PDA

View Full Version : Today was my first gear purchase

L Tee
10-03-2007, 11:49
Very excited. I now know im going to be sleeping a little bit more comfy on my new ThermaRest Z-Lite Regular pad at 15 oz. lol

and now its time to go to class. adios

UL minimalist
10-03-2007, 11:54
I got the 'Z' lite short. Good choice...

Miu
10-03-2007, 13:07
Just don't have a heart attack when you have to purchase a whole load of expensive gear at once :)

L Tee
10-03-2007, 13:57
haha thats the only kind of gear I buy

L Tee
10-03-2007, 14:01
its funny half the people I talk to on here I will either not see because they have dropped by the time I would cross paths with them or for just a brief moment in crossing as im heading south to my beloved GA. kinda dissapointing in some aspects.

Shane! Come Back!
10-03-2007, 14:54
Gear heaven, yeah, I'm there. Slobbering over my new Millet Peutery. I was trapped in a time warp with my old workhorse of a backpack, so the Millet is a big splurge for me. Slept with it next to my bed last night.

frieden
10-03-2007, 23:01
You mean you don't live on steepandcheap.com? This year, I got two Camelbaks, rain gear, and a very lightweight knife.

EWS
10-03-2007, 23:14
I've bought 95% of my gear on sale or clearance. Yesterday I picked up one of these PQL (http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/INT0010/c11/s20/Integral-Designs-PLQ-Jacket-Mens.html) for $100 with a coupond code I found. 1V9-1-VDN1M gives you 50% of the normal price of anything on the backcountry outlet site. They have Big Anges Isluated Air Pads for $35 in short and Regualr sizes.

Cannibal
10-04-2007, 08:45
Totally agree with clearance shopping! Almost all the online shops have a clearance or outlet site. Just set them as bookmarks and wait until something you want is 50% off. I got most of my gear in about 4 months doing that and I must have saved at least $300 in the process.

Suzzz
10-04-2007, 11:17
Thermarest is a great choice, I've had mine forever and it's still in excellent shape.

As for buying gear on sale... it seems that whenever I need stuff it's always full price. Then a few weeks later, it's on sale. Yuk!

taildragger
10-04-2007, 11:55
You'll eventually find yourself living on steepandcheap.com as well as gearengine.com

I've gotten everything on sale, or with a discount, the worst deal I got was 20% a marmot helium, but it was the same price that they went for on ebay, and the same price as similiar down bags, so I went and bought it new (its toasty :sun)

Best O' luck with the gear bug, its a nasty virus that will drain your wallet, fill your closet, or force you to learn how to make your own equipment.

Cannibal
10-04-2007, 11:59
Best O' luck with the gear bug, its a nasty virus that will drain your wallet, fill your closet, or force you to learn how to make your own equipment.

Or all three! :eek:

Miu
10-04-2007, 13:07
You'll eventually find yourself living on steepandcheap.com as well as gearengine.com

MY OH MY!!!! I think you've created a new obsession for me....

Blissful
10-04-2007, 13:12
Campmor is also a good place to buy gear.
Sometimes Sierra Trading Post as well.
I switched gear quite a bit before my hike. And during the hike too. You might want to budget for some gear buys during the hike on things that don't work out. Or for Christmas, have the relatives give you $$ that you can use for that purpose. But be sure to budget for new trail runners / boots, insoles, and socks - they are a must. :)

Dancer
10-08-2007, 05:46
I've been dropping the cash on gear this week getting ready for some hiking on my vacation coming up. New Big Agnes sleeping bag for my big self, silk long underwear, hiking capris and shirt, microfiber drawers and bra, altimeter thingy that is also a digital compass, thermometer, barometer, calendar and watch and a boat load of other small stuff like bandanas, first aid stuff etc. Getting my camera today! I'm like a kid at Christmas! Now to pack it all up and still be able to hoist the pack onto my back!

AW

quasarr
10-08-2007, 14:18
Try making your own gear!! It is waaaaay cheaper and very satisfying. For example, I got a tarp and quilt kit for about $200 including shipping. The quilt is a double, so that's like getting 2 sleeping bags and a shelter for the same price as one sleeping bag! My Pepsi can stove cost $0 !!! :D

of course there's some things you can't make yourself and just have to buy - like a camera. :p

taildragger
10-08-2007, 14:20
of course there's some things you can't make yourself and just have to buy - like a camera. :p

nonsense.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera
those things make fun little camera, light as well..