PDA

View Full Version : ATC membership Fees?

peakbagger
10-04-2007, 13:20
This is a bit of a rant

Is anyone else a bit "confused" by the membership renewal form that ATC sends out. There are four option boxes to pick from $50, $75, $100 or other and they are referred to as a tax deductible contribution rather than a membership. Now when I go on the ATC website, an individual membership is $30.? Therefore the expectation appears to be that people who renew their membership get penalized an extra $20 for being a long term member? ( I expect some choice commentary from someone that a person who renews deserves it)

Now if they had an asterisk down below that indicated that a membership is $30, but they would like an additional contribution, that would be fair play, but to "forget" to mention that option, reeks of a marketing scam. Just another sign that a good organization is going the way of another major New England Outdoor group ( that happens to share a few initials.) I wonder when the incessant fund raising phone calls will start?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 13:26
i get a renewal notice once a week it seems. i let my membership lapse a long time ago after Journey's magazine had a front cover photo and full length article on horseback riding

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:29
That other nonshared initial wouldn't happen to be an M would it. Replacing the T?

emerald
10-04-2007, 13:36
Give us and ATC a break, would you? Pay whatever you want and spare us and them the abuse.

Supporting their efforts is a bargain at any price. Would there be a WhiteBlaze without ATC? If so, what would we go on and on about, post after post after post?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 13:37
Give us and ATC a break, would you? Pay whatever you want and spare us and them the abuse.

Supporting their efforts is a bargain at any price. Would there be a WhiteBlaze without ATC? If so, what would we go on and on about, post after post after post?

don't read posts

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:41
Would there be a WhiteBlaze without ATC?

I would think so.

weary
10-04-2007, 13:41
You can renew on line for $30. I suspect the confusion is that the membership rates are going up, because the organization is short of the funds needed to continue all that they need to do on behalf of the trail. And the website maintainer hasn't gotten the message.

The fundamental problem, of course, is only a tiny percentage of alleged trail lovers, have ever joined. And folks like Lone Wolf drop their membership because the organization -- like most human endeavors -- isn't perfect.

Weary

Lone Wolf
10-04-2007, 13:44
You can renew on line for $30. I suspect the confusion is that the membership rates are going up, because the organization is short of the funds needed to continue all that they need to do on behalf of the trail. And the website maintainer hasn't gotten the message.

The fundamental problem, of course, is only a tiny percentage of alleged trail lovers, have ever joined. And folks like Lone Wolf drop their membership because the organization -- like most human endeavors -- isn't perfect.

Weary

i give to local maintaining clubs and causes like your land trust.

emerald
10-04-2007, 13:47
Would there be a WhiteBlaze without ATC? If so, what would we go on and on about, post after post after post?

I would think so.

All right then, you rascal, answer question #2!;)

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 13:52
All right then, you rascal, answer question #2!;)

Whatever the topic du jour be until we get off our asses and back on the trail. God I can't wait for next Wednesday. So. Virginia to Springer, here I come.:) :)

emerald
10-04-2007, 14:03
Whatever the topic du jour be until we get off our asses and back on the trail. God I can't wait for next Wednesday. So. Virginia to Springer, here I come.:) :)

So just who do you figure is going to maintain this A.T. for all the lazy asses, your word, not mine?:rolleyes: ;)

Have a nice hike, okay?:D

weary
10-04-2007, 14:08
i give to local maintaining clubs and causes like your land trust.
And we greatly appreciate it. But ATC truly needs more hiking community support.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 14:28
So just who do you figure is going to maintain this A.T. for all the lazy asses, your word, not mine?:rolleyes: ;)

Have a nice hike, okay?:D

Local maintainers, as always and thanks to them all, I'll be doing mine in Maine in April and May.:)

emerald
10-04-2007, 15:05
Local maintainers, as always and thanks to them all, I'll be doing mine in Maine in April and May.:)

I believe I'm correct in saying A.T. maintaining clubs need the wisdom, guidance and funds only ATC in many cases can provide.

Tabasco
10-04-2007, 15:25
Is anyone else a bit "confused" by the membership renewal form that ATC sends out.

short answer, No, I am not. I send as much as I can a couple times a year.

max patch
10-04-2007, 16:06
I noticed the same thing a year or ago.

I give more than the minimum, but for someone on a tight budget or a recent college grad, it really is wrong for the ATC to do this. The basic membership fee required to get the magazine should be the same no matter how you pay it.

Hope Laurie P sees this thread.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 16:31
I believe I'm correct in saying A.T. maintaining clubs need the wisdom, guidance and funds only ATC in many cases can provide.

