PDA

View Full Version : emergency blankets

earthbound
10-04-2007, 19:05
In my past section hikes on the AT, I noticed that quite a few people had emergency blankets. Is there a post somewhere that debates these or details the point of bringing one? Or talk about here...

FanaticFringer
10-04-2007, 20:39
www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=2318552

Midway Sam
10-04-2007, 20:49
I have always carried one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/407106

I use it as a ground cloth under my tent, as a "base layer" to protect my bag and Thermarest in shelters and often use it to sit on when I stop for lunch.

However, I now have in my possession a piece of Tyveck that I am going to try out as a replacement.

LIhikers
10-05-2007, 05:26
My wife and I each carry one. It's got a thousand uses from sit pad to dog blanket to rain tarp and is pretty durable.

Furlough
10-05-2007, 07:35
I carry one with me during any of my winter hikes (Dec-Mar) in and around SNF / BRP. I spread it out in the tent, pad on top of it. May be just a placebo but it does seem to help keep me a bit warmer.

Furlough

buckowens
10-05-2007, 23:07
I carry one every time I fly either a helicopter or plane. Way too many uses, and not very heavy as well when packing it on foot. Always have a bit of the magical and wonderous duct tape as well...

Smile
10-05-2007, 23:16
Wow, 12 ounces for that one from REI, that's pretty heavy. I was thinking more of one of those "silver" space blankets. They are usually one use though, and make lots of noise! :)

buckowens
10-05-2007, 23:18
Wow, 12 ounces for that one from REI, that's pretty heavy. I was thinking more of one of those "silver" space blankets. They are usually one use though, and make lots of noise! :)

I'll weigh mine from my survival kit and post it. It does not seem anywhere close to that heavy. I think mine is like you describe and not the one from REI.

Tennessee Viking
10-05-2007, 23:25
I usually carry one all the time, never know if you might get hurt or get strained on trail.

They usually work best if you have it skin close. A few survivorists say to strip to your undies and wrap the blanket tight. It keeps any body heat from escaping.

Wanderingson
10-06-2007, 01:10
Many of us may not comletely understand the four ways the body losses heat: RADIATION, CONDUCTION, CONVECTION and EVAPORATION.

Space blankets can certainly aid in the radiant heat loss category. I carry one always. Even in cooler temperatures, a simple space blanket can make the diference in hypotermia or playing a role in reducing shock related to a significant injury.

Several years ago, a survival instructor friend of mine turned me on to a really great book "Secrets of Warmth" bu Hal Weiss. This book helped me understand the basic concept behind radiant heat loss and cleared up this mystery for me.

You don't need to by the book to learn a little more about heat loss--just google it. Pretty cool stuff if you are unfamiliar with it.

Jimmers
10-06-2007, 01:29

The 12 ouncer is really more of a bivy sack than a space blanket, and pretty warm too. Condensation's less of a problem than with mylar blankets.(at least for me) Those one-use mylar blankets drive me nuts with all the noise they make.

fehchet
10-06-2007, 03:18
I'm feeling guilty -- I took my space blanket out of my kit for my next hike. Hummmmmmmm

CoyoteWhips
10-06-2007, 06:58
They make a space blanket with a thin poly coating on one side that greatly reduces the noise and makes it more durable for reuse. I keep one in my pack for the nights I've underestimated how much sleep insulation I'll need.

superman
10-06-2007, 07:23
I keep the one that can be used as a sleeping bag in the trunks of my vehicles. When I had a mecanical problem last winter it was a lot better laying on that than in the snow to fix the problem.

Bootstrap
10-06-2007, 09:37
I carry one too, using it as the footprint for my tent. I like the fact that one side is bright orange and the other is reflective - in a real emergency, it would make it easier to be visible.

Jonathan

JimM
10-06-2007, 10:51
I keep the one that can be used as a sleeping bag in the trunks of my vehicles. When I had a mecanical problem last winter it was a lot better laying on that than in the snow to fix the problem.
A large recycled tyvek envelope also works in a pinch.
Jim

Footslogger
10-06-2007, 11:02
I rolled up the 4 corners a little bit and then hammered small grommets onto the mylar. Tied some lightweight line to each corner and now I have a reflective sunshade. Not that big of an advantage on the AT but out here the sun is opressive at times and in some areas there is NO shade to be found. I pitch my space blanket like a small lean-to using trekking poles. Amazing how much cooler it is underneath it.

Other than that, I agree with the earlier poster who said that they are NOISY !! Plus, once you unfold the space blanket from it's compact little package it's darned near impossible to fold it back down.

'Slogger

Phreak
10-06-2007, 12:26
I carry one during the colder months.