PDA

View Full Version : Best tent for the weight

spanish
10-08-2007, 19:32
Hello everyone,

I currently use an Eureka Apex 2A, It has the aluminum poles and is a 2 person tent. I have found that I like a tent large enough for my self and my gear. I do hike in the winter and the tent has done a good job with the snow and rain. I just think it's a lil heavy. Aprox 5 lbs. I have looked at the tarps, but cant get past the thought of me waking up with one of natures visitors coiled up next to me in the morning. So.....I have stuck with a tent so that I wake up with what I only brought in with me. Anyways, any one have any tents for 2 people (me and my gear) that is on the lite side?

Thanks,
Spanish

SGT Rock
10-08-2007, 19:38
A hammock ;)

Chomp09
10-08-2007, 20:07
Big Agnes Seedhouse 2. Definitely worth checking out!

hopefulhiker
10-08-2007, 20:09
Look at Henry Shires Tarptent.com. the Squall, Rainbow or Contrail... very lightweight.... have floors and netting too...

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 20:12
I agree with the Rainbow but I honestly don't know how it is in snow.

rafe
10-08-2007, 20:15
Big Agnes SL2: lightest double-wall. Tarptent: lightest single-wall.

Egads
10-08-2007, 20:15
Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

42 ozs = 2.625 lbs

Egads

Survivor Dave
10-08-2007, 20:32
Hey Spanish,

I use a Hubba Hubba by MSR. 3 lbs. 14 oz. trail weight($299) I only paid $240 with the REI discount. Great tent and well made. I have seen the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL at 2 lbs. 14 oz.($319) A great tent as well. Don't pay to much, great deals are abundant online. REI member gets 10% off and sometimes 20% on there membership at the register deals 2 times a year.

If I see you on your section, I can show you.

Happy tent hunting.

Survivor Dave

spanish
10-08-2007, 21:12
Question?

Minimum Weight:3 lbs. 14 oz./1.7 kghttp://www.msrcorp.com/shared_images/spacer.gifPackaged Weight:4 lbs. 12 oz./2.1 kg

What are the companies considering packed weight? the stuff sacks?

Spanish

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 21:16
http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/hubbahubba.asp

There's the right link. I think the minimum weight omits the netting layer. It says that you can also use it as two tarps. That sounds pretty coool. It's a real shame this tent is orange because it makes it harder to go un-noticed and that can be a safety issue.

Just a Hiker
10-08-2007, 21:31
Big Agnes SL1 or SL2! The floors are fragile, but all in all a great tent for the weight!

spanish
10-08-2007, 21:40
I guess you always sacrifice something when your trying to shave some weight. Anyone have any suggestions on a scale for weighting gear, nothing to expensive?

Appalachian Tater
10-08-2007, 21:43
Anyone have any suggestions on a scale for weighting gear, nothing to expensive?

Here's the current thread on that topic:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28288

troglobil
10-08-2007, 21:47
minimum weight includes tent, fly, and poles. Packaged weight adds stakes, stuff sacks, and instruction books.

spanish
10-08-2007, 21:48
Perfect ! Thanks

Survivor Dave
10-08-2007, 21:58
OK y'all, heres the poop on the weight of the Hubba Hubba that I just finished weighing.....Again.

The total weight for tent body, fly, and poles are 3lbs. 14oz. TOTAL as I weighed it on a cooks scale I bought from a restaurant supply house. It is accurate down to 2 grams. The packaged weight is including the stuff sack, the tent stakes, repair pole piece, the bag that holds that, and the bag that holds the tent poles themselves.

No I do not have tooo much time on my hands. I just think it is a good tent FOR ME.

I agree that the NEW Seedhouse SL is a good tent, went and looked at it a few days ago. I do agree that the floor is a bit flimsy. I don't want any problems out on the Trail. I do use a 4x6 foot piece of Tyvek as a groundcloth. After washing and shrinkage, the groundcloth weighs 5 oz. I think it's worth the weight.
Be careful on the Seedhouse. The previous model is 3lbs. 14 oz. and sells for $199 to get rid of them. The SL is the one that's $319 that weighs 2 lbs. 14 oz.

