PDA

View Full Version : camera lost

namehere
10-03-2007, 12:42
i've lost a digital camera (canon sd800) somewhere between the pine ellis hostel and glencliff. on the remote chance that anyone has found it, i'd greatly appreciate it's recovery. thanks!

mello

ChinMusic
10-03-2007, 12:46
I hope you find it.

One tip for digital camera users out there:

Take a picture of your personal information (on sheet of paper) and store it as a "protected" file (don't erase it if you don't have that function). That way when someone finds a camera they can look thru the pics and see who owns it.

Miu
10-03-2007, 13:05
I hope you find it.

Take a picture of your personal information (on sheet of paper) and store it as a "protected" file (don't erase it if you don't have that function). That way when someone finds a camera they can look thru the pics and see who owns it.
Hey, that's a good idea...I feel like a lightbulb just came on.

Uncle Silly
10-10-2007, 13:01
that's a great idea -- works for MP3 players and USB thumbdrives too. just create a textfile ("IF-FOUND.TXT" or something), put your contact info there, and copy it to the root folder of the device/drive.

namehere
06-25-2008, 19:35
a quick note... my camera and i have been reunited! through a series of fortunate happenstances, including several well-intentioned individuals, my camera has found it's way back to me. my camera decided it had to see a bit of england before it came home. many thanks to ilene trainor, mr. brown of england, and gary & karen of illinois for their generosity.

i would like to remind people that it is a good idea to label their cameras (as has been suggested in previous posts in this thread).

good luck to all current and future thru-hikers!

WalkingStick75
06-25-2008, 20:16
You gotta post more on this story!

modiyooch
06-25-2008, 21:19
I hope you find it.

Take a picture of your personal information (on sheet of paper) and store it as a "protected" file (don't erase it if you don't have that function). That way when someone finds a camera they can look thru the pics and see who owns it.And how many pictures does one have to thumb through to get the owner's info. I don't even carry a camera so I don't know if I know how to thumb through the pictures. An address label on the camera makes better sense to me. Glad you got the camera and pics back.

Wise Old Owl
06-25-2008, 22:25
I hope you find it.

Police are not sophisticated enough to find it. (Most of them have trouble with Windows) Use your Licence & state number if you are going to do this. You would be better off in scratching or etching your numbers into the outside of the product.

phenimore
06-25-2008, 22:30
my cousin just had her gps returned to her, the police found it under suspicious circumstances and set it to go "home" they showed up at her house and asked her if she had a gps stolen... kinda cool

i really want to know the story on this camera, did the people take any fun pictures on the way? :cool:

TIDE-HSV
06-25-2008, 22:32
I had a dropped wallet returned to me once from Munich. I have that same Canon. I had just bought it and had taken it on a vacation to Denmark and Norway in August, '07. I dropped it in the cobblestoned square in front of the King's residence in Copenhagen, except that I leaned back and managed to catch it between my two big toes. I was very proud until I later saw a commercial where the camera was being pounded and smashed, so it turns out that I needn't have worried... :D

namehere
06-26-2008, 00:06
well.. i lost my camera between pine ellis hostel and glencliff, nh. when i first realized i had lost the camera, i contacted ilene trainor with hopes that i had left it at her home or somewheres near the cemetery where i had attended a service for her departed husband. after ilene had graciously searched and re-combed those areas without turning up anything, i assumed that i had left the camera along-side a road-stop rest area while on my way to the ALDHA gathering. this was back in september last year... months passed as did some of my angst about losing half my AT hiking pictures. then i got an email from ilene trainor stating that she might have a lead as to the whereabouts of the camera.

while on vacation, an english gentleman by the name of Mr. Stuart came upon my camera nestled in some boulders alongsde an overlook north of mt. washington, vt. turning on the camera he noticed pictures from a funeral service for a vietnam veteran. in hopes of tracking down the owner, Mr Stuart contacted the vietnam's vet. association but did get an immediately reply from them. the VVA must have put out a notice in their bulletin shortly thereafter about a found camera since a Mr. Stone (illinois) had noticed it and proceeded to trace it back to the trainor family. Ilene Trainor was almost as thrilled as i was about the news. i got in touch with Mr. Stone who subsequently directed me to Mr. Stuart in england and the camera was mailed to my home in february of this year.

i have not had a chance to review the pictures since i have been itravelling all year. here are a few things i have taken from this experience: there are kind-hearted people willing to help others. i hope to carry forward some of this good-will to others as i travel. i had missed the opportunity of seeing Paul Trainor when i stayed with his wife, but felt his lasting impression at pine ellis. losing the camera and half my pictures of my hike did give me time to reflect on the journey using mental pictures, and this was a useful exercise of sorts. since my hike, i've given up a lot of material possessions, as i found them somewhat inhibiting.

and no, i have not had a chance to get to my camera in search of easter eggs. the sd800 is a pretty tough camera- it survived direct falls on rock during my hike. however, i would not recommend bashing it with a hammer just to prove its worth. as with most cameras it did suffer a bit from condensation now and then. overall, it was a good choice. i do recommend that you label your stuff so it doesn't take so much effort by good samaritans willing to get it back to you in case you lose it!

TIDE-HSV
06-26-2008, 00:19
That's a remarkable "feel good" story. I'd only had the camera a week when I dropped it in Denmark, and it was the first day of a three-week trip. I had no idea it was as rugged as it was. As it fell, I was thinking about having to buy another camera at insane exchange rates...

ChinMusic
06-26-2008, 00:39
Great story namehere. It just goes to show that many folks WILL make great efforts to get something like that back to their owner. It is like a quest for them as well, and they will take pride in their success.

And like I posted, a pic of your personal information would make the chances of a return more likely and quicker.