PDA

View Full Version : Favorite AT Bird

Pages : [1] 2

rickb
10-03-2007, 21:15
This poll asks what is your favorite "AT" bird?

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 21:19
This paoll asks what is your favoratie "AT" bird?

indigo bunting

rickb
10-03-2007, 21:23
I listed the Spruce Grouse.

Slow.

Fat.

Good Looking.

Belongs in the mountains.

For some reason I can just relate to it.

woodsy
10-03-2007, 21:29
Golden Crowned Kinglet. Alas, finally saw one at Bigelow Col last weekend! Black Capped Chickadee 2nd, dee dee dee. They are plentiful here, curious, tame and can be fed from hand.

Roland
10-03-2007, 21:33
Loon......

modiyooch
10-03-2007, 21:34
You don't have any water birds listed. I saw a heron south of dwg. Also, alot of water birds in nJ.

emerald
10-03-2007, 21:36
I just voted for white-throated sparrow. I don't so much picture the bird when I think of it as I hear it and smell balsam as I picture myself walking through an almost pure stand of Christmas tree sized balsam firs on a sunny but comfortable afternoon somewhere on the northern portion of Vermont's Long Trail.

Other favorites are many and include common loon, barred owl, pileated woodpecker, ruffed grouse, red-eyed vireo and thrushes just to name a few.

Wood ducks too!

Tipi Walter
10-03-2007, 21:37
My favorite is the high elevation-loving, high flying and curious Raven. They know so much more than we'll ever know . . .

rafe
10-03-2007, 21:38
Owls. Cuz they're big and they fly below and within the canopy. Amazing critters.

rickb
10-03-2007, 21:48
I had a humming bird come visit us on the Table Land of Katahdin once. I think it was atracted to my wife's red hat. I thought that was kind of cool.

Cookerhiker
10-03-2007, 22:11
Good choices Rick. I almost picked white-throated sparrow but after hikng in Maine last month, I went with loon which is not listed as a choice. Not all birds flit around trees!

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 22:26
The turkey families were pretty cool. Was it Benjamin Franklin who wanted it to be the national bird? I understand why now.

The loon cries were incredible. For some reason you know what it is even if you never heard one before.

The hummingbirds at Pierce Pond Camp were a trip to watch early in the morning. They certainly have a lot of personality.

An owl and I watched each other for ten minutes in Virginia, have no idea what kind.

Pacific Tortuga
10-03-2007, 22:31
Bob-White, reminds me of hunting with my Grand-Pa.

map man
10-03-2007, 22:33
A swallow of any kind. Graceful and sleek, and that metallic blue on their backs looks so cool. And I love it when they dive-bomb all around you as you're walking to get the insects you're kicking up.

frieden
10-03-2007, 23:29
Bob-White, reminds me of hunting with my Grand-Pa.

I like the Bob-White too, although not for the same reason. They are like a comfortable safety blanket. When I hear their sound, I know I'm where I want to be. :)

rafe
10-03-2007, 23:32
Cuckoo. Primary habitat: online trail forums.

Hikerhead
10-03-2007, 23:58
Gray Jay. My first and only eperience with these was last fall just north of South Twim down in the trees. Sitting on my hand eating raisins...that was kind of fun.

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 00:00
Gray Jay. My first and only eperience with these was last fall just north of South Twim down in the trees. Sitting on my hand eating raisins...that was kind of fun.

fond memories of sitting at the old bigelow col shelter holding a piece of granola bar above my head and a gray jay comin down perching on my hand and eating it

Hikerhead
10-04-2007, 00:06
Heading back up that way after the Gatheriing. If I come across any more Gray Jays, I'll put some raisins on my hat and take a self portrait to post on here.

rafe
10-04-2007, 00:14
I remember my friend teaching me about gray jays on a winter hike in the whites. He said, "Watch this bird eat out of my hand." And so it did.

Blue Jay
10-04-2007, 02:57
I like Dark Eyed Juncos because they come into shelters looking for food, just like the mice.

V8
10-04-2007, 06:50
The hermit thrush song just knocks me out. I first heard them in the Maine woods on a hike years ago, wondered what it was. Took a long time to figure it out.

TJ aka Teej
10-04-2007, 07:30
Whiskey Jack (Grey Jay). For years my kids bought the story that they were old friends visiting us. Now, they fool their friends with the same story!
Most recent cool bird: A mid-September hummer that buzzed V8 at Katahdin Stream Campground.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 07:31
The Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge is home (in the winter) to Northern Harriers, Rough legged hawks, and Short eared owls. All are arctic breeders. This is probably the only place on the trail where you can see all 3 species. The Short eared owls are a bit of a rarity. They come out around dusk like clockwork. near where the AT skirts the fields and ponds.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 07:33
My favorite songbird is the Veery. The Wood Thrush is a close second. You pretty much have to go above 4000' to hear a Veery.

Lately I have had a lot of Swainson's Thrushes and Rose Breasted Grosbeaks passing through our property on their way to the tropics.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2007, 07:47
fond memories of sitting at the old bigelow col shelter holding a piece of granola bar above my head and a gray jay comin down perching on my hand and eating it

Intrducing a new feature on WB......The Softer Side of L. Wolf. :D

max patch
10-04-2007, 08:39
whippoorwill

SGT Rock
10-04-2007, 08:42
Chicken. Fried.

Cookerhiker
10-04-2007, 08:44
The Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge is home (in the winter) to Northern Harriers, Rough legged hawks, and Short eared owls. All are arctic breeders. This is probably the only place on the trail where you can see all 3 species. The Short eared owls are a bit of a rarity. They come out around dusk like clockwork. near where the AT skirts the fields and ponds.

Northern Harrier was an '04 thruhiker:D

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 08:44
whippoorwill

dead whippoorwills

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 08:46
Chicken. Fried.

mourning dove. broiled

rafe
10-04-2007, 08:49
The chicken of depression (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/images/chicken%2520of%2520depression.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/humour/humour%2520content.htm&h=426&w=699&sz=76&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=MgT52ftCSgd5mM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=139&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchicken%2Bof%2Bdepression%26gbv%3D2%2 6svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG).

max patch
10-04-2007, 08:56
Chicken. Fried.

I want to change my answer.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 08:58
I saw the chicken truck pulling into Koch Foods this morning here in town. If you saw those sorry looking birds, you'd probably never eat another chicken in your life.

On the other hand, Springer Mountain Farms (http://springermountainfarms.com/) has some mighty fine chicken. And yes, it's the same Springer Mountain.

SGT Rock
10-04-2007, 08:59
I saw the chicken truck pulling into Koch Foods this morning here in town. If you saw those sorry looking birds, you'd probably never eat another chicken in your life.

On the other hand, Springer Mountain Farms (http://springermountainfarms.com/) has some mighty fine chicken. And yes, it's the same Springer Mountain.
I'm a hillbilly - we would eat a crow if you fried it.

Flush2wice
10-04-2007, 09:08
My favorite was the wren. Miles and miles of hearing her call out: "CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER, CHEESE!"

Skyline
10-04-2007, 09:17
Gray Jays in Maine. Because they are almost always coupled, and yogi so well.

Yahtzee
10-04-2007, 10:53
Summer Tanager. Saw one on the downhill into Pearisburg. Thing is so red it looks like a cartoon.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 10:56
Summer Tanager. Saw one on the downhill into Pearisburg. Thing is so red it looks like a cartoon.

