PDA

View Full Version : hiking shoes or boots?

Roots
10-03-2007, 14:53
I have a general shoe question if any one can help. I tried on a pair of Garmont low hikers today and really liked them. I know the name Garmont, but don't know much about their stuff. Does anyone have any of these shoes and if so, what do you think about them? Thanx for the help!:)

scope
10-03-2007, 15:15
Supposed to be really good trail shoes. I think they're closer to low boots - more weight, materials that don't dry as fast - than are trail runners like my Montrail Hardrocks, which I love by the way.

Roots
10-03-2007, 16:10
Yeah, I'm with you on the trail runners and, in fact, that is what I was going in there to look at-Solomon trail runners. I have foot issues so I kind of have to be picky. The garmonts were gore tex therefore a little stiff but felt good. I've never tried Montrail. Those might be an option to try.

Summit
10-11-2007, 13:59
Hmmm, the older I get, the less boot (or shoe) I seem to want, or be able to stand is more like it. In 1973 I bought the best, extreme hiking long trek boots I could find. I swear these suckers weighed 2 1/2 pounds each foot - bottom line, lots of blisters and I wanted to throw them as far as I could at the end of the day's hike.

Today, I wear trail running shoes and love them! :)

What about rain and getting your feet wet one might ask? Well, I never have been able to figure out how to keep my feet dry in a REAL RAIN, so the best bet is to have good drainage. Some of the newer shoes are excellent for that, with gaping spaces between leather straps and fabric.

What about twisting an ankle one might ask? Walk more carefully! :D

The Solemates
10-11-2007, 14:58
I wont ever by a garmont product again. They have the worst customer service ever. When my shoes fell apart on a long distance hike after only 2 weeks of normal tear and wear, they promised to send me a new pair, but never did. I was lied to over the phone again and again. They are on my list.

dessertrat
10-11-2007, 17:00
I might wear high light boots if in an area with lots of thorns or burrs, or snakes of the poison variety. I would rather wear trail shoes, knowing now what I should have known then.

excuses
10-11-2007, 22:08
Like Summit, back in the 70's I had those heavy boots. I lived in Alaska and wore them everywhere. I loved them. So this year I bought a pair and did some section hiking. I had lots of blisters. My pack was too heavy too. That is when I got my name. Now I hike with 30 lbs and the cross trainers. No blisters and enjoyable hikes.

Just a Hiker
10-11-2007, 22:11
I wont ever by a garmont product again. They have the worst customer service ever. When my shoes fell apart on a long distance hike after only 2 weeks of normal tear and wear, they promised to send me a new pair, but never did. I was lied to over the phone again and again. They are on my list.

I have two close friends who swore by Garmont until they had to deal with their Customer Service Department! Apparently they can be difficult!

Just Jim

spanish
10-11-2007, 22:17
I have always used the heavy all leather high dollar boots. I thought it would be the best for my feet. i have aleays had blister problems. With the trail running shoes, what kind of sock set up are you using? 2 pair, thick - thin, or just 1 pair. I'm looking to make a change,
Thanks

rafe
10-11-2007, 22:22
My experience is like Summit's. I haven't worn heavy leather boots in years. This year I switch to New Balance trail runners half-way through my hike... and kicked myself for the 230 miles or so that I'd suffered in my Wolverines.

Is Peter Limmer still in business? :-?

Roots
10-12-2007, 07:54
I think I have pretty much ditched the Garmont idea. I finally went to get properly fitted, and found a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX I loved. They're boots. I really didn't think I wanted to go this direction again, but those things feel awesome on my feet. My question is if anyone with flat, no heel feet successfully have switched over to trail runners. I don't look forward to more blisters with boots.

nitewalker
10-12-2007, 09:02
traditional thruhiking seasons are best for trail runners but if your hiking out of season you may want a boot that is somewhat warmer and more supportive. off season hiking is more wet along with more icy conditions which may increase the probability of a slip causing an ankle sprain. a boot will give you more ankle support decreasing the chance of a sprain. everyone has their own idea on what to do. during late spring,summer and early fall i go with a trail runner. early spring and late fall i use a midweight boot and diring the colder conditions of winter i use a more insulated boot. my runners are made by nike and my boots are made by EMS.....peace out, nitewalker

leeki pole
10-12-2007, 09:27
I have always used the heavy all leather high dollar boots. I thought it would be the best for my feet. i have aleays had blister problems. With the trail running shoes, what kind of sock set up are you using? 2 pair, thick - thin, or just 1 pair. I'm looking to make a change,
Thanks
1/2 size bigger, Thorlo or Smartwool, and a thin silk liner. No blisters, ever.:)

dessertrat
10-12-2007, 09:44
Ditto on the thick/thin sock thing. Either a silk or nylon undersock, and a heavier wool sock outside. I use plain old men's dress socks (all nylon) for my thin sock, and they work well. This is a trick the Air Force taught me about blister prevention, and it has always worked for me.

bigmac_in
10-12-2007, 09:50
Two words - Trail Runners.

