PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Hikers

spanish
10-05-2007, 21:22
Hello everyone,

I'm a hiker from Southeast Michigan, and was wondering if anyone has done any hiking at Pinckney Recreation Area. It's close to me, and is a good place to break away to. If anyone has hiked there or has any plans on doing a weekender, let me know. I have done several winter weekends out there and had a good time.I usually go with my cousin or brother, but always looking for new company. We plan to go to Isle Royale in the spring, but I'm trying to talk them into doing a section of the AT instead. Talk to ya soon!

Spanish:-?

Kerosene
10-05-2007, 22:46
I too am a long-time backpacker living is southeast Michigan. Oh woe is me...so few hills to climb.

In the late 90's I kept thinking about re-starting my quest to finish the AT in sections, having done about 600 miles in the 70's during high school and college. In order to see if I really still liked it, I went out on the Waterloo Pinckney Trail (http://www.waterloopinckneytrail.org/) for two nights in mid-October and came home very relaxed and determined to finish my quest. I only saw a few hunters, a few campers at the Green Lake Campground, and a bunch of mountain bikers on the Potawatomie Trail. I carried too much weight, used low-top boots that sunk into the sandy horse trails, walked through a lightning storm, felt like I was going to freeze to death when the temp fell below 40F that night, and all-in-all felt great after 37 miles.

Problem is, there are no hills to speak of, but there are a number of nice areas and there weren't too many people. I especially like the section between Waterloo HQ (MP 16) and Hankerd Road (MP 31), which makes for a nice day hike.

PM me and I can share my trip report and answer any other questions you might have. I also day-hiked the 18-mile Potawatomie Trail loop this past New Years Eve on a sunny dry day, but for hiking I preferred the W-P Trail. Beyond a few cinder/paved bike paths, I haven't found much else to talk about in SE Michigan.

BTW, if I hadn't started the AT so many years ago I would probably take the chance to hike Isle Royale, which is unique in many respects.

WalkingStick75
10-05-2007, 22:53
I have hiked there several times, good trails but all day hikes. 600 miles from the the Detroit area to Isle Royale, 600 miles to Virginia or to Vermont and all points in between. Isle Royal is nice (hiked it in 1973) Porcupine Mountians also have some great hiking, Mirror Lake is like a lot like Rainbow Lake in Maine. But give me a choice 600 miles North or 600 miles East and I will choose the AT every time.

Let me know when you will be in Pinckney and I will try to at least swing out that way, only a 20 minute drive for me.

stickat04
10-05-2007, 23:40
I am by Port Huron. Let me know if you guys do any hiking in Michigan I might be able to join you.

jrwiesz
10-06-2007, 01:58
Hello everyone,

I'm a hiker from Southeast Michigan, and was wondering if anyone has done any hiking at Pinckney Recreation Area. It's close to me, and is a good place to break away to. If anyone has hiked there or has any plans on doing a weekender, let me know. I have done several winter weekends out there and had a good time.I usually go with my cousin or brother, but always looking for new company. We plan to go to Isle Royale in the spring, but I'm trying to talk them into doing a section of the AT instead. Talk to ya soon!

I'm just a bit farther north just off I-75. Isle Royale in Aug of 2005, Porkies in 1973, 2000, 2001. As Kerosene said, "no hills around" the southern lower penisula, although one could get a few more hills up in the West Branch area and north, or Oscoda-Grayling area along the Au Sable river.

