PDA

View Full Version : NOBO winter hike?

Kirby
10-08-2007, 19:00
Has anyone completed a thru hike starting around this time of year at Springer?

Kirby

Lone Wolf
10-08-2007, 19:02
probably..

Marta
10-08-2007, 20:58
I ran into a couple of NOBOs who started around this time of year last year. I read a reference to one of them, Bookworm, meeting up with some SOBOs way up in Maine this year. I think he finished. When I ran into him last winter he said he might take time off if the weather got very severe. I don't know if he had to do that or not.

I don't know about the other one. I have to say that he's one of the few hikers I've run into whose probability of finishing a thru seemed close to zero. For one thing, he'd been out for three months and had only made it from Springer to Standing Bear Farm.

warraghiyagey
10-08-2007, 23:24
I ran into a couple of NOBOs who started around this time of year last year. I read a reference to one of them, Bookworm, meeting up with some SOBOs way up in Maine this year. I think he finished. When I ran into him last winter he said he might take time off if the weather got very severe. I don't know if he had to do that or not.

I don't know about the other one. I have to say that he's one of the few hikers I've run into whose probability of finishing a thru seemed close to zero. For one thing, he'd been out for three months and had only made it from Springer to Standing Bear Farm.

Marta, I met Bookworm in Monson at Shaws on June 9th. He started I believe in November and had really vivid stories to tell about his winter hike. It was cool to meet him so close to the end of his journey. He looked like he got everything he could out of the trail experience.
So the answer to the initial question is yes.:)