PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail in the NY Times

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 12:29
Check this out: http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/05/travel/escapes/05trail.html

Pennsylvania Rose
10-08-2007, 12:47
Interesting background info. I tried to take my kids plus one on a section hike of the BMT last week (fall break), but had to go home the morning after we got there because my dh was in the emergency room back here in KY. Boy, Joyce Kilmer is in the middle of NOWHERE (although luckily I managed to get a cell signal near one of the lakes)!!! The Tail of the Dragon was fun to drive, especially with 6 kids going "Wheee" around every turn. Can't wait to go back and get a chance to hit the trail.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 12:53
If you were around the tail of the dragon you were near my section.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-08-2007, 12:57
Really - too bad we didn't get to hike. We'll have to get in touch next time we're down that way. Take the kids for a hike. You and my dh can talk Army (he was in Kuwait and Saudi duing Desert Storm).

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 12:59
Sure thing.

Sly
10-13-2007, 17:25
Great article.

Hey Rock, have you updated your BMT guide/doc?

SGT Rock
10-13-2007, 17:32
Yes I have. I haven't posted it yet because I was on other projects. I also went and did some trail maintenance today and played ambassador of the trail to some service providers today - so now there are some more updates to the local vendors in the Tapoco area. I hope to get over to Cherokee soon and finsih up some of that stuff.

Anyhow, you want a copy of what I have now? I haven't gotten the re-rout information from the BMTA yet.

Sly
10-13-2007, 17:39
Anyhow, you want a copy of what I have now? I haven't gotten the re-rout information from the BMTA yet.

Thanks. I can wait for a more finalized version. Hopefully, I'll be doing some sections over the fall, winter and spring. I'll let you know beforehand

SGT Rock
10-13-2007, 17:44
Sure. I don't know when we will get a printed version out, so until then I will do a PDF file ever year like ALDHA does with the companion and make it available. If the BMTA decides not to go with it, I may try and finish it myself and figure out how to get it printed.

Sly
10-13-2007, 17:53
Great, thanks again. I don't mind printing it out, it's not that many pages. Assuming I get out there, if I can help fill in some of the blank data I'll pass it along.

SGT Rock
10-13-2007, 18:12
Yes you can. I plan to keep the guide to less than 10 pages if at all possible - just what you need to know and keep the subjective information out of it.

envirodiver
10-15-2007, 14:56
I'm planning a section hike of about 85-100 miles or so in mid November. I've not been on the BMT before and plan to start at Springer. I'm really not far along in the planning so input would be great.

Sgt. Rock I'd like to get a copy of that document and be glad to fill in some blanks if needed. Or if you have anything else that needs to be done on it.

I have a couple of question: I want to cache food at about the halfway point. I generally use those green military ammo boxes for this. Does anyone know of a good access point for that?

I also want to leave a vehicle at my destination. Is there anywhere along this portion of the route that is known to have vehicle vandalism/break-in problems?

Any thoughts anyone has on this would be great. I also have a HH on order and look forward to trying this thing out. I'm checking into the bottom insulation issue (which I know is on other threads)

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 15:13
I'm planning a section hike of about 85-100 miles or so in mid November. I've not been on the BMT before and plan to start at Springer. I'm really not far along in the planning so input would be great.

Sgt. Rock I'd like to get a copy of that document and be glad to fill in some blanks if needed. Or if you have anything else that needs to be done on it.
I'm attaching my latest PDF file on that to this thread.

I have a couple of question: I want to cache food at about the halfway point. I generally use those green military ammo boxes for this. Does anyone know of a good access point for that?

Depends on where you plan to go. I'm thinking of caching some food at 91.4 mile point at Thunder Rock Campground. I figure if I start at Springer with 4 days food and do a purchase at Dixie Depot of what strikes me as tasty - I can get to Thunder Rock on that.

