PDA

View Full Version : no more 2009 thru

tripp
10-05-2007, 17:27
Well in the past 2 days my hopes to thru in 2009 have disappeared. Yesterday I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and went to surgery this morning to have one of my boys removed. Once the bills start coming in I just won't be able to do it from a financial standpoint. So all of those whom I would've met: sorry I didn't get the chance to. Now I gotta figure out the next opportunity to do a thru....

wrongway_08
10-05-2007, 17:47
Dang, sorry to hear this. Hope you have a fast recovery.

Phreak
10-05-2007, 17:52
I wish you a speedy recovery!

thestin
10-05-2007, 17:55
Tripp, prayers for a speedy recovery!

Frosty
10-05-2007, 18:15
went to surgery this morning to have one of my boys removed.....Am I the only guy who winced and brought his knees together when I read this?

Good luck with recovery and future hike plans.

Skidsteer
10-05-2007, 19:05
Am I the only guy who winced and brought his knees together when I read this?

No.

Best wishes Tripp.

tripp
10-05-2007, 19:35
I certainly winced and brought my knees together when I heard what they wanted to do... Thanks for all well wishes. Im hoping to hike again next month but i can't lift anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks so we'll see. Can;t afford to go that ultralight yet...

shelterbuilder
10-05-2007, 19:57
I certainly winced and brought my knees together when I heard what they wanted to do... Thanks for all well wishes. Im hoping to hike again next month but i can't lift anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks so we'll see. Can;t afford to go that ultralight yet...

Having gone through a different type of cancer surgery in May, I'll just say not to rush back TOO fast - make sure that you're healed up first.

Good luck for a speedy - and cancer-free - recovery.

Frosty
10-05-2007, 20:05
I certainly winced and brought my knees together when I heard what they wanted to do... Thanks for all well wishes. Im hoping to hike again next month but i can't lift anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks so we'll see. ...Don't push it. THe trails will be there and you don't want complications. Best wishes.

tha
10-05-2007, 20:38
Don't push it. THe trails will be there and you don't want complications. Best wishes.

Amen. You are young and, I am sure, strong. The trails will wait.

My best for a speedy and complete recovery.

Topcat
10-05-2007, 20:51
You sound like you have a positive attitude. I wish you the best. On the bright side, it should cut down on the chaffeing.

I hope you get your chance to live your dream and hike your hike. I put mine off 30 years and cant hardly wait for the next 5 to pass so i can live one of mine

tripp
10-05-2007, 21:07
I told a hiking buddy that this is the ultimate in ultralighting - the doctor told me i only needed one of my boys to function "as a man" so i said to myself what the heck am i doing walking around with two for and carrying the exra weight? though now that the surgery is over and i'm in that post-surgery/recovery pain i can say with absolute certainty that it ain't worth the weight savings. it'll probaby be next year before i can get back on the trail cause i gotta catch up with schoolwork now but i hope to do some light dayhikes next month or december. everyone is right and i don't need to rush..

Yahtzee
10-05-2007, 21:28
Could make for some interesting trailnames. Lance Legstrong, perhaps.

What did Lance say upon retirement from cycling? I'm taking my ball and I am going home.

Be well. Katahdin ain't going anywhere.

warraghiyagey
10-05-2007, 21:46
Ouch, in so many different ways. Enjoy your hike when it happens. Peace.:)

buckowens
10-05-2007, 23:01
Am I the only guy who winced and brought his knees together when I read this?

Good luck with recovery and future hike plans.

Same here on the wincing part, but fortunately it is one cancer that I understand is easier to catch and has a high cure rate. Any time the boys are involved it gets my attention...

Tripp, keep the dream alive and maybe start out with a section or two. We "sectioners" are OK as well :D . Good luck and Godspeed on your conquering of the disease.

Smile
10-05-2007, 23:17
Sure hope you are feeling better soon. Looking forward to hearing when you are rescheduling your hike - the trail will be there :-)

skinny minnie
10-05-2007, 23:17
Never say never. :) Maybe I'll see you on the trail in '09.

Do you have insurance?

Hope it all works out.

OldStormcrow
10-06-2007, 08:40
You might not make it up there in '09, but remember that Lance did pretty good after his battle with cancer....and that's while riding one of those major-uncomfortable bicycle seats! You'll be back out there enjoying the Trail before you know it....good luck!

Jim Adams
10-06-2007, 08:56
Tripp,
Your hike will come, and trust me, when it does your hike will be great mental recovery. I can't think of a better way to get your head together after a major setback...and that is all this is...a setback.
Good luck

geek

MikeG
10-06-2007, 11:03
its great that your having a sense of humor about it. keeping a positive attitude is key.

hiker5
10-06-2007, 15:07
The trail isn't going anywhere. Take care of yourself.

tripp
10-07-2007, 06:48
I really really appreciate everyone's encouraging words. Words of wisdom I would say. To Skinny Minnie: yup I have insurance. As for the sense of humor that's what keeps you going through the bad times. I read one guy's story of recovery, and he told his doctor before surgery "Doc, I'd give my right nut to know if it was cancer"...I only wish that I'd thought of saying that...

mindi
10-08-2007, 05:29
I'm glad you caught it and you're going to be okay...looking forward to meeting you on the trail someday.
:) Sugargrits

peanuts
10-08-2007, 12:22
wishing you a speedy recovery! you are young and strong!

Pennsylvania Rose
10-08-2007, 12:26
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Even though it was written by/for a woman, read "Crazy, Sexy Cancer". Inspiring!