PDA

View Full Version : politics thread?

Kirby
10-08-2007, 13:22
Where is this forum/thread? I can not seem to find it.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 13:25
Click on "Private Messages" and then on the bottom left under Miscellaneous, click on Group Memberships and subscribe. Some people can't handle non-hiking discussions or don't want to be bothered with them so they are optional.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 13:28
Based on some of your participation in earlier threads Kirby - I strongly advise you think about opting to stay out of that forum section.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 13:34
It's not that I want to participate, I just want to read some of the threads and see what people are talking about related to politics, anyway to read the threads without participating?

Kirby

Freeleo
10-08-2007, 13:36
just subcribe and read the threads:)

dixicritter
10-08-2007, 13:40
I have to agree with Rock here Kirby, even reading in there can be frustrating beyond belief. Trust me on this one. That area is not moderated like the rest of the site, and tends to get pretty ugly. I actually just opted out myself.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 13:41
I am going to subscribe just to read it and see if it is something that I would enjoy reading, if not, I will opt out within minutes, thanks for the advice, I will not post either way, I am to young to be debating with grown men and women about issues they have lived longer with.

Kirby

Smile
10-08-2007, 13:41
A united front of opinion :)

Good advice for sure.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 13:44
Changed my mind, no threads were appearing anyway once I subscribed.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 13:52

Kirby

You might need to clear your cache.

You'll be eligible to vote when you turn 18 and to serve in the armed forces when you turn 17. Please start thinking and talking about political things before you vote or enlist in the military.

Your presumption that you are not old enough to join in the political discussions on WhiteBlaze because of the great maturity of the participants may not be correct.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 13:56
How do I clear my cache?

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 13:58
For MS Internet Explorer:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx

Johnny Thunder
10-08-2007, 14:01
Kirb,

If you get intimidated by the Political (rhetoric) Forum, I suggest you take the following steps:

1. Print out a few of the topics and review them while sitting on the John.

2. Pick your favorite one or two and rehearse with a friend.

3. Turn on "Crossfire" or "The O'Reily Factor" or any other poli-pundit show and hit "mute"

4. Then read the posts in time with your favorite talking heads. You and friend can trade off turns as the "pissed off white trash redneck conservative" and "aging liberal hippie d****e".

5. Form a rational opinion and vote.

6. Go to college.

7. Take over the world.

Johnny

Kirby
10-08-2007, 14:02
Where are these threads supposed to appear once you subscribe?

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 14:19
Kirby, I just usually hit "new posts" at the top of the page and the political threads just appear mixed in with the rest, sorted by time. You could also hit "Forums" at the top of the true homepage and then scroll down to the politics forum. I'm wondering if you actually got subscribed.

Johnny Thunder is a good example of a fairly young person with better insight than most of the older posters. Unfortunately, just reading all of his posts won't do them justice as they have to be seen in context to give them their true value.

Not sure what a "d****e" is, but his above advice is pretty accurate. His stereotypes accurately reflect not only the "Rhetoric" thread here, but perhaps the political divisions seen in the country at large. That's the way I've interpreted it, too.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 14:33
Found them, I will only post when confirming something is true, if I know it to be true, or asking a question to clarify the conversation, as I have done thus far there.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 14:38
Found them, I will only post when confirming something is true, if I know it to be true, or asking a question to clarify the conversation, as I have done thus far there.

Kirby

That is generally a wise course and one little followed. (Myself not excluded.)

saimyoji
10-08-2007, 14:41
...clarify the conversation,...

Damn, good luck with that. ;)

Kirby
10-08-2007, 14:43
By clarify the conversation I mean ask a question to better understand the thread.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 15:01
By clarify the conversation I mean ask a question to better understand the thread.

Kirby

O RLY?

Spraying gasoline on a fire doesn't help you discover its source.

weary
10-08-2007, 15:26
....Your presumption that you are not old enough to join in the political discussions on WhiteBlaze because of the great maturity of the participants may not be correct.
Or more accurately, "isn't correct."

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 15:28
Or more accurately, "isn't correct."

I try to leave myself little escape hatches, Mr. Best & Brightest! :D

Manach
10-08-2007, 16:35
I am too young to be debating with grown men and women about issues they have lived longer with.

That may be the smartest thing anyone has ever said.

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 17:17

Yes. It's clear Kirby will not be a good fit for the politics forum. :D

Kirby
10-08-2007, 17:27
I refuse to let anyone spread lies though, my opinion will be known.

Kirby

mudhead
10-08-2007, 17:31
I can't wait until Chain Mail and The Weasel agree to disagree.

Johnny Thunder
10-08-2007, 17:31

Kirby

Kirby...........don't.........participate.......af ter.....you..........said......you......wouldn't.. ....they'll......label......you.......a.........fl ipflopper.........and........not.......the.......h iker.......kind.

