PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Amicalola Falls trip planning

deadhorsejoe
10-08-2007, 15:27
Need some help from the experts. My son and I are planning to hike from Neels gap to Amicalola Falls sometimes in the next several weeks. Our plan is to leave our car at Amicalola Falls and catch a shuttle to Neels Gap. We plan to leave Neels gap at approximately 2 pm in the afternoon and spend the next three days hiking back to Amicalola. We are in decent shape but certainly not mountain hardened. We have done 10 to 15 mile day hikes in the smokies for the last several years.

If you were doing this hike where would you camp each night. We will be tent camping.

Night one: (only have about 3 to 3.5 hours daylight because starting at 2 pm) I was thinking about Slaughter Gap??
Night two:
Night three:
Night four: Would like to be close to Springer Mountain so that we could hike back to Amicalola Falls via approach trail the next morning.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Phreak
10-08-2007, 16:10
Night one: Slaughter Gap or Bird Gap
Night two: Gooch Gap Shelter area (unrelaible water source) or Justus Creek
Night three: Hawk Mountain Shelter area or Long Creek Falls
Night four: Springer Mountain Shelter area or Black Gap Shelter (unreliable water source)

All of these areas have nice tent areas. Last I heard, there is no water between Neels Gap and Woody Gap. And none between Justus Creek and Hawk Mountain Shelter.

troglobil
10-08-2007, 17:35
What Phreak said, but get water at Stover Creek before heading to Springer. I was there a few weeks ago and water on Springer was almost non-existant.

Phreak
10-08-2007, 18:55
What Phreak said, but get water at Stover Creek before heading to Springer. I was there a few weeks ago and water on Springer was almost non-existant.

Thanks for the info. I am planning a trip with a friend up to Springer and was curious if the spring was dry or not.

Survivor Dave
10-08-2007, 19:00
Hey Joe,

Did you get my PM?

Survivor Dave

drdewrag
10-09-2007, 08:03
Definitely Bird Gap rather than Slaughter Gap... Slaughter Gap has been used and abused over the years. Saw my first bear there though...

Dances with Mice
10-09-2007, 08:49
Definitely Bird Gap rather than Slaughter Gap... Slaughter Gap has been used and abused over the years. Saw my first bear there though...Are you talking about the geologic Slaughter Gap or the Slaughter Gap campsite area? The AT's been relo'd away from Slaughter Gap, the true gap where 5 trails used to intersect. That area was severely abused but it's resting now. The Duncan Ridge and Slaughter Gap trails were also relocated.

Campsite areas were constructed a quarter mile or so trail south from the Gap just above the start of Slaughter Creek. The SG campsite area is very nice.

cowpoke
10-09-2007, 12:15
Just walked this section this past week. Was headed north though. Original plan was to walk to Fontana but got sick and left the trail at Woody Gap. No water on the Approach trail...none. You might plan on taking trail down Springer via the Hike Inn. No water at Springer Mtn shelter. Water at Davis creek and Stover creek but no water at Stover Creek shelter. Chester creek and three forks were both good water sources. No water at Hawk mtn shelter. Water at Justus creek. Just a trickle of water at Gooch Mtn shelter and I didn't find any more water before I walked off at Woody Gap into Suches. I'm feeling better now and heading up to NOC next week to walk from there to Fontana. Good luck with your walk.

bigmac_in
10-09-2007, 12:25
I'd definately go with Slaughter Creek campground area for night one. Go with Justus Creek on night 2, Long Creek falls, for night 3, and Springer Shelter area for night 4. Make sure you have water before heading up to Springer. Thats my 2 cents. Have fun - it's great hiking.

deadhorsejoe
10-09-2007, 15:20
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. It is a big help to those of us who do not know that area very well. I have done some hiking in the area of Blood Mountain but nothing farther south. I read the posts on Whiteblaze almost daily but rarely post mainly because I have little to offer. I am constantly amazed at how helpful people on this website can and will be to most who post questions. What a wonderful resource. Thanks again.

Dances with Mice
10-09-2007, 22:30
I'd definately go with Slaughter Creek campground area for night one. Go with Justus Creek on night 2, Long Creek falls, for night 3, and Springer Shelter area for night 4. Make sure you have water before heading up to Springer. Thats my 2 cents. Have fun - it's great hiking.Yep.

Slaughter Creek campsites for night one.

Second day shoot for Gooch Gap. When you get there evaluate your condition and decide if you want to push over another mountain to Justus Creek or not. Stay at either, it really won't matter.

