PDA

View Full Version : trailplace.com revival

Kirby
10-08-2007, 17:51
I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but someone offered to revive the trailplace.com website and continue the publication of the thru hikers handbook, below find the message from the site.

"As announced previously, I have found a highly qualified A.T. 2000 Miler who wants to continue updating and publishing The Thru-hiker's Handbook on an annual basis and who also wants to revive the Trailplace.com website as a place for good hiking information in an online environment of courtesy to others and respect for the wilderness values of the Trail. The transfer of ownership will take place on October 11th, and then I will be gone from the A.T. community. Collectors have two more days to buy any of the remaining items from my personal A.T. collection listed here before they are removed from sale.--Wingfoot"

Kirby

Toolshed
10-08-2007, 18:14
...."As announced previously, I have found a highly qualified A.T. 2000 Miler who wants to continue updating and publishing The Thru-hiker's Handbook on an annual basis and who also wants to revive the Trailplace.com website as a place for good hiking information in an online environment of courtesy to others and respect for the wilderness values of the Trail. The transfer of ownership will take place on October 11th, and then I will be gone from the A.T. community. Collectors have two more days to buy any of the remaining items from my personal A.T. collection listed here before they are removed from sale.--[I]Wingfoot"

Huh?!!!?? One of the longest goodbyes in history!!!
Just get'r done, WingFoot!!!!

generoll
10-08-2007, 18:19
oh god, it's back! and just when i thought WB was safe.

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 18:37
Not only did someone offer, they paid through the nose for the privilege. It will be interesting to see if and how they recoup their investment or if it will be a hobby.

The Old Fhart
10-08-2007, 18:54
Kirbyinanutshell232-"I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but someone offered to revive the trailplace.com website and continue the publication of the thru hikers handbook, below find the message from the site."Kinda reminds me of that old C&W song by Dan Hicks-"How can I miss you if you won't go away". ;)

Tin Man
10-08-2007, 19:13
It will be interesting to see who the "highly qualified 2000-miler" turns out to be.

Kirby
10-08-2007, 19:17
It will be interesting to see who the "highly qualified 2000-miler" turns out to be.

That is also something I am interested in.

Kirby

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 19:23
His name is Wangfoot.

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 19:25
His name is Wangfoot.

'Cause he really stepped on his **** this time.

Nest
10-08-2007, 19:25
His name is Wangfoot.

Wang is a dirty word unless you are Chineese.

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 19:28
If the purchaser is smart, he will operate the website under a cloud of corporate secrecy.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 19:28
Or a redneck saying the word wing.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 19:29
Cerbus, you are an OK guy. I hope to see you a lot on the trail LOL next year.

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 19:29
If the purchaser is smart, he will operate the website under a cloud of corporate secrecy.

...Or he could try something completely different.

Nest
10-08-2007, 19:30
Or a redneck saying the word wing.

Well, considering who you were talking about, the wang I was referring to fit him pretty well. I didn't say it was wrong, just dirty.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 19:33
It is that double entente thang ;)

Heater
10-08-2007, 19:36
I am not sure if this has been brought up yet, but someone offered to revive the trailplace.com website and continue the publication of the thru hikers handbook, below find the message from the site.

"As announced previously, I have found a highly qualified A.T. 2000 Miler who wants to continue updating and publishing The Thru-hiker's Handbook on an annual basis and who also wants to revive the Trailplace.com website as a place for good hiking information in an online environment of courtesy to others and respect for the wilderness values of the Trail. The transfer of ownership will take place on October 11th, and then I will be gone from the A.T. community. Collectors have two more days to buy any of the remaining items from my personal A.T. collection listed here before they are removed from sale.--Wingfoot"

Kirby

Please,try to keep up, nutshell. ;)

The Old Fhart
10-08-2007, 19:38
Skidsteer-"...Or he could try something completely different."Is clicking on THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3EP9So7lsQ&mode=related&search=) what you meant? :D

Skidsteer
10-08-2007, 19:40
Is clicking on THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3EP9So7lsQ&mode=related&search=) what you meant? :D

Yep. It does seem to be the theme of the day...:D

Heater
10-08-2007, 19:40
His name is Wangfoot.

His wang is on his foot?

Gives a whole new meaning to "kicking ass", huh? :-?

Toolshed
10-08-2007, 20:27
His wang is on his foot?

Gives a whole new meaning to "kicking ass", huh? :-?
Who said he was "Kicking" it??:eek:

Nest
10-08-2007, 20:32
Cerbus, you are an OK guy. I hope to see you a lot on the trail LOL next year.

You will probably be way ahead of me the whole time. I plan on taking 6 months, and will start mid march.

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 20:34
I'm planning a lot of zeros.

Nest
10-08-2007, 20:39
I'm planning a lot of zeros.

Then I would enjoy meeting up on the trail.

