PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline resupply

outdoorguy81
10-07-2007, 13:35
I'm going to be doing the AT next year starting in March and I only really have one technical mystery left to solve. I have an international MSR stove that I have burned standard car gasoline with success. I intend to use this as my main fuel type since a typical gas station is probably the easiest and most common liquid fuel source that can provide fuel for my stove. There's just one problem. I don't think a standard MSR fuel bottle is an "approved fuel container". Meaning if I try to set it on the ground and stick a fuel pump into it after swiping my credit card, a nearby cop my give me a hard time. How do you actually fill up one of those bottles of fuel when on the trail? At home I have a big gallon container for my lawn mower that I borrow from but obviously I don't want to carry that.

Thanks for the help.

Alligator
10-07-2007, 13:39
Most people report that getting white gas is pretty easy, even by the ounce. If you had to fill up at a gas station, they generally have their own can somewhere for when people run out of gas.

Appalachian Tater
10-07-2007, 15:05
Don't fill up when a cop's around.

Why wouldn't the MSR aluminum fuel containers be approved containers? They are manufactured and sold to hold various camping fuels, including gasoline, and excepting alchohol. What does it say on the side of it?

outdoorguy81
10-07-2007, 16:04
Alligator:
I didn't know gas stations kept a can around for public use. Thanks.

Tater:
Well there's a lot of reasons it might not be approved. The more likely ones I can think of though is that either the openning is not above some standard size that allows all pumps to fit. That would mean constant contact would be difficult resulting in possible sparks if there is a voltage difference between the pump and the can. The other is that the material a pump is made out of and the MSR canister is made out of could potentially create a spark when banged against each other.

But I don't have any facts. I thought I heard it once a long time ago but I don't remember. The canister doesn't explicitly state you can or can not. It only says it is ment to hold petrolium fuels. However my actual gas can specifically states that you need to have it on the ground when filling which I think is a federally required label for any container ment to be filled at a pump. I'll try to check with MSR for confirmation and post a definitive answer about that.

Thanks for the replies.

Appalachian Tater
10-07-2007, 16:15
That's a good point: don't you have to use a funnel to fill it? The end of a gas pump nozzle wouldn't fit.

Alligator
10-07-2007, 20:15
Alligator:
I didn't know gas stations kept a can around for public use. Thanks.
....I used to run out of gas a lot:o. It's pretty common for the station to have one.

That's a good point: don't you have to use a funnel to fill it? The end of a gas pump nozzle wouldn't fit.I think a person would get drenched trying it even if it did fit. Twenty-two oz. is a rather small amount.

Appalachian Tater
10-07-2007, 20:22
It would be difficult.

I would make sure I always had a twenty on me as some gas stations require a deposit on their can.

Skidsteer
10-07-2007, 21:41
I used to run out of gas a lot:o. It's pretty common for the station to have one.

I think a person would get drenched trying it even if it did fit. Twenty-two oz. is a rather small amount.

It would be difficult.

I would make sure I always had a twenty on me as some gas stations require a deposit on their can.

These days many stations have free paper funnels for customer use.

Not quite as messy.

jesse
10-07-2007, 22:25
gasoline? too damn volitile for me. I have never heard of it being used fir backpacking.

rafe
10-07-2007, 23:46
gasoline? too damn volitile for me. I have never heard of it being used fir backpacking.

That was the whole point of the "Internationale" versions of the MSR stoves. Sure, use white gas if you can find it, but if not.... plain old gasoline will do.

Roland
10-08-2007, 06:52
outdoorguy81,

I don't know if your MSR fuel bottle is an approved gasoline container. But to me, that is the least of your concerns.

Most gas pumps in my area have been replaced with high-speed pumps. These can deliver a gallon of fuel, in seconds. Trying to fill an 11 oz. bottle, without spillage, would be difficult at best. Because your container does not have a vent, and because the pump nozzle will almost completely occlude the bottle opening, you are very likely to have blow-back.

This sounds like a messy, even dangerous, operation. I recommend using Coleman fuel. It is available, by the ounce, at many places along the trail.

outdoorguy81
10-08-2007, 18:24
Lol, reading these responses has given me a very funny image of filling up at a pump and getting soaked. Funny unless there's a match around.

I got the official word from MSR. The canisters are NOT legal to pump directly into.

Oh and by the way, speaking of volatility, when you use regular gasoline in your stove it is VERY effective. It sounds and cooks like a jet engine. Even at the lowest possible setting. It also burns dirty and smells when you're done so more frequent cleanings of your stove are needed when it no longer can spit out fuel and I carry my stove on the outside of my pack.

Thanks for the help everyone.

chuckbuster
10-08-2007, 19:12
Had to do a resupply in Richmond, VT last year on my LT End to End and couldn't find any white gas for my Svea 123R so I filled my Sigg fuel bottle with 93 octane with no problem. Same size bottle as the MSR, just fill slowly! Don't normally use regular gas for my stove but a buddy that SOBO in 93-94 used regular unleaded in his stove the entire time with no problems either. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though because everything starts to smell like gas after awhile and the fumes while your cooking are quite noxious but will probably keep the mosquitoes away. Enjoy!

chiefdaddy
10-08-2007, 19:25
I have a dragon fly that is collecting dust because I was tired of smelling like gas or colman fuel, got it 10 years ago.

Peaks
10-09-2007, 17:50
About the only insult with filling up your fuel bottle at a gas station is that they make you prepay for 50 cents worth of gas.