PDA

View Full Version : Web Map with Your Photos, Mail Drops, Water...

postholer.com
10-04-2007, 16:14
Add your own photos, mail drops, water locations, trail reports, WHATEVER to this fully interactive/zoomable Google map using map/topo/satellite views.

[/URL]Quick link to AT with trail shelters:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at&stMark=8 (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php)

View the AT web map:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php)

View a PCT example of Mail drops:
[URL]http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=pct&stMark=1

Early in September you were introduced to the 'Ultimate AT Web Map' with the promise of 'exciting new features' based on it. Well, this is the culmination of that effort. Additional 'Places' will be added as folks suggest them. If you have any issues please let me know. Today is the first wide release.

We'll be integrating this soon with Postholer Journals.

-postholer

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 20:54
Took too long to load and I had to stop a bad script. You need to test on different OSs and different browsers. But you won't be reading this comment most likely.

postholer.com
10-04-2007, 21:48
Took too long to load and I had to stop a bad script. You need to test on different OSs and different browsers. But you won't be reading this comment most likely.

Of course I'll read it. :rolleyes:

Such is the nature of Javascript apps. Unfortunately, I don't have every conceivable OS and browser combination at my disposal to test with. But the vast majority of users are covered, not everyone, the majority.

The most common reason it takes too long to load has to do with the way the browser draws, affecting the time it takes to load the script. If your running IE 6+ or Firefox 2+ on a windows based machine with a reasonable cpu, you'll do just fine. That is the majority.

The maps at postholer is a significant web app. There's nothing else like it on the web, for good reason.

-postholer

refreeman
10-05-2007, 01:01
Didn't work for me

Appalachian Tater
10-05-2007, 07:26
I only use Windows at work.

Mattlikesbikes
10-05-2007, 08:44
Awesome

I am running XP and Firefox and it works great.
Any plans to maybe export user selectable sections as a .gpx file ?

Shane! Come Back!
10-05-2007, 09:08
:banana Works great!

lvleph
10-05-2007, 09:14
XP Firefox and it works just fine. I dusted off IE 6 and it crashed.

lvleph
10-05-2007, 09:15
Wait it just came up. It said not responding and then I went back to it to kill it, but it was working.

lvleph
10-05-2007, 09:15
It would be nice if the scroll wheel on the mouse worked for zoom.

lvleph
10-05-2007, 09:16
I wish I could edit, damn it. Anyway, in IE 6 it is way to slow to do anything.

Ewker
10-05-2007, 09:40
The PCT map loads a lot quicker than the AT map.
I did it 3-4 times and had problems with the AT map not sure why

Midway Sam
10-05-2007, 09:42
I wish I could edit, damn it.

Become a donating member to Whiteblaze and you can.

Manach
10-05-2007, 10:21
Running IE7 and WinXP, and it works well. I haven't thoroughly explored it, but it seems like a fine idea. Thank you!

Skyline
10-05-2007, 10:28
IE7 works great. Loaded in seconds using satellite broadband (not as fast as DSL or cable).

However, I clicked on the AT map link and got the PCT map. Huh?

postholer.com
10-05-2007, 12:17
Thanks everyone for your input and letting me know your OS and browser.

Firefox or IE 7 are the desired browser because they draw so fast. As time progresses more folks will be adapting those 2 browsers. A faster CPU offsets the slow drawing of IE 6.

The entire developement has been done on DIAL-UP as I live in the sticks. So I've made every effort to keep it as fast as possible. Downloading the google map images is the slowest part for me.

This will continue to improve with new features.

Thanks again!

Phreak
10-05-2007, 20:18
Working fine for me. Thanks for the links.

chief
10-05-2007, 22:52
Yep works fine for me with Vista and IE7 and FF.

Smile
10-05-2007, 23:21
Worked great with OSX and Safari too :)
Thanks for posting postholer.

refreeman
10-06-2007, 12:41
Works for me with FireFox but not IE 7 XP.

Nice job, great potential. Is there a way to increase the size of the map, so you can see more area at one time?

postholer.com
10-07-2007, 20:08
Is there a way to increase the size of the map, so you can see more area at one time?

That is something that will make it more appealing. I've been dragging my feet on that because, the whole page fits so nicely together at the moment.

Making the map larger will push everything to the right, adding the evil horizontal scroll bar. :cool:

Some time next week I'll add something that gives the hiker a means to make the map larger. It's a good idea and it should be that way. :)

buckowens
10-07-2007, 22:37
Very nice!! A nice addition to the few maps that are out there that show trail details. Thanks for the efforts!

earthbound
10-08-2007, 00:38
I got to see the PCT mail drops and Plain AT maps, but when I went to load the AT shelter map it crashed and closed all of my windows in Internet Explorer. :( Maybe there is a way to make a smaller version for those whose computers crash? I don't know!