EWS
10-08-2007, 23:14
I just ordered the 1987 50th Anniversary Cap and the "official wingnut".

It was a steal at $500.

Lugnut
10-08-2007, 23:29

On another site it was reported to be AWOL. No idea if that rumor has any merit.

Nest
10-09-2007, 01:45
On another site it was reported to be AWOL. No idea if that rumor has any merit.

No, don't have a link, but it isn't true. That rumor started when someone misunderstood another rumor that was true. That true rumor was that AWOL is involved in the Whiteblaze data book. So, AWOL is in on the Whiteblaze book, not in on Wingfoot Inc.

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 05:55
Which points out a problem with that issue too - since the book is called White Blaze Pages it is assumed it is a WhiteBlaze project. It isn't.

The fact you have to keep re-explaining that to people is why I want the name changed.

rickb
10-09-2007, 06:46
I just ordered the 1987 50th Anniversary Cap and the "official wingnut".

It was a steal at $500.

Has it arived yet?

EWS
10-09-2007, 06:51
I ordered it only seven hours ago, but I can't wait to smell it, should be lovely.

Nest
10-09-2007, 20:43
Which points out a problem with that issue too - since the book is called White Blaze Pages it is assumed it is a WhiteBlaze project. It isn't.

The fact you have to keep re-explaining that to people is why I want the name changed.

On a completely different note on that subject, I got to talk to AWOL a little at the Gathering. He seems like a pretty good guy, and is real excited about the guidebook. I agree though, it's Trolls baby, it should be named something he owns, not a name both of you own.

Kirby
10-09-2007, 20:48
Is AWOL taking over the Thru Hikers Handbook and renaming it the White Blaze Pages, or is he starting his own, or none of the aove?

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-09-2007, 20:55
Is AWOL taking over the Thru Hikers Handbook and renaming it the White Blaze Pages, or is he starting his own, or none of the aove?

Kirby

He was starting his own WhiteBlaze book but isn't going to call it that anymore.

Nest
10-09-2007, 20:56

Kirby

My inderstandig is he is working with ATTroll to make a guidebook under the WHiteblaze name that has nothing to do with Wingfoots. Part of the money will go to this website, some to the trail organization, and the rest to publishing and stuff.

Just saw Tater's post. Are you saying it won't be called Whiteblaze pages anymore or something?

orangebug
10-10-2007, 06:28
Thread drift!

Is this the manual that I bought via PayPal as soon as I saw it advertised on the home page?

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 08:19
Yes it is Orangebug

Appalachian Tater
10-10-2007, 12:06
My inderstandig is he is working with ATTroll to make a guidebook under the WHiteblaze name that has nothing to do with Wingfoots. Part of the money will go to this website, some to the trail organization, and the rest to publishing and stuff.

Just saw Tater's post. Are you saying it won't be called Whiteblaze pages anymore or something?

That is my understanding from the posts on this website, but that is my only source of information on the subject. No "insider info" here!

Nest
10-10-2007, 17:36
That is my understanding from the posts on this website, but that is my only source of information on the subject. No "insider info" here!

I just read a post of Sg.t Rock's on another thread that the title is being changed. So it is completely independant of Whiteblaze. I will be trying the guidebook for my thru next year. My understanding is that all of the facts in AWOL/ATTroll guidebook are given to them by the ATC or ALDHA. So it will be as accurate as their books. That means it just comes down to a matter of format, and I like the format of the new book.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 17:40
I just read a post of Sg.t Rock's on another thread that the title is being changed. So it is completely independant of Whiteblaze. I will be trying the guidebook for my thru next year. My understanding is that all of the facts in AWOL/ATTroll guidebook are given to them by the ATC or ALDHA. So it will be as accurate as their books. That means it just comes down to a matter of format, and I like the format of the new book.Well that is sort of right - but not exactly. I would rather let AWOL and ATTroll answer those questions though since it is their project.

Nest
10-10-2007, 17:45
Well that is sort of right - but not exactly. I would rather let AWOL and ATTroll answer those questions though since it is their project.

If I'm close I'm happy.

Kirby
10-10-2007, 18:03
When is the new guidebook set to be released? In time for the 2008 thru hiker season?

Kirby

Nest
10-10-2007, 18:06
When is the new guidebook set to be released? In time for the 2008 thru hiker season?

Kirby

I read somewhere it will be out in Jan or Feb. Can't remember which, but since I leave mid march I didn't pay too much attention since either one means I should have it in time.

Jack Tarlin
10-10-2007, 18:17
Kirby:

All of the 2008 guidebooks should be out by 1 February, and most will appear sometime in January.

If you need to look at one before then, the 2007 Thru-Hikers Companion is available at www.aldha.org

Kirby
10-10-2007, 18:20
I have a 2007 thru hikers handbook, but I do not like the format of the Companion, so I am hoping this new guidebook has a format I am fond of.

Kirby