Saw one in my yard 2 days ago. A real gem! They are on their way to the tropics.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 11:19
Thought I knew my answer til LW dropped the indigo bunting on us. That would be my favorite if I'd seen them on the trail but only in my yard growing up.
So my favorite is definitely the Juncos I saw at the treeline on Katahdin.
No, make that the loons in Maine, best night music ever and seeing the Mom's with her babies travelling along behind her near the lake shores is so beautiful.
No, make that the Gray Jays (Canada Jays?) that have eaten out of my hans at Sabbath Day lean-to and FullGoose lean-to.
Although the hawk that didn't like people near his section of trail north of Sabbath Day was pretty cool too.
No, make that the mother grouse who feigns injury to protect her babies near the trail.
I also like chicken.:rolleyes:

fehchet
10-04-2007, 11:21
Hard to pick a favorite. I like the crows in the morning, Loons anytime, and then listening to the early evening song birds. Robins are the best.

Furlough
10-04-2007, 11:26
In Virginia - The Rufous Sided Towhee - singing out "Drink your tea".

Furlough

leeki pole
10-04-2007, 11:54
Saw one in my yard 2 days ago. A real gem! They are on their way to the tropics.
They are quite a sight. I've had a couple on my feeder this week. The hummers are passing through on their way south as well. Not to mention the butterfly migration in full swing, monarchs and orange sulphurs seem to be the most numerous here.:)

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 12:12
Thought I knew my answer til LW dropped the indigo bunting on us. That would be my favorite if I'd seen them on the trail but only in my yard growing up.

Indigo Buntings like edge habitat. Whenever you cross under a powerline on the AT (between May & Sept), that's a good place to look for them.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 12:14
Robins are the best.

If you're learning to bird by ear, A Scarlet Tanager is often described as a Robin with a sore throat. A Rose Breasted Grosbeak is sometimes described as sounding like a Robin that has taken singing lessons.

Listen to their songs online here - http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/ and tell me what you think.

jlb2012
10-04-2007, 12:26
Tufted Titmouse - seen NYE on Springer a couple years ago

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 12:38
Indigo Buntings like edge habitat. Whenever you cross under a powerline on the AT (between May & Sept), that's a good place to look for them.

Yes, they are difficult to miss when you see them. Saw a few rose breasted grossbeaks feeding on berries at Gentian Pond. Haven't seen a Scarlet Tananger since I left home years ago but they are also hard to miss.
Wish I could see another Pileated Woodpecker. Very impressive bird when you see them in the clear on a stump. If only I'd had my camera that day!:)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 12:39

hehehe, you said tit:rolleyes:

The Weasel
10-04-2007, 12:42
I started calling Juncos "rat bird" almost from the start. They would aggressively go through every part of a shelter to get every last piece of oatmeal or anything else, in an incredibly funny form of persistence and feistiness. My favorite was the time I carefully ate my oatmeal one morning, scraped my pot clean, and rinsed it and (as was my wont) drank the rinse. The junco that sat 10 feet away watching me was so enraged that it followed me down the trail for about 10 minutes screeching, flying in front, landing, and lecturing me, over and over. I finally broke down and opened my pack and left a handful of oatmeal for it.

TW

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 12:47
I started calling Juncos "rat bird" almost from the start. They would aggressively go through every part of a shelter to get every last piece of oatmeal or anything else, in an incredibly funny form of persistence and feistiness. My favorite was the time I carefully ate my oatmeal one morning, scraped my pot clean, and rinsed it and (as was my wont) drank the rinse. The junco that sat 10 feet away watching me was so enraged that it followed me down the trail for about 10 minutes screeching, flying in front, landing, and lecturing me, over and over. I finally broke down and opened my pack and left a handful of oatmeal for it.

TW

Wow, that's more aggression than I've ever seen from a Junco. Where did this happen?

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 12:48
BTW, how did Loons not make the poll?????????????

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 12:50
Wish I could see another Pileated Woodpecker. Very impressive bird when you see them in the clear on a stump. If only I'd had my camera that day!:)

You'll hear them virtually every day on a thru-hike. The same for the Scarlet Tanager once mid-May comes around. The Tanager is harder to see because it likes to sing from the crown of tall trees.

emerald
10-04-2007, 12:55
A swallow of any kind. Graceful and sleek, and that metallic blue on their backs looks so cool. And I love it when they dive-bomb all around you as you're walking to get the insects you're kicking up.

Your post makes me think of chimney swifts, which I like at least as much as swallows. Like many other neotropical migrants, they arrive back here almost to the day they're expected. I've read they winter in Peru.

I've long been aware of similarities between these neotropical migrants and those who hike with spring, hence my red-eyed vireo posts aimed at northbounders about not starting too early.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2007, 12:56
What is that bird that sounds like it's singing inside a pipe or culvert??

emerald
10-04-2007, 13:00
You'll hear them virtually every day on a thru-hike. The same for the Scarlet Tanager once mid-May comes around. The Tanager is harder to see because it likes to sing from the crown of tall trees.

As spring approaches, I like to get out my books and read about what birds can be expected in the days ahead. Last spring, I knew the scarlet tanagers would be here any day and watched for them. There were about 3 hikes in a row when I saw tanagers always along watercourses just when they were supposed to be there.:)

emerald
10-04-2007, 13:05

It's hard not to like a bird that calls my name.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:07

Possibly a woodthrush? One of the prettier bird songs in the NE.

emerald
10-04-2007, 13:10
The hummingbirds at Pierce Pond Camp were a trip to watch early in the morning. They certainly have a lot of personality.

They may even scrap with one another around feeders almost as hikers here do.;)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:10
Although in Florida you have all those fancy import birds so it's hard to tell.:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:12
[quote=Appalachian Tater;419168]

quote]

Except for the ones Tim has hangin in the dining room.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 13:20

Possibly a woodthrush? One of the prettier bird songs in the NE.

Sounds more like the Veery to me. Where were you when you heard this? Elevation? Habitat (hardwood forest, meadow, evergreen forest) State? Time of year?

Alligator
10-04-2007, 13:29
Wood thrush for me too. I finally walked up on one of these this year.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2007, 13:58
Sounds more like the Veery to me. Where were you when you heard this? Elevation? Habitat (hardwood forest, meadow, evergreen forest) State? Time of year?
Summertime.....4-5000 ft NC/TN. I know you tried to help me before. Now that my computer sound system works, I'll listen to some of those suggestions and report back tomorrow.

horicon
10-04-2007, 14:24
Once an owl then always an owl.a

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 14:25
Summertime.....4-5000 ft NC/TN. I know you tried to help me before. Now that my computer sound system works, I'll listen to some of those suggestions and report back tomorrow.

Veery. I'd bet $$ on it.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 14:26
Veery. I'd bet $$ on it.

Roger Tory Peterson would probably agree.

leeki pole
10-04-2007, 14:26
Must be "peter-peter-peter." Hear them every morning when I walk the dogs. They're full time residents here. Fiesty little dudes, too.

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 14:28
Wood thrush for me too. I finally walked up on one of these this year.

If you see a Wood Thrush, it'll usually be on a branch 10-15' off of the ground. Different species are real specific about their habitat and their habits. You hear these in the woods all the time. That's the benefit of birding by ear. You don't have to see it to know what you've stumbled upon.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 14:30
If you see a Wood Thrush, it'll usually be on a branch 10-15' off of the ground. Different species are real specific about their habitat and their habits. You hear these in the woods all the time. That's the benefit of birding by ear. You don't have to see it to know what you've stumbled upon.

You only have to be told it's a wood thrush song once to remember it forever, for an otherwise unremarkable looking bird.:)

Marta
10-04-2007, 14:53
Here's another vote for the loon.

Most of the other bird sightings were just that, sightings. The loons were a treat for both eyes and ears.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 14:58
Here's another vote for the loon.

Most of the other bird sightings were just that, sightings. The loons were a treat for both eyes and ears.

