PDA

View Full Version : Water Problems

potash
10-03-2007, 16:32
In a few weeks I will be hiking the section from Davenport Gap to Sam's Gap. Does anyone have a recent update on water sources for that section? Thanks!

Jim Obermeyer
10-03-2007, 16:48
In a few weeks I will be hiking the section from Davenport Gap to Sam's Gap. Does anyone have a recent update on water sources for that section? Thanks!

Call the Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs at 828-622-7162. I checked with them about three weeks ago and they said REAL DRY...and we haven't had much rain since than.

potash
10-04-2007, 18:38
Thanks for the information!

Rambler
10-09-2007, 08:27
In late August hikers were reporting into Bluff Mt. about water. The only shelter without water before Hot Springs was Deer Park Shelter. North of Hot Springs, no water at Spring Mt Shelter and campsites south of there looked dry with muddy water in one pond. At Allen Gap there is water in the creek about .2 on 208 to your left if hiking north. It does pass through a backyard, so filter it. Little Laurel had a trickle, but good water. Jerry Cabin Shelter was dry, but that shelter did not look very hospitable, a bit run down with a slanted floor, but there is a nice tentsite just north a few yards. Flint Mountain Shelter had a gushing steam just north, running right over the trail. Hogback did have water, but a good hike from the shelter. I was never without water, but it was important to know about the lack of it at certain shelters and many of the small streams that cross the trail were dry. Definitely check at Bluff Mt. Outfitters (the AT passes right by their door) and give them details about what you have found on your hike from Davenport. Also give a call to Standing Bear Farm, the hostel in Davenport Gap, and see if their info is the same as Bluff Mt. info. 423-487-0014 (Hartford, TN) BTW The Standing Bear has a small self-service supply store in case you forgot something like matches or peanut butter!