Blissful
10-12-2007, 10:15
Two words - Trail Runners.

Yep, all the way (and coming from one who once swore by boots but did the second half of the hike, including the Whites and southern Maine in Brooks trail runners)

Also, it's good to have people you can deal with. I had an issue with my Brooks trail runners and the top lip of the sole comng unglued in a week (only small problem I had with them). They mailed me a new pair for free.

Blissful
10-12-2007, 10:19
Thanks

I had no blister problems at all with one pair of socks in my trail runners. I did carry several pairs of socks though and made sure to air out my feet and insoles when I took breaks. I carried four pair on the latter part of my hike. I don't see a need to use two pairs of socks in trail runners because they ventilate much better than boots. And runners use one pair of socks.

refreeman
10-12-2007, 10:40
I have a general shoe question if any one can help. I tried on a pair of Garmont low hikers today and really liked them. I know the name Garmont, but don't know much about their stuff. Does anyone have any of these shoes and if so, what do you think about them? Thanx for the help!:)

The Garmonts are excellent. Very well made. I almost bought them but went with Montrail Hardrock trail runners. The Garmonts are low hikers, and sometimes I wish I had selected them as their sole is more ridged and supportive.

refreeman
10-12-2007, 10:47
Hmmm, the older I get, the less boot (or shoe) I seem to want, or be able to stand is more like it. In 1973 I bought the best, extreme hiking long trek boots I could find. I swear these suckers weighed 2 1/2 pounds each foot - bottom line, lots of blisters and I wanted to throw them as far as I could at the end of the day's hike.

Today, I wear trail running shoes and love them! :)

What about rain and getting your feet wet one might ask? Well, I never have been able to figure out how to keep my feet dry in a REAL RAIN, so the best bet is to have good drainage. Some of the newer shoes are excellent for that, with gaping spaces between leather straps and fabric.

What about twisting an ankle one might ask? Walk more carefully! :D

Hmmm, the older I get, they more I prefer support to speed. Support equals less pain at the end of the day. Speed just means I don't need my headlamp as much.

I recently have realized I like my Montail Torres (boots) more than my Montrail Hardrocks (trail runners). More support also means I can hike more aggressively with less concern for hurting myself. Boots are for me!

Roots
10-12-2007, 11:17
These are all great ideas!! I think I might take a little of both. I think I am going to go with trail runners for day hikes and boots on backpacking trips. With all my feet/knee/leg trouble a boot might be my best support with backpacking. I still would like to play with the idea a little. Maybe try some trail runners on a one nighter. By the way, congratulations, Blissful, on your thru hike completion. I read along on your journeys-congrats! :sun

Cosmic Crusader
10-12-2007, 22:39
Sportiva boots for me since 96 ... treat your feet well they will carry you the rest of your life. :-? on theother foot if you are a lightweight hiker with little to carry and its warm - pretend you are just on a trail walk in the park and go with some lowtop trailrunners. Just watch out were you put your feet and if you thru hike and your shoes wear or fall apart unevenly get your arches checked by a pro, flat feet are bad later on and you will wish you had kept a shank underfoot.

gaga
10-13-2007, 08:59
http://www.backcountry.com/store/TIM0010/Timberland-Cadion-Mid-With-Gore-Tex-XCR-Membrane-Mens.html?avad=1403_1359_df_18046
Technical Features:

Material: Schoeller textile with Gore-Tex XCR membrane Lining: Memory foam cuff, mesh lining Sole: Vibram Lacing: Traditional Shank: Full length Pebax elastomer Recommended Use: Day hiking, multi-day treks, extended backpacking Weight: 2lb 3oz (size 9, pair) Warranty: Lifetimeno seams on the front half

watchingtrainsgoby
10-27-2007, 03:31
My first post. Theres a ton of great info on this site and a bunch of cool people. I started training for my 09 thru hike pretty heavily over the past couple of weeks. Ive known for a while that I need new footwear but im not sure which road to take. Ive always worn boots and have been generally happy with them though my backpacking trips have never extended beyond 3 days or 50 miles so this thruhike will be a whole nother animal. I do have slight foot problems which have become a problem during training with my old boots. There is relief with wider footwear but wide sizes arnt the easiest to find. Any suggestions as to wider boots trail runners that I should check out in my shopping adventures?

rafe
10-27-2007, 09:20
New Balance and Dunham cater to wide feet. Lots of folks here (myself included) have had good luck with these brands.