Marta, don't you rember the music that comes and goes in the woods of the NE? Very pretty and can help focus the thoughts.

emerald
10-04-2007, 15:01
You only have to be told it's a wood thrush song once to remember it forever, for an otherwise unremarkable looking bird.:)

You don't need to be pretty, if you can sing!;)

weary
10-04-2007, 15:15
And you don't have to tame them. They are naturally tame. But loons deserve special mention. I love their calls. And I worry about their future. Loons are being poisoned by fisher people using lead sinkers.

emerald
10-04-2007, 15:33
But loons deserve special mention. I love their calls. And I worry about their future. Loons are being poisoned by fisher people using lead sinkers.

Do you think it would be wise to legislate against lead sinkers or prohibit them at sites known to be those loons frequent and maybe more importantly do you think those individuals who fish in these locations would comply?

The Weasel
10-04-2007, 15:35
Do you think it would be wise to legislate against lead sinkers or prohibit them at sites known to be those loons frequent and maybe more importantly do you think those individuals who fish in these locations would comply?

Game agency here in CA was sacked for trying to limit lead shot, which is causing serious problems for the California Condors.

TW

shelterbuilder
10-04-2007, 15:39
I vote with Ben Franklin - the wild turkey.

emerald
10-04-2007, 15:42
Are you posting about the bird or the spirits named for the bird?

emerald
10-04-2007, 15:46
Game agency here in CA was sacked for trying to limit lead shot, which is causing serious problems for the California Condors.

TW

I'm inclined to think the anglers in California could get by just fine with steel sinkers as can waterfowl hunters with steel shot, but I'm pretty sure there are no California condors in Maine.;)

shelterbuilder
10-04-2007, 15:51
You're a rascal too! Are you posting about the bird or the spirits named for the bird?

Whatever floats your boat!:eek: :D

ChimneySpring
10-04-2007, 15:54

I was going to list this bird, but I see I was beaten to it. We have a pair that's nested briefly on our property every June/July. Incredible scarlet color.

emerald
10-04-2007, 16:08
Whatever floats your boat!:eek: :D

I don't own a boat, and you're still a rascal!;) I think turkeys can be more than just a bit stupid. Maybe you haven't seen enough of them.:D

shelterbuilder
10-04-2007, 16:22
I don't own a boat, and you're still a rascal!;) I think turkeys can be more than just a bit stupid. Maybe you haven't seen enough of them.:D

Are you kidding??? I'm talking to one now!!!:D :D

emerald
10-04-2007, 16:29

Don't you think your post's a bit over-the-top as well as off-topic? This thread's about birds, not A.T. hikers and/or maintainers. Maybe you shouldn't take what's posted so personally and tell us what's your favorite bird instead?:)

weary
10-04-2007, 17:20
So called "sportsmen" in my experience bitterly oppose anything that interrferes with their sport. Duck hunters opposed laws that outlawed lead shot that was causing massive deaths among ducks. So I guess most fisher types will oppose switching to steel weights.

Probably "most" is unfair. I don't really know. There are many wise and responsible hunters and fishermen. But there are an awful lot who are irresponsible. The shelters, roadsides and trails used by so called sportsmen tend to be the most heavily littered.

Weary

emerald
10-04-2007, 17:36
Roger Tory Peterson would probably agree.

I don't believe he's able these days. When I met him at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary years ago and he agreed to sign my copy of A Field Guide to the Birds, I'll have you know he had on his blaze orange cap.

It was Mr. Peterson's cap that caught my attention. He knew it's wise to wear blaze orange and I was glad he did too.;)

MOWGLI
10-04-2007, 17:42
Way too many fisherman are slobs. It's usually the guys who fish with bait and a 6 pack. I say that as a fisherman myself. Want to be disgusted? Checkout the trash in the rocks of any jetty popular with fishermen in the northeast. Weary, Popham Beach is probably one of my favorite haunts for catching stripers.

Regaridng hawk watching, some of you should visit Mount Peter in Warwick. It's 200 yards off of the AT just north of RTE 17A. I have spent many hundreds of hours there IDing and censusing migrating raptors. It is the 2nd longest running hawk watch in the US.

Sunrise Mountain and Raccoon Ridge on the AT in NJ are two more active hawk watches. Raccoon Ridge is a great place to see Golden Eagles in November & December. They tend to follow the Kitatinny Ridge,. We get far fewer Goldens at Mt Peter, even though its onlt 30 miles east.

emerald
10-04-2007, 17:51
Those who don't wish to hike to Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's north lookout and hang out with the raptor enthusiasts there can see the same raptors as they fly right over Bake Oven Knob on the A.T. before the people who pay to see them at HMS. Even so, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's still a great place to visit and support anyway.;)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 18:24
I don't believe he's able these days. When I met him at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary years ago and he agreed to sign my copy of A Field Guide to the Birds, I'll have you know he had on his blaze orange cap.

It was Mr. Peterson's cap that caught my attention. He knew it was wise to wear blaze orange and I was glad he did too.;)

That's cool. He would have been a great person to meet. Any other RTP stories besides the blaze orange cap?

woodsy
10-04-2007, 18:34
Chick-a dee-dee-dee, dee-dee-dee
Anyone out there who doesn't like the chick-a dee?
It's not getting much recognition here

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 18:36

Chickadees are dumb

woodsy
10-04-2007, 18:42
Chickadees are dumb
:confused::confused::confused::-?

emerald
10-04-2007, 18:43
That's cool. He would have been a great person to meet. Any other RTP stories besides the blaze orange cap?

No, that's about all there is to tell. He was to be speaking and signing books earlier in the day and I missed the opportunity to meet him then.

I asked him if he was Dr. Peterson and he said, yes, he was. I told him I missed the activity earlier in the day and asked if he would sign my field guide. He was concerned that others might notice and he'd cause a distraction as there was a outdoor meeting beneath a tent underway nearby.

I thanked him for his contributions to ornithology and for what he'd done to aid and encourage my own experiences. I'm sure it was something he'd done and words he'd heard many times before, but I meant a lot to me.

emerald
10-04-2007, 18:52
Chickadees are dumb

I could be wrong, but I think woodsy posted the lyrics to the boreal chickadee's song. You must not mistake slow for dumb warraghiyagey.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 18:53

Woodsy, I've been sitting here for 6 minutes waiting for your reply. I thought you were going to leave me hanging. Of course I'm kidding. IT went like this in the morning while I was growing up (snow belt east of lake Ontario).
We had three feeders and every winter morning I would fill them before sunrise. At sun rise the chickadees would come in- sometimes up to 150 or so. Then the Evening Grossbeaks would gather in the upper tree braches. After a few minutes of the grossbeaks descending increasingly into the lower branches they would instantly decide it was their turn and a wave of warm yellow would hit the ground and cover the feeders in a matter of about 5 seconds as the chickadees careened back into the lower trees.
Then the blue jays would slowly show up and fight for a little room.
By the end of the morning the chickadees were back to clean up.
I like the little critters. Always have.:)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 18:58
No, that's about all there is to tell. He was to be speaking and signing books earlier in the day and I missed the opportunity to meet him then.

I asked him if he was Dr. Peterson and he said, yes, he was. I told him I missed the activity earlier in the day and asked if he would sign my field guide. He was concerned that others might notice and he'd cause a distraction as there was a outdoor meeting beneath a tent underway nearby.

I thanked him for his contributions to ornithology and for what he'd done to aid and encourage my own experiences. I'm sure it was something he'd done and words he'd heard many times before, but I meant a lot to me.