Maaaan my fingers hurt and my brain is about to melt...

Survivor Dave

Tabasco
10-08-2007, 22:09
tarptent contrail

spanish
10-08-2007, 22:21
Thanks Survivor Dave,

Didn't mean to make you go through a bunch of work....LOL. I do like the looks of the Hubba Hubba, and the price is not bad at all. Quality and durability is equally as important, as to the flimsy floor of the seedhouse SL. I do agree with you, I don't want any trouble on the trail. How long have you had the Hubba Hubba? If you had to critique it, what if any, would you say where the draw backs of the Hubba Hubba? Do you usually take all the stakes that came with the tent when you go out? I know on my tent I can get away with only 2 stakes rather then 6. not much of a weight savings, but I guess when you add it in with the rest of the unnecessary weight it adds up. Thanks for putting the Hubba Hubba back on the scale. I know what the manufactures say the weight is, but it's nice to hear it from the consumer.
Thanks again.

spanish
10-08-2007, 22:23
One more thing, Hows that Tyvek work for you? good moisture barrier?

Survivor Dave
10-08-2007, 22:54
I use the Tyvek basically to save the bottom of my tent. I wouldn't call it a moisture barrier as water will get between it and the tent with rain or melted precipitation. The bottom of the Hubba Hubba is waterproof. The piece of Tyvek is slightly smaller(after washing) than the dimentions of the tent so it does not bring moisture in. If it was bigger, you WILL get water under you tent for sure. Again I use it as an abrasion protection barrier. It is waterproof though, not that it matters. LOL

Survivor Dave

JJB
10-08-2007, 23:34
I have the regular Seedhouse 1 and it's a much better weight/durability tent IMHO. But I just got the Go Lite lair insert mated with a 8x10 sil-tarp and it's a neat shelter. But I only have had that set up out two nights and no weather to speak of. And now the bugs gone it's a tarp and a bivy. Peace. J.J.B.

Cosmic Crusader
10-08-2007, 23:43
http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0041/c3/s28/Bibler-Tents-I-Tent-Standard-2-Person-4-Season.html

from PCT to AT to many others between

neo
10-08-2007, 23:44
Hello everyone,

I currently use an Eureka Apex 2A, It has the aluminum poles and is a 2 person tent. I have found that I like a tent large enough for my self and my gear. I do hike in the winter and the tent has done a good job with the snow and rain. I just think it's a lil heavy. Aprox 5 lbs. I have looked at the tarps, but cant get past the thought of me waking up with one of natures visitors coiled up next to me in the morning. So.....I have stuck with a tent so that I wake up with what I only brought in with me. Anyways, any one have any tents for 2 people (me and my gear) that is on the lite side?

Thanks,
Spanish

here is a great combo tarp,hammock and around 3 lbs i swear and live by it:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

Matteroo
10-09-2007, 00:00
If you don't plan on camping in snow, I would use a tarptent. I used the Squall 2 for the last 5 months and absolutely love it. Looking at the tarptent site the Cloudburst 2 and Rainshadow 2 look roomier than the squall 2, and the Rainshadow is listed as 3+ season tent.. so not for heavy snow but can take some? E-mail henry.

We were skeptical at first, having used free standing 2 piece tents all our life-but we would never do a long distance hike during 3+ seasons with anything but a tarptent after our experience. It would take actual winter hiking, like december in Minnesota or February in Vermont to have me take a different tent.

Appalachian Tater
10-09-2007, 00:03
If you don't plan on camping in snow, I would use a tarptent. I used the Squall 2 for the last 5 months and absolutely love it. Looking at the tarptent site the Cloudburst 2 and Rainshadow 2 look roomier than the squall 2, and the Rainshadow is listed as 3+ season tent.. so not for heavy snow but can take some? E-mail henry.

