PDA

View Full Version : Training at home

-SEEKER-
10-02-2007, 18:31
For those of you who train throughout the year, and I know not everyone feels this is necessary, do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? Since I can't get to a trail except on weekends, I have started doing this along with riding my bike and doing some strength training. My S/O is embarrassed that I do this since we live in the city and the hills I use are in an upscale neighborhood. Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.:rolleyes:

N9ZYE
10-02-2007, 18:35
I do the same thing. My neighbor questioned me once. I explained myself and haven't heard anything else.

Skidsteer
10-02-2007, 18:35
For those of you who train throughout the year, and I know not everyone feels this is necessary, do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? Since I can't get to a trail except on weekends, I have started doing this along with riding my bike and doing some strength training. My S/O is embarrassed that I do this since we live in the city and the hills I use are in an upscale neighborhood. Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.:rolleyes:

If I load a pack I'm gonna go walk in the mountains somewhere.

Otherwise, I train by running.

Roland
10-02-2007, 18:41
~ Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.:rolleyes:
Cyndie,

When I was 16 or 17, I trained with the entire Comptons Encyclopedia in my Kelty Tioga.

Yeah, I was wacked!

Lion King
10-02-2007, 18:44

I do it every day...:D City walking that is...

I eat to train. Its a weakness, I love good food, whats a brother to do?

Nest
10-02-2007, 18:51
If you don't have anywhere else, then the city is better than nothing. I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. I do think it is good to get a lot of miles with a loaded pack to see if everything fits and will hold up. Some problems will only occur after a couple of hours with the pack on.

saimyoji
10-02-2007, 18:56
I load up my pack with extra weight on day/weekend hikes, but not for walking in the city. I would think a mugger would get one look at you, set you on your back and clean you out. :eek:

I do strength and cardio training at home daily. Well, I count my rest days as part of my training regimen. :)

wrongway_08
10-02-2007, 18:57
Another option is to get a treadmill and set it at a steep angle, load your pack up, put it on and speed walk a few miles. I dont know how steep the hills are by you but pretty sure the treadmill will give you more of a workout.
Dont know if its worth going out and buy'n one to do this but if you got one...... give it a try and let us know if it works.

Roland
10-02-2007, 18:57
~I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. ~

With all due respect, Zak, I don't think you are qualified to tell someone twice your age that training is not necessary. At 24, I could step off the couch and hike 25 miles with a 50 pound pack. At 50, it takes more prep/training, to be able to do that.

I know. I had the same attitude at your age. You'll find out! ;)

mudhead
10-02-2007, 19:00
Find stairs.

Ask your SO to come with you...

Lone Wolf
10-02-2007, 19:01
I do it every day...:D City walking that is...

I eat to train. Its a weakness, I love good food, whats a brother to do?

join us at General Pickett's Buffet for meals all weekend! :D

gardenville
10-02-2007, 19:09
I am 67 and I walk with or without my pack everyday. My walks range from 2 miles to 12 miles a day. I do it everyday rain or shine. I like the rainy days and I try out different rain gear to see how it works. My pack weight ranges from 12 to 25 pounds. I make about all my own gear and when I make a new pack I test it by carring it everyday.

If I am close to a hike date I walk closer to the 12 mile mark everyday. I have found it is nice to hit the trail and be able to hike 12 to 20 miles on day one "IF" I want to.

This also lets me get a chance to see how a new pair of shoes is working.

Last, I just feel much better walking that much everyday.

Muggers, that is what my trecking pole is for. Make my day.

Nest
10-02-2007, 19:20
With all due respect, Zak, I don't think you are qualified to tell someone twice your age that training is not necessary. At 24, I could step off the couch and hike 25 miles with a 50 pound pack. At 50, it takes more prep/training, to be able to do that.

I know. I had the same attitude at your age. You'll find out! ;)

I stand corrected there, I didn't even look at Cyndie's age.

Roland
10-02-2007, 19:22
I stand corrected there, I didn't even look at Cyndie's age.

It's excusable, Zak. At your age, we were all 10' tall and bulletproof.

-SEEKER-
10-02-2007, 19:28
If you don't have anywhere else, then the city is better than nothing. I don't think training is necessary though, I think you will train as you hike. I do think it is good to get a lot of miles with a loaded pack to see if everything fits and will hold up. Some problems will only occur after a couple of hours with the pack on.