I also want to leave a vehicle at my destination. Is there anywhere along this portion of the route that is known to have vehicle vandalism/break-in problems?
I don't know yet. I'm thinking of doing a recon of Thunder Rock this weekend. It is about 1.5 hours from here and looks like a good place to leave a car. My plan on my thru is to leave the car there with 4 days food cache in it so I have either the option of driving somewhere (including home weather dependent) or just picking up my drop and heading north.

Any thoughts anyone has on this would be great. I also have a HH on order and look forward to trying this thing out. I'm checking into the bottom insulation issue (which I know is on other threads)
Get a no-snivler.

What section do you plan to hike?

envirodiver
10-15-2007, 17:40
I'm planning to start at Springer and head north for 85-100 miles, which would be section 1 through section 11, maybe 12. I'm checking into how many days I have, when exactly I can start, etc. I'm not a huge miles/day guy and a bit out of prime condition. So I figure to do 8.5 - 12 miles per day.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at it and start to finalize this plan. This will be a big help.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 17:47
Sure - all feedback is good. If there is anything that needs changed let me know. Too often everyone trys to be nice and say it was great, but feedback that points out problems actually makes changes. So format, font, or whatever is good to know.

Next question - you found all the maps for that section yet?

hopefulhiker
10-15-2007, 17:51
I am going to have to add that to my "Trails to Hike" list....

Sly
10-15-2007, 18:06
Next question - you found all the maps for that section yet?

Which maps are best to use and what do they cover?

envirodiver
10-15-2007, 18:40
Regardin maps, I have some, from other hikes in various areas (Citigo, Big Frog, Cahutta) but I did locate on here somewhere that you had posted some maps that actualy had the trail on them. I'll dig in here and find those. I downloaded 1 and the resolution was good, so I don't se a problem going with those. I also have the BMT databook from the BMTA, was that a starting point for your's? And I have a trailguide for the BMT by Tim Homan that gets me to the Ocoee.

MOWGLI
10-15-2007, 18:42
Great trail! Nice article. Can anyone pick out the error in the article? That's kind of a trick question, but if you know the trail route, you can figure it out pretty easily. I know that Gene Roll and Sarge would know.

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 18:47

Just before the trail crosses Rt 76 at Cherry Log (south of Blue Ride) there's a long streach of vacant rd with woods on one side and a field on the other. My buddies stached some food there. Some critter did get into their food but you shouldn't have a problem with the camo box.

There is a gas station about 3 miles down RT 76 if you turn right toward Blue Ridge. A CHevron Staton I believe. It was an easy hitch because of the female I was with. It would probably have been a long walk just by myself.

05 we spotted a car one year at Thunder Rock Campground without any problem. Last year I left my car there for another week without any problem. That would be the place to leave it if you're going that far.

MOWGLI
10-15-2007, 18:53
There is a gas station about 3 miles down RT 76 if you turn right toward Blue Ridge. A CHevron Staton I believe. It was an easy hitch because of the female I was with. It would probably have been a long walk just by myself.

Hey Hokey Pokey! I was with Youngblood when we reached US 76, so I didn't get any ride and had to walk the whole way. If he were only prettier.. :eek: ;)

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 18:57
Here is what I know about maps and why I brought it up:

From Springer to about 11.5 miles up the BMT you can use AT map #1.

From that point at 11.5 there is no map company that makes a trail topo map for the BMT for the next section until about mile 56.3 I think. That is an issue that the BMTA is working on. They make a set you get with your membership but the quality sucks (IMO) and it is out of date. I fixed this with a file I created: http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga2.pdf
It ain't perfect - but it is better than anything else. You can print it on 3 pages of 8.5 x 11 paper for the maps - and another page for the profiles if you print them all front to back. If you are going to hike the section you are planning to go on, most likely you will want this too. I actually made this set so you don't have to carry that Springer AT map for a measly little 11 mile section - so this set will get you from Springer to Big Flat Mountain.

