PDA

View Full Version : Dog breeds

Rouen
10-03-2007, 01:21
this post is more or less for fun, and to help anyone who's looking for opinions on a future trail dog.

To YOU whats the best hiking breed or mix breed? why? whats the worst? why?

I prefer terrier mixes, I have 2 and they are awesome little dogs, versatile and spunky, loyal and dont let anything stand in their way. small enough to pick up if need be and can fit in a solo tent without a problem. of course size can vary with mix breeds.

worst to me would have to be chihuahuas, their size alone puts them at a disadvantage on most trails. on the plus side they eat so little carrying their food wouldn't be a problem.

anyone else want to give their opinion? c'mon you know you want to. :rolleyes:

Tennessee Viking
10-03-2007, 01:46
I have seen Labs, Retreivers, German Shepards, and Huskies. Even saw a Jack Russell.

Hunting and herding dogs work well. You want one with a good stride and speed. Probably one that wouldn't mind carry a pack.

I would put Dachsund probably as the worst hiker. Short and stumpy.

Chihuahuas would probably work for the trail....bear food.

FHDogs
10-03-2007, 03:09
My Yorkie (10lbs) love hiking and camping. He's never given me any problems. He also make a great pillow at night. Worst case scenario he loves to sit on my shoulders wrapped around the back of my neck. It's surprisingly comfortable. My Chihuahua (12lbs) on the other hand hates the outdoors. We went camping up in Vermont a few weeks ago and she never wanted to leave the tent.

jrwiesz
10-03-2007, 03:24
Chihuahuas would be good for tortillas.:D

Two Speed
10-03-2007, 05:37
IMHO there isn't a best breed, unless "mutt" is a breed.

Nightwalker
10-03-2007, 06:08
My BeagleHound is as good as it gets. Half 15" Beagle, half Pointer. She's about 35-40 pounds and eats 1.5-2 cups of food per day.

She can go all day, and doesn't want to leave the trail to come home. I've never seen a dog love to hike so much.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 06:09
Tom Horn had a beagle named Misty. She had 12,000 AT miles

Nightwalker
10-03-2007, 06:23
Tom Horn had a beagle named Misty. She had 12,000 AT miles

Wow. I tell you the truth, my dog is better than most people that I've met. It seems as if I've heard Heald say the same thing about Annie. He's gonna be lost when that old girl can't hike anymore. I think she has something crazy like 15k miles. Oof.

Gray Blazer
10-03-2007, 07:19
Wow. I tell you the truth, my dog is better than most people that I've met. It seems as if I've heard Heald say the same thing about Annie. He's gonna be lost when that old girl can't hike anymore. I think she has something crazy like 15k miles. Oof.

I met Heald and Annie. Got a pic of them in my WB gallery. Annie was quite well behaved. I think my chocolate lab, Blaze, is going to be a good trail dog. At the least, she should encourage bigfeet to stay away from us.

-SEEKER-
10-03-2007, 09:09
I would not recommend my dog, Irish Setter/Llewelyn Setter mix. Read: BIRD DOG with strong but not refined hunting instincts. Had to leave the pet store 'cause she was on her hind legs trying to get at the birds. In our defense, she was four and a half years old when we got her.

Adam B
10-03-2007, 09:49
I don't know if this guy will make a good trail dog but my next dog will be a greater swiss mountain dog. Huge, short haired and meant to travel through the swiss mountains;)

My current dog is great and he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback crossed with Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and has made a great trail dog. My last service dog was a pit x Staffordshire and was a horrible trail dog. She wouldn't sleep on anything less comfortable then a couch and much preferred several blankets below, a quilt on top of her plus a mattress pad, mattress, box spring and a couple pillows. She was the dog version of the princess and the pea. I had to stop hiking when ever I tried to hike with her. She would stand there staring and grumbling at me every time I stopped.

taildragger
10-03-2007, 10:28
Blue heeler

Labs

I imagine my friends wolf mix that she had would have been great, take a zero day and he'd come back with a deer (no joking, he really would carry fawns and spikes back to her house during the fall) but that might intimidate the yuppies :D

I think anything that has some working dog in its blood would be good, especially if the dog is more of an outside dog (tougher pads, less likely to be spoiled, just as likely to roll in the most vile thing ever smelled on the trail (i.e. some thru hikers unwashed sleeping bag))

Lilred
10-03-2007, 11:51
I would put Dachsund probably as the worst hiker. Short and stumpy.

I hiked with Red B and his dachsund Low Profile a couple of years ago. That dog could hike and hike well. He loved being out there.

If I ever hiked with a dog I'd choose a small, intelligent breed that I could pick up if I had to.

The Solemates
10-03-2007, 12:19
The best hiking dogs by far are those bred for hunting. A good deer dog will hike for more miles than any human and never get tired, as long as it is in a suitable terrain (like the forested appalachians. obviously, they may not do as well in the Whites or on the PCT). The problem is if they are specifically trained for hunting, they will get on a animal trail and wander everywhere, constantly. I've hiked with a dog like this (not my own dog). He always wanders back to camp, but its a pain and I never know if he is off making trouble.

But, if not trained for hunting, but rather as a family pet who goes hiking a lot, these dogs are perfect trail companions. My black-and-tan coonhound will hike forever and want to go more. He is about 55 lbs and likes to sleep outside. If bad weather, he sleeps at the foot of our 2-man tent (with two people inside) without bothering us. Of course, we have a long(er) length tent.

stumpy
10-03-2007, 12:27
I have hiked with my German SHorthaird Pointer, Roscoe. He is a hunting dog/ family dog. He is trained to point and track, but he lives in the house with us. He loves to be out in the woods and could walk miles and miles further than me.:D I do keep him on lead when we are on the trail. He is a very good dog, however he has a huge prey drive! He also likes to lick people, and many do not care for that. As a result we keep him on lead, and doesn't seem to mind. It also keeps us moving up those climbs, because he does not like to stop until we are at the top.

SteveJ
10-03-2007, 15:18
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2353&d=1191180598

dogs and naps.....

that said, Siberian Huskies can be a difficult breed. Roamers who can run and run, prey-motivated, extremely bright and energetic.... Phoebe's my 5th Husky in 20 yrs, and my first trail dog - she's mad for a week if I leave the house with a pack, and don't take her!

The Weasel
10-03-2007, 15:22
worst kind is any kind that has paris hilton attached to it.

TW

shelterbuilder
10-03-2007, 15:49
... Siberian Huskies can be a difficult breed. Roamers who can run and run, prey-motivated, extremely bright and energetic....

Yes, I agree to all of it! Definitely an "on-leash" dog! Not stupid, but rather stubborn sometimes. Over the years, I've had 2 out of our 9 that have been good trail dogs (one that might have been, but she's gone now), and one that I'm considering - after hunting season, because she's a red and white (looks like a small deer:eek: ).

My first one used to guard my pack while I went downhill for water. The second one was useless as a guard dog, but man! was he a great leader for the sled team!

lvleph
10-03-2007, 16:11
My standard poodle loves the trail. I just have to keep her trim so that I don't have to remove thistles all day long after a trip.

