PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember Roger's House of Weather?

Flush2wice
10-02-2007, 16:14
I'm curious to know if anyone remembers this hostel. It was near Glencliff, in a barn attached to his house. There was a pub downstairs and bunks in the loft. He invited us in to have cocktails and watch the McNeil Lehrer report. He fed us dinner and breakfast. Everything was free. I was there with about 8 other hikers and it was his 1st night in business. I thought it was one of the best stays on the trail. This was in '91. The owner's name was Roger and he also had a hostel in NY that I didn't get to stay at.
I haven't seen any mention of it on this forum but I bet someone here has some info.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2007, 16:16
I'm curious to know if anyone remembers this hostel. It was near Glencliff, in a barn attached to his house. There was a pub downstairs and bunks in the loft. He invited us in to have cocktails and watch the McNeil Lehrer report. He fed us dinner and breakfast. Everything was free. I was there with about 8 other hikers and it was his 1st night in business. I thought it was one of the best stays on the trail. This was in '91. The owner's name was Roger and he also had a hostel in NY that I didn't get to stay at.
I haven't seen any mention of it on this forum but I bet someone here has some info.

i stayed at his place on greenwood lake 20 years ago. didn't like the vibe

Flush2wice
10-02-2007, 16:21
I understand that. He definitely had a "vibe". I think we outnumbered him so much it didn't matter.

max patch
10-02-2007, 18:05

Rogers Appalachia Cottage. I arrived at the blue blaze very early in the afternoon. Too early to stop so I kept going and didn't check it out. Is he still around?

Spirit Walker
10-02-2007, 18:21
I stayed at both places - the one in New York in 1988 and the one in NH in 1992. They were good stays both time. We ate well and I seem to remember he had some good beer too.

hiker33
10-03-2007, 17:43
I met Roger Brickner at Cooper Brook Falls Leanto in Maine back in September of '83. He opened the weather museum in NH about 20 years ago. I had pretty much forgotten him. If he's still around he's probably quite elderly. He seemed like a nice guy, though I never stayed at either of the hostels he ran.