PDA

View Full Version : THRU-HIKE Pack Cover Question

2009ThruHiker
10-03-2007, 21:58
Trimming weight right now and I'm wondering....can I get by with a heavy duty trashbag as a pack cover or do i need an actual pack cover? A pack cover is all I've ever used, with a trash bag liner. Just curious if anyone has used a trashbag outer?

frieden
10-03-2007, 22:04
Most use a trash bag as a liner, and do not use a pack cover. Some make their poncho do double duty, which doesn't seem very effective. I've always used a trash bag liner, and a regular pack cover on the outside. It's a personal decision, and you have to find what works for you - especially when every fraction of an ounce counts!

rickb
10-03-2007, 22:07
A trash bag cover works just fine, IMO.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:08
Most use a trash bag as a liner, and do not use a pack cover.

and you know this how? you've thru-hiked a lot? i've never used a liner. always use a pack cover. most long distance hikers do.

frieden
10-03-2007, 22:10
and you know this how? you've thru-hiked a lot? i've never used a liner. always use a pack cover. most long distance hikers do.

By reading posts on WB.

Gosh, L. Wolf, I know you get offended by the slightest things, but this has to be a new record! :banana Congrats!

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:12
By reading posts on WB.

Gosh, L. Wolf, I know you get offended by the slightest things, but this has to be a new record! :banana Congrats!

offended? whatcha mean? at least you admit you really don't know much. keep readin' honey. :banana

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 22:19
My Granite Gear Cloud-something pack cover was next to useless; water even collected in the bottom of it and I had to punch a hole there to let it out. Water gets between your back and the pack even with a cover. A heavy duty contractor bag from a hardware store as a liner will keep your stuff dry. Because a wet pack is heavy, I also used a garbage bag as a cover and used the GG cover to hold it on. You could get a lot of heavy duty bags for the price of a pack cover.

Everything except for my sleeping pad is in waterproof bags inside my pack. Nothing has ever gotten wet between these bags and the liner.

However, there were some people who felt their pack cover kept their packs dry, and a couple of people swore by their "Packas".

rickb
10-03-2007, 22:19
Thru hiking is about the only thing you can do and become recognized as expert in less than 6 months.

Wish it were that way with more important stuff.

Spirit Walker
10-03-2007, 22:29
Trimming weight right now and I'm wondering....can I get by with a heavy duty trashbag as a pack cover or do i need an actual pack cover? A pack cover is all I've ever used, with a trash bag liner. Just curious if anyone has used a trashbag outer?

I tried a trashbag as a packcover- it didn't work for me. It got trashed too quickly. Tried no pack cover and everything inside my pack got soaked. Now i use a silnylon pack cover and a trashbag inside the pack. That works most of the time.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-03-2007, 22:31
offended? whatcha mean? at least you admit you really don't know much. keep readin' honey. :banana
wow what a dick

rickb
10-03-2007, 22:32
Just pithy.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:32
wow what a dick

yeah. really

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:35
Just pithy.

i got a militant PM from friden telling me to calm down my comments about mike vick being sponsered by hush puppies. said i would be deleted?:-?

rickb
10-03-2007, 22:37
I sometimes write with a lisp. :-?

rafe
10-03-2007, 22:45
I tried the trash-bag liner route. Didn't work for me. It was a pain in the a$$. Silnylon pack cover now, works fine.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:46
i got a militant PM from friden telling me to calm down my comments about mike vick being sponsered by hush puppies. said i would be deleted?:-?

where is that comment anyway?

Lone Wolf
10-03-2007, 22:47
I tried the trash-bag liner route. Didn't work for me. It was a pain in the a$$. Silnylon pack cover now, works fine.

might work for a weekend hike. that's all

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 22:52

What brand?

rafe
10-03-2007, 23:04
What brand?

By sheer coincidence, Granite Gear. Got it at Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, it's blaze orange. Yecch.

saimyoji
10-03-2007, 23:32
I use a Sea to Summit Cordura nylon cover that is light, durable, and packs into a little attached pouch. I use it only to keep the outer material of my pack from absorbing water, weighing it down. I use water-tight sacks (garbage bags, etc.) to compartmentalize my pack contents. The main reason for using the pack cover is to keep the material from getting heavy with water. I only put it on if I think it might rain.

Sure, some rain soaks down your back, but you do sweat don't you? :)
If its raining so hard you're gonna soak through everying, you shoulda had enough sense to pitch your shelter and get out of it.

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 23:50
Sure, some rain soaks down your back, but you do sweat don't you? :)
If its raining so hard you're gonna soak through everying, you shoulda had enough sense to pitch your shelter and get out of it.

LOL. You're right, but what about when it rains for four days straight?:sun

LostInSpace
10-04-2007, 00:04
Using a pack cover has always worked for me ... with external frame, internal frame, and frameless packs. I have switched to a syl-nylon cover. Sometimes I put the pack in the tent vestibule. The pack cover keeps the pack from lying directly in the mud. Other times I keep the pack wrapped in the pack cover and leave it outside in the rain. Anything needing more protection is kept in a stuff sack made of waterproof material, although the stuff is not totally waterproof like the roll-top ones. I have always carried a lightweight trashbag, although I have never used it as a pack liner. I carry it in case I might need it for something ... never have.

rickb
10-04-2007, 06:42
Regardless of what you use for a pack cover, I think its a good idea to always keep your sleeping bag stuff sack lined with a garbage bag.

