PDA

View Full Version : Sam Knob/Black Balsam Area

Chris_Asheville
10-05-2007, 12:15
Hey Y'all - We're camping near the Sam Knob parking area off the BRP and taking some awesome dayhikes around the area on Sat./Sunday.
Has anyone camped under the pine thicket near the parking area? Are there any good places to gather wood? There are not a ton of trees in the area.

Any comments/suggestions on that area would be awesome. How does the weather compare to that of Asheville in the evenings?

Thanks!

The Solemates
10-05-2007, 15:46
Hey Y'all - We're camping near the Sam Knob parking area off the BRP and taking some awesome dayhikes around the area on Sat./Sunday.
Has anyone camped under the pine thicket near the parking area? Are there any good places to gather wood? There are not a ton of trees in the area.

Any comments/suggestions on that area would be awesome. How does the weather compare to that of Asheville in the evenings?

Thanks!

hike towards sams knob, take the left-hand trail on the way (not sure the name of the trail off the top of my head). awesome campsite down there right on a creek. its less than 0.5 miles from the parking lot.

Chris_Asheville
10-05-2007, 15:55
Yeah, I've hiked down there and have seen the ones next to the creek. They are pretty cool. We may try to make it down there.
Thanks!

ncmtns
10-08-2007, 17:32
Went to Sining Rock this last Thursday. Crowded, dirty, a full size foam mattress left at a campsite near the Rock, .. I was pretty disillusioned ---someone starts a new campfire spot just feet away from the original,, and right on a good tent site. I love SR but the inconsiderate are beginning to ruin it all. At least I have a secret spot with water and views no one will ever know about!

ncmtns
10-08-2007, 17:33
rofl... 'sinning rock'.. thats about right.. I meant Shining Rock