PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in Erwin, Tennessee

Miss Janet
11-13-2003, 20:19
Every year it seems that Thanksgiving gets less and less attention. There used to Halloween…(pause)… Thanksgiving… (pause)…then Christmas.

This year there were Christmas carols playing in stores before the leftover Halloween candy went on sale! We try to make it a little more important at our house.

This year has been both wonderful and trying at times. But I have so much to be thankful for. My terrific, beautiful, healthy daughters, a home that is alive with the spirit and laughter of great people, awesome friends and the magic of this big warm trail family.
I am also thankful for all of the Trail Magic. Trail Magic is more than just a cold soda on a hot day in May or room made in a crowed shelter on a cold rainy night. Trail Magic happens off the trail as well. For me, Trail Magic is the hiker that starts the coffee because I hit the snooze button (five times!) or the group hiking together that cooks a great breakfast when I have the “Erwin Flu”. It is the young man that spent college summers as a plumber’s helper that comes to my house the same day we develop a huge water leak in our 100 year old pipes or the kid that is a whiz with old engines, when the van has over 200,000 miles! Trail Magic is the hikers that take time from their hike or their busy lives to support, call, email, write letters and send their prayers when they hear there is some problem in my life. It is the hiker that in appreciation, gives me one of his many Thruhiker certificates and 2,000 miler rocker arms so I can be an Honorary 2000 Miler! It is the smiles and the hugs and the many heartfelt “Thank You” through out the year! Trail Magic to me is all of this and much more than I could ever express. Thank You!!

Our Thanksgiving Celebration here at Miss Janet’s House this year will be on Thanksgiving Day. We will be cooking the evening before and all morning on Thanksgiving. There will be all the usual holiday fare and maybe a few surprises. Dinner will be 2:00ish and anyone that wants to join us is invited. I would love to have a houseful!! Just let me know so we know how many birds to roast! If you have a culinary masterpiece you want to contribute we will add it to the menu.

For several years I have tried to include as many of the Southbound Thruhikers as we can. If you know any SOBO’s on the trail this year that are expected to be anywhere near Erwin, Tennessee, please let them know they are invited to Thanksgiving dinner with my family and friends. If they need a ride from somewhere on the trail, we will pick them up and take them back. It is easy to get the word out about events during the Northbound season but a lot harder to let the SOBO’s know, so your help will be appreciated.

HAPPY THANKGIVING!!!
From Miss Janet and the girls!
(423)743-1932
[email protected]

A-Train
11-13-2003, 20:44
You have a huge heart Miss J! I'm almost tempted to leave my family at home for the Trail family.

I will however let Heald know. He's headed your way slowly but surely. And Annie might like to come too!

chomp
11-14-2003, 00:57
The only thing that keeps me away from Erwin on Thanksgiving is the fantastic family tradition that I have right here at home. I have always looked at Thanksgiving at the "big" holiday of the year. No gifts, no stress, just family, friends, spirts, food and of course, FOOTBALL! Have a great Thanksgiving, Ms Janet!

-chomp

Blue Jay
11-14-2003, 08:38
Miss Janet, your post choked me up, and that does not happen very often. I bet there are a thousand people, who when they are feeling bad only have to think about you to feel better. I've never even met you and it works for me.

trainwreck
11-14-2003, 11:48
Miss Janet, just reading that makes me want to southbound so I can hike in for Thanksgiving...

Take care & happy holidays,
trainwreck

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2003, 16:15
Miss Janet----

Boy, am I sorry Erwin is so far away. I hope you have the best Thansgiving ever!

For any of my friends on Whiteblaze who are also fairly removed from Tennessee, there will be all sorts of folks, from Billville and elsewhere, who'll be at my place in Hanover all day Friday and Saturday immediately after Thanksgiving. Anyone nearby who either is well-removed from family or friends, doesn't have enough time to travel all the way home to see their folks, or simply doesn't WANT to see their folks is more than welcome to drop by and join us---such notable Trail angels as Bag O Trix, Walkin Home, Jester, Chomp, Blister Sister and others will be in attendance. Anyone wanting more info on this can reach me here at Whiteblaze or at [email protected]

Oh. And in case anyone is wondering, this is definitely a NON-commercial enterprise! Well, we may charge Trix something, just for the onerous burden of having to put up with him for 48 hours, but otherwise, the weekend's on us.

Then again, I may just say the hell with it, turn my place over to whoever shows up, and just hightail it to Miss Janet's for the weekend! She's a better cook than I am, for one thing; plus gatherings at her place generally attract a better class of folks!

MDSHiker
11-14-2003, 17:56
Hi Miss Janet!

That sure is a tempting offer!!

Take care and enjoy the holidays!

Blister
11-18-2003, 11:27
I too would be so tempted to make the trip down south for some wonderful Miss Janet hospitality - you'd have a hard time keeping me out of the kitchen though. Hope the holiday goes well, as Jack has mentioned we will be having Trashigiving in Hanover, also my new home within a week or so. Yes people I am moving out of Vermont and into Hanover, NH. Hope to see some Northern folk stop by for the festivities.

hacksaw
11-19-2003, 11:13
Janet, you are one incredible person. I could not keep the tear from my cheek as I read your invite/thankful list. Don't know as I'd want to. I won't be ther in body but my thoughts will be with you and yours. Thank you for all you do and all you've come to mean to the trail community. Best wishes for the holiday season and the year to come.

Hacksaw

Ox97GaMe
11-19-2003, 22:09
Hello Miss Janet. Sounds like a wonderful time wll be had at the friendliest home in Erwin. I am sorry that I will miss it this year. Is this going to be an annual event? Keepl me posted on the number of hikers SOBO so that I can start to look for them here in GA and NC. Keep the magic flowing. :)

Ox

A-Train
11-20-2003, 10:09
Hey man!
Just wanted to say THANK YOU. You are a true trail angel. From advice at hawk mt shelter to giving hikers free dinners at Daniels Steakhouse to oranges and cokes at Yellow Mt Road I can't thank you enough from all the hikers! You really hooked up my starting group down south. I know everyone was incredibly appreciative. I heard you even threw a bbq for Grunt, Flick and Squirts up in Maine?! I fell behind due to a wedding.

I only hope I can repay some of the magic that folks like you have given to hikers. I'm gonna spend a week in march doing so. Have an address or something? Got a good summit shot :)
A-Train

Pirate
11-21-2003, 13:25
I am planning on going to Uncle Moneys place for Turkey Spam at $1,000.00 a plate!