ChinMusic
10-03-2007, 16:12
I have an odd breed for a trail dog, a cockapoo. Mugsy is a large (31 pounder) cockapoo and is perfect for the trail. He instinctively stays close to me, won't chase wildlife, is friendly, can easily hike further than me, and DOES NOT SHEAD. As a downside burs stick to him like magnets.

lvleph
10-03-2007, 17:28
I have an odd breed for a trail dog, a cockapoo. Mugsy is a large (31 pounder) cockapoo and is perfect for the trail. He instinctively stays close to me, won't chase wildlife, is friendly, can easily hike further than me, and DOES NOT SHEAD. As a downside burs stick to him like magnets.
My cockapoo loves hiking hates camping. Or maybe I don't like that he keeps waking me up all night long. He is too loving and is a bit of a wimp, so he needs me to protect him. My poodle just wants to sleep at night.

kritter
10-03-2007, 17:48
Pit-bulls,
They’re friendly, energetic, and enjoy doing just about anything as long as it’s active. As long as other hikers don’t hold to that terrible stereotype.

Adam B
10-03-2007, 19:30
Kritter you are right pits are great and anything active is great. It wasn't the hiking she didn't like it was sleeping on the ground. People always thought she was a lab. Now I have a ridgeback cross and everyone thinks he is the pit.

My pit only hurt one person and that guy broke into my ex-girlfriend's place while I was out. My pit dislocated both of the guys knees by ramming her chest into his knees. My ex had a great time scaring him, by the time the police arrived he begged to be arrested. My pit on the other hand sat on the cops feet and licked them silly.

On the other hand several times people attacked my pit and she never hurt them back. One guy dragged her down the escalator by her tail which tore open her feet and all she cared about was blocking me from falling down the escalator and making sure I was ok. I wasn't as nice and had him arrested for attacking a service dog. He told the cops the reason he did it was because she was a killer.

shelterbuilder
10-03-2007, 19:38
Pit-bulls,
They’re friendly, energetic, and enjoy doing just about anything as long as it’s active. As long as other hikers don’t hold to that terrible stereotype.

It's not the breed - it's the up-bringing! Weight-pull friends of ours have PB's - they'll either lick you to death, or bruise your legs with their wagging tails!!:D

lvleph
10-03-2007, 20:49
The issue with pit bulls as a hiking partner and really it goes with almost any dog on the trail is that people are scared of them. Surprisingly someone was actually afraid of my poodle.

SawnieRobertson
10-03-2007, 21:04
Without question, a Standard Poodle is the ideal trail dog. This is the most intelligent, versatile of dogs. And Chocolate E'Claire Kisses loves it out there as well as in the tent. She also was delighted the minute that she heard her trailname, GRIZ.--Kinnickinic

frieden
10-03-2007, 21:53
Ed is a very overweight Belgian Malinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Malinois)) (yes, he's supposed to be that thin), a herding breed, but mostly used for search and rescue, police work, and military dogs. As long as they're working, they're happy (as long as you fit the right dog to the right job). Ed won't stop hiking, unless I stop him. A handler really has to watch her Mal, because they will literally work themselves to death. Ed loved SAR, but is out of practice. He also loves really cold weather. However, he's a house dog. He may love getting dirty, and camping, but if we are at a hotel or house - he knows it, and expects a shower. If I leave him dirty, he'll mope. It isn't the length of time that he's dirty, it's where he is. If he's inside, he expects to be clean.

lvleph
10-04-2007, 08:41
Without question, a Standard Poodle is the ideal trail dog. This is the most intelligent, versatile of dogs. And Chocolate E'Claire Kisses loves it out there as well as in the tent. She also was delighted the minute that she heard her trailname, GRIZ.--Kinnickinic

The only issue I see with my Famke (pronounce Fahm-ka) is that a long hike would make things difficult because of grooming requirements.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2007, 10:31
Ed is a very overweight Belgian Malinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd_Dog_(Malinois)) (yes, he's supposed to be that thin), a herding breed, but mostly used for search and rescue, police work, and military dogs. As long as they're working, they're happy (as long as you fit the right dog to the right job). Ed won't stop hiking, unless I stop him. A handler really has to watch her Mal, because they will literally work themselves to death. Ed loved SAR, but is out of practice. He also loves really cold weather. However, he's a house dog. He may love getting dirty, and camping, but if we are at a hotel or house - he knows it, and expects a shower. If I leave him dirty, he'll mope. It isn't the length of time that he's dirty, it's where he is. If he's inside, he expects to be clean.

I've got pics of Ed in my WB gallery, also. I've got pics of three trail dog legends mentioned in this thread. That's 20 percent. We may need a photo gallery just for trail dog legends.

LIhikers
10-04-2007, 19:16
I think a good trail dog has more to do with the dogs "personality" and training, then their breed. Our shephard loves to be outdoors and that includes hiking and multiday trips.

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 19:32
Any breed that can do fun tricks to entertain me after dinner.

superman
10-05-2007, 08:36
I think a good trail dog has more to do with the dogs "personality" and training, then their breed. Our shephard loves to be outdoors and that includes hiking and multiday trips.

I agree that personality and training make a good trail dog. I've also had the suspicion that the breeds closer to the wolf have the physical advantage to thru hike. Having said that, it is obvious that there is a ton of exceptions to my wolf theory. Trying to pick which dog will successfully complete a thru hike is no easier than picking which person will complete a thru hike. I have no stats but I am guessing that the ratio of dogs that start the AT to the dogs that finish the AT may be similar to that of humans?

SGT Rock
10-05-2007, 09:16
Well if you take the premise of this thread that some breeds are better as backpacking dogs - then that also means that some are worse. It could be because of physicality, temperament, or whatever - but some would generally not make good hiking dogs. But, just as humans, there are exceptions to every general rule.

Alligator
10-05-2007, 10:41
...I have no stats but I am guessing that the ratio of dogs that start the AT to the dogs that finish the AT may be similar to that of humans?Might be more like committed couples, whatever that is. The dog won't finish if A)the dog can't make it, B)It's owner doesn't make it.

SGT Rock
10-05-2007, 10:45
Might be more like committed couples, whatever that is. The dog won't finish if A)the dog can't make it, B)It's owner doesn't make it.
Or the owner doesn't make IT finish.

frieden
10-05-2007, 11:48
Or the owner doesn't make IT finish.

I know Ed can hike a lot longer than I can. I have to make him stop!

Gray Blazer
10-05-2007, 12:48
I know Ed can hike a lot longer than I can. I have to make him stop!

