PDA

View Full Version : Hikerhostel.com

11-14-2003, 12:19
I have seen our name pop up on some other posts. I hope no one will be to offended if I self promote for a moment. We are a new hostel opening in Feb. '04. Any body intrested please see our web site at www.hikerhostel.com for services and prices. We are not free but have tried to keep price as low as possible.
thanks,
josh
profile '00

Blue Jay
11-14-2003, 15:48
I have seen our neame pop up on some other posts. I hope no one will be to offended if I self promote for a moment. We are a new hostel opening in Feb. '04. Any body intrested please see our web site at www.hikerhostel.com for services and prices. We are not free but have tried to keep price as low as possible.
thanks,
josh
profile '00

Thank you Josh, let me say the vast majority (including me) of hikers would find your post wonderful. Now let me see who could possibly be offended by a new hostel opening up and letting us know about it on this forum. As Dana Carvey would say, "Hmmm who could that be, could it be SATAN".

Jack Tarlin
11-14-2003, 16:03
Profile---

Best of luck with your new venture! A lot of good info on your web page! Your list of other Trail hostels is a good addition, but it definitely needs to be updated and improved.....off the top of my head, you've left out such extraordinary places as Standing Bear Farm just past the Smokies; the Duckett House Inn in Hot Springs; Miss Janet's in Erwin (!!!!); the Barn in Gorham, the Cabin in East Andover, etc. Also, you've a few places that are either gone or may be in 2004; for example, the Appalachian Mountain Club tore down the Crawford Notch hostel and replaced it with a 9 million dollar (no, that is NOT an error) hotel for their tonier members. Also, some of your listed prices are incorrect; perhaps you can update your excellent hostel listings in January after the new Thru-hiker's Companion comes out with changes, additions, new prices, etc.

11-14-2003, 16:35
Sorry for the list being out dated. I stole the list from another site while I was testing the site and intend to update it when I get the new companion from ALDHA. Whenever I complete the update, I am going to ask for people to review it for other omissions. Almanac and I are wanting to put a list that includes everyone and let hikers be the judge of where to stay.

Thanks for letting us know about the problem. Any one with a suggestion please let us know. We have thru hiked and know a bit about the hiking, However the hostel side is a going to prove to be an adventure.

profile'00

Uncle Wayne
11-17-2003, 02:51
Profile,

Good website, looking forward to seeing your photos. There are some trailheads I'd rather not leave my vehicle parked at for any length of time. Will you be able to provide short term, 3 to 5 days, parking for section hikers who use your shuttle service or stay in your hostel?

11-17-2003, 08:59
Parking will be no problem. We have room to park several cars. Also, people who want to park for some short hikes do not need to use the hostel or our services to park. Just give us a little notice 1-2 days just in case we do not have room for parking.

Jaybird
11-17-2003, 10:53
Profile:

Thanks for the new site & the total listings of hostels along the A.T.

An updated list is always a good thing. My suggestion would be to double ck the Thru-Hiker Companion each year when it's published for changes in prices, etc.,etc.

i'm a section-hiker (hiking the A.T.on the 20-year-plan ;) ) so, the hostels are a great way to end my section-hikin' expereince!

By the way, my wife & I love the Dahlonega area...we've visited there many times, along with trips to Helen, Cleveland & several other quaint areas in N.E.Georgia.

again, thanks for the new page & info.

Jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird

01-22-2004, 11:04
We want to let people know we now have pics of our hostel up on the web site. It is only a few, but we have had many many request by email to put them up. We will have more coming along with some of our hiking pics. Let us know what you think. www.hikerhostel.com The pics are under Hostel Tour.

firefly
01-22-2004, 11:55
Where are yall located?? I could not find that on your website.

01-22-2004, 11:58
We are located in Dahlonega, Ga just south of Woody's Gap and some what near Springer Mtn.

