PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Creek Shelter Water Supply

Hooch
10-03-2007, 16:10
Has anyone been to Groundhog Creek Shelter lately or know anything about the water situation there in regard to the drought conditions in the area this summer? I was there in the spring and there was no problem at all, plenty of H2O to go around for all. A friend and I are going to take a 2 day hike in the area in a couple weeks or so and wanted to make sure there was plenty of the wet stuff. Any intel anyone can offer on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

9 Mules
10-04-2007, 13:38
There's water between I-40 and Hot Springs to be had but it's out of puddles. Ground Hog is iffy, but the rest of the trip was o.k. Get water at Painter Branch, about 3 miles North of I-40 and plan on water at Roaring Fork, about 11 miles from Painter, after that its o.k.
We've had 2 days of drizzle rain, started 3 Oct, more so at higher elevations then below 2500', so that'll help some.

Hooch
10-05-2007, 03:55
9mules, thanks a lot. That, along with the intel I got from Bluff ountain Outfitters and the nice folks at Carolina Mountain Club, who maintain that section of the Trail, helps out a lot. I appreciate your response. And Semper Fi!