PDA

View Full Version : Carry Appalachian Trail Guide? Wilderness First Aid Guide?

Bootstrap
10-04-2007, 19:10
On my previous trips, I wasn't the guy responsible for maps and such, but this time I am. I know I want a map and a compass. Should I carry the Appalachian Trail Guide for the section I'm on, or just the map? Given the format of the book, it would be fiddly to photocopy just the section I need ...

I've got Forgey's Wilderness First Aid, and the book isn't *that* big. I'm thinking I should carry that with me, just in case. Am I paranoid?

Jonathan

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 19:20
To have the map and the section of the guide is a good idea. You could print the sections out rather than tear your book up here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Don't forget about the really great WhiteBlaze database here on this site, I printed out the part I needed for 50-60 mile section of the A.T. this year and was quite pleased with it.

Probably it's not worth the weight to carry the first aid book if you know and some of the other guys know some basic first aid principles such as pressure and elevation to stop bleeding and to splint a fracture. Study it ahead of time. If you need to do CPR and don't know how, the book won't help much, and if someone falls a great distance you probably wouldn't stop to read the book to know not to move them if they might have a spinal injury, etc., and if it's a small problem like a cut you already know what to do.

I'm adding this:
Since you're going with a group and you likely already have weight savings from sharing some equipment, why not take it and study it out in the woods with your headlight as your bedtime reading? A book like that might be boring as heck at home but interesting out on the trail. Might as well take that instead of bad fiction.

Jim Adams
10-04-2007, 19:22
I wouldn't say paranoid, just a little unsure.

You have to carry your brain no matter where you hike so why not take a first aid course and just carry the trail guide.

geek

Jim Adams
10-04-2007, 19:31
[quote=Appalachian Tater;419838]
If (http://If) you need to do CPR and don't know how, the book won't help much, and if someone falls a great distance you probably wouldn't stop to read the book to know not to move them if they might have a spinal injury, etc., and if it's a small problem like a cut you already know what to do.

Tater,
sometimes I get a little too carefree about first aid because I've been a paramedic for 32 years and simply don't worry about it on the trail but your statement is soooo true. I've stated it for years...you either need a bandaid or an ambulance, there is rarely any middle ground there.
Take a first aid course. Plain and simple, it will benefit everyone including your family.:cool:

geek

earthbound
10-04-2007, 19:36
I would take a CPR and Wilderness First Aid course or regular First Aid course if short on money. The Red Cross frequently offers CPR and FA courses for free all over the country, WFA usually costs some money. Personally, I like having some medical training because it gives a sense of security but not a false one and if you are responsible for other on outdoor trips it is good stuff to know. You will also know what you are not qualified to handle. The classes are also fun I think! Especially the ones geared for the outdoors. SOLO's WFA class is pretty good- it will tell you the basics. I'm sure the book does the same. You don't want to be in the situation where you have some broken dude and you're trying to save them by figuring out what you need to read in order to do so. Things where you may not have that luxury- such as allergic reactions or broken femurs :eek: or major bleeds or big falls are the best things to know in advance. You are unlikely to need such knowledge, but the minor stuff you could always look up in a book without worrying so much about time.

Appalachian Tater
10-04-2007, 19:37
.you either need a bandaid or an ambulance, there is rarely any middle ground there.
Take a first aid course. Plain and simple, it will benefit everyone including your family.:cool:

geekYeah, it's like you get stung by a bee. Do you need first aid? No, it hurts like heck, you pull the stinger out, and it keeps hurting until it stops. Or else you go into anaphylaxis and then you either have an epi pen and you're okay or you don't and you're dead. Nowhere in that situation does any knowledge of first aid help at all. If somebody's choking and you don't know how to help, having a book won't help, you have to already know what to do. So a first aid book isn't really a how-to manual, it's a textbook, and maybe a reference when needed, if you have already studied.

warraghiyagey
10-04-2007, 19:55
On my previous trips, I wasn't the guy responsible for maps and such, but this time I am. I know I want a map and a compass. Should I carry the Appalachian Trail Guide for the section I'm on, or just the map? Given the format of the book, it would be fiddly to photocopy just the section I need ...

I've got Forgey's Wilderness First Aid, and the book isn't *that* big. I'm thinking I should carry that with me, just in case. Am I paranoid?

Jonathan

Why not copy the map and put it inside the trail guide of your choice?
And yes you may be a smidge paranoid, unless you're responsible for others.:)

Blissful
10-04-2007, 20:07
I would read the first aid book as much as possible before your trip and become aware of what to do in emergency situations. You should know beforehand how to treat wounds, sprains, strains, sunstroke, heat exhaustion, and hypothermia, to name a few. Not sure if you are doing a thru - but knowledge of rattlesnakes before PA wouldn't be a bad idea either. And how to treat ticks and know the symptoms of Lyme disease. I agree with tater that in an emergency, you won't have time to read the book then. But quick thinking and knowledge of symptoms ahead of time can save a life (like hypothermia). I've been there.