In '06 and '07 I failed at achieving my section hike goals because of knee problems. I was doing 15 mile days with a 40lb pack. So that is why I am training this year as well as working on reducing my pack weight.

-SEEKER-
10-02-2007, 19:32
Another option is to get a treadmill and set it at a steep angle, load your pack up, put it on and speed walk a few miles. I dont know how steep the hills are by you but pretty sure the treadmill will give you more of a workout.
Dont know if its worth going out and buy'n one to do this but if you got one...... give it a try and let us know if it works.

Some of the hills are too steep to attempt to ride up them on a bike, unless you are a contender for the Tour de France! Cincinnati is known for it's Seven Hills.

Nest
10-02-2007, 20:07
It's excusable, Zak. At your age, we were all 10' tall and bulletproof.

Nah, I'm only bullet resistant. If I have my vest on that is.

At my age and physical condition it is hard to imagine not being able to throw a pack on and knock out 20 miles at the start of a trip. I see the advantage of training in that case. It allows you to make decent mileage from the start, and prevents injury.

Now as far as training, I think lunges with a pack on would be a good idea. That would really work the climbing muscles, and strengthen the knees.

Auntie Mame
10-02-2007, 20:30
Go, Cyndie, go!! I'll be out there doing the neighborhood stroll with my pack on, as soon as I get up the gumption to ask for 6 months off this spring. If I can arrange a leave from my job this year, I'll be heading out march 1 from GA. I feel strongly that we have to make bold moves as far as training goes, and we need to resist the weird influence of collective opinion. Mame

Skidsteer
10-02-2007, 20:53
Now as far as training, I think lunges with a pack on would be a good idea. That would really work the climbing muscles, and strengthen the knees.

Again, that's really good advice for 24 year olds and a very few 40-50 somethings.

But there are a lot of folks that, if they tried that straight off the couch, would be hunting you down.

Right after they get out of traction. ;)

Nest
10-02-2007, 21:05
Again, that's really good advice for 24 year olds and a very few 40-50 somethings.

But there are a lot of folks that, if they tried that straight off the couch, would be hunting you down.

Right after they get out of traction. ;)

Ok, then do then with a 5 lbs. pack. Work your way up. Start slow with maybe 10 lunges.

Your comment reminds me of a great prank I played on a couple of cocky jocks one day in gym back in high school. Set a deck of cards on the floor right between your legs. Squat down, pick up one card, and stand back up. Repeat until all cards are in your hand. Then squat and put one card on the floor and stand up. Again, repeat until all cards are on the floor. After they were done they got all cocky again telling me it was nothnig and I was a wimp for thinking that would hurt. I agreed they were real men and I walked away in mock shame. The next day both of them were out sick.

It's all about the intensity of the exercise. If you can only do one lunge with a 5 pound pack, then do it. Pretty soon you can do two, then three, then a dozen. Make it part of your daily stretch/exercise.

Frosty
10-02-2007, 21:27
For those of you who train throughout the year, and I know not everyone feels this is necessary, do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? Since I can't get to a trail except on weekends, I have started doing this along with riding my bike and doing some strength training. My S/O is embarrassed that I do this since we live in the city and the hills I use are in an upscale neighborhood. Am I the only one who does this? Just curious.:rolleyes:This is an excellent idea. I walk around town with a backpack a lot. Sometimes I walk to the grocery store and carry food back home in my backpack. At first I wondered if people would object if I walked around the store wearing a backpack, but no one has said anything so far.

Shadowmoss
10-02-2007, 21:28
Zak is not only young and fit, but was just recently in the military. Marines, was it Zak? That might be another reason why he thinks nothing of 20 miles days. I imagine he has never not been in shape. At least as an adult.

modiyooch
10-02-2007, 21:33
this summer while hiking grafton notch to gorham, I was glad of the rock climbing training that I have had previously.

Roland
10-02-2007, 21:39
this summer while hiking grafton notch to gorham, I was glad of the rock climbing training that I have had previously.

Your rockclimbing training may have enhanced your conditioning, but let's be careful not to mislead newbies into thinking the AT through the Mahoosucs requires technical rockclimbing skills. We don't want to scare anyone.