Haul lots of water out of Justus Creek. There's a long dry spell coming up to get to Long Creek Falls on night 3. Camp anywhere between Long Creek and 3 Forks, there are dozens of camp sites to choose from.

The next day it's an easy walk up to Springer, might even consider stopping at the shelter immediately north of Springer (I'm blanking on its name), that would be closer to water.

Survivor Dave
10-09-2007, 22:50
Dances with Mice, that would be the New and improved Stover Creek Shelter. A nice place for sure. About 2 1/2 miles or so from the parking lot at FS 42.

Yep.

Slaughter Creek campsites for night one.

Second day shoot for Gooch Gap. When you get there evaluate your condition and decide if you want to push over another mountain to Justus Creek or not. Stay at either, it really won't matter.

Haul lots of water out of Justus Creek. There's a long dry spell coming up to get to Long Creek Falls on night 3. Camp anywhere between Long Creek and 3 Forks, there are dozens of camp sites to choose from.

The next day it's an easy walk up to Springer, might even consider stopping at the shelter immediately north of Springer (I'm blanking on its name), that would be closer to water.

Survivor Dave
10-09-2007, 22:51
There is plenty of water at the creek for sure.

scope
10-17-2007, 11:45
If you haven't left yet... here's my 2 cents as I was on this section 3 weeks ago.

Day1 - I'd hike on to Jarrard Gap which is mostly downhill all the way from Blood, and its the only reliable source of water in the area right now. Its 5m from Neels Gap, so its shouldn't be a problem in the 3 hrs you have. You might consider taking the Freeman trail around Blood to avoid the switchbacks going up the eastern slope, as the western (Nobo) slope is much easier. Its also a better option for getting to Jarrard Gap if you're running a little late.

Day2 - Should be pretty easy and I'd take advantage of it and go as far as you can. Justus Creek is 12m from Jarrard and that's very doable.

Day3 - The 6m to Hawk Mt shelter is difficult, very up and down, and you'll want to stop there for water and rest. The next 2.5m to Long Creek Falls is easy, lots of nice campsites. Note: another mile or so is Stover Creek which will be the last source of water for a while.

Day4 - I don't quite understand why everybody else is recommending stopping at Stover Creek, Springer, or Black Gap shelters. Even if you stopped at Hawk shelter the day before, that's not a lot of mileage for relatively easy hiking. From Longs Creek Falls, its about 7m to the Hike Inn cutoff trail off the approach trail, and another 1m to the Inn. That is the only place for water on the approach trail. Now, I haven't gone that way, I went over Frosty Mt and I know there are many good campsites from Frosty on towards Amicalola. So, if you backtrack to the approach trail from the Hike Inn to Frosty or just beyond, that will end up being 10 or so miles from Long Creek Falls. Again, very doable as the inclines are not terrible. The Hike Inn folks may be able to tell you if there are good campsites along that trail - I assume there are and that would be the way to go.

And here's another option based on my opinion... park at the lodge at the top of the falls and end your hike there. I was really disappointed with the East Inlet Ridge trail (I think thats the name) which is the part of the approach trail from the top of the falls to the visitor center. It was 3/4 gravel, 1/4 steep switchbacks. I'd have rather gone down the steps that run by the falls.

Gray Blazer
10-17-2007, 12:00
Watch out for gators. Whoops, I forgot, you're not afraid of them.

deadhorsejoe
10-17-2007, 12:45
If you haven't left yet... here's my 2 cents as I was on this section 3 weeks ago.

Day1 - I'd hike on to Jarrard Gap which is mostly downhill all the way from Blood, and its the only reliable source of water in the area right now. Its 5m from Neels Gap, so its shouldn't be a problem in the 3 hrs you have. You might consider taking the Freeman trail around Blood to avoid the switchbacks going up the eastern slope, as the western (Nobo) slope is much easier. Its also a better option for getting to Jarrard Gap if you're running a little late.

Day2 - Should be pretty easy and I'd take advantage of it and go as far as you can. Justus Creek is 12m from Jarrard and that's very doable.

Day3 - The 6m to Hawk Mt shelter is difficult, very up and down, and you'll want to stop there for water and rest. The next 2.5m to Long Creek Falls is easy, lots of nice campsites. Note: another mile or so is Stover Creek which will be the last source of water for a while.