Phlashlite
10-27-2007, 10:54
I started with the traditional hiking boots. I had blisters even though I had broken them in. I also had orthotics because of high arches. In Killington Vermont I swithched to Merrill hiking shoes. They required no breakin. I also went to the spenco backpacker insert. My sore feet and blisters became a thing of the past. I also had no problem with twisting my ankles. I think I heard once that every pound of weight you take off your feet is like 5 off your back. I must say I did notice a difference. My husband changed from the heavy boot to a Keen boot because they have a wide toe bed and he really likes them. They are also very light.

modiyooch
10-27-2007, 14:57
I got stuck in a 3 foot mud hole this summer. If I had had low cut shoes on, I would have lost them at the bottom. Hiking 17 miles out with one shoe would have been a disaster. I have started my hike with boots; I guess I will end it with boots.

rafe
10-27-2007, 15:48
I have started my hike with boots; I guess I will end it with boots.

My guess is that it's a rare hiker that makes it from Springer to K (or vice versa) in the same pair of boots or shoes.

modiyooch
10-27-2007, 15:56
didn't say the same pair of boots.

watchingtrainsgoby
10-27-2007, 23:49
Thanks for your help everyone, I will definitely look into the brands mentioned and I also plan on visiting a foot doctor for more personalized advice. Thanks again!

Smile
10-28-2007, 00:07
Mtn. Crossings is close to the start (relatively) you can always send another pair or alternative there as well. I've always used a boot, and am rethinking myself. :)

laserlips
10-28-2007, 00:21
It sounds like I can thank god for giving me 'cankles'.(Seinfeld fans know what I'm talking about) I've been forced out of high-top footwear by anatomy, and looks like I'm not missing much.
I've used Merrel trail shoes, and some others I bought at LLBean whose name escapes me at the moment.So far so good.

DawgU
10-31-2007, 06:23
I h.ave very flat feet. Heard alot about Inov8 and tried on several pair. The Roclite's are the ticket for me. Lots of support/cushion, super light, and just down right comfy! Saw them on sale this week somewhere for $60. If you're interested I'm sure I can go back and find out where the sale was. If you buy them off the internet, they run one size small.

Summit
10-31-2007, 21:25
Well obviously "one size does not fit all" when it comes to shoe selection, as evidenced by the variety of comments and recommendations so far. If you anatomical foot issues, then by all means consult a podiatrist for advice.

For the average person though, if you've just assumed that backpacking demands hightop, rigid boots, give some good quality trail runners a try. I also agree with several others that a thin silky liner sock with Thorlo wool outers is the way to go - blister free. Get your trail runners a half-size larger than your everyday street shoes and get some Spenco or Superfeet insoles, which along with the double sock setup, will take up the extra half-size space.

If your feet are happy, your hiking experience attains a whole new level and perspective. If you aren't already sold on the idea, give it a try. ;)

Dakota Dan
11-01-2007, 21:57
I trying to figure what the comfort of the trail-shoes will cost.

I've gotten lots of advice to dump the hiking boots and going to a trail-shoe. I have a few questions. Assume the best trail-shoe(IYO) available.

1. (approx) How many pairs to hike the AT?? Whats the REI/or similar retail price per pair. (not the clearance price)

2. Can they be resoled? If so, how much does it cost to resole? How many times can they be resoled, (average)

3. Will low-gaiters cover all the ankle area and help keep out trash etc?

I'm trying to figure out what the overall cost of wearing shoes vs wearing my Fabiano Boots. It will cost me $120 for 2 quality vibram resoles, that should put the two pair of boots I have back in new condition after a thru-hike. The only additional cost will be hardware replacement, laces and any hand stitching (unlikely), and waterproofing. They'll be ready to go again once this is done.

rafe
11-01-2007, 22:16
1. (approx) How many pairs to hike the AT?? Whats the REI/or similar retail price per pair. (not the clearance price)

2. Can they be resoled? If so, how much does it cost to resole? How many times can they be resoled, (average)

3. Will low-gaiters cover all the ankle area and help keep out trash etc?

Q1: My guess, 2-3 pair. About $70-$100 a pair (non-sale price.) I've got 600 miles on mine, they look like they could easily do another 600.
Q2: AFAIK, No.
Q3: Yes. People will give you crap about gaiters. Pay them no mind.

Summit
11-01-2007, 22:23
How many pairs depends a lot on your foot anatomy and how you walk. Last fall I spent a day and night with two SOBO guys who were two days from finishing at Springer (from Maine). One was wearing the shoes he started with. The other ditched his boots after PA and had done, what about 1300 miles in SANDALS - one pair!

