PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for Feb NOBO

tucker0104
10-05-2007, 03:59
This is the clothing items that I was pndering taking for my NOBO hike. Let me know what you think I might need to add or leave at home

A waterproof jacket with a removable fleece liner
Poncho
A good beanie
Baseball hat
2 Short Sleeved T-shirt and 1 long sleeved T-shirt
1 pair of pants
1 pair of shorts
3 pairs of socks
3 pairs of underwear
1 Pair of long johns
1 pair of gloves
1 pair of shoes
1 pair of keane sandals

Appalachian Tater
10-05-2007, 07:31
You probably don't need three shirts, or any short-sleeved shirts in February. You can only wear one pair of underwear so why take four?

Keanes are heavy for camp shoes. Why don't you consider some 99 cent flip flops if your hiking shoes aren't comfortable enough for the evenings?

lvleph
10-05-2007, 07:39
I would look into getting convertible pants, that way you only need one pair versus a pair of shorts and a pair of pants. Also, I am not sure why you need a waterproof jacket and a poncho. Why not just use the waterproof jacket?

lvleph
10-05-2007, 07:40
Oh, and I would just use a short sleeved shirt and leave the long sleeve. You can put your long johns on under your shirt.

earthbound
10-05-2007, 12:17
You don't need two of anything (except socks). Think of it as a total layer system- if you are cold in tshirt and shorts, you can put on longsleeve top under or over the tshirt and the long johns under the shorts. you don't need pants and long johns or a long john shirt and a long sleeve shirt IMHO. Some people bring regular pants, but I don't. If you are too cold still, put on the coat. That said, make sure that your layers are really warm. It is damn cold in the south and when I was in north carolina in mid march with the above layers I was fine through the day but not during the night- make sure you have a proper temp sleeping bag. I had a 20 with a liner and wore all layers including my coat, but was still way too cold many nights.

tucker0104
10-06-2007, 19:38
Thanks for the advice.

Blissful
10-08-2007, 13:06
I'd make sure you have clothes specifically for hiking and something dry to change into at camp. You will still sweat on hikes and that salt and dampness makes you really cold at camp.

You might still need a t-shirt for March though (not sure when your feb start is). You never know (we hit 70's mid March and we were in shorts and t-shirts, even in the Smokies). I'd definitely have one t-shirt in the clothing bag. Agree with convertible pants.

Just a Hiker
10-08-2007, 13:24
Hey there, you have gotten some good advice thus far; but here is my two cents worth. The weather in Georgia and North Carolina seems to differ from year to year during Feb, so it's always a crap-shoot, but here are a few tips. Maybe bring a bivy sack to add a few degrees to your sleeping bag because a few of the Georgia lean-to's face into the wind; Blue Mountain seems to come to memory especially. Maybe a pair of of those cheap strap-on yaktraks things for the "icebergs" on the trail in the Smoky's.....I wish I had a pair of those last year. Also, be prepared to spend more time in town than you might want because of either snow, cold or even lonliness; so maybe bring a few extra dollars just in case. Take care and have fun!!

Just Jim

rafe
10-08-2007, 13:33
Just be sure that the clothing you do take is wool or synthetic and NOT cotton. Also: IMO, it's good to have one stash of clothing reserved for camp, and kept dry at all costs. That's your fallback after a day of hiking in crap weather.

ChinMusic
10-08-2007, 15:31
terrapin - What is the min amount of clothing you include in your "fallback"?

I always just consider it a pair of light shorts and a tee. If I'm having a bad day and it's cold, I'll just dry off and hit the bag.

rafe
10-08-2007, 15:51
terrapin - What is the min amount of clothing you include in your "fallback"?

I always just consider it a pair of light shorts and a tee. If I'm having a bad day and it's cold, I'll just dry off and hit the bag.

Fair question. The answer is, it depends on expected conditions and personal preference. Example -- I carried both a silk and a polypro base layer and made sure one or the other was "in reserve." I had two light shirts with me; one was for hiking, the other was "reserve." My nylon shorts don't provide much warmth in any case, so there was no "reserve" for those. (I rely on the base layer for warmth.)

Stormennorm
10-08-2007, 15:58
Tucker when u starting in Feb if all goes as plained looking like 2 of us will be starting on the first. Im an avid winter hiker and I like to keep a dry set of cloths at all time's. I dont bring long johns i hike with sip offs and a light long sleave shirt and light wool socks As long as i am moving i stay warm. I have a montbell alpin light to put on when stopping. Camp cloths are about the same just warmer socks just keep it all dry. let me know when your starting would like to see more people then.

Frosty
10-09-2007, 01:00
This is the clothing items that I was pndering taking for my NOBO hike. Let me know what you think I might need to add or leave at home

A waterproof jacket with a removable fleece liner
Poncho
A good beanie
Baseball hat
2 Short Sleeved T-shirt and 1 long sleeved T-shirt
1 pair of pants
1 pair of shorts
3 pairs of socks
3 pairs of underwear
1 Pair of long johns
1 pair of gloves
1 pair of shoes
1 pair of keane sandalsI wold bring two pairs of gloves. A thin pair and a heavy pair. The heavy pair should be good enough to keep your hands warm with temps in the teens, and the thin pair slexible enough to do camp chores like cooking and eating.

Keep a pair of underwear and a pair of socks in a ZipLoc and use only at night in your bag. Put those other wet socks back on in the morning to hike in. It's good to have dry underwear at night. Also consider the long sleeve shrt as a camp shirt. CHange out out long johns (if you hike in them) and put something dry on in camp, as someone already mentioned.

Hiking in temps that go above and below freezing are all about keeping as dry as possible at night and in camp.

Frosty
10-09-2007, 01:03
Fair question. The answer is, it depends on expected conditions and personal preference. Example -- I carried both a silk and a polypro base layer and made sure one or the other was "in reserve." I had two light shirts with me; one was for hiking, the other was "reserve." My nylon shorts don't provide much warmth in any case, so there was no "reserve" for those. (I rely on the base layer for warmth.)This is about my philosophy, also. In colder weather, I have a pair of long silk underwear (about 10 ounces from Campmor) and a pair of silk gloves to sleep in. I don't like fleece shirts as they are too bulky to pack, but do like a ppoly longsleeve shirt to change into in camp when I don't hit the sleeping bag right after eating.

rafe
10-09-2007, 01:08
Socks are another category of clothing for which I always try to have a "reserve."

Blissful
10-09-2007, 10:04
Just be sure that the clothing you do take is wool or synthetic and NOT cotton. Also: IMO, it's good to have one stash of clothing reserved for camp, and kept dry at all costs. That's your fallback after a day of hiking in crap weather.

Yes, yes yes!!!
Excellent points

garraty
10-19-2007, 21:57
some more suggestions -
shorts with builtin synthetic underwear are lighter, easier to clean, and avoid the problems of cotton
mittens are a lot warmer than gloves
a fleece balaclava can add a lot of warmth with little weight

bigcranky
10-20-2007, 10:29
It appears that the fleece liner is your only insulating garment. I'd be concerned that you won't be warm enough around camp -- it can be very cold into April in the Southern mountains. I'd add a down vest at the very least, and something warm for my legs.

Why take both a waterproof jacket and a poncho? Just asking....

In February I would carry two hats and two pairs of gloves -- a light set to hike in, and a heavier set for camp. I would carry rain pants along with either a rain shell or a poncho.

The other advice here is spot-on.