PDA

View Full Version : Help with Interview for the Newspaper

Blissful
10-03-2007, 14:30
I just got the call yesterday - the main Charlottesville paper here in VA wants to run a special feature on our hike to be published in the Oct 28 Sunday edition (which is neat). :) Now to do the interview next week and then a photo shoot (yikes)

Anyone sit down to do an interview about their hike and have a photographer take pictures at your house? If so, like to hear your story about it, what you said, etc and also, I'm trying to decide what to wear for the photo shoot. Maybe just hiking clothes - but most of them are kind of ratty and uh, too big. And I guess I should have my gear out too - like a loaded backpack?
Thanks for any suggestions / help.

Cuffs
10-03-2007, 14:53
Bliss, I cant help with you interview but wanted to say congrats (again) and how cool is it to be in the paper!!

Do they have an online edition? You know we'd all love to see it!!

Jim Adams
10-03-2007, 15:25
wear the nicest hiking clothes that you have, talk as much as you can about how wonderful the trail is, smile alot and just be yourself. everything else will workout fine...

oh yeah, fill your pack with bricks and make sure that the newspaper guy has to move it at least once!!!!!

geek

Suzzz
10-03-2007, 15:37
Hi Bliss,

Congratulations on your interview.

Here are a few tips: Wear your hiking clothes, no matter how ratty they are, they will make you look the part. New clothes (should you decide to go on a shopping spree) will only make you look like a poser. They will take pictures but don't be surprise to only see one or two in the paper. The rest will be used as visual memory for the reporter as he/she sits down to write the story.

Here are some of the questions they might ask:
- Your best moment on the trail
- Your worst moment on the trail
- The people you met
- Your injuries, if any
- Were you ever scared/feared for your life (from people/animal)
- Did you ever think about quitting
- Your suggestions to someone preparing for such a trip
- Would you do it again

They'll ask you to describe your gear but unless the reporter is a fellow hiker do not expect any in depth questions in that regards. Try to relax and be yourself. I know... easier said than done. Maybe it will help if you remember that the interview is not about YOU (sorry, but it's true) it's about your EXPERIENCE on the trail.

I hope that helps. Enjoy!

warraghiyagey
10-03-2007, 15:46
Hey Bliss,

As I used to write for and take photos for a newspaper these are thing that may help.
First with photos, definately have your pack available as close to the condition as you used on the trail. Same with hiking clothes. And finally, you may suggest photos in the wilderness or even on the trail if you live close enough. The photographer will certainly hve artistic ideas of their own, usually pertaining to being congruous with the story,
As for the interview, unless the reporter is a hiker of any sort, it will be a fact finding misssion for them and you will actually be able to lead the way with the stories that make the trail what it was, and is for you.
Maybe go over your journals and memories before you meet with them and jot down the most poignant memories that you can refer to during the course of the interview.
And enjoy the fact that you story is going to be foriegn yet intriguing to the many who will read it and the nature of the trail will flow through you to those who will read of this great experience.
Peace,
Warraghiyagey

grizzlyadam
10-03-2007, 16:07
after the MST in 2005 the local paper did a story about me and the adventure. i met with a reporter three times. one of those meetings consisted of a hike on a 9-mile stretch of the MST near clingmans dome....

pictures were taken on the trail as well. why do an article about someone hiking the trail and then run photos of that person dressed in street clothes and sitting at home?

be yourself. talk about the trail. have fun. bask in the glory....

Newb
10-04-2007, 09:38
Adopt a wild-eyed, disheveled look. Refuse to make eye contact. Keep mumbling something about "never finding the bodies" and "the voices"...

:)

McPick
10-04-2007, 12:07
Hey, Bliss… Sounds like fun. Look, there’s no reason for the interview to be a mystery. You have every right to talk to the reporter, off the record, prior to the interview, and ask about his or her intentions regarding the story… This includes your asking about specific interview questions. You’ll most likely learn the story is intended to be pretty general in scope… A typical Sunday morning paper, human-interest story. You’ll discover the reporter’s knowledge about the subject, (all, some or none) plus you’ll be more comfortable during the actual interview.

Further, you can assist the reporter by preparing a list of questions you think are relative to the story. This allows you to direct him or her “along the path,” thus providing the reporter’s readers with the story you’d like to tell.

Reporters are typically busy, (lots of stories, deadlines, etc) and any prompting they can get that moves the process along, and helps them look better, (specific, educated, interesting questions vs. “How was it?”) is usually appreciated.

Finally, remember what the Genie said to Aladdin… Beeeeeeeeeeeeee Yourself!