The Old Fhart
10-04-2007, 06:54
I used a pack cover but also had my down sleeping bag inside a stuff sack and 2 plastic bags. The main compartment of my pack had an Ultrex liner I made. In 1998 I needed all that because it was so hot that I was sweating enough to soak the pack without any rain.

iliketacos
10-04-2007, 07:14
I did ok without a pack cover-I had a sea to summit stuff sack as a pack-liner which kept everything inside relatively dry. If your not worried about the contents on the outside of your pack getting wet then you can probably skip the pack cover if you have a solid pack-liner imho.

Johnny Thunder
10-04-2007, 09:45
I've been using a run-of-the-mill pack cover for a while. On occasion I've wondered if it would be possible to use my Tyvek as a cover. Make sure it's wide enough to cover the pack and then use shock cord to loop around the outside close to my back to keep it secure. Thoughts?

lvleph
10-04-2007, 09:51

Ray jardine, who has done a triple crown and the PCT a few times uses a trashbag liner. So obviously it will work for long distances.

SGT Rock
10-04-2007, 10:11
I ain't thru-hiked yet, but I have done a bit of hiking. I go both ways ;)

I have a trash compactor bag (same one for many trips so far) and cover my pack with a pack cover. I also put all my stuff in sil-nylon stuff sacks. I figure no sense in relying on one method when three are available, easy, and light.

rafe
10-04-2007, 10:24
Ray jardine, who has done a triple crown and the PCT a few times uses a trashbag liner. So obviously it will work for long distances.

Yes, and so does Don Ladigan in his ultralight-hiking book (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Wl5ZrGgAzQ&isbn=0762737344&itm=7). But it may require the use of "contractor grade" bags. I just used an ordinary cheapo grade trash bag from our pantry, and that was no good.

lvleph
10-04-2007, 10:24
I ain't thru-hiked yet, but I have done a bit of hiking. I go both ways ;)

I have a trash compactor bag (same one for many trips so far) and cover my pack with a pack cover. I also put all my stuff in sil-nylon stuff sacks. I figure no sense in relying on one method when three are available, easy, and light.
The is the military speaking through you. lol

lvleph
10-04-2007, 10:26
Yes, and so does Don Ladigan in his ultralight-hiking book (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Wl5ZrGgAzQ&isbn=0762737344&itm=7). But it may require the use of "contractor grade" bags. I just used an ordinary cheapo grade trash bag from our pantry, and that was no good.
I have always heard them say trash compactor bag, so I am assuming those are tougher.

SGT Rock
10-04-2007, 10:31
I have always heard them say trash compactor bag, so I am assuming those are tougher.
I compared them - they look about the same to me. Main difference being color and size. Trash compactor bags are smaller and white.

JoeHiker
10-04-2007, 10:47

In frieden's defense, your response does sound like you were annoyed or offended. I had the same impression from reading it. I understand now that is not the case and all that. Sometimes bluntness can be taken for something else

SGT Rock
10-04-2007, 10:53
Yes, but when you are blunt, you get a message across quickly without any misconception of what you mean. Sometimes it is called candor - I get it on my NCOERs all the time. I reckon it is why my Commander LOVES me. ;)

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 10:53
In frieden's defense, your response does sound like you were annoyed or offended. I had the same impression from reading it. I understand now that is not the case and all that. Sometimes bluntness can be taken for something else

i'll never have a job in PR or customer service

-MYST-
10-04-2007, 12:00

A trashbag outer is fine for an overnighter or emergencies but most will find a tougher material than a trashbag is best for an outer cover. I go with a sylnylon outer cover and wrap sleeping bag and spare cloths in yard and garden trashbags. Somethings have to stay dry no matter what.

faarside
10-04-2007, 12:20
By sheer coincidence, Granite Gear. Got it at Harpers Ferry. Unfortunately, it's blaze orange. Yecch.

Great for hiking during hunting season though!

Ditto on use of a pack cover. It's a "get what ya pay for" deal... trash bag over a pack just won't work - not durable enough. Not to mention, plastic does not allow air to flow through, causing moisture build-up inside and out. Trash bags inside the pack works for me.

earthbound
10-04-2007, 12:39
Outdoor Research is coming out with a pack cover that has a hood attached to it. It's really cool because it solves the rain down your back problem. Granted, I probably won't use it because I think that my granite gear pack cover is A-ok and I don't have a problem with the rain. (yet!)

saimyoji
10-04-2007, 12:46
Outdoor Research is coming out with a pack cover that has a hood attached to it. It's really cool because it solves the rain down your back problem. Granted, I probably won't use it because I think that my granite gear pack cover is A-ok and I don't have a problem with the rain. (yet!)

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39295905&memberId=12500226

The Weasel
10-04-2007, 12:46
I've almost never used a pack cover, except an orange one during hunting season. I've used a light coat of urethan spray over my packbag, combined with careful packing and use of ziplocs makes it unnecessary weight.

TW

Blissful
10-04-2007, 13:06
My hubby made me a sil nylon pack cover and it worked well. I also doubled up my clothes and sleeping bag in the Reynolds turkey size oven bags and that worked well also. I just had to make sure when I stopped in heavy rain to hang my pack, unfold the bottom of the pack cover and let any collected water drain out. But that rarely happened. (2007 was a stellar year weather-wise to hike, honestly)