Then from that point until you get to the end of the section you are talking you will want Trails Illustrated map #781.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 19:05
Just before the trail crosses Rt 76 at Cherry Log (south of Blue Ride) there's a long streach of vacant rd with woods on one side and a field on the other. My buddies stached some food there. Some critter did get into their food but you shouldn't have a problem with the camo box.

05 we spotted a car one year at Thunder Rock Campground without any problem. Last year I left my car there for another week without any problem. That would be the place to leave it if you're going that far.
Hey Hikerhead - I was planning to recon Thunder Rock for just this issue. Do you have any reccomendations about where to park or what to do about your car there? I figure if the weather stays good I can be there in about a week and I may walk north from there if the weather is still nice when I get there instead of leaving the trail at that point for an R&R zero.

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 19:06
Hey Hokey Pokey! I was with Youngblood when we reached US 76, so I didn't get any ride and had to walk the whole way. If he were only prettier.. :eek: ;)

I know what you mean. # 1 hitch hiking rule...do it with a chic. :)

We took 5 steps down the road and hear tires screeching behind us trying to stop.

On the way back a guy was going the other way and turned around to pick us up.

It was the beauty of the Bluebearee.

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 19:27
Hey Hikerhead - I was planning to recon Thunder Rock for just this issue. Do you have any reccomendations about where to park or what to do about your car there? I figure if the weather stays good I can be there in about a week and I may walk north from there if the weather is still nice when I get there instead of leaving the trail at that point for an R&R zero.

You drive right behind the power station and at the parking lot go to the right which puts you right back beside the power station. I never been there at night but I imagine it's lit up pretty good from the PS. That part of the parking lot is out of the main stream of traffic and with the power station workers looking right down on your car, it's about as safe a place to park as you'll going to get. It was good to see you and the family at Gathering.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 19:29
You drive right behind the power station and at the parking lot go to the right which puts you right back beside the power station. I never been there at night but I imagine it's lit up pretty good from the PS. That part of the parking lot is out of the main stream of traffic and with the power station workers looking right down on your car, it's about as safe a place to park as you'll going to get. It was good to see you and the family at Gathering.
Good to see you too. And thanks for the parking tip. I plan to use that information and it saves me a driving trip.

MOWGLI
10-15-2007, 19:31

When Youngblood & I hiked the first 93 miles of the BMT, he left his truck at Thunder Rock for 6 days without incident. It's a Forest Service campground, and gets lots of visitation from paddlers, hikers, mountain bikers, and the like. Of course, something could always happen, but that's the case everywhere. Si

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 19:33
Next question about that location. Did you look for any pay phones or try your cell phone for reception at that point?

MOWGLI
10-15-2007, 19:38
Next question about that location. Did you look for any pay phones or try your cell phone for reception at that point?

Cell phone reception is sketchy in the gorge. You might get a signal atop Big Frog. The Whitewater Center about 2 miles from the campground has a payphone.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 19:45
Cell phone reception is sketchy in the gorge. You might get a signal atop Big Frog. The Whitewater Center about 2 miles from the campground has a payphone.
That is good information. I am thinking this is also a good check in point for the wife. So I can get to the car, resupply, and if I decide to walk on I can call home and let her know I am still walking. Another option we have talked is to get to the car - jump up to Deals Gap and walk south to this point and then call for a lift home. That information helps me to know that these are valid options.

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 19:50
When Youngblood & I hiked the first 93 miles of the BMT, he left his truck at Thunder Rock for 6 days without incident. It's a Forest Service campground, and gets lots of visitation from paddlers, hikers, mountain bikers, and the like. Of course, something could always happen, but that's the case everywhere. Si

I was just thrilled that I got thru Big Frog without getting lost. With all the trail signs chewed away by the bears, I followed the little wooden diamonds someone had placed on the trees and sign post. I wonder if they're still there? The 5 dollar map set from the BMT came in handy in here.

Tha Wookie
10-15-2007, 19:55
Hey great story thanks for the heads up rock.

Hey, by the way..... have you ever been to the Green Parrot in Key West?