On the other hand, climbing in/out of the Notch will get their attention. :D

modiyooch
10-02-2007, 21:44
I'm just glad to know that I can support myself on a pebble of a rock, or itty bitty crevice.

Tennessee Viking
10-02-2007, 22:19
I was strength training in the spring with about 4 liters of water, all my emergency supplies, and some extra clothing. With it being the summer, I switched out to my day pack.

I used to go on my group hikes and maintenance outings with a big pack. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I told them I was trying to get ready for sectioning, and they went gotcha.

Nest
10-02-2007, 23:28
Zak is not only young and fit, but was just recently in the military. Marines, was it Zak? That might be another reason why he thinks nothing of 20 miles days. I imagine he has never not been in shape. At least as an adult.

No, I'm not a Marine. Was in two branches of the military, but knee injuries ended those careers very early. I was fortunate to be the older part of my generation. The part of the generation that actually played outside and rode a bike 10-14 hours a day during the summer. I'm sure most of the people on this thread were just as capable, if not more, when they were my age.

jrwiesz
10-03-2007, 02:23

Always, 20-25 lbs. pack to the library, with the books to exchange, walking instead of taking the car. We're lucky to also have a rail-to-trails that is a 9 mile loop, or an 11 mile one-way to the state park in our vicinity. When I walk the loop I'll take the pack, when I bike the loop I'll take a lighter set-up and go for aerobic intensity. I try to do this at least twice a week, more if the schedule allows. I get occasional query or odd looks, but why care. Most of those people wouldn't "get it" anyway. I say train for the trail, then when you get to the trail, it is most enjoyable and not training for the first portion.
Isn't that why one hikes? Enjoy!:sun

gsingjane
10-03-2007, 07:18
Hi Cyndie, I am your age (actually 3 years older) and if I didn't train year-round for backpacking, I think the wheelchair loop portion of the AT in CT would be too hard for me! As a wall climbing instructor for Girl Scouts, I see middle-aged women all the time who are asked to do physical things, and you would be depressed to see how few of them will even stand up and do some stretching or run around and do a field game, much less consider putting on a harness and trying to get a few feet up a wall.

I think walking around with a loaded pack sounds like a good idea, as long as you have enough foot support and you don't slam your way into a foot injury with too much pounding on pavement. I love the ideas where people do grocery shopping or library book carrying with their pack... good training and ecologically sound, too.

I don't do walks with a pack, but I have been upper body and mid-section training for a couple of years now and it has helped tremendously. Especially for women, especially as we age, we just don't use those arm, shoulder, chest and back muscles, and I've found that even half an hour, three times a week, has made a giant difference in easy it is to pick up and carry a pack. It also helps with that flabbiness (particularly on the upper arms) that seems to set in at a certain age. Mid-section/core I don't need to tell you... if you've had any kids at all, you know those muscles didn't maintain themselves all these years, but fortunately they will respond to training relatively quickly.

I expect you're getting in your cardio, but of course (in addition to some basic flexibility stuff) this is the other side of the equation. I haven't ever backpacked without an aerobic base, but can't imagine that getting up, down and over hills without some degree of fitness would be much fun. The good news is, all this stuff can keep you so much younger, keep your attitude bright, a spring in your step, and really fend off a lot of the bad feelings that come along with getting older. There's not much you can do about the wrinkles (particularly those of us that spend a LOT of time in the sun) but at least from the back, people will think you are considerably younger than you are. And you will feel so, too!

Jane in CT

-SEEKER-
10-03-2007, 08:51
[quote=Auntie Mame;418273]Go, Cyndie, go!! I'll be out there doing the neighborhood stroll with my pack on...
Well, I've now had three people ask me what I'm doing. One guy had no clue, and the other two wished me luck. A neighborhood fireman that I've talked to before saw me and shouted out that "The AT is a long way away" to which I replied that I had until April to get there. I like your neighborhood stroll comment Auntie Mame. As for my guy at home I think he's cool with the idea now since I told him if I didn't go back and hike the AT, I was going to move down south and live near it. Thanks for the responses everybody!
Cyndie

Fiddleback
10-03-2007, 09:26

A treadmill is part of my daily exercise schedule...when I find the will power to do my daily exercise.:rolleyes: I just recently started using the incline feature and was really impressed (or depressed) by the major difference. I've got it set at the max 10% incline and it took a couple weeks to build back up to the same length of time I was doing on a level track and I'm still not back to the same speed (I know...I'm a wuss). FYI, a 10% incline exceeds that of the steepest (posted) roads in Yellowstone NP although I'm not at all convinced it's more than the trails I've faced here at home.