Hmm. . . 'not sure I agree with your police work there Lou.' If it was built by local groups how is it that mainenance can only be accomplished by the ATC.
-quote from Fargo in case you're wondering

emerald
10-04-2007, 16:33
Why don't you PM her the link rather than wish her to see it?

emerald
10-04-2007, 16:37
Click on the arrow if you want to see what prompted my reply.

Ask someone you believe more than me if you want to know how things really work. Last I looked, those clubs were ATC member organizations.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 17:03
Ask someone you believe more than me if you want to know how things really work. Last I looked, those clubs were ATC member organizations.

Shades, I'd be happy to read over any info that may show my thoughts are inacurate if you could point me in that direction.

emerald
10-04-2007, 17:24
Shades, I'd be happy to read over any info that may show my thoughts are inacurate if you could point me in that direction.

I have no intention of getting into a lengthy exchange with you on this subject since I've already posted more than a week's worth of posts today compared with what I might ordinarily post.

It was my impression you seemed to discount the importance of ATC's role over the years in providing one of the world's premier hiking opportunities. Perhaps I was mistaken. If so, I apologize.

max patch
10-04-2007, 17:31
Why don't you PM her the link rather than wish her to see it?

done........

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 17:41
Having an organization to coordinate the efforts of the local clubs and of the other trail-related organizations is sensible. Having it made up of "delegates" from those organizations might also be sensible.

emerald
10-04-2007, 18:07
done........

Good, I wouldn't want you to still be going on about it 2 pages from now.:)

Having an organization to coordinate the efforts of the local clubs and of the other trail-related organizations is sensible. Having it made up of "delegates" from those organizations might also be sensible.

I heard Dave Field was from away. I'm not sure where.:D

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 18:18
I have no intention of getting into a lengthy exchange with you on this subject since I've already posted more than a week's worth of posts today compared with what I might ordinarily post.

It was my impression you seemed to discount the importance of ATC's role over the years in providing one of the world's premier hiking opportunities. Perhaps I was mistaken. If so, I apologize.

I also may have talking beyond my knowledge of the subject and arguing a point that I really don't have a reason for. Your apology isn't necessary here but appreciated. My apology is necessary. Sorry.
Whew, that should be easier to do than it is.
I always dig your posts. Not sure why I went that route. Peace. I gotta get back on the trail. 6 more days.:) :) :)

emerald
10-04-2007, 18:25
----------

troglobil
10-08-2007, 15:42
I avoid the renewal notices. They sent me an option for a monthly credit card donation. They get $10 per month and I don't really notice the money going out. I forget what they call this type of membership, but several non profits use it as a way of being able to plan what moneys are coming in in the future.

Bil

Kirby
10-08-2007, 16:25
I avoid the renewal notices. They sent me an option for a monthly credit card donation. They get $10 per month and I don't really notice the money going out. I forget what they call this type of membership, but several non profits use it as a way of being able to plan what moneys are coming in in the future.

Bil

Most of the time they are called sustainers.

Kirby

Rowdy Yates
10-08-2007, 17:00
i get a renewal notice once a week it seems. i let my membership lapse a long time ago after Journey's magazine had a front cover photo and full length article on horseback riding
:D I too let my membership of many years drop because of the structural changes and the decline that I saw coming. My choice!!

troglobil
10-08-2007, 17:30
Most of the time they are called sustainers.

Kirby
yea, but ATC calls it something else. Can't find it on their website.

JDCool1
10-08-2007, 17:45
If you enjoy the trail, hope to see it go on forever ( that is exist for those who follow you), and don't want to see it in a really run-down condition or have any breakdown or be seriously eroded; then give the ATC a break and either send a contribution or volunteer to do trail maintenance or better yet, do both. Those of us who use it should take enough pride in it, to support it. The note on the renewal that indicates "Other" means just that. Put in your "other" that would be either $ 30. or $ 3,000,000. They will be glad to get whatever you would like to give them in appreciation for what they do for the Trail.

B Thrash
10-08-2007, 18:34
I renewed my membership a few months ago and have not received my membership card yet. Could have saved a few bucks at some of the hostels and other places if I had it. Like Lone Wolf I get a packet every week or two asking for donations.

shelterbuilder
10-08-2007, 18:46
I renewed my membership a few months ago and have not received my membership card yet. Could have saved a few bucks at some of the hostels and other places if I had it. Like Lone Wolf I get a packet every week or two asking for donations.

EVERYBODY gets those packets!:eek: Most of the ones that I get go right in the trash because I can't afford to give them any extra right now. But JDCool1 is right - volunteer to do some trail maintenence. ATC willingly accepts "sweat equity". Join a local maintaining club and help out right where you live. Or, sign up for any one of the regional crews that are sponsored by ATC. The MATC (Mid-Atlantic Trail Crew) was just up at Eckville last week, working on some turnpiking south of the Eckville shelter...kind of like the old Peace Corps slogan: "The toughest job you'll ever love".