PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Cove Rd to Carvers Gap ~ Water?

khaynie
10-08-2007, 18:10
Will I be able to find/scoop water at the following places:

Moreland Gap Shelter?
Mountaineer Shelter - or nearby?
Overmountain Shelter - on or before?Thanks!

ric2hunt
10-09-2007, 11:32
As of 10-07

From Dennis Cove to Moreland Gap was very dry. No water to speak up. From Moreland Gap to Mountaineer Shelter there was water to be found. Not rapid flows but use a pump. Many spots crossed the trail. Mountaineer Shelter the water source was slow but pooled well and easy to pump.

Overtonmountain Shelter had water at second source. Also before overton there is a blue blaze to Jonesfalls(?) .1 tenth mile and it was flowing.

The Elk river and Laurel Falls had water. Most of the piped springs were dry.

Plenty of Trail Angels are leaving bottled water along the way at crossings as well.

I carried three to four litters vs the normal 2 for me. Also, it was very hot on the balds and pastures.

no k

khaynie
10-15-2007, 15:17
As of 10/13...Overmountain Shelter has great water at it's secondary spot. Nice water at Applehouse Shelter along with trail angel water at 19E. Lot's of water at Jones River Falls. Decent water at Mountaineer. Didn't look at Moreland gap but Bob Peoples says there's water.

Carvers to 19E is amazing. I love it.

twilight
10-15-2007, 17:38
I just went through this section about 2 weeks ago. I agree with what has already been posted, but wanted to state that water was at Moreland Gap shelter. Otherwise, water was in pretty good shape along this section, just bring a pump with a new filter!

Twilight:sun