Lilred
01-22-2004, 18:22
We want to let people know we now have pics of our hostel up on the web site. It is only a few, but we have had many many request by email to put them up. We will have more coming along with some of our hiking pics. Let us know what you think. www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com/) The pics are under Hostel Tour.
What a gorgeous place!! What a great way to kick off or end a thru-hike, surrounded by such comfort.
You have a beautiful home.

JojoSmiley
01-23-2004, 11:01
Hi folks,
I remember you all talking about this at Traildays last year. What a gorgeous dream come true eh? Good luck and God Bless in the coming Hiker season.
Jojo and Nomad :banana

alpine
01-27-2004, 10:18
I've just seen the hostel for the first time and it is very nice. I can't wait to stay at your place in feb. Good luck on your hostel! :jump :clap :clap :clap

azchipka
02-12-2004, 22:03
Cant wait to see you guys in April

02-16-2004, 22:14
It is official...we are now open. We will be taking the "opening soon" off the web page. We got our hands on the tourist accomodation permit that is required on top of every thing else from the state and county. It was the last peice of the puzzle. We are very excited and hope to see many of you soon.

FatMan
02-16-2004, 23:05
Josh

Your place looks really great. I'll be sure to stop by next time I'm through Woody Gap. Is your place easily seen from 60 or are you hidden on a side road? Best of luck with your new venture.

Youngblood
02-17-2004, 09:37
It is official...we are now open. We will be taking the "opening soon" off the web page. We got our hands on the tourist accomodation permit that is required on top of every thing else from the state and county. It was the last peice of the puzzle. We are very excited and hope to see many of you soon.

Best of luck!

Youngblood

ps. Thanks again for the dinner last november.

MOWGLI
02-22-2004, 19:18
I had the pleasure of staying at Josh & Leigh Saint's new Hostel last night. What a delightful place! Two thumbs (very high) up!

Here's some info about the place.

There are currently (2) bunkrooms, each with (4) beds. I stayed in the bunkroom downstairs, primarily because the beds in that room are 7' long, and designed for tall folks like me. The bed was super comfy. I slept like a baby, and for me, that is very unusual.

There is also a gorgeous private room for couples.

I think that this is the nicest looking hostel that I have ever seen along the trail. I don't say that to knock the other hostels along the way. It's just a beautiful place, outside & inside. The photos on their website simply don't do the place justice.

If you are looking for a shuttle & somewhere to start your thru-hike or section hike from, you can't go wrong with this place. The prices are an absolute bargain. The view out the back window is worth the price to stay the night all by itself. The view out the front isn't too shabby either (great sunrise this morning).

What makes the place so special, is that this is a labor of love by two former thru-hikers. They are opening their home to help out the rest of us hikers. That love comes shining through - brightly.

Check the place out! I guarantee, you won't regret it.

Thanks again Josh & Leigh, and best of luck! I'm honored to have been one of your first guests.

Jeffrey Hunter aka Little Bear (GA-ME 2000)

papa john
02-22-2004, 19:54
Josh and Leigh are true "Saints" in every sense of the word. They picked me up at the Atlanta airport in 2000, took me to their home to stay the night, we went out to dinner and the next morning they fixed up a HUGE breakfast to give us a good sendoff. They did all this even though they were in the final stages of trying to sell their house and get ready for their '00 thru-hike.John

Matt Pincham
02-26-2004, 07:39
Their place truly does look gorgeous. I can't wait to meet them both as they seem like great people. Perhaps I'll even meet a few WB users there too.

Best of luck in business.

Youngblood
02-26-2004, 08:17
Great place & great people. I posted a couple of pictures that I took last weekend at the Hiker Hostel, here are the links:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2715&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=554

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2714&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=532

Youngblood

DeBare
02-28-2004, 18:10
:clap I'm here at HIKERHOSTEL right now and I can tell you that this is a great place! :D I'm starting the AT on Monday

papa john
02-28-2004, 20:26
:clap I'm here at HIKERHOSTEL right now and I can tell you that this is a great place! :D I'm starting the AT on Monday
Good luck on your hike, hope you go all the way to Maine! Say hi to the Saints for me.

