condition, is this a good deal?

Yes, it's a good deal as long as it was well cared for and in good condition.

Most important!!!! NEVER machine wash a down bag. Have it professionally dry cleaned only.

RadioFreq
10-02-2007, 16:56
Most important!!!! NEVER machine wash a down bag. Have it professionally dry cleaned only.

I've never seen anyone mention using professional dry cleaners along the trail. Did any of you thruhikers resort to this? Are there a lot of dry cleaning establishments along the trail? As a Big Agnes owner I am very interested in this topic.

:) T minus 17 months...and counting. :)

rafe
10-02-2007, 16:57

Sorry, Zelph, I can't agree at all. And I think I have some experience in the matter. I've got four down bags at this point, the oldest dating from the early 1970s. All bags (except the newest one) have survived multiple machine washings and dryings.

I do recommend, however, that the washing be done in a commercial front-loader (eg., at a laundromat) and not necessarily in one's own washing machine. And yes, the bag must be handled carefully while it's wet.

Footslogger
10-02-2007, 17:05
My experience in terms of washing down bags is the same as Terrapin's.

I own 4 - 5 down bags and have washed them all several times with excellent results.

I did NOT however, attempt to wash my bag during my thru.

I used a commercial large capacity front loading washer and something called "Down Wash" made by Nikwax. I followed the instructions on the bottle. Terrapin is correct about careful handling. A wet down bag is kinda like trying to grasp a handful of grape jam.

For drying I again used a large capacity commercial dryer and only dried one bag at a time on MEDIUM heat. I add about a dozen or so tennis balls to the dryer. This helps break up the clumps of down as the bag dries.

After each washing my bags have lofted up to their original height and although I have never actually measured the comfort pre and post washing I have never noticed a significant difference in the warmth of any of my bags after washing them.

'Slogger

The Old Fhart
10-02-2007, 17:07
I have a 35 degree (under 2 pound) L.L. Bean down bag I bought about 15 years ago at their outlet store for $50, which was about 1/3 of the original price. It is still going strong, but not smelling strong because I machine wash it every so often. I haven't found that it has lost any loft and I have washed it at home in a top loader on gentle but I wouldn't recommend it. I expect this bag to last for a good many years to come.

shelterbuilder
10-02-2007, 17:28
FWIW, I was aways told to use a front-loading washer as opposed to a top-loading one, because the agitator on a top-loader is rougher on the internal baffles than a front-loader, which simply flops the bag over and over. Down is heavy when it's wet, which is why you have to lift the bag out of the washer while supporting it from underneath - you could tear out baffles. I don't know if the dry cleaning processes have changed since I got my first bag (30 years ago), but back then there two different types of solvents - one was a petrochemical bases, the other one wasn't, and ONE of them strips the natural oils right out of the down, which supposedly isn't good for the bag. That's why I've never had my bags dry-cleaned.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

RadioFreq
10-02-2007, 17:35

'Slogger

So you just put up with the funk for your whole thru? :eek:

The Old Fhart
10-02-2007, 17:37
I believe dry cleaning is very bad for down. BTW, the gentle cycle on the top loader I had also allowed me to take the large agitator out and use a small one that didn't stress the bag.

Footslogger
10-02-2007, 17:46

========================================

Well ...not exactly. I bought a spray small bottle of Fabreeze early in my hike and kept it in my bounce box. Whenever it got too bad I gave the bag a dousing and hung it inside-out to air.

'Slogger

saimyoji
10-02-2007, 17:49

Yeah, with a trail name like Toot you'd think a wash was in order. :rolleyes:

Footslogger
10-02-2007, 17:53
Yeah, with a trail name like Toot you'd think a wash was in order. :rolleyes:

================================

Hey ...no fair. You're thread jumping !! Guess you do have a point though ...

'Slogger

rafe
10-02-2007, 18:09
Bag funk can be reduced somewhat by not sleeping nekkid. Toward this end I carry a silk base layer. Also for wearing in camp on cool evenings, but not while hiking. The idea is to keep the silk relatively free of sweat.

Appalachian Tater
10-02-2007, 18:13
Most sleeping bag manufacturers give cleaning instructions. My down Marmot bags have the instructions permanently attached by an embroidered tag and they say to wash the bag in a commercial washer, not dryclean. I don't have the particular model in question here. I'm sure the instructions are on the bag or readily available.

Oh, and bargain with them. Offer them $35 and maybe you can get it for $40 or $45.

Roland
10-02-2007, 18:22
Gary Peterson of Western Mountaineering states that the best way to restore loft to a down bag, is to machine wash it. If the bag is heavily soiled, 2-3 repeated washings are sometimes necessary to bring the bag to original condition.

On the lower-right of the Western Mountaineering (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/) homepage is a link to a podcast with Gary Peterson. The hour-long program includes one of the best discussions on the care and feeding of down bags that I've heard/seen anywhere. It's worth listening to.

(I tried posting a direct link to the podcast, but the owner of that site redirects traffic back to WB)

sweetpeastu
10-02-2007, 22:13
what about the laundry mat dryers that don't have a way to change the heat setting? I used those in college....i hated them.

peanuts
10-03-2007, 11:15
never dry clean a down bag, jacket, pillows, or conforters!!!