OK, so I learned everything I didn't know about birds from his book 'Field Guide to North American Birds' as I was growing up. And you have one he signed for you. Now that's a cool story. Thanks.
Peace:)

emerald
10-04-2007, 19:02
Here's a link (http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/rtp/biography.shtml) for those who might want to read a bit about Roger Tory Peterson.

woodsy
10-04-2007, 19:19
Chickadees are dumb

I figured, didn't sound like you

On another note:
Went looking for a new bird book recently, all Mr Paperback had was the Audubon guide at the time so i bought it.
Didn't like the layout so took it back and found the Peterson's guide on the shelf and made the exchange even stevens
I like the layout of Peterson's much better!

rickb
10-04-2007, 19:24
This is a real good one too: http://www.sibleyguides.com/

The original is too heavy for a pack. Not sure about the new ones.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 19:28
Oh, and so everyone knows I met Woodsy at Pierce Pond. Definitely one of the great people I've met on the trail and someone I consider a friend.
And I thought he'd think it was really funny to hear me say that Chickadees are dumb thing.
Aaaaaanywho, that was meant to be funny.
It was kind of a take on the movie Spaceballs where Rick Moranis as Darth Vader says "and evil will always prevail over good because good is dumb."
I guess this falls under the category my girl has for my humor. "If nobody else laughs it's not funny."
Oh well. I always keep tryin.:)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 19:35
I figured, didn't sound like you

On another note:
Went looking for a new bird book recently, all Mr Paperback had was the Audubon guide at the time so i bought it.
Didn't like the layout so took it back and found the Peterson's guide on the shelf and made the exchange even stevens
I like the layout of Peterson's much better!

For sure I'm biased on Peterson's because I'm familiar with it but I have checked out others along the way and found that Petersons really tells it best. And it doesn't really deviate from it's style over the years which is also a big plus.
And Shades has a signed copy of one.:)

woodsy
10-04-2007, 19:39
Hey Wargy
missed you on Bigelow last week but got to hear and see that Pileated Woodpecker you mentioned.....too cool. Should have been there....and that's just the tip of the iceberd....Spruce Grouse, Golden Crowned Kinglet, chickadees, Red Breasted Nuthatches, Juncos, Robins etc. etc.
Oh, and the Canada Geese came a honking over Bigelow Col in the early am...through the clouds

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 19:50
Hey Wargy
missed you on Bigelow last week but got to hear and see that Pileated Woodpecker you mentioned.....too cool. Should have been there....and that's just the tip of the iceberd....Spruce Grouse, Golden Crowned Kinglet, chickadees, Red Breasted Nuthatches, Juncos, Robins etc. etc.

Bird life is definitely one of the best parts of the trail. In particular, within five days I experienced three different times a mother grouse feigning injury to lure me away from her babies, not realizing that I was just walking through but willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. Pretty powerful stuff,
I've also spent time with Canaday (Gray) Jays eating from my hands at Sabbath Day and FullGoose. And the cry of the loon at night generally keeps me at my journal for enough hours to keep track of my headlamp batteries.
But I really dug that Hawk that swooped down on me (and many other hikers) just north of Sabbath Day. It was his spot and I could get with that.
But I'd love to see a Pileated WP again.

LostInSpace
10-04-2007, 22:01

You're talking to a domestic turkey ... not the American Wild Turkey. There is a difference. :D

Heater
10-04-2007, 22:38
The chicken of depression (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/images/chicken%2520of%2520depression.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.da-erdington.org.uk/humour/humour%2520content.htm&h=426&w=699&sz=76&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=MgT52ftCSgd5mM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=139&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchicken%2Bof%2Bdepression%26gbv%3D2%2 6svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG).

Subservient Chicken (http://www.subservientchicken.com/)

MOWGLI
10-05-2007, 07:00
But I'd love to see a Pileated WP again.

Learn their call. They are a common bird in the woods of the NE.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pileated_Woodpecker.html#sound

nitewalker
10-05-2007, 07:45
how about a turkey vulture or red tail hawk.....

Gray Blazer
10-05-2007, 07:49
Veery. I'd bet $$ on it.

I'll bet you are right. I couldn't get the song to play, but, the audio description imitated the song veery well.

ChimneySpring
10-05-2007, 09:37
Learn their call. They are a common bird in the woods of the NE.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pileated_Woodpecker.html#sound

Also all over Northern Virginia.

MOWGLI
10-05-2007, 09:47
Also all over Northern Virginia.

All of the east coast. I have them on my property all the time. But then again, I live at a bird oasis. :sun

My favorite woodpecker is still the Red Headed. They are beautiful. I don't know where you'd find them on the AT - if at all. They have a very patchy distribution. Birders often refer to a species like that as "local", meaning that they like a specific habitat, but are not widespread. Just sort of here & there.

leeki pole
10-05-2007, 10:31
I love to see the woodpeckers come back every year on my back 40 to nest. I've had the pleasure to watch a pileated and a red-bellied raise young in the same place each of the last two years, different trees of course. They are beautiful birds. But they can make quite a racket!:)

warraghiyagey
10-05-2007, 10:40
All of the east coast. I have them on my property all the time. But then again, I live at a bird oasis. :sun

My favorite woodpecker is still the Red Headed. They are beautiful. I don't know where you'd find them on the AT - if at all. They have a very patchy distribution. Birders often refer to a species like that as "local", meaning that they like a specific habitat, but are not widespread. Just sort of here & there.
We had red-headed where I grew up in the Tug Hill Plateau NY. Also thanks for the link for the Pileated. I've eard that song many times. :)

emerald
10-06-2007, 21:11
My favorite woodpecker is still the Red Headed. They are beautiful. I don't know where you'd find them on the AT - if at all.

According to A Century of Bird Life in Berks County, Pennsylvania (1997), red-headed woodpeckers have been seen migrating along Kittatinny Ridge, but migrants have normally passed through Berks by early October. Overwintering birds in the farm country have been logged by the Bernville, Hamburg and Reading Christmas Bird Counts as recently as the 1980s and 90s.

Referred to as an increasingly rare and local resident and migrant, a red-headed woodpecker can be seen in Berks County, but someone on the A.T. would be most fortunate to sight one.

A Century of Bird Life in Berks County, Pennsylvania includes a number of plates depicting paintings by Dr. Earl L. Poole, a naturalist, painter and author who served as curator of Reading Public Museum. The plate opposite p. 161 shows a Poole painting of 2 red-headed woodpeckers on a snag.

Reading Public Museum published Poole's A Half Century of Bird Life in Berks County, Pennsylvania in 1947. He died in 1972.

thestin
10-06-2007, 21:26
Veery. Love its song.

MOWGLI
10-06-2007, 21:33
Checked some field guides today. Grouse is a favored prey of the Goshawk.

woodsy
10-07-2007, 08:56
How come no one has voted for the Ruffed Grouse yet? What's the matter, they scare the pants off ya? Huh?

MOWGLI
10-07-2007, 08:58
My fave is the Puffin. I saw one in my favorite state on the AT - Delaware.

emerald
10-07-2007, 09:53
How come no one has voted for the Ruffed Grouse yet? What's the matter, they scare the pants off ya? Huh?

Pennsylvania's General Assembly (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/) voted for ruffed grouse and I started a WhiteBlaze thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28210) about them.

Surely a registered Maine guide isn't skeered of a little birdy?:D

rickb
10-07-2007, 10:19
My fave is the Puffin. I saw one in my favorite state on the AT - Delaware.

Not sure who was more lost-- you or the Puffin.

emerald
10-07-2007, 10:35
Oh, and so everyone knows I met Woodsy at Pierce Pond.

Now that's cool!:) Did he have on a blaze orange hat when you met him?

woodsy
10-07-2007, 11:56
:) Did he have on a blaze orange hat when you met him?
Nope, twas fishin season, had flyrod in Hand:D And backpack on back.:cool:

MOWGLI
10-07-2007, 12:05
Not sure who was more lost-- you or the Puffin.