Papa John

Red Hat
03-26-2004, 11:27
Josh and Leigh will pick you up in Gainesville, Atlanta, or just about anywhere in northern Georgia. This place is immaculate! Each bedroom sleeps four, and each has its own bath. They also pick up for night's rest and slackpacking if you need it. I dropped almost 8 lbs one day and went back to the trail. Gotta love the Hiker Hostel!

myakka
04-01-2004, 21:46
We just spent three nights at the hiker hostel Josh / Leigh are great people that are truly hiker friendly. We were there Sat - Monday and had a great time hiking and enjoying being around the AT crowd.

kevin
06-20-2004, 20:28
I just wanted to add a short plug for HikerHostel. I stopped there on Day 3 of a section hike between Amicalola Falls and Fontana Dam. As an out-of-shape middle-aged guy from the flat midwest, I was feeling pretty beat and needed a short break. Joshua and Leigh were great hosts (if you guys are reading this, thanks for the hospitality) and their place is wonderful. If you are looking for a place to stay to start your hike or need to recharge the batteries early into the hike, you can't go wrong by staying here.

LEGS
03-20-2005, 14:53
Hey Folks, All Thats Been Said About This Place Is True. They Are Truly Great Host And Its A Fine Place To Start A Thru Hike, Just Dont Let Them Spoil Your Wilderness Experience, And They Will. The Food Is Excellent And The Rooms Are Spic And Span Clean. The Sunrise From The Front Porch Rockers With Coffe Is Awesome.
This Is A Great Place To Start A Thru Hike. Anyone Travling Any Distance To Start Should Plan On A Night Here Before Beginning. Its A Great Place For Those Final Mental Preparations And Pack Checks.
They Are Located 6 Miles North Of Dalongea On Rt. 19, Or Coming From Woody Gap On Rt. 60, Dont Miss The Intrsection With 19, Its Only A Mile Or So From Rt. 60 If Your Coming In That Way.
Hey Josh And Leigh, You Guys Are A Fine New Addition To The Trail Community Of Services. Wishing You A Great Season And Happy Hiking. See You Again Soonh. Many Thanks For A Great Stay.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2005, 22:19
Nice Post Legs And I'm Sure You Are Correct But Your Punctuation Style Makes It Very Difficult To Read Your Correspondence! Please Consider The Occasional Use Of Small-Case Letters In The Future! Thank You!

smokymtnsteve
03-20-2005, 22:28
I kin read it fin Jack, I larnt to ride in GA public schoils, da same palce I larnt to typer writ,

Downunda
03-20-2005, 22:50
I Like the aiport pickup package you have put together. I hope the hikers support you. Good luck with your venture and I hope you make some money out of it.

Flash Hand
03-22-2005, 03:16
I Will Be Starting My Northbound Thru-Hike In April. I Already Reserved Plane Tickets To New Orleans On April 6 But Haven't Reserved Bus Ticket From New Orleans To Gainesville And Being Picked Up By The Saints. Once I Am Done With Bus Tickets Then I Will Make Arrangement To Be Picked Up By Them And Stay At Well Reputated Hiker Hostel For The Night. I Am Looking Forward To It.

Flash Hand :jump

PS, Sorry, Balitmore Jack, I Couldn't Resist It. :D

LEGS
03-22-2005, 22:12
hey jack,thanks for the tip but i'm a lazy typer and just use the caps so i dont have to keep changing fingers,sorry ya had a problem, but at least ya read it. maybe someday i'll get to go to school in hanover and be a fine typist like you, but until then,i think i'll just keep hikin' and type the best i can. see ya at traildays if not before. keep up the good work ol man, ya doin good things for the trail and the hikers. take care, see ya in may.

SalParadise
03-23-2005, 01:23
Was at HikerHostel last year and hope to be again this year. It's a beautiful place and they are nice people. I didn't even stay overnight there last year and they still remembered me when I ran into them in Damascus!