Is that because he always uses a packcover and reads a lot and doesn't get offended??:D :D (Honey (SLAP!))? Sorry, you know I can't help myself.:banana

Yukon
10-05-2007, 13:08
Agreed, I have always loved the pit bull breed due to their energetic manor and loyalty. I hate to hear people say ridiculous things like "they have lock jaws" or "they are killers". Their ignorance really shows when they say something like that. Every dog has the potential to be mean with the wrong upbringing and bad care. All this being said, my next dog unfortunately won't make much of a hiking dog. I am looking into a great dane because I have always thought they were such a regal looking handsome dog. Plus I'm 6'-6" tall so I have wanted a dog to go along with my size :)

Pit-bulls,

Gaiter
10-05-2007, 13:50
haven't read the entire thread but the owner is more important than the breed, but if asked one breed i would say a mutt, one that can handle the miles and carring its own food.

Alligator
10-05-2007, 14:22
Agreed, I have always loved the pit bull breed due to their energetic manor and loyalty. I hate to hear people say ridiculous things like "they have lock jaws" or "they are killers". Their ignorance really shows when they say something like that. Every dog has the potential to be mean with the wrong upbringing and bad care. All this being said, my next dog unfortunately won't make much of a hiking dog. I am looking into a great dane because I have always thought they were such a regal looking handsome dog. Plus I'm 6'-6" tall so I have wanted a dog to go along with my size :)May I suggest a blue ox:) .

rlharris
10-05-2007, 19:05
My Chesapeake Bay Retriever thinks his breed is the best for hiking. :banana Of course, he might be a little prejudiced.

Yukon
10-08-2007, 15:24
Hahaha...indeed :)

May I suggest a blue ox:) .

Pennsylvania Rose
10-09-2007, 12:20
My golden retriever/german shepard/lab mix, Brigid, is a great trail dog. She never wears out, even though she constantly patrols a perimeter of about 100' away from us, waiting for us to catch up if she's ahead or running full speed to catch us after she stops to sniff something interesting. She occasionally takes off after a squirrel, but never goes out of sight. At night, she either sleeps in the tent, or lays right outside. After some trepedation as a pup, she has learned to love scrambling up rocks. She has two funny quirks: she HATES water deeper than her belly, and she gets really freaked out when the older kids go off and explore while the little ones and I stay put. She doesn't know whether to stay or go and usually ends up running back and forth, checking on both groups until we get too far apart.

Allyson
10-14-2007, 12:46
This is a funny forum - basically for all of us to brag about our dogs! So of course I have to jump on the bandwagon.

My shepherd-husky mix male Perseus and my little (40 pound) Husky Athena are hands down the best trail dogs on the planet. When the humans are tired and need a break, the dogs are rarin' to go. And, if I'm the only human, and the dogs are on their double leash, together they weigh the same as I do - very helpful on the uphills!

As Steve and some other Husky owners have pointed out, HUSKIES MUST BE LEASHED EVERY SINGLE NANOSECOND. (This is probably true for all dogs out in the wilderness anyway, but for Huskies there is no "probably" about it.)

dessertrat
10-14-2007, 13:43
I would go with a hunting or herding dog, medium sized, with enough fur to not freeze if the weather turned. It seems like a well trained border collie might be the perfect hiking dog, if there is such a thing.

Uncle Silly
10-14-2007, 15:16
As Steve and some other Husky owners have pointed out, HUSKIES MUST BE LEASHED EVERY SINGLE NANOSECOND. (This is probably true for all dogs out in the wilderness anyway, but for Huskies there is no "probably" about it.)

Completely untrue for some breeds. Katy's a Catahoula hound and only rarely needs to be leashed in the wilderness. Mostly she hikes close to me, and I've trained her to hike behind me most of the time. She does dart off-trail after the occasional squirrel or chipmunk, but she's figured out that she can't catch the deer, and doesn't even want to bother with the moose. (Except for that one in Mahoosuc Notch...)

SteveJ
10-14-2007, 16:45
(Except for that one in Mahoosuc Notch...)

OK - what's the story?! you know you want to tell us!! :D

KirkMcquest
10-14-2007, 16:47
Half Australian Cattle Dog, half Lab. Rugged and tireless, yet calm and friendly. The best trail dog.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2007, 17:03
I spent a lot of time hiking with quite a few dogs this year, and came to realize that it's a LOT more work than you might think. If you're a responsible owner, it's really amazing how much of your trip will be devoted to dog care.

The two best dogs I saw this year were a sheltie (kind of a miniature collie-type dog) and surprisingly, a pit bull, which was a really bright, really sweet animal. I'm pretty convinced now that the pit bull "problem" is an owner problem, and not a dog one.

Appalachian Tater
10-14-2007, 17:10
I spent a lot of time hiking with quite a few dogs this year, and came to realize that it's a LOT more work than you might think. If you're a responsible owner, it's really amazing how much of your trip will be devoted to dog care.

The two best dogs I saw this year were a sheltie (kind of a miniature collie-type dog) and surprisingly, a pit bull, which was a really bright, really sweet animal. I'm pretty convinced now that the pit bull "problem" is an owner problem, and not a dog one.

Pit bulls can be very sweet and have a wonderful owner and then, out of the blue, brutally attack and kill or maim a child or another animal. It's strange and sad.

I also think people need to think about whether or not they can physically carry their dog to a vet if they have to, especially if it's up and down a couple of mountains to get there. What would they do if their dog cannot walk and they cannot carry him?

shelterbuilder
10-14-2007, 19:21

And here are two more reasons for ALL dogs to be on a leash at all times.

#1 - This weekend, one of my huskies and I ran across a timber rattler stretched across the footpath.:eek: I was able to pull her up short before there was a tragedy, but my heart was in my throat for a few seconds.

#2 - Same trip, Sunday morning, as we were walking toward a road crossing, here come a husband and wife with, not one but two loose dogs, which immediately ignored the husband's commands to "come", and charged, not me, but my dog (still on leash). ("Don't worry, they don't bite!") For some reason, the husband didn't like the idea of me using my staff as a barrier between my dog and his (bopping his dog several times on the sides of his snout may have had something to do with that;) ).

Please keep 'em leashed.

Daddy Longlegs
10-15-2007, 09:31
I have a 70 pound bordercollie (her name is Blaze) that loves to hike. She's the best kind of dog.:D But really the best kind of dog is one that has been trained how to act on the trail.

hobbit
10-15-2007, 15:11
hey I agree that the pit bull problem is an owner one... unfortunatley my dog and I cant seem to find a pit bull that has a good owner, and the owners always think its strange that if they yell "he just barks, doesnt bite" we move even farther off of the trail to let them pass

leeki pole
10-15-2007, 15:31
It's a good question. The more I hike with my dogs, I think I'd leave the Labrador at home, even though he always walks off lead. An excellent point was made about the possible scenario that you might have to carry him out due to injury, and at 75 pounds, that might be difficult. I would consider taking my mountain fiest, she's only about 15 pounds, less food and she's bred in the Tennessee mountains. I'd have to keep her on lead because of her terrier attitude and squirrel hunting instincts, however. She'd make the Trail, in my opinion, with little problem. Number three is a miniature dachshund..uh, no.:) And I agree with the adage, no bad dogs, only bad owners.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 15:35
No, I've seen bad dogs. It ain't always the owner.

dixicritter
10-15-2007, 15:40
I have to agree with Rock. I had a terrior mix that was a bad dog no matter how much we tried to train him. It isn't always the owners fault.

