PDA

View Full Version : Good light weight jacket and shoes or boots

Dworak
11-13-2003, 16:20
What are some good light weight water proof jackets out there that won't cost me too much?

Also do you know of any good light weight trail running shoes or light weight boots as well? I would like them to be water proof as well but not required. Thanks

ganj
11-13-2003, 16:51
Are you doing a thru-hike? Best advice I can give you is to forget looking for waterproof shoes. It will not happen, your feet will get wet. Better to look for shoes/boots that dry out quickly. Leave the gortex shoes at home. A couple of companies to look at would be Merrell, Chaco, Five-Ten, and running shoe companies (ie NB, Brooks, Asics).

Marmot makes a decent jacket called the Precip, but wouldn't wear it unless I was sitting down somewhere or in town. I would check ebay or try to find it used somewhere. $100 is steep considering how little you may use it (particularly summer).

Kerosene
11-13-2003, 17:01
If you're looking for raingear, I'd recommend the Frogg Toggs jacket. It's cheap ($60 here (http://www.qwks.com/frogg_toggs/)), lightweight (9-10 oz for the jacket alone), waterproof, and highly breathable. On the downside, it's not as durable as some other fabrics (you'll probably have to duct tape it at some point in your thru-hike) and the hood doesn't fit as well as other rain jackets.

Wilson76
11-13-2003, 17:19
As for the jacket Froo Toggs was a good suggestion but durability is an issue. This year some people had them seriously duct tapeded by Hot Springs. I used the Red Ledge Thunderlight (I think). Not great, but not bad. I think it was $50 on campmor. Getting a used Precip is another cheap option. It seems like no matter what jacket you get, it won't brereathable enough but at least these options are decent and cheap.

Shoes - I would also suggest no Gore-Tex. New Balance are popular. If you go with Trail Runners try to keep your pack weight down. Have a good hike.

Peaks
11-13-2003, 17:39
Like Wilson posted:

Raingear: Marmot Precip and Red Ledge are popular and light. Frogg Toggs are also a good choice because they are cheaper, but durability is an issue. My solution is a PreCip jacket, and the only long pants I bring along now are the Frogg Togg pants because I don't wear long pants often. So, no converable pants or other long pants in my pack. Only a extra pair of shorts.

Footwear, if it's trail runners you want, then check out New Balance 806's or what ever the latest number is in the 800 series.

cabalot
11-14-2003, 01:42
As for the jacket Froo Toggs was a good suggestion but durability is an issue. This year some people had them seriously duct tapeded by Hot Springs. I used the Red Ledge Thunderlight (I think). Not great, but not bad. I think it was $50 on campmor. Getting a used Precip is another cheap option. It seems like no matter what jacket you get, it won't brereathable enough but at least these options are decent and cheap.

Shoes - I would also suggest no Gore-Tex. New Balance are popular. If you go with Trail Runners try to keep your pack weight down. Have a good hike.

how would you rate that REI store in your town?

Blue Jay
11-14-2003, 08:45
What are some good light weight water proof jackets out there that won't cost me too much?

Also do you know of any good light weight trail running shoes or light weight boots as well? I would like them to be water proof as well but not required. Thanks

I like Goretex Trail Running shoes. I use both them and nonGortex and they dry in almost the same amount of time, unless you go to something like a Merrill Ventilator. Do not however mix Goretex and leather, they won't dry for a week.
I like the Precip over Frogg Tog because one fall and the Frog is done. My Precip is tough (although no I've jinxed myself).

chris
11-17-2003, 10:26
I've put a lot of miles on various trail runners. See my "Four Trail Shoe Review" in the gear reviews section. I've currently got about 150 miles on a pair of Brooks Trail Runners and will write up a review sometime in the spring. So far, they're the best I've used. To get shoes at a discount, see www.sierratradingpost.com or www.rei-outlet.com. Many times www.roadrunnersports.com has sales as well.

Frogg Toggs is pretty standard and works well: At least as breathable and waterproof as GoreTex XCR and a lot cheaper and lighter. Durability isn't too bad, although if you have to bushwhack around blow downs in the early season take care. My anorak fits terribly and lasted two seasons of use, including 450 miles on the AT and 2650 miles on the PCT, along with lots of weekend hikes in the Smokys. I retired it this year and am now using a Rainshield jacket. Way too bulky and big, but still light. Made out of material similar to the Frogg Toggs.