What?? You skipped Delaware? No patch for you! ;)

warraghiyagey
10-07-2007, 13:57
Now that's cool!:) Did he have on a blaze orange hat when you met him?

No orange hat. The only hunting there was for fich that day. But I figure the odds of seeing him on next year's SOBO are pretty good seeing as I've hiked Maine twice and met him once.

No patch? Good. Just extra weight on the pack. But it would be cool to see a Puffin. Never thought they'd be visible from anywhere on the trail. And yes Ruffed Grouse are great if you don't mind poopin' yourself.:)

woodsy
10-07-2007, 15:39
Worse than the Patridge for spooking is the American Woodcock which waits till you're about to step on em and then explodes at your feet. Not too often on the AT but other areas while out tramping about.

But I figure the odds of seeing him on next year's SOBO are pretty good seeing as I've hiked Maine twice and met him once.
Yeah we'll do it up right next year, bringing the skillet and cornmeal, you can paddle me around in the canoe while i catch us some din din.(grin)

emerald
10-07-2007, 20:57

No patch? I thought whiteblazers were required to skip as they cross over The Delaware.:D

Press
10-07-2007, 21:02
Red-tailed hawk.

Footslogger
10-07-2007, 21:39
Actually ...my favorite AT bird was/is a 2003 hiker called "T-Bird".

'Slogger

rickb
10-07-2007, 22:06
I moved up to Maddog 20/20 myself. :eek:

Jim Adams
10-07-2007, 22:22
I moved up to Maddog 20/20 myself. :eek:

rickb,
obviously you've never met T-bird!

geek

warraghiyagey
10-08-2007, 15:22
Worse than the Patridge for spooking is the American Woodcock which waits till you're about to step on em and then explodes at your feet. Not too often on the AT but other areas while out tramping about.

Yeah we'll do it up right next year, bringing the skillet and cornmeal, you can paddle me around in the canoe while i catch us some din din.(grin)

So it's to be Pierce Pond then? I'm actually planning Pierc P. as a zero so that would work out great. Definitley one of the beautiful camp spots in Maine. Hopefully pancakes at Tims and a couple great campfires. Maine should be about June 1 to June 23 or so, so I'll see you out there somewhere. Also planning trail maintenance in May. PM me.

furthur
10-08-2007, 15:43
indigo bunting has my vote but loved the scarlet tangier who attacked my mirror off the blue ridge parkway

gold bond
10-09-2007, 09:07
While Ron Haven was shuttling us to Deep Gap last Wed he was telling us a story about how he saw a bunch of turkeys on on part of the road last time he was going that way. No sooner had he gotten the words out of his mouth we rounded a curve and there were about 20 turkey in the road. They stood there for about 1 minute or so.
Also we stayed at the new shelter at Waya Bald and the Owls "barked" all night! I love the sounds they make. We saw alot of Thrashers and a butt load of Junco's. Cooler weather must be coming!

the goat
10-09-2007, 09:19
definitely the loon.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-09-2007, 11:41
We were driving along with GSMNP on our left and national forest/private land on our right. We came upon a flock of turkeys, half on the left side of the road, half on the right. When we stopped to look, the ones on the right quickly crossed to the left, which led my kids to come up with a REALLY bad joke (I'm warning you, it's bad):

Why did the turkey cross the road?

So it wouldn't get shot.

You had to be there.

On topic: whipporwhills are my favorite bird. I just love falling asleep to their call. Are they in decline? I haven't heard one the past couple of years.

warraghiyagey
10-09-2007, 19:10
Ivory Billed Woodpecker:rolleyes:

Blue Wolf
10-09-2007, 19:36
The finger bird?

Uncle Silly
10-10-2007, 13:39
loved the loons in Maine and all the woodpeckers all over, but owls are still my favorites!

emerald
10-10-2007, 14:58

Must be "peter-peter-peter." Hear them every morning when I walk the dogs. They're full time residents here. Fiesty little dudes, too.

No, my name's just Peter. The birds from Maine, not surprisingly call "pita-pita-pita." Bird enthusiasts who've never been to Maine should go there and listen carefully -- it's true. I've never heard a Maine bird here. They must be wise travelers doing here as Pennsylvanians do.

The birds from New Hampshire and Massachusetts may have a similar call. I suspect one day they'll be split off as a seperate sub-species.;)

emerald
10-13-2007, 12:43
owls are still my favorites!

I like owls as much as anyone, but if I ever come across that great horned owl again that gored me at dusk on the A.T., wildlife regulations won't provide adequate protection!:D

notorius tic
10-13-2007, 13:16
It was the Bald Eagle i saw on top of the big K this year with Niner

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2007, 12:59
This Black Vulture allowed me to get within 30 feet to snap this pic. He was with three others, who were not as bold, one flew off to a nearby tree. The other tried to appear as bold as the one in the pic, but it was obvious he was not the bold one.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13698&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936

sasquatch2014
12-30-2007, 16:17
Well my first vote is for Chicken it just is so tasty. I really like the sub-spicies of Fried.

I do like turkey. Yes same can be said that they are tasty. I like them because they are so fun to follow and when they do fly off it is great to see such a big bird take flight in the thick of the woods. I love hearing them call to one another once a flock has been broken up as they try to get together again.

Spigot
01-19-2008, 20:05
Feeding gray jays and other animals on the trail makes pests. It definately doesn't follow minimum impact or LNT ethics. Why dont people feed shelter mice and racoons? Because it harms ecosytem. This is why thru hikers have to carry bear cannisters and it is also why chain link fences were taken down from shelters in the smokies. People were feeding bears thru the fences! Wow! By the way my favorite birds are owls or pileated wood peckers.

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 20:20
...This is why thru hikers have to carry bear cannisters...
I never carry a bear canister and I sleep with my food in my tent. DISCLAIMER: I also ensure I have my hiking pole always at the ready:D

warraghiyagey
01-19-2008, 20:32
Feeding gray jays and other animals on the trail makes pests. It definately doesn't follow minimum impact or LNT ethics. Why dont people feed shelter mice and racoons? Because it harms ecosytem. This is why thru hikers have to carry bear cannisters and it is also why chain link fences were taken down from shelters in the smokies. People were feeding bears thru the fences! Wow! By the way my favorite birds are owls or pileated wood peckers.
When I'm feeding the grey jays the last thing on my mind is that I'm doing something wrong - and it won't be this year either.
If the 'leave no trace' scriptures testify that that is a sin, then I start questioning the Author.
Take a few breaths and try to smile.:sun

Oh, and . . . :welcome:welcome

woodsy
01-19-2008, 21:23
I feed crumbs to the Gray Jays too, only if they eat from my hand! Never been attacked by one either. Birds are one thing, aggressive attack for food type animals are another.

jboomer
01-19-2008, 21:43
After days of rain, ice, and extremely dense fog my spirit was sinking. I reached the top of a Georgia mountain and saw this beautiful bird and all was right in the world. Grouse??????? They are like herding cows; sometimes frightening in their attack and overall bothersome ..... it's their Spring time thing. I vote the Tananger

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 22:36
...I vote the Tananger
Is that what this is? I saw these guys everywhere starting on Springer all the way through the smokies. The seemed to go away once it got warm.

warraghiyagey
01-19-2008, 22:42
Is that what this is? I saw these guys everywhere starting on Springer all the way through the smokies. The seemed to go away once it got warm.
It's hard to tell from the colors, obviously not a scarlet tanager and looks a little plump for a tanager to me.
Maybe my screen is acting funny or something but he looks like a young mountain blue bird. I know that's probably a horrible stabe at it plus I don't think their territory is that far east.
Sooo, basically. . . . I'm an idiot.:p

CrumbSnatcher
01-19-2008, 22:48
:banana
I never carry a bear canister and I sleep with my food in my tent. DISCLAIMER: I also ensure I have my hiking pole always at the ready:D

i too sleep with my food bag in my tent now an then,makes for a good pillow. but what the hell you gonna do with that hiking stick. how well can you swing a hikingpole in a tent? squirrel,mouse yeah. bear no... better hope the bear doesnt think of a few things to do with that stick. bear 1 hiker 0

emerald
01-19-2008, 23:25
To learn more about Pennsylvania's Important Bird Areas, click here (http://pa.audubon.org/iba/). While you're there, take notice Pennsylvania's one of the best places to observe wood thrushes and scarlet tanagers.