Jimmers
10-08-2007, 17:32

Kirby

It's difficult to seperate spreading lies from just outright trolling for an argument. Don't take anything in the political forums too seriously. You have better things to spend your time on.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 17:43
I am no longer subscribed to that thread, that was a big enough dosage for me.

Kirby

Nest
10-08-2007, 17:49
I am no longer subscribed to that thread, that was a big enough dosage for me.

Kirby

Two things I never talk about with strangers, politics and religion. No one ever walks away happy.

My pappy taught me that one. Then he told me to leave him alone and go play on the interstate.

hopefulhiker
10-08-2007, 17:58
Enter the political forum at your own risk...

Toolshed
10-08-2007, 18:03
Enter the political forum at your own risk...
Now that's funny coming from a trollster!!!!! :rolleyes:

Toolshed
10-08-2007, 18:08
It's not that I want to participate, I just want to read some of the threads ....

I am going to subscribe just to read it and see if it is something that I would enjoy reading .... I will not post either way...

....I will only post when confirming something is true, if I know it to be true...

I am no longer subscribed to that thread...
Wow!!! Zero to 180 and back to a dead stop. You SHOULD be working for John Kerry!!!!:D

rafe
10-08-2007, 18:09
You SHOULD be working for John Kerry!!!!:D

Talk about beating a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Kirby
10-08-2007, 18:10
Your about 3 years too late on that comment.

Kirby

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 18:14
Talk about beating a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Your about 3 years too late on that comment.

Kirby

Whaddya mean? Someone beats a dead horse everyday on WB. Especially in the Politics forum. :p

weary
10-08-2007, 18:24
Your about 3 years too late on that comment. Kirby
And besides that, he's wrong about Kerry flipping. Kerry's big mistake was to seek the presidency by dealing with legitimate issues. And, of course, waiting too long to rebut the lies that were being said about his heroic service in vietnam.

Weary

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 18:29
And besides that, he's wrong about Kerry flipping. Kerry's big mistake was to seek the presidency by dealing with legitimate issues. And, of course, waiting too long to rebut the lies that were being said about his heroic service in vietnam.

Weary

He thought the American people were too smart to fall for that. He should have stood up and said he was proud of his war record and pointed his finger at George W. Bush and called him an A.W.O.L. coward on television.

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 18:30
Hey, Mods, time to move this one to the Politics Forum!

Manach
10-08-2007, 19:22

In retrospect, that was really bad wording on my part. I actually meant that it's very uncommon for the inexperienced to yield to the experienced, and was complimenting Kirby for stating his willingness to do so.

Instead, I managed to insult the poor kid. Real sorry about that, Kirby.

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 19:36
I am to young to be debating with grown men and women about issues they have lived longer with.

In retrospect, that was really bad wording on my part. I actually meant that it's very uncommon for the inexperienced to yield to the experienced, and was complimenting Kirby for stating his willingness to do so.

Instead, I managed to insult the poor kid. Real sorry about that, Kirby.

Nah. Read it again. I was goofing on the politicos on the politics forum. Me included.;)

Heater
10-08-2007, 19:44
I have to agree with Rock here Kirby, even reading in there can be frustrating beyond belief. Trust me on this one. That area is not moderated like the rest of the site, and tends to get pretty ugly. I actually just opted out myself.

So, now we can talk about you all we want, right? :D

dixicritter
10-08-2007, 19:48

Matters not to me. :sun

Heater
10-08-2007, 20:01
Wow!!! Zero to 180 and back to a dead stop. You SHOULD be working for John Kerry!!!!:D

Wow!

Don't even need to be subbed to (or in) the poly forums to get SLAMMED!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa HA HA.

Classic. :D

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 20:18
Don't make me beat you.

Jimmers
10-08-2007, 20:20
I was going to remind you to watch out for Sgt Rock, but I see I'm too late. Watch your six.:D

Heater
10-08-2007, 20:47
I was going to remind you to watch out for Sgt Rock, but I see I'm too late. Watch your six.:D

Hey, it was intended to be a compliment! :sun

Sometimes I am so misunderstood... :-?

ed bell
10-08-2007, 22:05
Don't make me beat you.
Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night:cool:

Gray Blazer
10-09-2007, 07:53

Weary
Kerry served in Viet Nam? You're kidding.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2007, 07:55
his heroic service in vietnam.

what exactly did he do that was heroic?

Appalachian Tater
10-09-2007, 07:57
Kerry hunted down AWOL Bush and shot him in the a** with rubber bullets.

Toolshed
10-09-2007, 09:32

.....I imagine it is pretty hard to fight and videotape yourself at the same time.

dixicritter
10-09-2007, 09:51
Y'all know you are supposed to keep the political discussions in the political forum... come on now.

weary
10-09-2007, 11:06
I wasn't there Lone Wolf, but he did win a silver star, a bronze star or two and three purple hearts. I refuse to believe that a military made up of the best and the brightest and the confident and dependable would award such medals without thorough and top quality research and without having total confidence in the facts.

To suggest otherwise is an insult to our brave troops.