Lilred
03-23-2005, 22:59
I'll be staying at the hiker hostel after my little section next week. I've heard so many good things about the place and the people running it. I'm looking forward to meeting them.

Carsten010
03-25-2005, 11:08
Hi folkes,

I stayed at HikerHostel in 2004 at the beginning of my thruhike too.

It was just the perfect service for me. Leigh picked me up in Atlanta,
stopped at REI and Walmart and brought me to the Hostel where a
bunch of hikers already waited to talk gear and stuff :-)

IŽd definitely stay there again if IŽd hike the AT again.

Carsten
(Sauerkraut AT2004)

MedicineMan
03-26-2005, 00:33
and also thanks for the links to the mapmakers...just ordered 2 of them!

Uncle Wayne
05-23-2005, 02:15
Josh and Leigh Saint are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. They provided us with a shuttle to Unicoi Gap and picked us up at Neels Gap plus saved us a private room in their hostel (home). My wife and I stayed there May 21, 2005 and can highly recommend it. We were treated like one of the family and enjoyed meeting them. The hostel is spotless and the food delicious and plentiful.
Maggie, their dog, was well behaved also!

manzana
09-29-2005, 09:00
Are these guys still in business? Their website evaporated. I was really looking forward to staying with them.

manzana in Austin

jlb2012
09-29-2005, 09:03
I have no problem bringing up their website from the link in the first post in this thread.

Red Hat
09-29-2005, 12:48
They were hiking the Colorado Trail this summer, after the influx of hikers slowed down. I'm sure they'll be back soon, if not already. Red Hat

Youngblood
09-29-2005, 13:14
They are back, the were part of a trio of different backpackers giving a presentation on the Colorado Trail a week or so ago at the Perimeter REI in Atlanta.

Walessp
10-09-2005, 08:01
Josh and Leigh

Are you sure you want us funky hikers in your house? I'm still hiking south through TN, near GSMNP but will definitely put you on my list to visit. Looks like your place will merit the "best seen to date" award!

Sky Rider
(walessp)

Flash Hand
10-11-2005, 13:51
Am working on thru hike attempt again in 2007 (Not 2006) and will definitely stay at Hiker Hostel again. Very nice place and very cozy!

Flash Hand :jump

tville_hiker
12-20-2005, 21:13
we're at the hiker hostel right now and it's a very nice place! great people too! definately recommend this place

Tha Wookie
12-21-2005, 12:31
we're at the hiker hostel right now and it's a very nice place! great people too! definately recommend this place

I recommend it also. Josh and Leigh are two truly wonderful and inspiring people.

It is a great place to launch a thru-hike!

03-12-2006, 11:33
As everyone should know the season is in full swing. We have already put about 200 on the trail. Lots of people say they see people on WB recomend us and we want to say thanks.

digger51
03-12-2006, 16:57
No thanks needed when you offer the great services you and Leigh do. BTW I should be down there either fri or sat this week to start. I have trouble believing you havent increased your rates from last year. Are those posted at your web site still good? If they are that is still the best deal a guy can get.

River Runner
04-27-2006, 00:06
I enjoyed a stay at the Hiker Hostel the evening of April 13. The owners and staff are great! We all felt very welcome. Everything was clean and convenient and the cost was very reasonable at $15 for a bunk with linens included, a hot shower, and a good breakfast of eggs, pancakes, and grits. The house is beautiful, and a lot of thought has went into making it hiker friendly, including a refrigerator and washer/dryer we could use, reading materials to browse, Maggie the friendly dog to pet, and a shuttle into town for dining. (In addition to the free shuttle back and forth to Woody Gap.) We even had entertainment/education (watching Paul "shake-down" a thru-hiker pack - a great learning experience).
I very highly recommend staying here.

buckowens
06-29-2007, 19:17
My daughter Roo and I came upon Woody Gap the other week in a heavy thunderstorm. When all looked hopeless we got in touch with Josh from the Hiker Hostel who came right away to pick us up. I knew my wife would be a bit squeamish when I said the word "hostel", and quite frankly I was a bit as well. But, we were wet, tired and needed real food and a bath.