Oddly, one of the A.T. sections most maligned by thru-hikers is Kittatinny Ridge (http://pa.audubon.org/kittatinny/), the largest of Pennsylvania's IBAs which is considered to be of global significance.

bloodmountainman
01-19-2008, 23:35
The owl, woodpecker and wild turkey are tops!

emerald
01-19-2008, 23:39
I saw these guys everywhere starting on Springer all the way through the Smokies. They seemed to go away once it got warm.

Maybe they (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Dark-eyed_Junco.html) flew faster than you walked.

emerald
02-03-2008, 10:13
I just finished reading Of a Feather: A Brief History of American Birding and recommend it to everyone who has an interest in birds.

To learn more about Of a Feather or Scott Weidensaul's other books, visit Scott's website (http://www.scottweidensaul.com/). You may also want to check out his blog.

Last fall he was a guest on NPR's OnPoint. I listened to this program entitled "Birding in America (http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2007/11/20071129_b_main.asp)" yesterday and enjoyed it.

I encourage readers who desire to purchase a copy of their own to support their local bookstore or order from amazon.com by accessing it from Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's website.

I will return the copy I borrowed from The Yocum Library at Reading Area Community College today. It will be available to anyone who has borrowing privileges with Berks County Public Libraries on Monday.

Lobo
02-03-2008, 10:24
I believe the bird is a Dark-eyed Junco.

emerald
02-03-2008, 11:18
A Century of Bird Life in Berks County, Pennsylvania includes a number of plates depicting paintings by Dr. Earl L. Poole, a naturalist, painter and author who served as curator of Reading Public Museum. The plate opposite p. 161 shows a Poole painting of 2 red-headed woodpeckers on a snag.

Reading Public Museum published Poole's A Half Century of Bird Life in Berks County, Pennsylvania in 1947. He died in 1972.

Dr. Poole's paintings will be exhibited along with others by John James Audubon from 2/16/08 - 7/6/08 at Reading Public Museum.

Google Reading Public Museum for hours and driving directions.

emerald
02-03-2008, 12:13
Today while re-reading this thread, I learned about the above-named opportunity on PGC's Watchable Wildlife page. Since the link there wasn't good and other readers might be interested too, I've posted the correct link here (http://web1.audubon.org/trailMaps/trail-guide/).

emerald
02-03-2008, 12:37
"Traveling by interstates you can easily miss areas of scenic beauty and rich natural diversity."

Through hikers on the Appalachian Pedestrian Interstate seem to have the same problem.;)

emerald
02-03-2008, 14:08
Audubon Pennsylvania has collected many of the better birding links I posted here and some other helpful links I didn't post on their Wildlife Resources (http://web1.audubon.org/trailMaps/birds-and-wildlife/) page.

emerald
02-23-2008, 17:08
Today I saw 3 passenger pigeons, 7 Carolina parakeets, a pair of ivory-billed woodpeckers, Pennsylvania's state bird and a peregrine in The Green Diamond! Others were present and saw them too.

Top that, Wargy.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:16
Ivory-billed woodpecker mating with a Toucan.
Also saw a Cedar Waxwing mating with a Cardinal.
Oh. . . And a Scarlet Tananger mating with an Indigo Bunting.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif

mudhead
02-23-2008, 17:24
Today I saw 3 passenger pigeons, 7 Carolina parakeets, a pair of ivory-billed woodpeckers, Pennsylvania's state bird and a peregrine in The Green Diamond! Others were present and saw them too.

Top that, Wargy.

I thought you were going to stop that mad scientist/junior chemist type of home experimentation.

emerald
02-23-2008, 17:24
Ivory-billed woodpecker mating with a Toucan.
Also saw a Cedar Waxwing mating with a Cardinal.
Oh. . . And a Scarlet Tananger mating with an Indigo Bunting.

I'm not buying, Wargy. Any witnesses?

I saw a toucan too. Wasn't paying attention to what species.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:27
I'm not buying. Any witnesses?
Yeah. . . I've got lots of witnesses. . . and uh, . . . yeah. . . some pictures too on my camera and I'll just download them in a minute as soon as . . . hey look over there! . . .

emerald
02-23-2008, 17:36
I've got witnesses who will vouch for every one of my sightings.:p:)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:37
Even the Ivory -Billed Woodpeckers??
Hmmm.
Your story's full of holes.
:p:):D

shelterbuilder
02-23-2008, 17:40

I'll personally vouch for SOG - he's seeing things all the time!:D

emerald
02-23-2008, 17:41
I'll personally vouch for SOG - he's seeing things all the time!:D

Pipe down, wiseguy. I was taunting Wargy.

wtmntcaretaker
02-23-2008, 17:43
I was hiking in the kinsman's last early spring/ late winter and I was blessed with the company of a pair of Pine Grose Beaks. they dont usually come this far south but they couldn't have been anything else. Very pretty birds.

shelterbuilder
02-23-2008, 17:44

Sorry - just let me know when you need help....;)

warraghiyagey
Jealous cuz I've really seen Ivory Billed Woodpeckers.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif

emerald
Even the Ivory -Billed Woodpeckers??
Hmmm.
Your story's full of holes.
:p:):D

Would you care to point out the holes?:confused:

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:45
Sorry - just let me know when you need help....;)
Help with lil ol me??
That's like needing help operating a light switch.

:p

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:46
Would you care to point out the holes?:confused:
Ivory-Billed?? Did you mean Pileated? If you've seen Ivory-Billed that would likely be CNN newsworthy.:)

shelterbuilder
02-23-2008, 17:47
Help with lil ol me??
That's like needing help operating a light switch.

:p

One never knows...in THIS place!:D

emerald
02-23-2008, 17:54
Ivory-Billed?? Did you mean Pileated? If you've seen Ivory-Billed that would likely be CNN newsworthy.:)

Pileateds? No, sir! Definitely ivory-billed woodpeckers.

If you don't believe me, call The Reading Public Museum on Monday. They might still be there. You might be able to see some other rare birds too.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 17:56
Pileateds? No, sir! Definitely ivory-billed woodpeckers. If you don't believe me, call The Reading Public Museum on Monday. They might still be there. You might be able to see some other rare birds too.
Oh, you soooooo owned me on that one.:p:mad:
Goddamit.
100 points to Shades.:sun

Poop:mad:

Survivor Dave
02-23-2008, 17:59
Fried Chicken!!!:banana

I've lost it! Some more.......

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 18:00
Fried Chicken!!!:banana

I've lost it! Some more.......
Chicken Wings. MMMMmmmmm

emerald
02-23-2008, 18:24
They [ivory-billed woodpeckers] might still be there. You might be able to see some other rare birds too.

Actually, the probability you'll see every bird I claimed to see today is close to 100% since they're expected to remain stationary until July 6. To see Carolina Parakeets (http://www.readingpublicmuseum.org/exhibits/current/bird_artists.html), click on the link. To see the other birds, you'll need to visit The Green Diamond.