Not sure about "total cost of ownership" between heavy boots thru-hike vs. trail runners, but consider this . . . if trail runners cost twice as much, but you had "happy feet" everyday, wouldn't it be worth it? ;)

woodsy
11-02-2007, 07:36
Due to some of the places i end up, boots are my preference of footwear.
Ankle/foot protection is a must meaning protection from rocks, sticks, branches/muckholes/puckerbrush etc.....
Bushwhacking is a common endeavor on many of my hikes and it gets pretty narly at times here in the northeast.
I would say your footwear should depend on where you'll be going with them.
I'm wearing Vasque leather backpackers most of the time and will admit after a 15 mile day they're feeling a lil heavy(that would be a long day for me). Another case of tradeoffs for light versus rugged. I also like the stiff soles, i can stand on a pointed rock and not feel it in the bottom of my feet.
Also, leather treated with sno-seal keeps water out. These same boots strap into snowshoes for winter hiking.
If i were a LD hiker, i would have to reconsider

Dakota Dan
11-02-2007, 12:52
Due to some of the places i end up, boots are my preference of footwear.
Ankle/foot protection is a must meaning protection from rocks, sticks, branches/muckholes/puckerbrush etc.....

I've never tried a "Trail Shoe", but will eventually. I wear hiking boots every day, a lighter version of the ones I actually use when in the Mountains. I have narrow, flat, weak ankles and tender bottomed feet. Your mention of rocks reminds me of the reason I changed to a much heavier boot years ago. Before, my feet would be unbearably sore from just a few miles of PA type rock walking.

Next time in REI I'll check the shoes out, but I can't imagine them giving the same kind of support and protection.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 13:39
I'll make my post, now that I finally the right thread. Yesterday I was in REI and tried their top of the line Trail-Shoe(s) on. They are comfortable and probably would do good on non-LD hikes on a well defined trail. For this, I may end up getting a pair at a clearance type price. That said, I can't imagine setting out on a LD or a Thru-hike because

1. will end up costing a lot more to use, since they can't be re-soled and probably won't get the miles of a Vibram soled boot. Even if the mileage is equal you can get a quality Vibram resole on boots for $60 or less. Not sure you can replace quality shoes quickly for the same.

2. protection of the ankles is non-existent and I question the use of gaiters in keeping the feet clear of debris, elements, etc.

3. Going off trail and crossing shallow streams may be more difficult for your ankles and feet.

I didn't get a lot of replies to my earlier post on the use of shoes vs boots, so I'm just given my 2c on what I've come up with. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Summit
11-04-2007, 14:21
Dakota Dan,

I don't expect everyone to think like me, and will not put down anyone who disagrees or takes another road on this issue, but at 57 I have no ankle turning problems with low-cut trail or running shoes. Gaiters, at least mine, work the same with these shoes as with boots.

I don't see that stream crossing would make much difference. Actually, I carry water shoes for camp shoes and use them if I have to do a stream crossing, keeping my hiking shoes dry.

As to cost, I've said in previous reply, but will state it another way . . . what is it worth to you to have feet that feel great everyday on a long distance hike? Feet feeling good can make or break a good experience on the trail.

I've experienced true joy in backpacking, much more so, since switching several years ago to lightweight hiking footwear. I'd NEVER go back to heavy, rigid over-the-ankle boots. ;)

Summit
11-04-2007, 14:33
Also, while the longest single hike I've done is 300 miles, I've talked to too many AT thru-hikers who have shared having great experiences with lightweight, low-cut walking shoes or trail runners. Many thru-hikers who are not very experienced will start out with the heavy high-top leather "feet-haters," but usually switch to lightweights after talking with other hikers, sending their heavy boots home.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 15:29
One thing I may consider is to carry a pair for camp shoes and to use in case my boots have to be sent in for resole and before my backup pair gets to me. I just need to look at the weight situation.

All the miles of trails, including the AT, have been hiked with leather boots, I'm use to them and know they will do the job, but do want to try the trail-shoes, in some sort of fashion, just not as my only footwear.

Pony
11-09-2007, 15:10
How does packweight affect shoe selection? Can you carry a 40 lb pack with light weight trail runners?

dessertrat
11-09-2007, 15:35
How does packweight affect shoe selection? Can you carry a 40 lb pack with light weight trail runners?

It depends upon your own weight and your own feet. Some people find it difficult, others find it easier. Chris Townsend, who wrote a very popular backpacker's guide book, swears by lightweight footwear no matter what the pack weight. Others say the soles of their feet get bruised by rocks, etc.

The ankles support thing, most people agree today is a myth.