Rouen
10-15-2007, 20:01
I have to agree with Rock. I had a terrior mix that was a bad dog no matter how much we tried to train him. It isn't always the owners fault.

there are many reasons to call a dog bad, not one is the dogs fault. it's usually due to lack of exercise and/or lack of consistancy. with terriers they need jobs and a good output for their energy. it's not their fault, but they can turn bad if their needs aren't met.
my female(a terrier mix) was a "bad dog" before I got her. she bit me 3 times the day I met her and I was just standing there. you'd never know she was like that if you met her. she was exercised daily but had no real structure in her previous life.

I still say nothing beats a good terrier mix as a hiking buddy. ;)

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 20:14
Well I have seen a Pit Bull turn from a big pussycat to a mean dog no one could get near basically overnight. The owner didn't do it - he was broken hearted about the whole affair.

In this dog's case (our terrier mix), he stared biting everyone including family members except my wife. He also started marking everything in the house. He still got plenty of exercise - we just couldn't figure out why everyone became his enemy all the sudden. We have had other dogs and have never seen this sort of behavior in one before that we owned. I think we have some background in raising dogs.

If you take it as a given everyone has a personality, dogs can be the same way. Some people are always nice no matter what you do to them, and some people are just going to be jerks no matter how nice you are to them. On NPR I recently heard a piece about how 40% of your personality is determined by genetics, 25% by your family, 10% by who you interact with, and about 25% by your experiences. If you see dogs in the same way - there are a few that will have personalities that make them poor pets and most likely even those that are good can be lousy hikers. It isn't all an owner that makes a dog - it is disposition too. Hunters that breed dogs know this and know even dogs from hunting lines, though they are more likely to make good hunting dogs than the average K9 from the pound, do not always work out as good hunting dogs because each dog has its own personality.

So in my experience there are dogs, no matter how much you try, that will not be good hiking dogs no matter how good the owner is with them. An owner with lots of experience training dogs is more likely to be able to work with one - but dogs are like people in some ways, one of them is that you cannot always control their personality.

leeki pole
10-16-2007, 16:55
I respect everyone's opinion on this forum. It's been very interesting and enlightening.

Let me start with a disclaimer that I am not a professional trainer or handler, therefore any information shared is strictly from my experience.

I have raised and trained dogs for 40 years. I made many, many mistakes. Often, those mistakes caused my dogs to misbehave. I have been very lucky, I suppose, that none of those mistakes created a dog that was not reconcilable. But I tried to learn from my mistakes and rehabilitate myself to not make the same error again.

In my experience, dogs are condition/response animals. Any stimulus that creates an unfavorable response should be analyzed and the human is the only one that is able to do such an analysis. Each of my dogs has been completely different. The one thing I know that I have learned is that dogs are most certainly a pack animal. They're much happier in a pack. The trouble is if you can only handle one, you must become part of her pack as the leader. My best luck in training has been when I've had at least three dogs in a pack, but still as the leader. I live in the country so logistically this is not so hard, but it takes a lot of time and commitment. (and food)

I think that anyone who has a physically fit animal and takes the time to become the pack leader, eliminating bad stimuli and rewarding good responses, can create a good Trail companion. The trick, as SGT Rock alluded to in his post, is how to identify what conditions are causing unwanted behavior (i.e., personality) in your dog. Sorry if I turned this into a dog training thread, but I just wanted to share and maybe help someone get a great buddy to go on their hike! Good luck!

Brrrb Oregon
10-16-2007, 17:22
I respect everyone's opinion on this forum. It's been very interesting and enlightening.

Let me start with a disclaimer that I am not a professional trainer or handler, therefore any information shared is strictly from my experience.

I have raised and trained dogs for 40 years. I made many, many mistakes. Often, those mistakes caused my dogs to misbehave. I have been very lucky, I suppose, that none of those mistakes created a dog that was not reconcilable. But I tried to learn from my mistakes and rehabilitate myself to not make the same error again.

In my experience, dogs are condition/response animals. Any stimulus that creates an unfavorable response should be analyzed and the human is the only one that is able to do such an analysis. Each of my dogs has been completely different. The one thing I know that I have learned is that dogs are most certainly a pack animal. They're much happier in a pack. The trouble is if you can only handle one, you must become part of her pack as the leader. My best luck in training has been when I've had at least three dogs in a pack, but still as the leader. I live in the country so logistically this is not so hard, but it takes a lot of time and commitment. (and food)

I think that anyone who has a physically fit animal and takes the time to become the pack leader, eliminating bad stimuli and rewarding good responses, can create a good Trail companion. The trick, as SGT Rock alluded to in his post, is how to identify what conditions are causing unwanted behavior (i.e., personality) in your dog. Sorry if I turned this into a dog training thread, but I just wanted to share and maybe help someone get a great buddy to go on their hike! Good luck!

Keep in mind, too, that there are both people and dogs that just need that much exercise, or they get a little nuts. If you choose an active breed, and you're a hiker, you're kind of choosing to either take the dog hiking or else cut back on your own time in the outback.

If you are a "working dog" of a person, though, and you want somebody to hike with, a dog might be the answer to your prayers.....and unless it finds staying on leash in a wilderness area to be its own version of hell, no skin off the dog's nose, either.

The saying in the hospital emergency departments, though, is that few people ever come in having been bitten by a "mean" dog. Most dog bites are from "sweetheart" dogs, and in preventable situtations. If you're going to take your dog on the trail, learn what you need to know in order to keep the people who might approach your dog safer.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-17-2007, 07:06
And here are two more reasons for ALL dogs to be on a leash at all times.

#1 - This weekend, one of my huskies and I ran across a timber rattler stretched across the footpath.:eek: I was able to pull her up short before there was a tragedy, but my heart was in my throat for a few seconds.

#2 - Same trip, Sunday morning, as we were walking toward a road crossing, here come a husband and wife with, not one but two loose dogs, which immediately ignored the husband's commands to "come", and charged, not me, but my dog (still on leash). ("Don't worry, they don't bite!") For some reason, the husband didn't like the idea of me using my staff as a barrier between my dog and his (bopping his dog several times on the sides of his snout may have had something to do with that;) ).

Please keep 'em leashed.
Love that "don't worry they don't bite" I reply with start worrying because mine do bite.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-17-2007, 07:17
my faithfull friend companion is my 6 yr old female rottie she is without a doubt the best breed I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Loyal and strong completely dedicated to .

houthuse
10-17-2007, 17:10
I agree, Shelterbuilder. I cannot understand people who let their dogs off leash in an unfamiliar area, or areas where they may encounter wildlife, strangers, etc. For me, the leash isn't about protecting other people, it is about protecting my dog! My beautiful hound mix Pepper is a sweetheart, but at the park not all dogs are. I wouldn't want her encountering strangers on the trail without being leashed, as much for her safety as for courtesy to others (which is also important). We found Pepper in the woods and she loves the outdoors. She came to me on a camping trip in January, and the ranger said she was probably left behind by hunters due to the fact that she is extremely gun-shy. She was starving and had demodectic mange with a secondary infection, but now is very healthy. While you can not eliminate risk when you take your dog to the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), proper training and a leash can minimize it.