Wags
02-23-2008, 18:26
baltimore oriole is beautiful

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 18:27
Actually, the probability you'll see every bird I claimed to see today is close to 100% since they're expected to remain stationary until July 6. To see Carolina Parakeets (http://www.readingpublicmuseum.org/exhibits/current/bird_artists.html), click on the link. To see the other birds, you'll need to visit The Green Diamond.
"I know now why the caged bird sings."
Or just sits there motionless.:p

STEVEM
02-23-2008, 18:54
Here's my wifes newest best friend.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/9/3/6/1/chickadee_original.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22352&c=675)

mudhead
02-23-2008, 19:03
Tell your ms. she has good karma.

shelterbuilder
02-23-2008, 19:05

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/9/3/6/1/chickadee_original.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22352&c=675)

"A bird in the hand....":D

That's cool.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:07
"A bird in the hand....":D

That's cool.
Ummmmmm . . . . . .
:o

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:07

That's the smallest Canada Jay I've ever seen.
:D

emerald
02-23-2008, 19:18
Maybe you should consult your Peterson.:rolleyes:

STEVEM
02-23-2008, 19:31
That's the smallest Canada Jay I've ever seen.
:D

Actually, It's a dwarf Canada Goose.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:34
Maybe you should consult your Peterson.:rolleyes:
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/whistling.gif

Actually, It's a dwarf Canada Goose.
With that I'm guessing the bird was saying, "Are you my mama?":p

STEVEM
02-23-2008, 19:47
This little guy showed up last fall with his friend and they've stayed all winter. First time we've ever seen a Carolina Wren at our feeders. He's a bold little guy and always gets his share no matter who's around.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22356&c=675

elray
02-23-2008, 19:53
II Cat and I called in a big bearded wild turkey one foggy morning just north of Big Meadow in SNP when we did that section, it was pretty exciting! That big ole Tom was sure he had found a girlfriend and gobbled over and over for five minutes! At the shelters I like watching the nuthatches walk up and down the trees and make that funny sound that's familiar to all. Roger Tory Peterson's Field Guide to the Birds is still the Bible in my opinion but too heavy to carry. Just use your digital camera a lot and ID them when you get home. Good thread!

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 19:57
Roger Tory Peterson's Field Guide to the Birds is still the Bible in my opinion but too heavy to carry. Just use your digital camera a lot and ID them when you get home. Good thread!
I have a really decent weight paperback version that I would consider taking on the trail. (It's just the North America Version)

celt
02-23-2008, 19:58
Great poll.
Bicknells Thrush or Winter Wren, I can't decide. I love both their songs.

STEVEM
02-23-2008, 20:12
Blackbirds are my least favorite. Sometimes we take down the feeders to discourage them.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22358&catid=member&imageuser=9361

emerald
02-23-2008, 20:28
Wargy, do you think Emily Saliers might favor the indigo bunting (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Indigo_Bunting.html)?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:33
You guys wanna see a funny exchange between me and Woodsy a few months ago??? He didn't know me quite so well then. It still makes me laugh.

Chickadees are dumb

Woodsy, I've been sitting here for 6 minutes waiting for your reply. I thought you were going to leave me hanging. Of course I'm kidding. IT went like this in the morning while I was growing up (snow belt east of lake Ontario).
We had three feeders and every winter morning I would fill them before sunrise. At sun rise the chickadees would come in- sometimes up to 150 or so. Then the Evening Grossbeaks would gather in the upper tree braches. After a few minutes of the grossbeaks descending increasingly into the lower branches they would instantly decide it was their turn and a wave of warm yellow would hit the ground and cover the feeders in a matter of about 5 seconds as the chickadees careened back into the lower trees.
Then the blue jays would slowly show up and fight for a little room.
By the end of the morning the chickadees were back to clean up.
I like the little critters. Always have.:)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:35
Wargy, do you think Emily Saliers might favor the indigo bunting (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Indigo_Bunting.html)?
Nice work Shades. I'm listening to her voice as we speak. Also, the I.B is one of my favorite birds. Only seen a handful in my life. Very special.

emerald
02-23-2008, 20:40
I was tempted to edit and insert a quote from that exchange you've now posted just before STEVEM's chickadee photo.

woodsy
02-23-2008, 20:44
This thread has gone to the birds.....chick-a-dee-dee-dee (smart bird)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:44
I was tempted to edit and insert a quote from that exchange you've now posted just before STEVEM's chickadee photo.
It still makes me laugh thinking of poor Woodsy up their having this epiphany that this really cool Wargy guy he'd met at Pierce Pond was really an ahole.

emerald
02-23-2008, 20:45
I'm listening to her voice as we speak.

Indigo Girls was released the summer I worked with GMC's Long Trail Patrol. I listened to it over and over and would sing along as I hiked on the Long Trail on my days off. You'd likely know the title of their following release.

woodsy
02-23-2008, 20:47
It still makes me laugh thinking of poor Woodsy up their having this epiphany that this really cool Wargy guy he'd met at Pierce Pond was really an ahole.
Laughs on me...this time:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:53
Indigo Girls was released the summer I worked with GMC's Long Trail Patrol. I listened to it over and over and would sing along as I hiked on the Long Trail on my days off. You'd likely know the title of their following release.
Strange Fire
Nomads, Indians and Saint's
Back on the Bus Y'all (LIVE)
Rights of Passage
Swamp Ophelia
12:00 Curfew (DOUBLE LIVE)
Shame on You
etc. . . . .

Is that about right???

"I left my anger in the river out on Highway 5
New Hampshire, Vermont, boardered by
College - farms - hubcaps - and falling rocks
Voices in the woods and the mountaintops

I used to search the reservations
And native lands
Before I realized
Everyhwere I stand, they're have been
Tribal feet running wild as fire
Some past life sister of my desire. . ."

-Amy Ray

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 20:55
Laughs on me...this time:rolleyes:
:D:D
Guess I know who's carrin the beer next time.:o

emerald
02-23-2008, 21:20
"Raptor Force (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/raptorforce/)" airs Sunday, February 24th at 8 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings).

woodsy
02-23-2008, 21:27
:D:D
Guess I know who's carrin the beer next time.:o

Seeing we're talking about birds, I'll settle for Blackfly Stout:D
The Blackfly is the Maine State bird:rolleyes:

emerald
02-23-2008, 21:54
Now there's a bird apt to vote for hikers as its favorite, but I'm doubtful hikers will reciprocate.:-?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 22:01
Seeing we're talking about birds, I'll settle for Blackfly Stout:D
The Blackfly is the Maine State bird:rolleyes:

Isn't It Ironic??

"There's a black fly in your chardonnay. . . I mean . . . beer."

Dogwood
02-23-2008, 23:41
Don't have one: Peregrine Falcon, Barn Owl, Eastern/Mountain Bluebird, Ruby throated Hummingbird, Eastern Goldfinch, Bald Eagle, Junco, Pileated Woodpecker, Loon, Pintail Duck - heck I like them all equally!

Tinker
02-24-2008, 00:20
Wood Thrush. Hiking in New England's lower elevations you can hear the call like a very light airy flute or slide whistle.

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 01:44
Wood Thrush. Hiking in New England's lower elevations you can hear the call like a very light airy flute or slide whistle.
Definitely. Wood Thrush has gotten some good love here.:sun

emerald
02-24-2008, 06:44
goldfinch

Pennsylvania Germans have a particular fondness for der Dischdelfink which appears in their artwork. Especially paired, known as a double distlefink, it was believed to represent happiness or good luck.

Der Dischdelfink or Distlefink translates as thistle finch. Their preferred food is thistle seed and their nests are lined with thistle silk. It is one of the latest nesting A.T. birds.

fehchet
02-24-2008, 07:47
"Teabird" hands down.

