PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Box

yogi clyde
11-13-2003, 14:52
I have read about people using a large plastic bucket for there box.
Any troubles mailing these via the USPS?

What did others use?

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2003, 15:17
I suppose you can use a plastic box, as long as it's wrapped and labeled correctly. Most folks just use a cardboard box that they then re-label, re-seal, and mail on ahead.

chris
11-17-2003, 09:59
I used a plastic paint bucket this summer on the PCT. No problems with the USPS; they never even blinked an eye at it. Strong, durable, protects your stuff, and volumous. The snap-tight lids don't require taping to close and you don't have to repair your box everytime you send it. Plus, you can use it to sit on in front on the PO and it is easy for the postal people to ID. The bucket costs about $3 and the lid another $2.

Grampie
11-17-2003, 10:34
Why even bother.
You don't need to go through all the trouble of going to the PO, getting the box, takeing stuff out, putting stuff in, and paying to forward it.
To me it's just another hassle you don't need when doing a thru. I soon discovered that if I wasn't carrying it every day, I didn't need it. Think about the stuff you would want to bounce, do you realy need it?
As my trail needs changed, warmer weather, going to lighter gear, I did send some stuff home and had other stuff sent to me.
Try to keep your hike simple. It makes it more enjoyable. I found it a problem, sometimes, to get to the PO when it was open. You kind of loose track of what day it is. I got to one PO and they were closed not realizing it was a holiday.
I think only about 25o/o of the hikers that finished used a bounce box.
Happy trails.
Grampie-N->2001

chris
11-17-2003, 10:59
Planning to carry all of the maps with you from the start? Or maybe the entire Companion? If you are not getting anything in the mail, then you are going to have a tough time getting the relevant sections of maps or data pages or companion pages when you need them, unless you carry them from the start. If you are getting mail drops from home already, then there is no need to complain about dealing with the PO. I like to take pictures and I can buy film in bulk at a rather large savings, so that goes into my bounce box. I also like to smoke when I'm out hiking and favor the bulk tobacco so I can roll my own. So, extra tobacco and papers go into the bounce box as well. Hard to get good tobacco right on the trail. Sure, I could buy some terrible Camels but, as Jack Tarlin can point out, there are places (like the state of New York) where this becomes expensive. Maybe you want to have a drink or two when you get to Fontana. But, the county is dry. Not a problem if you've put a flask of rum in your bounce box. Lots of potential for people who do not have a support person at home mailing them stuff. I picked up my bounce box 9 times over 2650 miles on the PCT this summer and had to race the PO on two occasions only. When I got the box, it was mostly a matter of taking out the relevant map and guidebook sections, adding to my tobacco pouch, getting some new film, and putting old sections and old film in. Pretty simple, really.

smokymtnsteve
11-17-2003, 11:16
chris ..keeping rolling papers dry and not sticking together in moist enviorments
is a challenge...what is your method????cause just a little moisture can ruin them..and decent rolling papers are hard to find on the trail.

chris
11-17-2003, 13:05
I haven't found a good solution to this problem when hiking in the South. I generally just keep the papers jammed in my pouch. Out West, no problems since the air is so dry. A pipe can work, but there is something about rolling that is just much more appealing to me.

smokymtnsteve
11-17-2003, 16:09
a double 2x3 ziplock and then inside a Nalgene jar works..but is cumbersome...I don't care for pipes either....on long hikes keep separate packs in separate zip locks...I keep two separate stashes of tp also...can't stand damp TP....

Peaks
11-17-2003, 17:33
I think that the decision depends upon your method of resupply. There is no reason to lug a complete set of maps for 6 months. If you depend on mail drops from home, then you can include some items like maps, sections of the Companion, film, etc. If you don't have the home support, then the bounce box makes sense.
Either way, postage gets expensive and adds up. So, I'd limit the amount of times I had to go to a PO.

MadAussieInLondon
11-17-2003, 19:00
aah rizzlers and rollies... not that i smoke.. but here its rizzlers everywhere... i decided a bounce box was too much hassle to deal with. (i have no maildrops or anything). but would have liked to top my we dram up occasionally.. and bounce a bottle of lagavulin along. (a drop in a cuppa tea is really nice.. or in with some rolled oats).