Appalachian Tater
10-17-2007, 17:14
Love that "don't worry they don't bite" .

Me, too. That's my first clue I have a problem dog owner to deal with. The good owners immediately leash their dogs as soon as they see a hiker or keep them leashed all the time. Ironic isn't it.

shelterbuilder
10-17-2007, 19:48
Me, too. That's my first clue I have a problem dog owner to deal with. The good owners immediately leash their dogs as soon as they see a hiker or keep them leashed all the time. Ironic isn't it.

Yeah, and for the time being at least, I can't respond verbally to the other dog or the other owner, which puts me - and my dog - at a bit of a disadvantage. (My dogs are getting to the point where they are working reasonably well with my non-verbal commands - until they get distracted by, say, another dog!)

houthuse, it sounds like you made a good save! Best of luck with Pepper.

Nearly Normal
10-17-2007, 22:06
I don't care what kind of dog it is. If it's not under control at all times don't bring it.
I've seen plenty of dogs on the trail. Most are allowed to run loose. Saw one lift his leg next to a water source.
Your dog might interfere with other peoples trail experience.
I like dogs but believe the trail was designed for people.

Nearly Normal.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2007, 22:08
I don't care what kind of dog it is. If it's not under control at all times don't bring it.
I've seen plenty of dogs on the trail. Most are allowed to run loose. Saw one lift his leg next to a water source.
Your dog might interfere with other peoples trail experience.
I like dogs but believe the trail was designed for people.

Nearly Normal.

pete hits the nail on the head.

FatMan
10-17-2007, 22:33
In an effort to get this thread back on track let me introduce you to Cooper. Cooper is my third dog and, although not the brightest bulb in the box, he is quite obedient and very loyal. He is definitely my favorite hiking dog. He is a 3.5 year old Golden Retriever / German Shephard mix. Image taken 1.5 years ago atop Blood Mtn.

http://storagespace.homestead.com/files/Coop2.jpg

chiefdaddy
10-20-2007, 07:16
1) Boston Terriers are great and mine is smart, friendly, does tricks after dinner and everyone on the trail seems to fall in love with him. On the other hand they can overr heat and have no fur to keep them warm lol.

2)he is smallish 18lbs, I can carry him and do often just to give him a break.

3)he does not eat a whole lot so food is not such an issue.

4)best of all so many people love this dog he already has baby sitters and drivers for our thru hike once we get to the Smokies ect or even if he just doesn't do as well (after a month, he has only been up to nine days out) he can bail out at any point almost.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/6/8/9/IMG_2248_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18182&c=member&imageuser=13689)
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/6/8/9/IMG_2450_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18708&c=member&imageuser=13689)

Quoddy
10-20-2007, 08:43
My Welsh Springer loves to hike the trail. Early on, I used to let him run free, but his hunting instinct would take over and he'd chase anything that moved... including bear. He obeys commands well except for this situation. For the past two years I've kept him on a long leash for his safety and my peace of mind while hiking. Because of this he hasn't accompanied me on anything but day hikes. Hunting dogs are great, but unless they will obey commands in the face of prey they can be a problem.

http://img.geocaching.com/user/display/84361cff-5d8e-4b98-a4f5-2f4bc79a8f1f.jpg

Uncle Silly
10-20-2007, 18:37
I cannot understand people who let their dogs off leash in an unfamiliar area, or areas where they may encounter wildlife, strangers, etc. For me, the leash isn't about protecting other people, it is about protecting my dog! (snip) While you can not eliminate risk when you take your dog to the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), proper training and a leash can minimize it.

Precisely because it's unfamiliar!! A leash is a lot like a seat-belt in a car: it might seem like the perfect solution, to be used always, but once in a while it can actually be the source of problems. Accidents do happen where NOT wearing a seatbelt can save your life, but WEARING one ensures a fatality. Same thing with leashes: note that leashes are NEVER a 100% guarantee that nothing will happen to your dog. Wisdom is knowing when to use them and when not to.

I don't leash my dog (except near roads) for the simple reason of "evasive maneuvers". If the trail terrain is non-dog-friendly; if other dogs are aggressive; if other animals are aggressive; if ... In the case of dog-meet-dog, it's always best if they are both leashed OR both UNleashed. My dog tends to be non-confrontational; that is, she's never the one to run up to another dog, and tends to distance herself from other dogs during the initial meeting. That means I have time to put her on leash if the other dog is leashed, though I usually don't have to (she stays out of the leashed dog's range).

Being off-leash also means that, in rough terrain, my dog is never going to be a danger to me. She can't pull me off-balance when I need my best footing. If she has trouble with a spot, she has the freedom to choose another route, without having to worry about whether the leash will reach, and without me having to worry whether the leash will get tangled in the underbrush.

That said, she is very well-behaved and trained as a hiking dog. She's trained to hike behind me, so I get to worry about snakes biting me, not her. She knows the difference between hiking with her pack and without -- she's much less likely to run around off-trail with her pack on. I do have to keep an eye on water sources, and direct her to an area downstream from the head of the source.

But keeping her on-leash everywhere is a lot of work, and frankly, she's not the kind of dog that requires it. So her leash is only for when it's necessary, and I'm inclined to use it sparingly.

It boils down to this: Know your dog. Know the potential problems (both with and without a leash). If your dog IS off-leash, keep a leash nearby. If your dog NEEDS a leash, use one. But please stop with the "all dogs must be on a leash at all times" generalities. They really aren't useful.

Love that "don't worry they don't bite" I reply with start worrying because mine do bite.

Heeeheeee! :D I'll have to remember that one...

double j
10-21-2007, 22:47
thinking of bringing mine hes really nice despite the way he looks

warraghiyagey
10-21-2007, 22:51
thinking of bringing mine hes really nice despite the way he looks
I hope you're kidding. Even if you perceive him to be a nice dog, you'll certainly make every hiker you come near extremely uncomfortable. Is that the energy you want to bring to the trail? I'm hoping not.

double j
10-21-2007, 22:53
if your hiking alone why not ...hes no diff, then any other dog ,,,just what u read about the bad ones anyways my wife wouldnt let me lol

warraghiyagey
10-21-2007, 23:40
if your hiking alone why not ...hes no diff, then any other dog ,,,just what u read about the bad ones anyways my wife wouldnt let me lol
Thank goodness for your wife. But the hike isn't just about you or your dog. It's about all the people on the trail that you will meet. You'll have a hard time finding a trail the likes of the AT where you are the only hiker. IT's not that your dog may transcend the stereotype for it's breed. It's being aware of the sensibilities of others. If you hiked with a 45 tucked in your hip belt it doesn't mean you will use it, but you'd be putting other hikers who come to the trail for their own reasons in a very uncomfortable place.
It's not about the dog. It's about logic and understanding of the dogs effect others. Good trail energy.

double j
10-21-2007, 23:47
i understand i wouldnt do that to anyone i barely take him to petsmart ....i was up at damascus sat. at i guess a trail head snapped a few pics i no sooner got back to my car and 2 people was hiking out with big packs so it must be busy huh....