The "hostel" reminded me more of a vacation home being log with hardwood floors. The accommodations were great, and everything was totally clean and presentable. I am in the Army and have stayed in many, many nasty places...

Leigh was out of town, but Josh and Scott made us feel right at home from the start. Maggie the dog was great therapy as well, and the shower and laundry were spectacular!

I do not normally endorse businesses, but have to in this case. With Josh, Leigh and Scott being thru-hikers, they know what a person needs when coming off the trail. I would encourage anyone who needs a night off the trail in the area to give them a call!

Smile
11-29-2007, 01:13
How far is this hostel from Springer?

Tinker
11-29-2007, 01:29
Josh and Leigh,

Frosty and I enjoyed our two nights at your hostel. Very nice accomodations and hospitality.

Thanks again,
Tinker

warraghiyagey
11-29-2007, 01:55

I believe it's just a short skip from the approach trail head. Somewhere near Dahlonega (sp).

buckowens
11-29-2007, 06:49

19.9 miles from Springer. As I said previously, Roo and I enjoyed our short time there. I highly recommend it as a nice place to stay with young ones or other family. Don't let the word "hostel" fool you, it is a home.

Smile
12-01-2007, 17:10
Thanks BOwens, I emailed them, what nice folks! And the website was great for photos, will have to make this a stop next time i am down this way.

:)

buckowens
12-01-2007, 18:18
Thanks BOwens, I emailed them, what nice folks! And the website was great for photos, will have to make this a stop next time i am down this way.

:)

Glad to be of service. We only got to meet Josh and Scott while there, as Leigh was out of town leading a hike. I also sent a trail friend named Tea Dog there, and upon seeing him again a day or so later he was beaming and well fed...:D

Doughnut
12-01-2007, 19:12
Not to hijack the thread, but why Profile and Almanac? I've always been curious.

And Yes, if this is your first experience witha Hostel, be prepared to be spoiled! It is more of a home than hostel.

Peaks
12-02-2007, 10:02
Not to hijack the thread, but why Profile and Almanac? I've always been curious..

I'm sure if you ask them, they will tell you the story about their trail names from their thru-hike.

MOWGLI
12-02-2007, 11:06
Not to hijack the thread, but why Profile and Almanac? I've always been curious.

Leigh (Almanac) has a way with details. I forget why Josh is called Profile, but it may have to do with his desire to look at the profile on the maps. I met them in Massachusetts, long after they had their trail names. Summited Special K with them too. Great folks!

Cerridwen
12-02-2007, 11:22
I just want to say that I stayed at the Hiker Hostel my third night on the trail during my thruhike last spring and it was by far the cleanest, friendliest, most accomodating hostel I have stayed in yet...I was spoiled for any other hostel stays the rest of my hike...thanks so much guys for providing this service!

Smile
12-02-2007, 11:58
And bunks are $15!
What a deal, this is a good model for other future hostel owners/builders to take a look at :)

buckowens
12-02-2007, 12:02
And bunks are $15!
What a deal, this is a good model for other future hostel owners/builders to take a look at :)

Not to mention a nice big hiker breakfast to boot!! :D

mooseboy
06-15-2009, 02:05
If you are staying there, is the shuttle from the trail included?

Jeff
06-15-2009, 05:32
Check their website for more info:

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

Lone Wolf
06-15-2009, 06:32
Not to mention a nice big hiker breakfast to boot!! :D
although a "big hiker breakfast" isn't needed. most folks are still fat, bloated and pale and not hungry for real startin' out

Jaybird
06-16-2009, 05:00
although a "big hiker breakfast" isn't needed. most folks are still fat, bloated and pale and not hungry for real startin' out

Hey WOLF!

Good seeing you on top of WHITETOP MTN.
Wish we had more time to talk hikin'...but, as you know, I had some pedaling (very little) to do...hehehehehe:D
My wife & I LOVE Damascus!