PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking

earthbound
10-08-2007, 00:53
I specifically want to hear from female thru-hikers on the AT- What did you do about resupply? I figure hitching with a guy makes it easier for both parties, but what did you do on resupply days? Did you purposefully wait for a male thru hiker to come by? or a female thru-hiker? Did you hitch alone? Plan ahead? Bring mace? Any sort of commentary on the logistics of getting to town safely would be appreciated.

mambo_tango
10-08-2007, 10:39
I almost always had someone to hitch with - not even on purpose. The few times I was alone was when I was in Maine and it wasn't that much fun. Mostly you have to go with your instincts about people so if you feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable don't get in. Also don't be afraid to ask for rides - if you are in town find a parking lot or a gas station that way you can kind of choose who you want to go with (I did that a few times).

Pennsylvania Rose
10-08-2007, 12:04
I've always been able to find another hiker to hitch with, especially if I stay or stop at a shelter the night before a resupply. The few times I've hitched alone I've only taken rides with other women.

Lucy Lulu
10-08-2007, 13:14
Over 15 years I've often hitched solo, and never had issues. Well, maybe that one hitch on the flatbed truck driven by the crazy teenagers in Maine. Thank god I had that chained tire to hold onto around the curves!

Anyway, I have always tried to use decent judgement. Fortunately, I have a fairly good radar for the "not quite stable", so I've tactfully turned down as many hitches as I've taken.

I do have a couple "rules of thumb" I basically try to follow. I don't hitch at night. I'll camp a few miles from roads and head in the next day. I try to get a good look at the vehicle I'm considering. I've stepped back into the woods to avoid sketchy looking vehicles on several occaisions.

Maybe I've been fortunate to date, but I don't restrict my ride selection to gender. I've always trusted my instinct and have been lucky enough to meet some great people hitching. Asking for rides is not a bad idea either since you can determine who you are riding with.

oldfivetango
10-08-2007, 14:05
I hope none of you ladies would even think about accepting
a ride from one or more men in a van.Just goes against my
gutt instincts.
Oldfivetango

Blissful
10-08-2007, 15:29
I was with my son so I let him do the hitching (and he loved doing it). My job was to let my hair down (so they knew I was female) sit on my pack and wait. We got several rides from women too. Our shortest hitch was 2 minutes. My son once waited 40 minutes. 20 minutes is average.

But we used a lot of mail drops and sent them to hostels, etc. And hostels often pick you up at the trailhead. I hate hitching though and tried to avoid it as much as possible. But there are cases when you must.

chiefdaddy
10-09-2007, 08:26
for some reason I love hitching or the idea behind it. Never had a problem except the crazed church goer driving crazy with us in the back of the pick up lol.

oldfivetango I once took a ride from two college girls in an SUV should I have been afraid :D kidding. I once read that Marines and Martial artist were prone to hitching and picking up hitch hikers.

mindi
10-15-2007, 09:32
I had to hitch alone a few times at the beginning of my hike. I didn't much like it, but I didn't have any problems. Actually only ran into two creeps, and both times when I wasn't alone, so go figure.

There were a few places where the hitching was really rough and it took FOREVER to get a ride. Twice in particular when Combat and I were hitching with another guy. I guess not many people want to stop for more than 2 people, so that may be something to think about. What ticked me off was that we were passed by several pickups that would have easily fit tons of people in the back, and we also saw several of the same cars passing us again in the other direction. It almost felt like they were just driving up and down the road to gawk.

That's not to say we didn't get some awesome rides, though. People who would go way out of their way to take you right to where you wanted to go, and people with really interesting stories.

Lilred
10-15-2007, 18:00
Most places you'll hitch will be in trail towns where the townfolk are used to hikers hitching rides. I only hitched alone a couple of times and never had a problem. Use common sense and hitch with others whenever possible.

CherrypieScout
10-15-2007, 21:28
I hitched for the first time this past summer. I wasn't comfortable about it, but jumped in the pick-up truck. Nice man - took me to my resupply. I was in North/Central, VA where hitching is common.