I got a coaster from there for you. Their blog might help help explain why.

http://greenparrotbar.blogspot.com/

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 19:59
Howdy Wookie, I was hoping to see you at the Gathering.

I haven't been there, but a couple of people have pointed that out to me. Sounds like my kind of place.

MOWGLI
10-15-2007, 20:09
That is good information. I am thinking this is also a good check in point for the wife. So I can get to the car, resupply, and if I decide to walk on I can call home and let her know I am still walking. Another option we have talked is to get to the car - jump up to Deals Gap and walk south to this point and then call for a lift home. That information helps me to know that these are valid options.

Ducktown is about 5 miles east on US 64. Full resupply there. Mind you, I'm not sure if the pay phone at the Whitewater Center is inside or out. The place has odd hours. Suggest you Google it and call them for specifics.

SGT Rock
10-15-2007, 20:19
Ducktown is about 5 miles east on US 64. Full resupply there. Mind you, I'm not sure if the pay phone at the Whitewater Center is inside or out. The place has odd hours. Suggest you Google it and call them for specifics.
Their phone number and web site is in my guide ;)

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 20:45
First hand knowledge. The Chevron n 76 had Gatoraid, Ice Cream, Hot Dogs, Nabs and a pay phone. They need a Burger King at that location.

envirodiver
10-15-2007, 23:02
Great info everyone. Helps me to put the plan together.

Sounds like Thunderhead may be a good take-out point and it may be a good idea to tie the ammo box full of resupply to a tree, for those animals that like to take things away for later

envirodiver
10-15-2007, 23:07

From that point at 11.5 there is no map company that makes a trail topo map for the BMT for the next section until about mile 56.3 I think. That is an issue that the BMTA is working on. They make a set you get with your membership but the quality sucks (IMO) and it is out of date. I fixed this with a file I created: http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/missing_ga2.pdf
It ain't perfect - but it is better than anything else. You can print it on 3 pages of 8.5 x 11 paper for the maps - and another page for the profiles if you print them all front to back. If you are going to hike the section you are planning to go on, most likely you will want this too. I actually made this set so you don't have to carry that Springer AT map for a measly little 11 mile section - so this set will get you from Springer to Big Flat Mountain.

Then from that point until you get to the end of the section you are talking you will want Trails Illustrated map #781.

These are the maps I was talking about. Great job Rock! I'll print these out and at least bag them. maybe even put some of that paper sealer on them to make them more permanent.

Sly
10-15-2007, 23:25
These are the maps I was talking about. Great job Rock! I'll print these out...

I just tried and found out I was out of colored ink! :mad:

Hikerhead
10-15-2007, 23:55

Excellent map Rock. I noticed one water source not marked. One of the toughest climb in this secton is Wallalah Mtn. A 1/4 mile or so after crossing the top and walking downhill heading north there's a small campsite on the right hand side of the trail. Look closely and you may see a blue blaze on a tree. Follow that downhill about 100 yards and you'll come to a spring. The blaze was very very faint when we went through. On your map I would say it feeds the creek that's on the right hand side. If you didn't fill up at that Dixie Store you'll going to be thirsty when you get here. A maintainer on the trail clued us in on this or else we would have walked right by it.

Also, after you cross Shallow Ford Bridge, I remember about 5 miles of road walking to the trail head for the water fall.

Our first campsite was at Bryson Gap if I remember right. There's a nice spring there too.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 07:28
There is supposed to be a relo in that area now - but I don't have the data.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit...

Also, I didn't make those maps exactly. I had to do some searching myself and found them on a site called Georgia Hikes: http://www.georgiahikes.com/main.asp

Once I found them, I realized they were not all set up the best way for printing out and also figured out that the profiles were all made on different scales and even had some missing sections. So I used graphics utilities to string the maps together and then cut them back up again into the right sized areas for printing efficiently and getting the most map and area on as few sheets as possible. Then I did some creative resampling of the profiles to get them all to the same scale. Finally I got a graphing utility and plotted the elevation profile for the missing section to complete the profile and posted points on that. After all that was done I used Adobe Acrobat Pro to make a file that anyone could read or use.