Rowdy Yates
10-04-2007, 12:55
Hey Blissful,
Once this article comes out, how about posting a link so that we Whiteblazers, who may be interested, might read it also.

Blissful
10-04-2007, 12:56
great ideas, thanks so much.

emerald
10-04-2007, 14:51
I just got the call yesterday - the main Charlottesville paper here in VA wants to run a special feature on our hike to be published in the Oct 28 Sunday edition (which is neat). :) Now to do the interview next week and then a photo shoot (yikes)

Anyone sit down to do an interview about their hike and have a photographer take pictures at your house? If so, like to hear your story about it, what you said, etc and also, I'm trying to decide what to wear for the photo shoot. Maybe just hiking clothes - but most of them are kind of ratty and uh, too big. And I guess I should have my gear out too - like a loaded backpack?
Thanks for any suggestions / help.

I never sent the press releases and didn't really want the publicity, but maybe I should have as a way of giving back for what I'd received. I know I've read quite a few of the kind of articles you're about to associate yourself with over the years, some of which may have done more harm than they did good.

Before you sit for this interview, I'd suggest you find out who will interview you and email him or her. Tell him or her you are concerned about how the A.T. will be presented to the public and provide a link to ATC's site. Your efforts will help to prepare the reporter and put him or her in the proper frame of mind for the interview. I think your efforts will be appreciated and rewarded.

When you meet, be sure to point out again the A.T. has relied upon and needs volunteers. This does not always come through clearly in articles as will be published.

Be prepared to state clearly what motivated you to hike the A.T. and what you accomplished by hiking it. Too often, hikers who are interviewed come across as clueless to readers. I'm sure you realize what you dreamed about for 30 years and accomplished was more than a six month vacation. Tell everyone about it.

Was the A.T. what you expected it to be? If not, how so? Did you want to quit? What kept you from quitting and what did you learn by not quitting? Surely there is something to be learned though such an experience. How might readers benefit from your experience and the lessons learned?

Not everyone can hike the entire A.T. in a single hike or even in a lifetime, but that's no reason not to become involved as either as hiker or maintainer. The A.T. offers many kinds of opportunities! You might consider providing a link to your journal so readers can get a better idea what such a hike might be like.

I am glad I did what little I could to help and encourage you. Spread the word.

Shades of Gray

emerald
10-06-2007, 15:31
Don't forget to post the link once the article's published. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd enjoy reading it.

woodsy
10-06-2007, 16:30
Don't forget to post the link once the article's published. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd enjoy reading it.

Good luck with it looking forward to it.
BTW, like the new avatar, it's kinda woodsy.
1 post count up on ya, haha.

emerald
10-06-2007, 22:43
1 post count up on ya, haha.

You'll be busy trying to stay there once she gets up to speed again. It was all I could do to keep even with her until she went on a long hike with her famous hiking partner.

Blissful
10-11-2007, 09:13
Well, this afternoon is our interview with the Daily Progress of Charlottesville, VA. Next week they send out the photographer. Appreciate prayers and thoughts this day. I do like talking about the AT, for sure, and we have plenty of tales to tell. Thanks to everyone's suggestions as well. We saw last Sunday's paper and the feature spread they do is huge - two pages worth with at least five photos, including a front color photo. Pretty neat.

shelterbuilder
10-11-2007, 09:17
Well, this afternoon is our interview with the Daily Progress of Charlottesville, VA. Next week they send out the photographer. Appreciate prayers and thoughts this day. I do like talking about the AT, for sure, and we have plenty of tales to tell. Thanks to everyone's suggestions as well. We saw last Sunday's paper and the feature spread they do is huge - two pages worth with at least five photos, including a front color photo. Pretty neat.

Have some fun with this - it's your turn to shine a little!:sun

Sly
10-11-2007, 09:19
I like Suzz's ideas but don't forget to mention the ATC, the local trail club and how others can get involved.

Blissful
10-11-2007, 12:38
Good idea. I printed out info on the ATC and White Blaze for the guy.

Getting a tad nervous. :) But it will be fun too as I get to talk about something that has been a part of me for sooo long.

Uncle Tom
10-11-2007, 14:05
I just had my own interview last Thursday with the local paper. I referred the reporter to my Trailjournal, which is how she got to me in the first place. I sent her a half dozen selected photos that she loved. Don't worry about anything, just be yourself and the experience will come through loud and clear. You are just a mouthpiece for a much bigger force than you can possibly micromanage.

envirodiver
10-12-2007, 10:41
Adopt a wild-eyed, disheveled look. Refuse to make eye contact. Keep mumbling something about "never finding the bodies" and "the voices"...

:)

LOL that is soooooo funny