None the less, I've always read that exercise is specific. That is, if you want to train for something you must do it or, at the least, closely replicate the activity. If you want to train for cycling, you must cycle. While exercise should always be rounded and comprehensive, I'm in agreement with others in this thread...if you want to train for backpacking you should, at the very least, get out and carry a pack.

FB

taildragger
10-03-2007, 09:49
Hey, thats how I train, I'd go, throw maybe 40lbs in my pack (young and dumb) and would walk a couple of miles everyday after school. I also started to load my pack with all my books and laptop and walk around campus with it (gotta lot of strange looks, my other hiker friends thought it was brilliant and started to do the samething).

One thing that I would look for in your case is a good set of steep stairs. Walk those to build muscle. Personally, I like to get out with a loaded pack (somewhere in the 40lbs-50lbs range, once again, older but still young and dumb) and do some scrambling. Most of the people on Breakneck think that I am absolutely crazy for attempting some freeclimb sections with a full pack on, but it really has made my legs more like iron, and slows my pace down to the rest of the group.

Lunges and squats are also good for strength, you can do them at home, make sure to stretch well before hand. Focus on reps and not weight here.

And as for strolling in an uppity up neighborhood in Ohio, well, they've gotta warn the little wii playing kids about hiker trash at some point in their life

jesse
10-03-2007, 10:05
I am fortunate to be able to walk two blocks in my neighborhood, and be in the Kennesaw Mountian National Battlefield Park. With trails thru woods, with some moderate hills.
I walk/run about 1hr everyday. I do not carry my pack. I think your legs will get conditioned by walking uphill without the pack. The pack greatly increases the chance of injury, while giving only moderate benefit.
Like you said, decreasing the weight of the pack will help.
I am by no means an expert on human anatomy, but I don't think you can condition joints with heavy exersice, like you do with muscel.
BTW, no hike should ever be considered a failure. Good luck

johnny quest
10-03-2007, 10:23
get one of those walmart camelback knockoffs, throw out the camelback and put in chain. yes chain. work your way up in weight. then head to the nearest football stadium. do muds. slowly.

Blissful
10-03-2007, 10:28
I trained as best I could. Started by doing running several years before the hike until I injured my ankle. Then went to walking. Carried my backpack on occasion around the nieghborhood, but I too felt a little strange doing that, so didn't do it much. My cardiovascular status was okay when I started. But nothing gets you as ready as hiking every day, day in and day out, for six months. The best training you can get. Start slow then build up. By 6-8 weeks you are a hiking machine.

My 16 yr old (now 17) went straight from couch potato to the trail with no training. Had some tough days out there, sure. But he finished and I'm so proud of him for hanging in there. Now if I can get him Not to return to couch potato status... :)

Grinder
10-03-2007, 12:36
Cyndie,

After you get a base level of fitness, something like the stairs will be a real eye opener as regards your trail fitness.

I went to the local highschool stadium and walked the stairs. it was a 50 foot climb each time up.

Since you can expect 500 to a 1000 foot climbs fairly routinely, something like 10 to 20 reps is appropriate. Sometime along you way, do it with the pack weight you plan to take with you on the real hike.

It was the loaded climbing that got me on my first hike. I was gasping and wheezing like I had never trained a bit.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

-SEEKER-
10-03-2007, 15:15
I'm hearing a big push for the stairs. At this point I am trying to avoid them until I am more comfortable with my knee situation. The going down part really scares me since I'm still not totally pain free. My SO/ boyfriend? (it seems there is no good title when you have been together 12 plus years but aren't married) owns a six story building with two additional floors underground so I have the perfect situation for this winter. p.s. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining, I am fine with my situation. I was just curious as to what others do.

Doctari
10-03-2007, 15:56
I'm hearing a big push for the stairs. At this point I am trying to avoid them until I am more comfortable with my knee situation. The going down part really scares me since I'm still not totally pain free. My SO/ boyfriend? (it seems there is no good title when you have been together 12 plus years but aren't married) owns a six story building with two additional floors underground so I have the perfect situation for this winter. p.s. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining, I am fine with my situation. I was just curious as to what others do.

