PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Hike North from Harper's Ferry

queary82
10-03-2007, 02:16
Next weekend I will be doing a three day trip starting from Harper's Ferry. This is my first time doing miles on the AT, so I am hoping some of you may help me with some of my questions/concerns. Right now the plan is to find a place to park my car in Harper's Ferry and hike up to either Crampton Gap Shelter or Rocky Run Shelter(depending on which one I can get to Saturday night) and hike back to my car Sunday night or Monday morning.
My first problem is where to stay Friday night. I am driving up after work and it will take me about three hours to get there(I'm in southern Maryland). By the time I get there and depending on traffic around DC, I won't have much daylight left to play with. Will there be any problems finding a place to camp out for that first night?
The other problem is the water situation. I see that everything is drying up and water is a big concern on the AT right now. Does anyone know if I will be able to find any water sources on this portion of the trail? If there isn't any, I have 3L and 2L camelback's that I can drag with me, as well as a nalgene bottle. Will that be enough water for a 2+ day hike or do I need to bring even more? Thanks in advance.

Alan

Newb
10-03-2007, 13:39
Stay at the Hilltop house hotel in HF. Tell them you want the hiker rate (40.00 I think).

There is water in Crampton gap from a water pump...ice cold and good.
In one day you can make it easily to crampton Gap. Take time to stop and see the Weverton cliffs after you climb up from Weverton.

I heard a rumor that Rocky Run was out for repairs/rebuild.

Shiraz-mataz
10-03-2007, 14:21
Hey! Another southern Marylander! I'm a neighbor from Leonardtown. do you work on base?

By "next weekend" do you mean this coming Columbus Day weekend? If so, maybe we'll bump into you! A buddy and I are hiking the opposite direction, starting at Pen Mar on Saturday and hiking south as far as Greenbrier State park. We did what you are planning back in May and had a fantastic time. The first shelter you'll come to is the Garvey Shelter. Unless you like hiking about 0.4 miles down to the spring from the shelter (and then back up) you better plan to carry enough to get you past there. We were actually able to carry enough water (3 Nalgene bottles and a Camelback) from Harpers Ferry to make it to Gathland State Park which has tons of water and soda machines. From there it's a fairly civilized hike to the Dahlgren Campground which also has water - and nice, hot showers!

As for lodgings in Harpers Ferry, I can't help you there. I stayed at the Hostel once with our Boy Scout Troop but that's not actually in town.

Newb
10-03-2007, 14:24
Also, the Outfitters at Harpers Ferry sometimes offer a shuttle service (for a fee) so you can get picked up or dropped off north of town. I think they may drop you off as far north as I-70 or Pen Mar....
SO, you can get dropped off two days hike north and not have to flip flop.

queary82
10-03-2007, 21:49
Thanks for the ideas and updates. I can't wait to get up there and enjoy the trail.

rafe
10-03-2007, 23:41
Water for sure (from spigots, etc) at Dahlgrens campground and at the Washington monument. Cold beer and good food (after 4 PM) at South Mountain Inn, a stones throw from Dahlgrens.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 23:44
Water for sure (from spigots, etc) at Dahlgrens campground and at the Washington monument. Cold beer and good food (after 4 PM) at South Mountain Inn, a stones throw from Dahlgrens.

don't forget Gathland State park 10 miles north of HF with running water and Coke machine

Newb
10-04-2007, 07:43
What's the name of that biker bar right next to the I-70 bridge crossing?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 07:50
What's the name of that biker bar right next to the I-70 bridge crossing?

The Dog Patch

Lyle
10-04-2007, 10:51
Can leave your vehicle at the Park Service Parking lot. Gated and secure. Must pay the $8 entrance fee, but otherwise, no charge. They provide free shuttles to the historic area.

I second the Hilltop house hiker room - nothing fancy, but reasonable cost. Another option would be the KOA west of town, but more expensive.

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 10:54
Can leave your vehicle at the Park Service Parking lot. Gated and secure. Must pay the $8 entrance fee, but otherwise, no charge. They provide free shuttles to the historic area.

they close at 5:00

queary82
10-04-2007, 20:52
what time does park service open in the morning? i was thinking about staying at the hostel friday night and calling the outfitters early next week about a ride to I70 and just go south back to my car.

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 20:56
8 AM daily

Mini-Mosey
10-12-2007, 00:13
I was out there in that area this past weekend...parked at Gathland State park, stayed at the Rocky Run Shelter area. Rocky Run Shelter is closed for repairs, but the swing, benches, privy, and tenting sites are available. The water source is a piped spring and is flowing. The tentsites are great; they are on the hillside across from the shelter. Follow the blue blazes to and on that hillside to find them.