Red Hat
10-24-2007, 17:00
I hope none of you ladies would even think about accepting
a ride from one or more men in a van.Just goes against my
gutt instincts.
Oldfivetango

Well, I have had to think twice, but I have done it. The last time I had hiked through blinding snow and ice outside Erwin and was thrilled when I saw a hunter coming down the old forest road. I stuck out my thumb and he gave me a ride to town. I felt totally safe (of course I am old and ugly...) Anyway, I prefer to hitch with someone, but when I am alone and need a ride I consider where I am (not on a busy highway, but in the middle of the forest) Pervs don't go to the forest to pick up female hikers. Most folks out there are out to enjoy nature and are harmless.

sourwood
10-24-2007, 18:41
One of my rules of safe solo hiking has been to not hitchhike alone. However , I have done it a few times. Once was from Palmertown to a bus stop in Slatington when I was sick and heading home and all attempts at finding a ride in another way failed. I was picked up by a very nice local man. This summer I hitched in and out of Manchester Center, VT. I needed to resupply and it's a long road walk. I got a ride easily in and out of town, but this is an area where hikers hitching in and out of town is a common sight.

Julie

Cindy from Indy
01-28-2008, 08:43
I've gone through the Trail Data Book and calculated my drop box points, re-supply points, etc...

I'm finding that I'll need to hitchhike at several points on the trail. Since I'm leaving in the 3rd week of April, will there be trail traffic enough for me to find a hitching buddy? How 'bout later when I'm in Maine in Sept?

I've never hitchhiked in my life. :eek: My Dad used to when we would run out of gas or the car would break down on the road, in the 60's and 70's. And, he would pick up hitchhiker's while we were on vacation. Most of the time our whole family would be invited back to the hh's home for a meal! LOL

jessicacomp
01-30-2008, 01:08
Is just walking into town too hard to do? I kind of thought I'd be able to do just do that, but is it not commonly done?

DuctTape
01-30-2008, 01:19
[quote=jessicacomp;516840]Is just walking into town too hard to do?/quote]

Sometimes, yes.

I think most women just get someone to hitch with them - on a thru-hike this isn't hard to organize.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2008, 01:23
I've gone through the Trail Data Book and calculated my drop box points, re-supply points, etc...

I'm finding that I'll need to hitchhike at several points on the trail. Since I'm leaving in the 3rd week of April, will there be trail traffic enough for me to find a hitching buddy? How 'bout later when I'm in Maine in Sept?

I've never hitchhiked in my life. :eek: My Dad used to when we would run out of gas or the car would break down on the road, in the 60's and 70's. And, he would pick up hitchhiker's while we were on vacation. Most of the time our whole family would be invited back to the hh's home for a meal! LOL

I have to admit I am trying to stay out of this area, but you folks raise very interesting questions, Indy why do need to hitch when there are clearly posted pick up's and registered drop off people in the shuttle area. Wouldn't that be safer.?

Cindy from Indy
01-30-2008, 09:45
I have to admit I am trying to stay out of this area, but you folks raise very interesting questions, Indy why do need to hitch when there are clearly posted pick up's and registered drop off people in the shuttle area. Wouldn't that be safer.?

Yes, absolutely. But I'm finding that a few of my stop/re-supply points require me to go into a town that doesn't have any trailhead shuttle service and the town is 5 or more miles away. This is mainly in the northern regions.

Perhaps I should re-work my hiking schedule. To be honest, I am really trying to limit my trips into town. But, either way, to get groceries or to pick up a drop box, I gotta go into town.

quasarr
01-30-2008, 14:42
This summer my boyfriend came to visit me in Leadville, Colorado. He called the Leadville tourism info line to ask how to get there from the airport in Denver. They actually suggested that hitchhiking was the best way! :-?

I hitched a ride together with my boyfriend once, but that's the only time. I've always heard that a 1 male, 1 female pair is the best way to get picked up. The female puts drivers at ease, and the male hopefully deters anyone with bad intentions. And most people have room for 2 passengers.

ATSeamstress
01-31-2008, 16:42
Is just walking into town too hard to do? I kind of thought I'd be able to do just do that, but is it not commonly done?