In Cincinnati there are a few "good" hills, the steepest are in Clifton: Ravine & Straight streeets that go from McMicken to near Deaconess Hospital. Plus many city parks depending on where you live. All with no or few stair steps. What part of Cinti do you live in?

Or see my PM. :p

Marta
10-03-2007, 16:40
Cyndie--I did NOT walk around town with a backpack before my hike. I did four miles of slightly hilly walking M-F. On weekends I went into the mountains and hiked with my backpack, either day hikes, or overnighters.

I DID work seriously on reducing packweight from 45 lbs. in 2002 to starting the 100-Mile Wilderness with 32 lbs. as my full packweight, with food and water. I also kept my daily mileage way down for the first half of the hike.

Injury was my first and foremost concern. I knew that, at my age, I would not bounce back quickly, if at all, from a serious injury. Pain was acceptable; serious injury was not.

Pain was an indication that I needed to slow down and ease off the pace. For example, a lot of hikers, especially younger hikers, take a jackrabbit approach to mileage, cranking out 20-30 mile days, then taking a series of zeroes in a row. I did a lot of low-mileage days and rarely took zeroes. You can hike the whole Trail in six months if you do 12 miles/day.

I'm getting off track here...IMO it is not necessary to practice a lot with the pack...if you've invested the time and thought towards reducing your packweight.

Good luck!

rafe
10-03-2007, 17:35
Listen to Marta.;)

For "training" I do a bunch of bike riding. I've got a 12 mile loop that I do maybe three or four times a week (while in "training" mode.) The loop takes about 45 minutes to ride. It's got a few minor hills, maybe 300' vertical, all told.

With regard to miles per day, Marta really nails it. IMO, the key is consistency. I'm a wee bit older than Marta... and I was able to do 15 miles per day long term average over six weeks -- but I took NO zero days.

Here's how I figure it: If did 17 miles on Monday and 18 miles on Tuesday, I've put five miles in the bank (2 extra miles Monday, 3 extra on Tues.) So (for example) if I've got 8 miles in the bank at the end of Saturday's hiking, I can slack off with 7 miles on Sunday and still maintain a 15 MPD average for that week.

I never did bank enough miles to take a full day off. ;) But the key for me was to force myself to "earn" slack days by "banking" miles. Somehow, that worked.

My loaded (max) pack weight was around 26-28 lbs.

-SEEKER-
10-03-2007, 18:45
I guess since walking is a normal daily routine for me, in order for it to feel like training I need to add the backpack. I must say this year was a learning experience on the trail. I feel as if I've resolved most of my issues and now I know more about what to expect. I hope it's true that the third time is the charm.

frieden
10-04-2007, 00:42
do you ever just load up your pack and walk around your neighborhood? .:rolleyes:

We used to do this all the time, but where we live now, it isn't safe. However, I just found out that the nearest town (18 mi away) has an 100 acre park, with a walking trail along the outer perimeter. You can bet we'll be hittin' that! Yes, people look at you funny, but who cares? If someone gives you a hard time, just tell them that it is the Hiker's Diet program, and you've lost 100 lbs. on it already! :D

Marta
10-04-2007, 07:49
I guess since walking is a normal daily routine for me, in order for it to feel like training I need to add the backpack. I must say this year was a learning experience on the trail. I feel as if I've resolved most of my issues and now I know more about what to expect. I hope it's true that the third time is the charm.

I guess what I was trying to say earlier is that, for me, "training" took place on weekends in the mountains with my pack. I also just called it hiking, and it was rewarding in its own right, as well as being educational. The daily around-town walking was just basic exercise to maintain a little fitness, which I'd do even if I were not planning to go on a long hike.

On weekends I tried to put in 20 to 30 miles, on steep terrain, with a pack. Ideally I'd walk out fifteen miles on Saturday, camp, and walk back on Sunday. If I couldn't manage an overnight, I'd go to the closest steep trail in a state park, and hike the 9-mile double loop, carrying only a day pack.