Creek Dancer
10-03-2007, 11:40
If you don't have a front loading washing machine, you can also wash the down bag in the bathtub. Use a plastic laundry basket, the kind with slats on the sides. The purpose of using the plastic laundry basket is to prevent putting too much stress on the baffles when the bag is wet. I read about this process on one of the down bag manufacturers websites. I have washed down bags a few times this way and had no problems.

Fill the tub with warm water and some soap specifically designed for down. Other soaps may get very sudsy and may be too harsh. Dunk the basket and bag in the tub. Gently squeeze the soapy water through the bag several times. Be careful turning the bag over in the basket to prevent putting too much stress on the baffles. Rinse the bag the same way with water until all the soap is gone. Gently squeeze out as much water as possible.

Dry on medium heat with tennis balls. Pull the bag out of the dryer several times and check for wet down clumps. Gently break those down if you can and put the bag back in the dryer. Repeat until it is completely dry.

This process takes a long time, but it's worth the effort. :sun

EMAN
10-10-2007, 23:55
There is also a product called ReLoft (got mine at REI)that helps refluff the down. I've washed my BA Horse Thief a couple of times with no problems.

gold bond
10-11-2007, 08:33
I hope this question is in line with this thread.
During a 11 day trek this summer in New Mexico my feet started geting cold at higher altitudes. I noticed that my down bag, a TNF Blue Kazoo, which has a "foot box" which is suppose to keep the bag off your feet had lost it's "loft". I tried fluffing my bag back up, turning it inside out and letting it sun by turning it inside out and laying it on top of my tent in the sun during the day. I've tried everything but washing it. I guess my question is has anyone else ever run into this situation or a similiar situation and has anyone got a solution. The bag will only be one year old this December. It is a twenty degree bag and I have used it in temps down to 9 degree's and have stayed toasty warm.I have been more than satisfied with this bag and three friends of mine have bought them one and are all satisfied as well.That being said I do use it at least one weekend a month year round.

shelterbuilder
10-11-2007, 08:47
I hope this question is in line with this thread.
During a 11 day trek this summer in New Mexico my feet started geting cold at higher altitudes. I noticed that my down bag, a TNF Blue Kazoo, which has a "foot box" which is suppose to keep the bag off your feet had lost it's "loft". I tried fluffing my bag back up, turning it inside out and letting it sun by turning it inside out and laying it on top of my tent in the sun during the day. I've tried everything but washing it. I guess my question is has anyone else ever run into this situation or a similiar situation and has anyone got a solution. The bag will only be one year old this December. It is a twenty degree bag and I have used it in temps down to 9 degree's and have stayed toasty warm.I have been more than satisfied with this bag and three friends of mine have bought them one and are all satisfied as well.That being said I do use it at least one weekend a month year round.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer about this? At only one year old, it doesn't seem like you should be having this problem, wash or no wash. They might have a technical idea or two that could shed some light on a solution.

gold bond
10-11-2007, 08:49
Thanks SB I will try and email them right now!

shelterbuilder
10-11-2007, 08:51
Thanks SB I will try and email them right now!

I know that this is a dumb question, but you're not storing the bag in the stuff sack, are you?:(

NoKnees
10-11-2007, 09:06
If you don't have a front loading washing machine, you can also wash the down bag in the bathtub. Use a plastic laundry basket, the kind with slats on the sides. The purpose of using the plastic laundry basket is to prevent putting too much stress on the baffles when the bag is wet. I read about this process on one of the down bag manufacturers websites. I have washed down bags a few times this way and had no problems.

Fill the tub with warm water and some soap specifically designed for down. Other soaps may get very sudsy and may be too harsh. Dunk the basket and bag in the tub. Gently squeeze the soapy water through the bag several times. Be careful turning the bag over in the basket to prevent putting too much stress on the baffles. Rinse the bag the same way with water until all the soap is gone. Gently squeeze out as much water as possible.

Dry on medium heat with tennis balls. Pull the bag out of the dryer several times and check for wet down clumps. Gently break those down if you can and put the bag back in the dryer. Repeat until it is completely dry.

This process takes a long time, but it's worth the effort. :sun

I have done this and I have used a comercial washer. In my limited opinion the points to remember are.

1) avoid pulling and twisting that would tear baffles.

2) use a mild soap/detergent that will not remove the downs natural oils.

3) wash well enough with a high enough soap concentration to get the funk out. (multiple washes maybe).

4) rinse very well. multiple rinses. Any remaining residue is not going to help loft.

5) dry well with tennis balls to restore the loft.. this takes a while.

Creek Dancer
10-11-2007, 09:18
Good summary! I forgot to add that it also helps to first soak the bag while it is still in the stuff sack. This helps prevent getting big air bubbles which can make completely submersing the bag in the water difficult. Just be careful to gently remove the bag from the stuff sack when it is wet.

gold bond
10-11-2007, 10:37
No SB I am not. I actually leave it laid out on a mat under our dining room table. The wife don't think much of it but nobody goes in that room anyway! When I do have to "put it away" it came with a large mesh bag and I put it in there and hang it in a closet till "my space" is back available. Gear comes first!!

gold bond
10-11-2007, 10:38
Oh by the way...I just emailed TNF and hopefully will get a response here soon. Thanks for the suggestion!!

gold bond
10-11-2007, 11:40
Just got a reply back from TNF. They want me to send it back in, prepaid of course, for evaluation. Anyone have experience in doing this?