PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking Info. Needed

spanish
10-05-2007, 10:41
Would like to start section hiking the At, One hang up is transportation. Getting to the trail is not a problem but Say I was to start at Springer Mtn. need to find a way back to car after section is completed. Or if I was to park car where I plan to finish section, need to find transportation back to Springer. I'm sure this is a small logistical problem that many people have encountered, just looking for suggestions on how hikers in the past have dealt with this situation. Thanks for any help you may have.

Spanish

rafe
10-05-2007, 10:50
Bike-hikes. Like this:

1. Drive to starting trailhead ('A') with bike and pack in car.
2. Hide pack in the woods near 'A'.
3. Continue by car to ending trailhead ('B') and park
4. Ride bicycle back to 'A'
5. Lock bike to a tree in the woods near 'A'
6. Hike back to 'B'.
7. At end of hike, remember to pick up bike at 'A' !!!

I've done numerous AT sections in this manner. In fact, I'll have that same bike with me in Gettysburg this weekend.

lvleph
10-05-2007, 10:54
I have been reading a Walk in the Woods, and the author described someone who would leave their bike at the end of the section, drive to the beginning, and then when they reached the end they would ride their bike to the car. Seems like a great idea to me, but I love to ride my bike.

peanuts
10-05-2007, 11:11
spanish, call a shuttle!

Alligator
10-05-2007, 11:19
The ATC keeps a shuttle list here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATshuttleWEB_Sept%20%2010_2007.pdf).

Another creative option is to use a moped instead of a bike.

When I use a bike, I usually ride first, then hike.

You could hitch in some cases. I prefer to get the hitch out of the way first.

Sometimes mass transit can be used. (That reminds me, I was working on a list for this:o .)

WB has a Trailheads and Shuttle Forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29).

spanish
10-05-2007, 11:29
Thank you all for taking the time out to give me some good ideas. I knew it was not a mojor problem, but a bike was one I had not thought of. Thanks again!

Spanish

Midway Sam
10-05-2007, 12:42
Possibly a bit much, but none the less effective...

I spent a night at Woods Hole Shelter last year with a fella who is section hiking the AT in fairly large chunks so gettng a shuttle can be tough. He drives a large pickup and tows a small compact car with the truck. He drops the car off at his endpoint and then drives to the starting point and parks his truck. When he arrives at his car, he drives it back to his truck, hooks up the rig, and drives home.

twilight
10-05-2007, 17:52
Usually, when I plan out a section hike I park my car at the end of my hike and make arrangements with a shuttle provider from the list that Alligator provided the link for in his post. Of lately though, since I've been doing alot of my section hiking down south, I've made arrangements with one of the local hostels(along the trail section I'm in) to leave my car there and caught a shuttle with them. Examples of such are, The Hike Inn-Fontana Dam area, Uncle Johnny's-Erwin, TN, Greasey Gap Freindly, TN/NC, Kincora Hostel, TN/NC, Mt. Rogers Outfitters, Damascus, VA.

Hope this helps

Twilight:sun

shelterbuilder
10-05-2007, 19:15
Bike-hikes. Like this:
1. Drive to starting trailhead ('A') with bike and pack in car.
2. Hide pack in the woods near 'A'.
3. Continue by car to ending trailhead ('B') and park
4. Ride bicycle back to 'A'
5. Lock bike to a tree in the woods near 'A'
6. Hike back to 'B'.
7. At end of hike, remember to pick up bike at 'A' !!!
I've done numerous AT sections in this manner. In fact, I'll have that same bike with me in Gettysburg this weekend.

If you decide to use this option, remember to give yourself a little extra bike-time, just in case the terrain is rougher than you anticipated.

I had to use this idea years ago in Mass., when my hiking partner bailed out on our hike at the last minute (literally, minutes before we were set to leave) and took her car with her!!!:eek: Using the bike enabled me to finish all of Mass. in one trip - although I had to add an extra day for the biking and last minute parking arrangements.

Phreak
10-05-2007, 20:16
Would like to start section hiking the At, One hang up is transportation. Getting to the trail is not a problem but Say I was to start at Springer Mtn. need to find a way back to car after section is completed. Or if I was to park car where I plan to finish section, need to find transportation back to Springer. I'm sure this is a small logistical problem that many people have encountered, just looking for suggestions on how hikers in the past have dealt with this situation. Thanks for any help you may have.

Spanish

I can help you out anywhere between Damascus and Springer.

bigmac_in
10-05-2007, 21:04
There are plenty of shuttle options on the south end of the trail. You can't beat the Hiker Hostel.

www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com)

spanish
10-05-2007, 21:10
Thanks Phreak, I just might look you up. Thats exactly where I'm lookin for some transportation assistance. Thanks

Rambler
10-08-2007, 18:35
Ditto Hiker Hostel. Owners Josh or Leigh will pick you up at Amtrak in Gainsville or the Atlanta airport. There are several road crossings for good day hikes heading north from Springer where a shuttle will pick you up at the end of the day. You can be shuttled to within a mile of the Springer summit. They will slack-pack you through GA! If you drive there, there are several hikes along the AT where they will help you drop off your car at one end and shuttle you to the other where you can begin your hike.The Hiker Hostel itself is a wonderful place to stay. They serve a big breakfast and will drive you to town for dinner.

Lilred
10-08-2007, 18:48
Fortunately I have a wonderful hubbie that has been willing to drive me to, and pick me up from the trail. Unfortunately, I'm now in middle VA and after my next section, I may just be too far from home for that to be feasible anymore. It looks like the shuttle routine is in my future.

shelterbuilder
10-08-2007, 18:51
Fortunately I have a wonderful hubbie that has been willing to drive me to, and pick me up from the trail. Unfortunately, I'm now in middle VA and after my next section, I may just be too far from home for that to be feasible anymore. It looks like the shuttle routine is in my future.

I just KNOW that I may regret saying this publicly, but when you get up into Pa., give me a shout. If I can work it into my schedule, I'll try to help out.:sun

Survivor Dave
10-08-2007, 18:51
Hey Spanish,

Ditto to Phreak. I live an hour and a half or so from Springer at FS 42. If you wish, I can help you out as well. PM me and we'll see what we can work out. I hike up ther a lot!

Hike On!

Survivor Dave

Doctari
10-08-2007, 19:23
OR:

find a "hiking partner":

Option #1: both drive to one trailhead seperatly, park car A at end point. both in car B, drive to start, hike back to car A, drive back to get car B.

Option #2: Drive to "a meeting point" swap cars, each drive to a different trailhead, hike towards your own car, swapping back keys mid trail.

FWIW: I'm doing a 200 - 300 mile section in 08, Hughes Gap to somewhere north.

I usually use a shuttle, great people in my experience.

Doctari.

Lilred
10-08-2007, 22:52
I just KNOW that I may regret saying this publicly, but when you get up into Pa., give me a shout. If I can work it into my schedule, I'll try to help out.:sun

Thanks, I appreciate that :D

Tennessee Viking
10-08-2007, 23:02
If you ever want to section the AT in Tennessee. I can help with shuttling. I help the Kincora Hostel every once in a while and whenever I run into another hiker on trail.