While I personally wouldn't set off on the hike if I were totally unfit, I also don't think that fitness is the main issue. To me, it was more important to develop confidence in myself by doing the solo weekend hikes (and a few longer ones), so I could learn that, yeah, I could take care of myself, spend the night alone in the woods, etc.

YMMV.

rafe
10-04-2007, 08:09
On weekends I tried to put in 20 to 30 miles, on steep terrain, with a pack. Ideally I'd walk out fifteen miles on Saturday, camp, and walk back on Sunday. If I couldn't manage an overnight, I'd go to the closest steep trail in a state park, and hike the 9-mile double loop, carrying only a day pack.

I did that early this summer, on the MA Mid-State trail. So really I've finished two long trails this summer. Pack weight on those weekend hikes was a nice easy 20 lbs. or so. Surprised myself by doing 21 miles (in a day) on the last of those hikes. Not too much vertical on that trail, though.

otterman
10-04-2007, 10:05
I'm the same age as you Cyndie and also had some knee problems about 3 years ago. I go out to the Cincinnati Nature Center two or three days a week with about 30 lbs. on my back. Very few knee issues any more. The Cincinnati Nature Center is great because the hills are big enough to challenge you and your out in the woods while training.

Altared
10-04-2007, 11:48
I live in Jersey which is FLAT. Yes, I wear my backpack through the neighborhood. Hubby couldn't care less, but my 21 yr old daughter is embarrased.
On weekends I go to the local high school and run up and down the bleachers, first on the stairs, then on the seats. A 30 min workout is perfect!

Grinder
10-04-2007, 13:00
Cyndie,

I understand about the injuries, but I certainly would not show up on the trail hoping things work out.

I believe you need some form of loaded climbing workout to get prepared.

How much and when is your business.

Much of the trail injury thing comes from showing up unprepared. A few seem to get away with it. Most don't

Miles of Smiles

Tom

-SEEKER-
10-04-2007, 20:58
"Much of the trail injury thing comes from showing up unprepared. A few seem to get away with it. Most don't."

Miles of Smiles

Tom[/quote]

Tom,
In April I was thinking part of my problem was an age thing but, as I was waiting for the Greyhound Bus to come home, another hiker was dropped off with the same problem as mine and he was in his early twenties. I really felt sorry for him. I agree with you that "...most don't".
Cyndie

take-a-knee
10-06-2007, 12:38
Cyndie:

If you can find a local gym that has one of these:

http://www.gymcor.com/stairstep70p.html

This is stair training at it's finest. It eliminates walking down the stairs, which is where a lot of people get hurt. This will tax and develop your quadriceps (front of your thigh) that running will do little for. I would NOT do this every day. It is a fixed 8 inch step, the shorter you are, the more intense this exercise will be. Don't do this machine two days in a row, every third day for starters would be a good move. I reccomend a heart-rate monitor, you need only wear the transmitter belt as the machine will read your HR and it will give you your average heart-rate for the workout. This allows you to track your fitness level. IE, if you are walking the same profile (I use the aerobic training profile on this machine) at the same level (I'm currently on level 7 for 30min with an avg HR in the low 150's, shooting for level 10). NY Fire uses these things to test recruits. I'm 47 and this is my "smoke" PT, when I run, I run easy 10min miles, and I use the step mill to get my HR up near max (220 minus your age)

Another machine that complements the Step mill is a Precor 542 elliptical (stay away from other elliptical trainers). This is "low impact running", marathon champ Alberto Salazar helped design it.

Resistance training is good. If you can get a personal trainer who knows what they are doing to show you how to properly do squats, you'll develop powerful legs. You'll cripple yourself if you don't learn to do them properly.

Walking with your pack is excellent. You should incorporate several things into your workout to eliminate boredom and overtraining any particular body part.

-SEEKER-
10-06-2007, 15:00
WOW, I'm getting a lot of great suggestions and info. Who knows, maybe 2008 will be a thru-hike for me!!??
Thanks all,
Cyndie

Smile
10-06-2007, 15:21
I used to hike in my neighborhood, but women kept stopping and offering me water or try to buy me a bag of food from McDonalds, thinking I was a homeless person or something. I had to explain that I lived here! They were always asking me if my dog was OK too, tongue hanging out on a hot day a whole 1/2 mile from home :)

It was very thoughtful though, but I ended up driving to an office building and doing the step thing with my pack - great for the glutes and quads!