So Georgia Hikes deserves credit for making those maps, all I did is make a hiker friendly package. What I did is find a color laser printer and bought some of that waterproof laser printer paper and made my own waterproof map set that way.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 08:03
Hey, while I have the attention of a small audience of hikers for the BMT - one thing I have been looking at with the guide is the font. The arial 9 point font looks bigger in Excel, but by the time it goes through everything (Excel to Adobe, Adobe to the printer) the print is sort of small. I'm not sure if it is just me and my eyes or if it really is an issue.

Anyone looking at that guide got an opinion? Should I raise the font pitch or change the font to a serif?

Another question: Town maps. In the first draft of this I had a town map for Cherokee since it is a little off the trail and spread out. In an effort to make the file smaller I deleted it - I figured a hiker can smell resturants and the cheap hotels are right as you get into town too, so they were really not that necissary IMO. And guides like the Companion don't have maps for similar towns like G-Burg. So any opinion on town maps.

envirodiver
10-16-2007, 08:19
Regarding the font it is small, but I have to wear reading glasses anyway, so not a huge deal for me. If you turned it to portrait and enlarged the font it would add 2 pages front and back I think. Might be worth a shot for ease of reading.

As far as town maps. I would like to know which direction the town is in and how far. But these little small towns don't really need a map of them IMO.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 09:37
Well what I was going to do is just raise the font pitch a bit. My goal is to make the guide where you can fold it along the center of the page and staple it yourself if you want to make a pocket sized guide.

Ewker
10-16-2007, 09:43
I think it would help to make the font a little larger. I printed it out and it is readable as long as I have my glasses on :D

Sarge, I noticed the maps are labeled as missing_ga2 I am guessing these replace the 1st ones you did. Also how does the maps in Tim Homans book compare to yours. Has a lot been changed since he did the maps.

Looks like this thread will be bookmarked. Lots of good info on it

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 11:04
I have to use reading glasses too.

Well the missing GA2 is just the cut up version, ga1 is one HUGE map and has never been uploaded that I recall. This is the same set I created last year in Iraq.

I haven't seen Tim Homan's book.

envirodiver
10-16-2007, 11:55
Homan's book is available at amazon.com. I haven't had a chance to check the accuracy, but historically his books are good. His Citigo/Joyce Kilmer is probably the best trailguide I've ever used.

The thing about his BMT book: it's fairly old and only goes through Section 12 (to the Ocoee). So he did it before the trail was complete.

Hikerhead
10-16-2007, 13:13
Hey, while I have the attention of a small audience of hikers for the BMT - one thing I have been looking at with the guide is the font. The arial 9 point font looks bigger in Excel, but by the time it goes through everything (Excel to Adobe, Adobe to the printer) the print is sort of small. I'm not sure if it is just me and my eyes or if it really is an issue.

Anyone looking at that guide got an opinion? Should I raise the font pitch or change the font to a serif?

Another question: Town maps. In the first draft of this I had a town map for Cherokee since it is a little off the trail and spread out. In an effort to make the file smaller I deleted it - I figured a hiker can smell resturants and the cheap hotels are right as you get into town too, so they were really not that necissary IMO. And guides like the Companion don't have maps for similar towns like G-Burg. So any opinion on town maps.

It's looks very readable to me when I bring it up to 100%. The spring I was talking about, it's on Licklog Mtn instead of Wallalah Mtn. Trail towns.. just show me how to get there, how far it is, and what it has to offer.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 13:59
I've made a larger print version during lunch today. When I get home I will convert it to PDF and put it up.

envirodiver
10-16-2007, 14:47
Groovy I'll be looking for it.