Nightwalker
10-21-2007, 23:47
I hope you're kidding. Even if you perceive him to be a nice dog, you'll certainly make every hiker you come near extremely uncomfortable. Is that the energy you want to bring to the trail? I'm hoping not.

Not every hiker. Some of us actually know that most PBs are cool dogs

double j
10-21-2007, 23:48
do people hike with small guns,,

Nightwalker
10-21-2007, 23:49
But the hike isn't just about you or your dog. It's about all the people on the trail that you will meet.

Huh? I'm not quite sure that I got that one...

double j
10-21-2007, 23:51
i just read 1 that hikes with a rottie hmmmm she didnt get flamed

warraghiyagey
10-22-2007, 00:07
Not every hiker. Some of us actually know that most PBs are cool dogs
Yup, wrong with the word 'every'. But not with the logic.

warraghiyagey
10-22-2007, 00:08
do people hike with small guns,,

Apparently. It's been the topic of a number of threads here.

warraghiyagey
10-22-2007, 00:10
Huh? I'm not quite sure that I got that one...

Try the whole quote and not a pull quote. If not read it again. If not then, it's not that important apparently.

warraghiyagey
10-22-2007, 00:11
i just read 1 that hikes with a rottie hmmmm she didnt get flamed

I didn't see that one. Wher can it be found. I'd think that breed also would have a hard time transcending its stereotype.

double j
10-22-2007, 09:40
it doesnt matter i wouldnt do anythting to make someone nervous im here to make and meet as many freinds as i can hope u have a nice day.

KirkMcquest
10-22-2007, 10:27
I agree, Shelterbuilder. I cannot understand people who let their dogs...... While you can not eliminate risk when you take your dog to the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), proper training and a leash can minimize it.

I think its sad that you won't let pepper run free, even in the woods. On a crowded trail, I can understand it, as a matter of condideration to other hikers. But I think what your saying is that you use the leash to protect the DOG, and not just in stuations where he/she might encounter people but in situations where he/she might encounter wildlife ( like any stretch of woods, anywhere). What kind of life is that for pepper? Safe? yes. Worthwhile( from the dogs perspective)? No. Dogs where not meant to live a life on the leash, I can guarantee that most dogs can take care of themselves alot better in the woods than most people.Personally, I would never bring my dog on the AT just too many people, to many uncertain scenarios ( hotels,resturants, in town etc..). But I never worry about my dog being able to handle himself on the trail, under his own power. I started him young off the leash and he made mistakes, learned from them, and is now a very capable self navigating hiker. Never gets lost, avoids most wildlife, runs a 1/8 mile circle pattern around me all day. When I whistle ( once) he comes in, everytime. Had I treated my dog like a helpless thing who needs 'daddy' to protect him on the trail, he probably would have obliged me.

byron12
10-22-2007, 19:28
I think its sad that you won't let pepper run free, even in the woods. On a crowded trail, I can understand it, as a matter of condideration to other hikers. But I think what your saying is that you use the leash to protect the DOG, and not just in stuations where he/she might encounter people but in situations where he/she might encounter wildlife ( like any stretch of woods, anywhere). What kind of life is that for pepper? Safe? yes. Worthwhile( from the dogs perspective)? No. Dogs where not meant to live a life on the leash, I can guarantee that most dogs can take care of themselves alot better in the woods than most people.Personally, I would never bring my dog on the AT just too many people, to many uncertain scenarios ( hotels,resturants, in town etc..). But I never worry about my dog being able to handle himself on the trail, under his own power. I started him young off the leash and he made mistakes, learned from them, and is now a very capable self navigating hiker. Never gets lost, avoids most wildlife, runs a 1/8 mile circle pattern around me all day. When I whistle ( once) he comes in, everytime. Had I treated my dog like a helpless thing who needs 'daddy' to protect him on the trail, he probably would have obliged me.
I agree and back to the topic of great trail dogs my beagle is horrible he runs off and stays gone hunting for as long twelve hours which is not cool if you want to pack up camp and leave. He was over ten when we got him so untrainable I would say. We also have jack russel terrier thats got alot of energy but she stops to sniff in front of you and you eithir kick her or pass her and have her trying to pass you all the time it can get quite old. The best hiking dog I ever had was lab pointer mix that would run way off and drive wildlife across your path maybe a little annoying for other folks but i found it to be enertaining.

houthuse
10-22-2007, 23:11
Thanks for your input, but my dog is not leashed constantly. She certainly has plenty of time off leash in familiar environments. In fact, she gets more exercise than most dogs I know, both on leash and off, spending a lot of time chasing squirrels and birds, and sniffing everything she comes across. She is a happy dog whose life is definitely worthwhile, I am sure even from her own perspective. You can hardly claim her life is not worthwhile based on my above post. I did not imply that I think dogs should never ever be allowed off leash. If your dog is trained to a level where she is safe running free in the woods, and you are not worried about others in the woods or on certain trails, that's great for you. I don't worry about Pepper on my own property, but here in Louisiana hunters and trappers are a year round question mark, and that is my main concern on public land. I am happy that you have no such things to worry about. Sorry if you think I am taking it too personally, but saying my dog's life is not worthwhile is over the line for me.

KirkMcquest
10-23-2007, 07:51
My statement about pepper was made purely in the context of your first post. I cannot comment on pepper's life, only upon the statements you made regarding keeping a dog on the leash for fear of wildlife, people, etc.. I'm sure pepper PRETENDS to be happy,in front of you, but who knows what she's saying behind your back.[ :

dixicritter
10-23-2007, 07:55
Let's remember what forum we're in here please. This is the dog forum. Threads here are to remain calm. Thank you.

KirkMcquest
10-23-2007, 08:04
I'm sure hothouse can recognize a joke when she hears it. Clearly, pepper is not really talking behind hothouses back. though, who can say....hmmm, nevermind.

shelterbuilder
10-23-2007, 08:05
Some of us don't have the "luxury" of allowing our dogs off-leash. Northern breed owners (huskies, malamutes, etc.) all know that, after the dog is about 6 - 8 months old, if they are left off-leash, they'll take off and you'll find them 5 counties over - if you find them at all!:( They tend to run in straight lines instead of circles (like hounds do) - and it's impossible to catch them (that's just a big game to them) because YOU can't run that fast!

My huskies are off-leash in the yard, in the huse, and when we run them in front of the sled (or the training cart or the mountain bike) - and that's when they seem to be the happiest!:cool: :D And the rest of the time, they tolerate being leashed because - you never know - there might just be a dogsled around the next corner!!!:banana

Nearly Normal
10-24-2007, 01:53
I suppose one could hike the trail with a pet.
Anyone got a kangaroo or maybe a monkey?
Perhaps an ant farm.
Knew a guy in La with a pet Nutrea Rat. That would be perfect.