I'm a 2009 planner, and that was my thought. I'm looking at resupply points within two miles of the trail, either to buy or send a maildrop. If these places are more than a week apart, I'm looking for hotel/hostel owners who offer pick-up/drop-off with stay and who either take a maildrop or are close to a market. I realize that might be cost-prohibitive for some hikers on a budget, but that's my plan. I would always offer gas money.

That said, I've talked to enough thru-hikers to know that after a few weeks the plans all change. I have hitchhiked three times, and all three times it was with two other people. All were pleasant experiences.

I've got my rough plan on a spreadsheet if anyone wants to see it.

tina.anderson
02-08-2008, 10:14
I have never hitchhiked and I never plan to in the future. I know most people are good people, but it's the few bad seeds that makes me so mistrustful.

Flush2wice
02-08-2008, 10:29

There will still be plenty of other hikers. That's actually a great time to start. Try to hitch with another hiker, male or female. If the other hiker doesn't really need to stop at that town, offer to buy them lunch or something.
I live 10 minutes from the trail and often pick up hikers. I've never seen an individual female hitching.

shuffle
02-08-2008, 11:03
I am thru hiking this year. I hiked in 2004 with a partner but still had to hitch by myself when I needed to get to town becasue of being hurt. Once he put me on the back of a huge telephone repair truck with them promising to take me to town. Once out of sight they droped me off and said they had to go some other direction and a policeman stopped because I was hobbling and asked me what happened and when I told him, he took me into Irwin to Miss Janets. I hitched alone one other time and got picked up by a man in a pick up truck and he would not let me sit in the back, and he took me all the way to where I needed to go. He was very nice and just loved to talk. I had never hitched in my life before the trail because of safety issues. When my partner and I hitched together we always found we got a hitch easier if I did the hitching and he just stood there. I even got us a ride out of Gatlinburg! I am hiking myself this year and in light of what happened to Meredith, I will be more cautious. But I am not going to let those type of people ruin my experiences in the woods!

TRIP08
02-18-2008, 20:12
Just curious:

What is the farthest away a town has ever been? (10-15 miles?) And roundtrip?

Blissful
02-18-2008, 20:23
Just curious:

What is the farthest away a town has ever been? (10-15 miles?) And roundtrip?

Hiawasee is pretty far. 11 miles from Dicks Creek. Franklin is 10 miles from Winding Stair. Thankfully you can get shuttles.

We had to phone for a shuttle to Lincoln, NH from Franconia Noth. That was a ways away.

freespirit2000
02-28-2008, 19:31
This will be my third thru hike on this trail and have never had a bad ride hitching. Ive almost always had a hiking partner (and mace) in the pocket of my jacket ..on the "on" position. Speaking of hiking partners..Is anyone leaving around the second week of March and looking for a hiking partner? Im kind of looking for someone in the 45 to 65 age group.

Freedom
03-02-2008, 13:45
Ok, so I'm going to thru-hike with my dog. I'm assuming this will difficult. Anyone have any experience?

Freedom
03-02-2008, 13:46
I mean as far as hitchhiking with my dog...

Lucy Lulu
03-02-2008, 15:32
I did a large SOBO section in 98', from Katahdin to Gorham. Part of the section was done with my yellow lab.

I actually had more luck hitching with her than without her. A couple of people told me I had "to be safe with a dog." No comment on their logic, but I definitely got rides more easily.

tlbj6142
03-02-2008, 16:40
One thing to consider is that most guy hikers like to have a woman with them when hitching into town as mix pairs tend to get rides easier (than solo males or 2 males). So, with a bit of planning, you might be able to find another hiker that needs to head into the same town. Doing so, benefits both of you.

cathy
03-04-2008, 16:14
I never hitched a ride when alone! I walk into towns for resupply or use mail drops. I have had guys ask me to hitch with them because it is easier to get a ride with a girl.

teaspoon
03-04-2008, 18:20
i . tthru hiked sobo from maine to key west. also the pct. when i was on the cdt i caught a ride with locals, we had a head on at 70 mph. the driver died at the scene, i had all my ribs broke or fractured, right hip had hairline breaks around it. i broke 2 vertabrae in my neck and also three fingers broke. i havent hiked in 3 years since the accident. teaspoon

Blissful
03-04-2008, 19:48
i . tthru hiked sobo from maine to key west. also the pct. when i was on the cdt i caught a ride with locals, we had a head on at 70 mph. the driver died at the scene, i had all my ribs broke or fractured, right hip had hairline breaks around it. i broke 2 vertabrae in my neck and also three fingers broke. i havent hiked in 3 years since the accident. teaspoon

Wow, that's awful! So sorry to hear this...