Is it currently in a word format? If so could I have it in that format? I'd like to play with it...maybe using some color coding or something along those lines, to tie it to the maps. Something that I can glance at and quickly see where I am and get caught up with what's coming. I'm bad about losing my place on the map/trailguide and having to spend time locating it.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 15:01
Actually it is in Excel format because of some stuff I am doing to make updates for re-locations easier. If you want it I can post the current Excel document.

Skidsteer
10-16-2007, 15:05
Actually it is in Excel format because of some stuff I am doing to make updates for re-locations easier. If you want it I can post the current Excel document.

I'd like to have it in Excel. Thanks!

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 16:01
Here is the version I was working on today. The changes are mainly format and trying to shorten up some of the descriptions without removing information.

envirodiver
10-16-2007, 16:07
Thanks Rock Excel is perfect. After I get done with whatever I do (which may be nothing) I'll let you know.

SGT Rock
10-16-2007, 16:09
Sure. If you make any changes or comments - put them in some other color or something and shoot me a copy back. If you look at how I put it together using Excel will suddenly make sense.

envirodiver
10-16-2007, 17:03
excel is the perfect format. It allows you to easily keep the running mileage total, easy to keep a tabular format also. It may take me a little while, but I'm going to try and compare all of the various resources and see the differences.

Certainly not questioning yours, I'm sure it's correct, just another set of eyes.

Hikerhead
10-16-2007, 18:27
Here is the version I was working on today. The changes are mainly format and trying to shorten up some of the descriptions without removing information.

That is really nice. I could add a few things but I don't have excel on my home computer. I might PM you a few things that you might want to add but you have it covered pretty good.

Sly
10-16-2007, 18:33
That is really nice. I could add a few things but I don't have excel on my home computer. I might PM you a few things that you might want to add but you have it covered pretty good.

You can get an Excel viewer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN) free from MS.

For viewing and printing, but not editing.

Appalachian Tater
10-16-2007, 18:53
You can get OpenOffice free:
http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

or use Google Docs online:
http://docs.google.com/

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 08:53
excel is the perfect format. It allows you to easily keep the running mileage total, easy to keep a tabular format also. It may take me a little while, but I'm going to try and compare all of the various resources and see the differences.

Certainly not questioning yours, I'm sure it's correct, just another set of eyes.
No offense. Other eyes are a good idea. I also plan to update the thing during my hike by making notes on it. I'm also planning a zero at the house before I enter the Smokies - so I can do some updates to the file if the mood strikes me.

Sure, PM me. I may use what you send me. If you can get something to edit the file with - then make notations and highlight them or something so I can see what you add - or sticke 'em in a cell off to the side of the main listing in the non-print area.

You can get an Excel viewer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN) free from MS.

I've used that before - it works well. I've also been experimenting with some web applications for this so a person can bring up the file, make their own extra notations, and then print their own guide. COOL! The problem for now is you must have Excel installed on your PC for it to work.

You can get OpenOffice free:
http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

or use Google Docs online:
http://docs.google.com/

And finally, thanks for this link. I'll look into this becuse this may solve the issue I am having above. My goal is to come up with a file that can be shared where people can add their own information to their guide prior to printing. So say envirodiver wants to add a notation to LickLog mountain because he heard there is a watersource on WhiteBlaze - he can stick that in. Or if Skidsteer wanted to put notations about where he plans to camp and re-supply on his guide before he prints it - he can do that.

MOWGLI
10-17-2007, 09:15
OK, so I guess nobody noticed that in the NY Times article, Whigg Meadow is listed as being in the Smoky Mountains. It isn't. It's in the Cherokee NF south of the Smokies.

That was the error in the article that I referred to earlier in the thread.

Sly
10-17-2007, 09:58
OK, so I guess nobody noticed that in the NY Times article, Whigg Meadow is listed as being in the Smoky Mountains. It isn't. It's in the Cherokee NF south of the Smokies.

That was the error in the article that I referred to earlier in the thread.

I saw that but thought it may be technically correct, just not in the Great Smokies. Kind of like the Sierras and the High Sierras. What say you?