Nearly Normal

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 13:31
Perhaps an ant farm.

Nearly Normal

As long as said Nutria is on a leash. How many leashes would you need for an ant farm?

shelterbuilder
10-24-2007, 15:10
Perhaps an ant farm.

Nearly Normal

Hey, the kangaroo is a GREAT idea - it could carry extra water in it's pouch for all of those dry sections!:banana

warraghiyagey
10-24-2007, 15:31
Hey, the kangaroo is a GREAT idea - it could carry extra water in it's pouch for all of those dry sections!:banana

Not sure how long the water would last. You know Kangaroos hop. Unless you had a ziplock Kangaroo.:banana :banana

EWS
10-25-2007, 04:42
Not sure how long the water would last. You know Kangaroos hop. Unless you had a ziplock Kangaroo.:banana :banana

Kangaroos don't last very long in Ziplocks, you have dehydrate them to keep them from spoiling.

dixicritter
10-25-2007, 07:46
Let's get back on topic please.

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 08:14
Let's get back on topic please.

Sorry about that.

Met a fellow the other day at Eagle's Nest shelter with a pit bull type dog...friendly! Dog had a pack...the guy said that he used the dog to carry extra water sometimes. They had to walk to the Lower Sand Spring and back, so I guess that the dog got a bit of a "water workout" that day. But he was muscular enough to handle it.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 08:15
Sorry about that.

Met a fellow the other day at Eagle's Nest shelter with a pit bull type dog...friendly! Dog had a pack...the guy said that he used the dog to carry extra water sometimes. They had to walk to the Lower Sand Spring and back, so I guess that the dog got a bit of a "water workout" that day. But he was muscular enough to handle it.

dogs should never carry anything

dixicritter
10-25-2007, 08:20
I don't necessarily agree that dogs should never carry anything Wolf, however... I don't think dogs should be the hiker's Sherpa. I don't feel that's appropriate. The dog carrying some of its own food and/or gear isn't always a bad thing as long as the owner/hiker is prepared to carry it for the dog in the event the dog becomes fatigued.

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 08:21

I'm not taking the bait, LW.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2007, 08:24
I'm not taking the bait, LW.

it ain't bait. dogs should never carry anything. especially on a long distance hike. if the owner feels a need to drag an animal along on a hike then he/she should carry all the dogs food and water. that's how i feel. i could care less what anyone else thinks

shelterbuilder
10-25-2007, 08:35
it ain't bait. dogs should never carry anything. especially on a long distance hike. if the owner feels a need to drag an animal along on a hike then he/she should carry all the dogs food and water. that's how i feel. i could care less what anyone else thinks

For lap dogs, I agree, but any medium-sized and above dog can carry some of the weight of their food, not be injured, and still run circles around us feeble humans!

peanuts
10-25-2007, 12:20
i too agree with lw...my mocha never did!

Adam B
10-26-2007, 10:25
All I can say is all large animals (including humans) are a loaded gun. All of my dogs are trained in schutzhund. My dogs are fully capable of taking down most humans but are happiest licking said human to death. Just show respect for what an animal is capable of and teach them to live in society as happy and well adjusted family members. To be honest it is people who don't believe their animal could ever be dangerous that pose the greatest danger. These are the dogs that are not socialized, supervised and trained. In the mean time I am happy to know that if my dogs ever did bite, that I could call them off with a single word and that said bite wouldn't be a mauling.

peanuts, does you signature mean "A woman's place? Its on the trail" or "A woman's place is on the trail"? Either way I like your quote.

Nearly Normal
10-28-2007, 02:58
Could someone explain the reason dogs are not permitted in the Smokies?

Nearly Normal

superman
10-28-2007, 08:45
For lap dogs, I agree, but any medium-sized and above dog can carry some of the weight of their food, not be injured, and still run circles around us feeble humans!

A Vet Tech told me, when I first started taking Winter on hikes, to NOT try to use my dog as a pack animal. She was not saying that Winter shouldn't or couldn't carry some of her own stuff. She guessed that a dog could carry some percentage of it's weight. Unfortunately I didn't remember what the percent was. I controlled my own pack weight by trying to resupply every three days. That's not hard on the AT so long as it doesn't turn into a town stop. I took town stops about once a week so every other re-supply was a town stop. I had plastic bags in Winter's pack that held three days rations for her. Her pack also had her medical records in a sealed plastic bag and her toe nail trimmers and brush. As her rations went down I put empty gatorade bottles and our trash in her pack. When I re-supplied Winter, I carried what ever exceeded her three day limit or bounced it forward. Then as Winter aged Pat and I divided her stuff between us.

Jaybird
10-28-2007, 08:51
this post is more or less for fun, and to help anyone who's looking for opinions on a future trail dog...............ETC,ETC,ETC,.................... .:rolleyes:

Golden Retriever.
Nuff Said!:D

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 09:56
A Vet Tech told me, when I first started taking Winter on hikes, to NOT try to use my dog as a pack animal. She was not saying that Winter shouldn't or couldn't carry some of her own stuff. She guessed that a dog could carry some percentage of it's weight. Unfortunately I didn't remember what the percent was. I controlled my own pack weight by trying to resupply every three days. That's not hard on the AT so long as it doesn't turn into a town stop. I took town stops about once a week so every other re-supply was a town stop. I had plastic bags in Winter's pack that held three days rations for her. Her pack also had her medical records in a sealed plastic bag and her toe nail trimmers and brush. As her rations went down I put empty gatorade bottles and our trash in her pack. When I re-supplied Winter, I carried what ever exceeded her three day limit or bounced it forward. Then as Winter aged Pat and I divided her stuff between us.

There is another valid reason for having your dog carry some weight in its pack. Is your dog full of energy? Does it run circles around you? Would you like to be able to slow it down so that it is more likely to stay with you instead of running on ahead? Then give it some weight to carry!

NO, don't overload the poor thing!:o Take some time at home to figure out how much weight the dog needs to carry, in order to strike a balance between "superdog" and "pooped pup". The dog will truly be "pulling its own weight", and you won't have to worry about what Fido is getting into around the next bend in the trail. You also won't be wondering "gee, is the dog carrying too much weight". You'll know that it's just right.:)

pitdog
10-28-2007, 10:06
I would rather see a dog carry some weight on a hike.But ,we a civilized nation,consider animals lives worth less than ours,put down more dogs a day than anyone else.A dogs last memory is a human killing it,and still dogs would fight to the death for our safty.Thats loyality,something we all have to remember.

EWS
10-28-2007, 10:34
Loyality is great, but your perspective on how dogs are treated in most "uncivilized" nations isn't close.

dixicritter
10-28-2007, 10:42

Nearly Normal

Here's a link that'll explain it far better than I could....

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 10:46
Loyality is great, but your perspective on how dogs are treated in most "uncivilized" nations isn't close.