We have a nice 9 mile loop rails-to-trails in town, at least get out and work the legs a bit. I've found the August-September time good to miss the bugs in the Porkies and Isle Royale. I have limited week-ends off to hike; but let's keep others posted and we might find some spots/times to get in a hike.:sun

Although, I do enjoy the huntings seasons. And that time is here; I've been out a few days with the bow already. Duck opener is upon us.:D

buckowens
10-06-2007, 08:23
Hello everyone,

I just flew up to Pellston near Bay Harbor this past Thursday. Is there any good hiking in that area? It looked like hunting was popular from the airport motif, but it also looked pretty desolate. Nice country for sure. Not sure if I will make it back but wanted to check with you in case I overnight.

spanish
10-07-2007, 19:08
I'll be glad to let you know when we plan to do our next weekend trip. It will be 2-3 weeks. See ya on the trail

ChinMusic
10-07-2007, 19:54
It's certainly not sputheastern Michigan, but I will be hiking with a TT group starting Oct 19th at Trap Hills section of the NCT in the UP. I have several spots in MI on my wish list. I have had a couple relaxing trips to Nordhouse Dunes in the past.

Matteroo
10-07-2007, 20:17
michigan hiker here too.. just got home last night from a Pearisburg, VA - Katahdin 'section'. I 'trained' for what its worth on the potowotamie trail, and enjoyed it. Nordhouse is a closer drive than sleeping bear and offers the only national 'wilderness' designation in the lower penn-its a small place but on an off weekend some hunters and a few hikers will be company. I've been there probably 7 times in the past few years and have never found it to be too crowded. some very neat campsites found on wooded dune-tops just inland a bit.

ChinMusic
10-07-2007, 21:57
My last time at Nordhouse I hit the sand fly hatch at its peak. WOW o WOW Those suckers are MEAN.

I wonder if there is a site that predicts the dates of the hatches. I believe someone said they are on something like a "13-day cycle", or something like that. It would be nice to miss them......

spanish
10-07-2007, 22:06
Matteroo,
you said you trained on the Potowotamie trail, Did it help you at all, or is the poto trail a childs play ground compaired to your recent trip? I'm asking because I too use the poto as my training ground.

Spanish

Matteroo
10-07-2007, 23:39
spanish,

its what my dad 'trained' on too, before he joined bucket and I for a 30 mile section in the whites (we went SOBO to catch good weather on Franconia Ridge-Crawford Notch - Franconia Notch). It is good for seeing how your pack rides on you, if your footwear is giving you blisters, to try out hiking poles (if you're new to them), and some of the basic, but most important (imho) stuff. Its what we have-you live a little more distance from it than I do (I'm in Saline/Ann Arbor area)-but the poto has a lot of options for 4 mile-11 mile-10 mile-17 mile hike options for your time, etc.

Like most folks will say, there is no 'prep' you can do to make yourself in full physical condition for doing a big hike-other than hiking-but being in shape-knowing how your backpack feels and that your footwear is solid, without blisters, etc, is pretty invaluable. If your feet are fine and the backpack isn't killing you and you do 10-17 mile circuits a few times, that tells you some decent information. The poto would look like 'flat' area on a profile view on AT maps, but it has small 'hills'-what I did was push myself for speed to make of the difference for 'easy' terrain-the trail is quite free of rocks and roots and is relatively flat compared to everything except the maryland towpath. it is a childs play ground compared to pearisburg, va -> katahdin. But, if you were going on a high ropes course and only had a child's playground to monkey around on in the weeks before-you'd be better off using it for developing what you can, than you'd be sitting on your butt.

spanish
10-08-2007, 09:40
Matteroo,

Thanks for the reply, That''s what I thought, Poto is a good place for a shake down. And, If it's what you have to work with, then work it. Thanks again, maybe we'll see you out there one day.

Spanish

Lyle
10-08-2007, 10:36
Hey,
Michigan hiker here too. Just wondering, has there ever been a Midwest Gathering? I know there are a lot of AT affectionados in the area.

Anyone interested in something like that?

Cuffs
10-08-2007, 10:56
I have no educational input to this thread but wanted to say hello to all you MI hikers. I grew up "downriver" in Trenton/Woodhaven. I had no idea so many of you were up there! See you down the trail!

spanish
10-11-2007, 22:08
Weekend at pinckney recreation area comming up in a couple weeks..........any one interested in going let me know. so far there is 3 of us...