Tha Wookie
10-17-2007, 17:34

score! thanks rock!

SGT Rock
10-17-2007, 17:42
Your welcome Wookie.

Hikerhead
10-21-2007, 21:28
Who's going to the BMT annual meeting? I am.

http://www.bmta.org/

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 21:29
I'd like to, but we haven't made plans yet.

Hikerhead
10-21-2007, 21:32
I put it under the wrong thread and you answered before I could fix it. But hey, I hope you can make it.

SGT Rock
10-21-2007, 21:36
LOL, and I also answered the same way in the other thread.

envirodiver
10-26-2007, 20:57
I'm planning to hike in on Nov. 10 and come out around Nov 20 (flexible on that working on rides and car drops). If anyone would be interested in joining for a day or all let me know.

Warning: I'm not looking to do a bunch of mile pounding days. Just a relaxing decompression trip, 10 miles give or take per day.

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 08:28
I saw that but thought it may be technically correct, just not in the Great Smokies. Kind of like the Sierras and the High Sierras. What say you?

No, I think Whigg Meadow is well south of the Smokies. I think Whigg may actually be part of the Snowbird Mountains. I'd be interested to hear from more knowlegable folks than me though.

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 08:29
I'm planning to hike in on Nov. 10 and come out around Nov 20 (flexible on that working on rides and car drops). If anyone would be interested in joining for a day or all let me know.

Warning: I'm not looking to do a bunch of mile pounding days. Just a relaxing decompression trip, 10 miles give or take per day.

What 100 miles are you talking about? In the Smokies?

envirodiver
10-27-2007, 11:54
I'm planning to start at the begining.

troglobil
10-27-2007, 14:26

Thanks Sly, It has been a PITA sometimes waiting till I get to work to open some documents.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 10:48
Did some checking around and I now have some updates for the guide. I found a country store 0.6 miles from the trail that was not previously listed. It is in a good place to want to buy some groceries too.

Sly
10-29-2007, 11:52
Thanks Sly, It has been a PITA sometimes waiting till I get to work to open some documents.

No problem, I use it too since I have MS Works (with Word) on my computer which doesn't include Excel, but Spreadsheet.

I know this is off topic but if you're a student, MS is selling Office Ultimate 2007 for $59 (http://www.theultimatesteal.com/eligibility.asp). It normally cost $600! Almost makes me want to go back to school.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 12:03
Another thing to do is look for someone unloading an older copy of office. I plan to make these documents compatable with older versions.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 12:21
Here is the updated guide with what information I found on my recent trip. I have also tweaked the fonts a little to make it easier to read - but that added a page to my guide. Oh well...:rolleyes:

Pennsylvania Rose
10-29-2007, 13:05
Nice job! The BMT just keeps sucking me in more and more. Funny, I had just downloaded your previous version this morning. One problem I had with the new version - for some of the long descriptions (ex. mile 45.9), I had to manually expand the rows so I could read all the info. The last sentence or two in each row was cut off. I don't know if it's just my computer messing with the formatting, though.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 13:32
What you may find is they don't show up well at whatever zoom level you are using for viewing the data, but if you do a print preview they show up fine - I find this myself. I did a test prrint today and have refined it to the level where I can read it without my reading glasses - and that is while still printing 2 pages on each side of 8.5" x 11" paper.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-29-2007, 13:41
Now that I look at my printout, everything seems to be fine, except for mi 191.8 - "time to read it" is cut off. No biggie. And I, too, appriciate the larger type!!! I was going to have to print the other version one page per side 'cause I couldn't read it.

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 13:43
Now that I look at my printout, everything seems to be fine, except for mi 191.8 - "time to read it" is cut off. No biggie. And I, too, appriciate the larger type!!! I was going to have to print the other version one page per side 'cause I couldn't read it.
That may be because I just chaged the format - I may have missed re-sizing a block when I did that. I'll look at 191.8. Thanks!

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 14:15
For the excel challenged, here is the latest PDF