From the rational, LEGAL perspective, dogs are property. However, "the heart has its reasons, that reason does not know".

My dogs are members of my family (my "pack", if you will). Many of my friends do not understand this...or me!

I have trouble with the overpopulation problem in this and other countries - canine, feline, and human! But we won't get into that here.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 10:48
Here's a link that'll explain it far better than I could....

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

GOOD link - thanks, dixicritter.

dixicritter
10-28-2007, 10:56
I do my best... :D

chiefdaddy
10-28-2007, 11:05

Nearly Normal

I love the fact that i get to hop over HORSE POOP every two steps almost all the way through the smokies and my little dog is not allowed lol JUST GREAT a touch of the real world on the tral :D

pitdog
10-28-2007, 11:06
Removed by moderator

EWS
10-28-2007, 11:12
From the rational, LEGAL perspective, dogs are property. However, "the heart has its reasons, that reason does not know".

My dogs are members of my family (my "pack", if you will). Many of my friends do not understand this...or me!

I have trouble with the overpopulation problem in this and other countries - canine, feline, and human! But we won't get into that here.

My dogs have always been a part of my family too.

My parent live in the country, they have two labs and they have five fenced acres to run in. My father was bushhogging one day and was letting the dogs run while he out. One of the labs took a dump in a neighbors yard. The neighbor was apparently sitting on his deck and saw what happened and got his shotgun out... My father told the sheriff "It ain't my fault he can't shoot and missed 'em. I justed grazed the bastard, so he knows I can.":D. Don't mess with the dogs of a man who did three tours in Vietnam.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 11:12
I love the fact that i get to hop over HORSE POOP every two steps almost all the way through the smokies and my little dog is not allowed lol JUST GREAT a touch of the real world on the tral :D

How does the NPS view pack animals (horses) in the Smokies?

Dixi, any input here?

dixicritter
10-28-2007, 11:16
How does the NPS view pack animals (horses) in the Smokies?

Dixi, any input here?

here ya go.... http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/horseriding.htm

Edit to add...

I hate stepping over horse poop too btw...LOL.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-28-2007, 11:19
Horses are not viewed as pack animals but as a historic mode of transportation in the Appalachian region - they are allowed on many trails in the GSMNP. Here is a link the a 1.4 MB PDF map of GSMNP hiking trails (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf) which shows what trails allow horses.

Another hiker who hates horse scat.

pitdog
10-28-2007, 11:20
Dogs are not allowed in the park because they chase other animals.Although,there are a few kennels,with good reputations,that will cater to you and your pet.Freedom of speech.

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 11:23

Get a little saddle for Chief and call him a miniature horse - maybe they'll let you take him with you!:D :D

shelterbuilder
10-28-2007, 11:25
Horses are not viewed as pack animals but as a historic mode of transportation in the Appalachian region - they are allowed on many trails in the GSMNP. Here is a link the a 1.4 MB PDF map of GSMNP hiking trails (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf) which shows what trails allow horses.

Another hiker who hates horse scat.

My computer can't open pdf files, but thanks anyway.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-28-2007, 11:38
Shelterbuilder, download Adobe Acrobat (ttp://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) so you can open PDFs if you want to be able to do so.

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 00:17

Both my pets, my wife and myself are "fixed." Seems only sensible unless you've got show-quality stock. That describes none of the four of us. :)

warraghiyagey
10-29-2007, 03:54
Both my pets, my wife and myself are "fixed." Seems only sensible unless you've got show-quality stock. That describes none of the four of us. :)
I'm sure your wife appreciates the inclusion and sentiment.

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 13:19
I'm sure your wife appreciates the inclusion and sentiment.

She's mixed-breed. She's only show-quality to me. Plus, she was neutered before I got her. :)

SunnyWalker
11-10-2007, 23:07
So whats the best breed for hiking the AT? :-)
-SunnyWalker

Uncle Silly
11-10-2007, 23:24

American Mutt. preferably a quiet one.

SGT Rock
11-11-2007, 12:34
OK, stop debating the topic of allowing dogs on the trail. If you got deleted - you were doing it. Dog lovers can get banned from this forum just as fast as anyone else for breaking the rules.

maxNcathy
11-11-2007, 14:02
Our little 6 pound dachshund loves hiking.He won't take much room in the tent and nobody is afraid of him.he was bred to go after badgers so you know he is no wimp.I would bet he could go the distance.
Sandalwood

canerunner
11-11-2007, 14:50

That's odd. the plains Indians loaded dogs with a type of pack or a travois, and it seems to me that the dogs not only survived, but thrived.

Nearly Normal
11-11-2007, 23:06
-SunnyWalker

Human Being!

Nearly Normal

doggiebag
11-11-2007, 23:35
They need supervision ... but once they bond to you ... it's like having an extra shadow. My dog had no problems whatsoever in handling the trail from GA to NH this year. While hauling up to 30% of his body weight. He actually puts his head through the harness of his doggie pack. A trully awsome breed. As I said - the breed is very active and can be destructive if bored. But it's the best dog I've had.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6536/tj6536%5F111107%5F212511%5F280593.jpg (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=280593&back=1)

Nightwalker
11-12-2007, 01:12
American Mutt. preferably a quiet one.

Exactly what I use. She's the best.

cowboy nichols
11-12-2007, 13:59
My german shepard hiked several thousand miles with me .she left for her long hike at the age of 15 She loved hiking and would get mad if I took out my backpack without hers, I am now training a shepard-lab.,My problem will be keepong up. And yes, Kelly (my shepard ) was always on leash.

SunnyWalker
11-22-2007, 18:48
Put you dog's picture on the other string for dog photos. -SunnyWalker

Frau
12-03-2007, 01:47
About 5 yrs ago we drove to Iowa to pick up our future SAR dog, Wirey Winston. Win turned out to be a poor candidate for SAR because he is afraid of loud noises. He is terminally athletic and healthy, though, and is the BEST trail dog I have ever had. He gives the occasional squirrel a run but never catches one and respects both canine and human hikers who cross his path.

German Wirehaired Pointer is my choice for great trail companion. We have a Yellow Lab with a bad hip and knee and a Rottie with a bad hip, so I am extremely for Win's enthusiasm AND fitness for the trail.

Frau
Rockbridge Co. VA

leeki pole
12-03-2007, 18:21
-SunnyWalker
Mountain fiest. Small, about 15 pounds, friendly and a bundle of energy. Bred for the hills. Will chase squirrels and hates mice.

NorthCountryWoods
12-13-2007, 08:08
I've hiked with several of my own and friends dogs and the best I've seen so far is the Jack Russel Terriers. Hiked with a few and they went everywhere we could only easier.
No wimpering at big drops. They're sure footed, they're small enough to carry if necessary, they eat and poop small and fit in a tent or sleeping bag easily.

My current Pit mix is the worst. He doesn't listen, get's hot and winded easy, has a hard time going down steep stuff, chases everything that moves, loves people and their food but hates their dogs, will run if given the chance, is cold at night, and eats and poops way too much!