Weary

Creek Dancer
10-09-2007, 11:08
Never mind

saimyoji
10-09-2007, 11:15
Y'all know you are supposed to keep the political discussions in the political forum... come on now.

A thread titled "politics thread" can only end up discussing one thing.....:rolleyes:

saimyoji
10-09-2007, 11:16
A thread titled "politics thread" can only end up discussing one thing.....:rolleyes:

...Warren's bridge jumping techniques. :D

Johnny Thunder
10-09-2007, 12:00

As proven by Matthewski's dissertation on Bacon contained in one of the Escape From Philly threads...If you're going to reach orbit of the fattest city you're gonna lose some back bacon.

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 12:25
more politics

Smile
10-09-2007, 14:30
Kirby, you're gonna make a great hiker. :)

Flush2wice
10-09-2007, 16:22
If Kirby reads the Political forum at least he'll know who's hiking advice not to take.

rafe
10-09-2007, 17:00
If Kirby reads the Political forum at least he'll know who's hiking advice not to take.

???? Does not compute.

Kirby
10-09-2007, 20:13
I will not judge any hikers credentials based on their political views. I am not longer part of that forum, so no worries there.

Kirby

weary
10-09-2007, 21:38
.....Sometimes I am so misunderstood... :-?
Though occasionally, I think it deliberate. If so I sometimes get pissed off.

naturejunkie
10-10-2007, 10:15
I will not judge any hikers credentials based on their political views. I am not longer part of that forum, so no worries there.

Kirby

Wise statement. However, I think judging based on how they deliver those views would be completely fair and reasonable. It always amazes me how "courageous" people get when they can hide behind their computer. Suddenly they feel comfortable attempting to insult, demean and otherwise attack people on a personal level. Somehow I doubt they would feel quite so confident in person.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 11:03
And that is the reason we let people say such things on the board. Your opinion about someone and their judgement and advice can come from not only talking about the utilities of filters and stove performance - but how they handle themselves on a variety of situations.

rafe
10-10-2007, 11:47
And that is the reason we let people say such things on the board. Your opinion about someone and their judgement and advice can come from not only talking about the utilities of filters and stove performance - but how they handle themselves on a variety of situations.

Well, here's the thing, Rock. I agree with Jack or LW 90% of the time on matters strictly related to hiking. On matters relating to politics, never. The internet makes a poor forum for passionate and subjective topics.

Smile
10-10-2007, 11:51
A "Political Forum Ruck" would be worth buying tickets to see :)

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 11:55
Well, here's the thing, Rock. I agree with Jack or LW 90% of the time on matters strictly related to hiking. On matters relating to politics, never. The internet makes a poor forum for passionate and subjective topics.
Absolutly agree. But there are people that really show how dumb they are over there - then the gear suggestions they make later start making sense to me. At least that is a trend I have spotted in some of the users.

Cookerhiker
10-10-2007, 12:16

Kirby

Wise statement. However, I think judging based on how they deliver those views would be completely fair and reasonable. It always amazes me how "courageous" people get when they can hide behind their computer. Suddenly they feel comfortable attempting to insult, demean and otherwise attack people on a personal level. Somehow I doubt they would feel quite so confident in person.

That's the dilemma for me and for that reason, I've steered away from responding and weighing on the political issues lately. I'm very much a political animal and for most of my adult life have battled the tendency to judge a person based on his/her politics.

I suspect it's not just me - we're all human and those of us with strong political views often find it very challenging to develop/maintain friendship with those of opposite political persuasions. I suspect if a WB poll asked for our favorite fellow WBers - those who we find "nice," good guys/girls, fun to hang around and/or hike with - the "winners" would be those who don't participate in the political debates.

And ideally it shouldn't be that way - we should respect each other as fellow human beings on this sphere and recognize that disagreement per se does not make us bad people. Also, we all have much more in common than we think on issues near and dear to us involving the Trail. I sometimes muse about how our collective passion could be put to good use for issues like protecting the Trail from unmitigated sprawl or supporting strong clean air and water safeguards.

But we'll disagree on many issues and that's OK - it's the American way. What's more important as others have said is that we do so in a civil manner and refrain from using insulting adjectives and nouns; instead address the issue and why you're position is what it is. I've been the target of insults on rare occasions but I try not to answer tit-for-tat in kind.

And I agree with the manner the WB management handles things. It's a tough balancing act and Rock,Dixie, Troll, and the moderators do a splendid job.

saimyoji
10-10-2007, 12:37
Absolutly agree. But there are people that really show how dumb they are over there - then the gear suggestions they make later start making sense to me. At least that is a trend I have spotted in some of the users.

Well, it only stands to reason that active posters here would know more about hiking than politics.

Now if that weren't the case....:-?

saimyoji
10-10-2007, 12:38
Well, it only stands to reason that active posters here would know more about hiking than politics.

Now if that weren't the case....:-?

Disclaimer: I don't claim to know much about either. But that won't stop me from reaching 2400 posts soon. :D