STEVEM
02-24-2008, 08:36
"Teabird" hands down.

Hope I don't regret this, but what's a Teabird?

warraghiyagey
02-24-2008, 13:38
Hope I don't regret this, but what's a Teabird?
Yeah, I'm almost nervous waiting for the answer to this one.

STEVEM
02-24-2008, 13:50
Yeah, I'm almost nervous waiting for the answer to this one.

If he tells me its a Ford, I'll have to say that I'd prefer to take the canoe.

bustedchucks
02-24-2008, 23:17
I saw a Bald Eagle in Harriman State Park last weekend. I had stopped for a snack break just south of the Long Path and caught some motion in the sky. The unmistakable clean lines and grace of a raptor. It must be so much fun to be one of them, it'd be like surfing on the wind, and the view...it would rock. Anyway it was flying in my direction and as it got closer I realized it was a Bald Eagle. White head, brown body, white tail, good sized bird. I did some happily incredulous cursing out loud and hung out for five minutes of so hoping he'd come back into view, but no dice and it was a little too cold to stay still for long.
First time I've seen one, it was really cool

Rockhound
02-24-2008, 23:54
saw an American bald eagle at tinker cliffs last year. was about 15 over our heads at one point, looking right down at us

Jim Adams
02-25-2008, 00:03
"Teabird" hands down.

Definitely....hiked in '03 I think.

geek

emerald
02-25-2008, 18:15
"Raptor Force (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/raptorforce/)" airs Sunday, February 24th at 8 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings).

I watched the NATURE program last night and would recommend it to everyone who's fascinated by raptors and flight.

mudhead
02-25-2008, 18:41
brown body, First time I've seen one, it was really cool

You were close!

Here's hoping for many more sightings. It stays cool.

STEVEM
02-25-2008, 19:45
I saw a Bald Eagle in Harriman State Park last weekend. I had stopped for a snack break just south of the Long Path and caught some motion in the sky. The unmistakable clean lines and grace of a raptor. It must be so much fun to be one of them, it'd be like surfing on the wind, and the view...it would rock. Anyway it was flying in my direction and as it got closer I realized it was a Bald Eagle. White head, brown body, white tail, good sized bird. I did some happily incredulous cursing out loud and hung out for five minutes of so hoping he'd come back into view, but no dice and it was a little too cold to stay still for long.
First time I've seen one, it was really cool

You can see lots of eagles this time of year wintering along the Upper Delaware River. On occasion I've seen 40-50 in a day. There's plenty of information at this site: http://www.eagleinstitute.org/

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 19:48
Only place I've ever seen an Eagle was Washington's Crossing PA.
Saw an Osprey in nest in Western Adirondack foothills where both Eagles were rumored to be present also.
Was told there were Eagles around Pemadumcook Lake in Maine but didn't see any.

woodsy
02-25-2008, 20:06
Flagstaff Lake and Kennebec River too Wargy, keep your eyes open'
They are really all over Maine now.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 20:12
Flagstaff Lake and Kennebec River too Wargy, keep your eyes open'
They are really all over Maine now.
Bald's only?? Any Golden's?

STEVEM
02-25-2008, 20:14
Only place I've ever seen an Eagle was Washington's Crossing PA.
Saw an Osprey in nest in Western Adirondack foothills where both Eagles were rumored to be present also.

I watched four migrating osprey last spring at a small lake near my home. The state stocked the lake in the morning with small rainbow trout and the birds spent the entire day eating them.

mudhead
02-25-2008, 20:15
Now you're being fussy about type.

Stevem-Did you get bored watching?

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 20:16
Now you're being fussy.
True. . . so do they have both in Maine??:p:)

woodsy
02-25-2008, 20:21
Bald's only?? Any Golden's?

There was supposedly a nesting pair of Golden Eagles in the Boundary Mountains northwest of Bigelow back in the mid 80s.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 20:37
Well, don't want to stir up a hornets nest here but ....... There was supposedly a nesting pair of Golden Eagles in the Boundary Mountains northwest of Bigelow back in the 80s. Thats why a proposed windfarm there back in the 80s was denied. They must have moved to Quebec:rolleyes:
There's a little hamlet south of Black Lake in northern NY called Brasie Corners. I've seen Osprey there and al the locals spoke about having both Bald and golden Eagles on the lake.

mudhead
02-25-2008, 20:40
There's a little hamlet south of Black Lake in northern NY called Brasie Corners. I've seen Osprey there and al the locals spoke about having both Bald and golden Eagles on the lake.

Suprised. I didn't think they would share space.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 20:41
Suprised. I didn't think they would share space.
I'm not sure of their particular territorialities, but the lake is a good 30 mile long (probably more) and probably at least 3 miles wide at it's widest.
I'm wondering too. I never saw them but lot's of the locals talked about them.

Smudge
02-25-2008, 21:37
Turkeys!!! They taste way better than any of the others listed!!!:D :D

bustedchucks
02-25-2008, 21:57
You can see lots of eagles this time of year wintering along the Upper Delaware River. On occasion I've seen 40-50 in a day. There's plenty of information at this site: http://www.eagleinstitute.org/

Great link, thanks.

Jim Adams
02-25-2008, 22:04
Turkeys!!! They taste way better than any of the others listed!!!:D :D

Oh...I don't know...turkeys taste alot like Bald Eagle!:D

geek

Smudge
02-25-2008, 22:15
Nah, bald eagle is really fishy..:D :D

GGS2
02-25-2008, 22:16
Oh...I don't know...turkeys taste alot like Bald Eagle!:D

geek

Turkeys eat seeds and stuff. Eagles eat dead fish and other carrion.

Eew.

warraghiyagey
02-25-2008, 22:17
Turkeys eat seeds and stuff. Eagles eat dead fish and other carrion.

Eew.

MMmmmm. Protein and Omega 3 oils all in one.

woodsy
02-26-2008, 08:56
There was supposedly a nesting pair of Golden Eagles in the Boundary Mountains northwest of Bigelow back in the mid 80s.

Counts of migrating golden eagles at hawk watch sites in the East indicate that the Eastern population is slowly increasing.

Some history on Golden Eagles in Maine and beyond from:
http://maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/endangered_species/golden_eagle/index.htm

ScottP
02-26-2008, 17:42
morning dove--I like it's call

mudhead
02-26-2008, 17:54

But they sure ain't very swift.

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2008, 18:10
Scarlet tanager, I shot an awesome photo of one of these overlooking Harpers Ferry on my Thru in 06

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Scarlet_Tanager.html file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHEESE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHEESE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 18:16
But they sure ain't very swift.
Certainly not as swift as a Swift.

taildragger
02-26-2008, 18:17
The Freebird. Most likely to hear its song while ol' pickups drive by in the South

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 18:19
The Freebird. Most likely to hear its song while ol' pickups drive by in the South
"What song is it you wanna hear?" . . . . .
"I heard it that time"

mudhead
02-26-2008, 18:23
Certainly not as swift as a Swift.

Swifts are clever?

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 18:52
Swifts are clever?
Maybe. I saw one that dove so fast once. Certainly dove faster than any Dove I've ever seen.

Smudge
02-26-2008, 19:01

I think it's actually spelled "mourning" dove specifically because of that call...

They taste great too by the way...

warraghiyagey
02-26-2008, 19:03
They taste great too by the way...

Maybe that's why they're mourning.

Footslogger
02-26-2008, 19:09
Saw lots of cool birds along the trail in 2003 but by far my favorite was the Gray Jay. Check out this shot of a Gray Jay eating GORP out of my hand on the way up Katahdin ....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/0/p1010082_original.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22451&c=675)