Day4 - I don't quite understand why everybody else is recommending stopping at Stover Creek, Springer, or Black Gap shelters. Even if you stopped at Hawk shelter the day before, that's not a lot of mileage for relatively easy hiking. From Longs Creek Falls, its about 7m to the Hike Inn cutoff trail off the approach trail, and another 1m to the Inn. That is the only place for water on the approach trail. Now, I haven't gone that way, I went over Frosty Mt and I know there are many good campsites from Frosty on towards Amicalola. So, if you backtrack to the approach trail from the Hike Inn to Frosty or just beyond, that will end up being 10 or so miles from Long Creek Falls. Again, very doable as the inclines are not terrible. The Hike Inn folks may be able to tell you if there are good campsites along that trail - I assume there are and that would be the way to go.

And here's another option based on my opinion... park at the lodge at the top of the falls and end your hike there. I was really disappointed with the East Inlet Ridge trail (I think thats the name) which is the part of the approach trail from the top of the falls to the visitor center. It was 3/4 gravel, 1/4 steep switchbacks. I'd have rather gone down the steps that run by the falls.

Scope

Thanks much for your reply. My son and I did the hike this past weekend and had a great time. We were carrying too much weight because this was our first multiday trip. We started out with around 48 pound at Neels and were in the low 40 pounds when we finished. We were using Osprey Aether 70 packs and they handled the weight just fine but too much food, too many clothes, just too much of a lot of things. We still had a great time and learned what not to do next time. This is the way we did it.

Thursday afternoon:

Neels Gap to Slaughter Gap campsite - nice up and over but was tired with all the water and food in the pack. Little cold that night but with the bags that we had we were more than warm enough. I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger with a Big Agnes inflatable pad. Sleeps like a bed no matter what position you sleep in. A little on the heavy side but I may keep the setup because it is so comfortable.

Friday:

Slaughter Gap to Gooch Gap - no real problems. I posted a water situation report yesterday on the Trail Update section. Sleeping bags were too hot.

Saturday

Gooch Gap to a ridge above Hightower Gap - no real problems. We wanted to camp on a ridge so that we could listen to the Auburn - Arkansas game on our sirius radio. (another source of weight). Was worth it however as we won the game. Sleeping bags were too hot again.

Sunday

Hightower Gap to Amicalola Falls SP - We decide to step up the pace and if possible get to Amicalola Falls. We made it but in retrospect was not one of our better decisions. That was about a 16 or so mile day and my hips and knees felt like they were out of joint. I agree with you about the East Ridge Trail (something like that) into Amicalola Fall SP. Awful, but at that point I was in a pain-induced stupor and did not know what I was doing. Also, at that point we had been hiking in the dark for about 1.5 hours. Again much was learned and we are ready to do another section sometimes in the future but we are going to do a better job of intelligently packing next time. This time we did not know any better. Hopefully this will teach us something and we will do a better job next time.

deadhorsejoe
10-17-2007, 12:50
Watch out for gators. Whoops, I forgot, you're not afraid of them.

We are plenty scared of them. We have just been able to get by them without severe injury for the last two years.

scope
10-17-2007, 13:07
Sunday

Hightower Gap to Amicalola Falls SP - We decide to step up the pace and if possible get to Amicalola Falls. We made it but in retrospect was not one of our better decisions. That was about a 16 or so mile day and my hips and knees felt like they were out of joint. I agree with you about the East Ridge Trail (something like that) into Amicalola Fall SP. Awful, but at that point I was in a pain-induced stupor and did not know what I was doing. Also, at that point we had been hiking in the dark for about 1.5 hours. Again much was learned and we are ready to do another section sometimes in the future but we are going to do a better job of intelligently packing next time. This time we did not know any better. Hopefully this will teach us something and we will do a better job next time.

How funny, I did the same thing on my hike, although I started from Hawk shelter, so about a mile shorter. I developed blisters early (I think due to my feet expanding and rubbing the side of the heel cup) and nearly stopped at Black Gap shelter. We pushed to Frosty Mt. which was our originally intended destination to find a dozen pre-teens there already setting up camp. By that time, I knew I didn't want to hike the next day and was in a similar stupor as you mentioned, so we pushed on and made it to the visitors center around dusk, which was still about 8:30 at the time. One of my knees is still angry at me!

briarpatch
10-17-2007, 13:39
... (stuff deleted) ... And here's another option based on my opinion... park at the lodge at the top of the falls and end your hike there. I was really disappointed with the East Inlet Ridge trail (I think thats the name) which is the part of the approach trail from the top of the falls to the visitor center. It was 3/4 gravel, 1/4 steep switchbacks. I'd have rather gone down the steps that run by the falls.

The Approach Trail has been rerouted and DOES go up the steps beside the falls. I maintain section 1.1, which goes from the visitors center to the top of the falls. I don't have water bars to clean out, but I have to watch for termites in the wooden steps (grin).

Ewker
10-17-2007, 13:47
going up steps..suck