PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts Need a 30 Mile Hike

Takoda
10-03-2007, 12:39
I need help in deciding what part of the AT to take 4 boy scouts on so they can complete their final backpacking requirement of a 30-mile hike. Scouts range in age from 14 to 16. I would obviously like a very scenic route so the scouts can enjoy the hike. Our troop is in Durham, NC. Any help would be appreciated.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 12:41
I need help in deciding what part of the AT to take 4 boy scouts on so they can complete their final backpacking requirement of a 30-mile hike. Scouts range in age from 14 to 16. I would obviously like a very scenic route so the scouts can enjoy the hike. Our troop is in Durham, NC. Any help would be appreciated.

Massey Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park SOBO to Damascus

The Weasel
10-03-2007, 13:07
Takoda:

I second LW's vote, through Mt Rogers Rec area/ Grayson Highlands, especially where the ponies will be.

TW

Creek Dancer
10-03-2007, 13:07
That would be a great AT experience for the scouts! Lots of terrain variety, wild ponies and beautiful scenery. And you could finish off your hike in Damascus with ice cream!

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 13:09
That's the section of A.T. I have recommended to people for a section hike as well. It is hauntingly beautiful in places and the ponies are too cool. Make sure to take a bunch of apples for them.

Tin Man
10-03-2007, 13:22

I think it is awesome that you got this far. What is it, five 10-mile backpack trips first? I cannot imagine getting any boys in our troop to commit to that - too many other activities get in the way. That plus a lot of them are just plain lazy. This is a car camping troop, nothing like we did it in the old days! Enjoy!

Johnny Swank
10-03-2007, 13:27
I third (or 4th) LW's suggestion. Easy logistics, about 3.5-4 hours from Durham, and an awesome place to hike. Ya'll can always bail and hit the Creeper Trail to Damascus if you're falling behind schedule too.

D'Artagnan
10-03-2007, 13:44
Gotta love Grayson to Damascus. Just don't wait too late in the year or it can be colder than a well digger's butt through there.

sweetpeastu
10-03-2007, 15:34
soooo I have a little cousin who is dying to go on a backpacking trip. He's never been before, but he plays football and swims and plays soccer...how many miles carrying a light pack do you think an average 12 yr. old boy could handle?

The Weasel
10-03-2007, 15:39
Without training in backpacking, first time about 5-6 miles a day.

The Weasel

Tabasco
10-03-2007, 15:47
My son at 9 did the 8 miles from Sweetwater Gap (Stecoah) to Cable Gap, then next day did the 8 miles from Cable to Fontana. At 12, he is doing 12 + miles per day with 15-20 lb pack.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 15:48
soooo I have a little cousin who is dying to go on a backpacking trip. He's never been before, but he plays football and swims and plays soccer...how many miles carrying a light pack do you think an average 12 yr. old boy could handle?

10 miles. no problem

Kerosene
10-03-2007, 15:55
I'll give yet another recommendation for the Massey Gap to Damascus section, having just done that section back in June. I was looking to take my lazy daughter and out-of-shape wife (she admits it) on the same section where we would plan to cover no more than 10 miles per day. I think the key is that you take lots of breaks to take pictures, eat snacks, do a nature lesson, pet the ponies, nap, sunbathe, talk, etc. Get out early and take all day and the miles won't seem like such a big deal. It also helps if you can give yourself some flexibility on where you camp so that a day can be shorter or longer depending on how everyone feels.

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 16:03

Plan more than one option so there is no pressure at all.

hacksaw
10-03-2007, 19:16
Massey Gap to Damascus, hands down.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 19:32
Massey Gap to Damascus, hands down.

wow. first time a majority of folks agreed with me on anything AT related. :)

littlelaurel59
10-03-2007, 20:29
wow. first time a majority of folks agreed with me on anything AT related. :)

NOT!!! I'll beg to differ.:banana

Start at DICKEY GAP and hike SB to Damascus. That way you will see the same fantabulous scenery, finish Backpacking MB AND earn the 50 miler award! The folks at Mt Rogers Outfitters will shuttle you up to the trailhead, and you can hike back to your car.

I led a group of boys on the route back in June. We hiked Saturday to Saturday, stopping one full day in Grayson Highlands SP to do a service project (pre-arranged with a park ranger). Probably THE BEST trip I have EVER taken. I enjoyed the trip immensely myself. Watching a group of young men have the hike of a lifetime was priceless. The burger at Damascus Eats was perhaps the best I have ever eaten.

Let me know if you want more details.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 20:33

Start at DICKEY GAP and hike SB to Damascus. That way you will see the same fantabulous scenery, finish Backpacking MB AND earn the 50 miler award! The folks at Mt Rogers Outfitters will shuttle you up to the trailhead, and you can hike back to your car.