:(

Anyway, :welcome to White Blaze.

skyhiker2
03-05-2008, 12:07
MACE!!!

IT'S ONLY 2.5 OUNCES,, (I WAS SPRAYED ON PURPOSE IN THE MILITARY) IT'S BETTER THAN A GUN IF YOU ASK ME.. YOUR ALWAYS BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY,, NEVER GET INTO A CAR WITH A STRANGE MAN, OR IF YOU INSIST ON IT DON'T TO IT WITHOUT MACE IN YOUR HAND! I DON'T GIVE A F@#$ IF OTHER GIRLS DID IT. IT ONLY TAKES ONE WRONG TIME FOR IT TO HAPPEN. "PROTECT YOURSELF" IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO YOURSELF.... I'M A NICE 30 YEAR OLD GUY WHO SIMPLY KNOWS HOW MEN ARE.... LISTEN TO ME!!!! DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN A POSITION YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF! LAST BUT NOT LEAST,, HE MAY NOT WANT TO RAPE YOU,, BUT WHEN HE STARTS HITTING ON YOU TO THE POINT IT'S SCARING YOU, AT LEAST YOU'LL KNOW YOU CAN SPRAY THE SCUMBAG AND GET AWAY WHENEVER YOU FEEL IT'S TIME.

girlnextdoor
05-21-2008, 23:50
I specifically want to hear from female thru-hikers on the AT- What did you do about resupply? I figure hitching with a guy makes it easier for both parties, but what did you do on resupply days? Did you purposefully wait for a male thru hiker to come by? or a female thru-hiker? Did you hitch alone? Plan ahead? Bring mace? Any sort of commentary on the logistics of getting to town safely would be appreciated.

I've hitched both by myself and with a male.

I've been lucky in finding rides, no sketchy people or anything. I think you can get a vibe on someone when you first talk to them. I know people who felt funny with someone and decided to wait on another ride.

When I would hitch by myself people tended to think I was running away (?) and ask if I'm ok! (I hiked when I was 22 and looked about 17 I guess)
I've gotten some funny rides too like a really nice lady who couldn't speak, then she wrote out a note that said she had those teeth whitener strips on and was embarrassed to talk! We laughed about it and ended up talking for a while!

With a male it's sometimes a little harder because they look kinda wild! My husband's 6'7'' so he never tries to hitch standing up!

Sometimes if you do a little jig or show some humor they think your safe too!

On the other side of things I've only ever picked up women hitching with packs if I'm driving alone. I'd pick up someone with a dog though. If they have a dog I'd think they have compassion to care for an animal and may not cut out my kidneys on the ride into town.

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 00:08
I think hitching around the AT for re-supply is accepted and locals know of it and help out. But for any female hitching alone they are taking a risk. If you do this without any mace (at least) and with no precautions (many given on this thread) you are being very naive and foolish. Please don't become a statistic. Please, when you think "it won't happen to me" -you've got a problem. One thing that has not been offered is this: when you are in the car pull out your cell phone and call your "husband" and talk to him. Even if the phone does not work, act like it does and talk away. Just a suggestion. Have a great hike. -SunnyWalker

Trillium
05-23-2008, 00:39
One thing that has not been offered is this: when you are in the car pull out your cell phone and call your "husband" and talk to him. Even if the phone does not work, act like it does and talk away. Just a suggestion. Have a great hike. -SunnyWalkerthat does sound like a very good suggestion. to take it a step further, ck out the license plate before you get in and give it to the person you are talking on the cellphone to in earshot of the driver.

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 01:08
Yes, good idea Trillium. Adios!