I led a group of boys on the route back in June. We hiked Saturday to Saturday, stopping one full day in Grayson Highlands SP to do a service project (pre-arranged with a park ranger). Probably THE BEST trip I have EVER taken. I enjoyed the trip immensely myself. Watching a group of young men have the hike of a lifetime was priceless. The burger at Damascus Eats was perhaps the best I have ever eaten.

dude says the boys need to do 30 miles. not 50. the best burger in damascus is at Dot's. i provide the cheapest shuttles too. :banana

generoll
10-04-2007, 06:33
You might take a look at that Standing Indian loop over by Franklin. I don't know the exact mileage, but it's around 30 miles and you can leave and come back to your vehicles without backtracking or needing a shuttle. There are campsites as well as shelters and I understand the shelters now all have privies. Water is of course the big question this fall, but Ron Haven might have some knowledge about that.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-04-2007, 06:43

If I remember correctly, the scouts are supposed to plan the trip (if it's for the merit badge). Naturally they will want to do it at disneyland, so at least give them 5-6 alternatives as they can learn how to plan properly (MAPS, SUPPLIES, ETC)

joec
10-04-2007, 07:55
I recently did the hike from Watuga Dam Rd into Damascus and ran into 2 different scout troops. It is a little over 30 miles and is a ridge line hike which would give you good views on both sides of the trail. It is relatively flat with moderate ups and downs. There is a great scenic spot just past Hwy 19 in a hilltop pasture that has great views in all directions.

Hungry
10-04-2007, 16:41
Franklin to NOC is just shy of 30 miles, and has good views from Wayah Bald and Wesser Bald, and The Jump off. NOC is not a bad place to land for the kids, and could probably make up the difference here and there. Also, in your state. Just a suggestion.

The Weasel
10-04-2007, 16:49
Franklin to NOC is just shy of 30 miles, and has good views from Wayah Bald and Wesser Bald, and The Jump off. NOC is not a bad place to land for the kids, and could probably make up the difference here and there. Also, in your state. Just a suggestion.

This is also an excellent hike "in the Smokies" but without the hassel of being in the park. It has the advantage of not being crowded with people, and if you are "adding" to the adventure, there may be activities such as kayaking available for your crew at NOC. I still think Mt Rogers/Grayson has more "wow" value, though, and Damascus gives you more "AT authenticity" to arrive in.

TW

cannonball
10-04-2007, 17:28

You can not use the same mileage that you do on backpacking merrit badge to earn 50 miler. You must do 50 miles over a minimum of 5 days. Additionally you need to do 8hrs of service work along the way of the trek. Both the 50 miler afloat and 50 miler hiking call for this.

Takoda
10-04-2007, 17:40
These are GREAT suggestions! Thanks!

The Weasel
10-04-2007, 17:55
You can not use the same mileage that you do on backpacking merrit badge to earn 50 miler. You must do 50 miles over a minimum of 5 days. Additionally you need to do 8hrs of service work along the way of the trek. Both the 50 miler afloat and 50 miler hiking call for this.

No, but I think you can use the same mileage for the "Historic Trails" award, which maybe includes the AT and certainly includes the Creeper Trail going into Damascus.

As to service work, there are abundant opportunities at any section of the trail to do service work (which I'm sure, as Scouts, they will do in any event), which can easily total 8 hrs. Examples can include 100% litter/food/firepit cleaning of shelters (you'll go past several) and packing out debris (bring small whisk broom); cleaning water sources; litterpicking along trails and at road crossings (return for pickup of bags); small hammer/nails/pliers for minor shelter/table repair.

Even if you don't do some of these (or other) things, remind your crew that they are Scouts; more is expected of them than of other backpacking groups, and a modest component of their time should be devoted to service. Often, hikers are suspicious of Scouts as being loud and irritating; I was warmed once to come to an immaculately clean shelter - not a single grain of oatmeal anywhere, the firepit dug clean of debis, a small pile of wood by it - and read in the shelter register the proud remarks of the SPL of a small group of Scouts (they all signed it) about how they hoped hikers would like what they had done that morning.

The Weasel
>>>www->>>

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 18:29
My observation is that scout groups (Boy or Girl) were either a pleasure to be around or absolutely intolerable. There wasn't much middle ground. Either the were extremely thoughtful of others, or weren't at all. The former were quite impressive and the others, you just keep hiking after the first experience. You can tell pretty quickly what kind of a group it is, too.

littlelaurel59
10-04-2007, 22:23
My observation is that scout groups (Boy or Girl) were either a pleasure to be around or absolutely intolerable. There wasn't much middle ground. Either the were extremely thoughtful of others, or weren't at all. The former were quite impressive and the others, you just keep hiking after the first experience. You can tell pretty quickly what kind of a group it is, too.

As a scout leader, I agree. And the difference if often determined by the attitude of the leadership. The guys on my trek were regularly asked to review the principles of Leave No Trace. Expecially #7- Be respectful of others. I hope we have been, and will be, one of the former.

Tennessee Viking
10-04-2007, 23:52
I heard of some scout groups doing a 40-50 mile section every year. Their group has walked the trail 2-3 times.

If you want scenary, try the Tennessee section. You probably want something with Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, Dennis Cove, and Watauga Lake.

Beauty Spot on Unaka is probably one of the best tent camping spot in the area.

The trek up Roan is one of the hardest climbs, but its very rewarding. Open balds. Overmountain Barn Shelter has plenty of room. Grassy Ridge and the Humps have great views.

Dennis Cove has some of the best creekside trail with Laurel Fork Falls.

Watauga Lake has on trail fishing opportunities and a walk across the dam.

Bootstrap
10-06-2007, 09:56

How many days do you plan for this?

Jonathan