We were skeptical at first, having used free standing 2 piece tents all our life-but we would never do a long distance hike during 3+ seasons with anything but a tarptent after our experience. It would take actual winter hiking, like december in Minnesota or February in Vermont to have me take a different tent.

No condensation problems or any other problems I presume?

EMAN
10-09-2007, 09:14
I recently read an article on the Big Agnes SL1 (or 2) that said the tent was a good tent but had a few problems. The door arrangement allowed moisture in when you entered/exited and was a wee bit tough on larger folks. The fly, unless it was pulled exactly so-so, allowed condensation to collect.
I was a bit disappointed as I started to buy one. I like the mostly net feature because I like sleeping cool. I had a Summit 2P that was about the same at less than 3 lbs and it was a great tent while it lasted which wasn't very long.
I currently use the Quarter Dome (which is apparently no longer available) at around 4 lbs. I'm a big guy so the extra lb. doesn't really bother me. And after having beat the hell out of my Half Dome, which has not only survived but is still in excellent condition, I figure I couldn't go too wrong.
However, I would like to hear from folks that have used the SL1 (probalby too small for my taste) myself. Did you encounter the aforementioned problems? Likes? Dislikes?
BTW, this tent is available from BackCountry Edge for $219. The SL2 is $274.

hopefulhiker
10-09-2007, 09:34
For one person the tarp tent Contrail weighs 23.5 oz I believe.. I think this is the best weight/tent ratio out there for a fully enclosed tent...

NICKTHEGREEK
10-09-2007, 09:45
I still really like my old Walrus Arch Rival XV. 34 sq ft of space, good sitting height, pretty easy to pitch and reasonable weight. It's been very durable at 9 yrs old. I wouldn't use it too often in the dead of a northern winter, it really won't stand up to more than an inch or two of heavy snow.

Walrus made some darn good tents.
http://www.honedesign.com/sites/walrusgear/main_bp_arch_rival.html

Chris_Asheville
10-09-2007, 10:18
It's tough to go wrong with a Marmot tent. They are light, easy to set up and have a rain fly that does a great job keeping you dry.

taildragger
10-09-2007, 10:32
I wouldn't worry too much about critters, or if they really annoy you, you could add the netting at the base.

Matteroo
10-09-2007, 10:33
a rare condensation problem, maybe 1 out of every 20 times, and then it wasn't much. My hiking partner started the AT alone with a contral-I think it leaves something to be desired-the 'struts' at the back and the lack of a solid pole arch (aka: a square box back end) just invites too many problems-for some more sturdiness and space the squall 2, cloudburst 2, etc. I believe there is a Squall that is a 'single person' version and that seemed more desireable than the contrail, after I saw them side by side.

taildragger
10-09-2007, 10:41
http://owareusa.com/ linky to site for other post

http://www.owareusa.com/images/mid%20with%20net%20door%20open.JPG

Smile
10-09-2007, 11:08
I like the Hubba, but like the roominess in the Hubba Hubba, any use the latter for just yourself, or does the weight not justify the extra room?

gearfreak
10-09-2007, 11:11
I can't say enough good things about my Big Agnes SL 2. My buddy and I hiked Springer to Neels Gap a couple of weeks ago. He's happy with his MSR Zoid but liked the freestanding SL 2. He's shopping around now and tells me the best price to be found is at http://www.backcountry.com/store/BAG0020/Big-Agnes-Seedhouse-SL-2-Tent-2-Person-3-Season.html?id=rQhIDK2d :cool:

Creek Dancer
10-09-2007, 11:17
Yup, I second that! :D

tarptent contrail

dessertrat
10-09-2007, 12:07
I always advocate the North Face Tadpole as a one person plus gear tent. I've had nothing but good luck with it, and it's big enough for two smallish people if they leave the gear outside.

stranger
10-12-2007, 07:54
I have this and it's a pretty good single wall shelter. I have the old model but have had the bathtub floor put in recently. I can't really see how you could get wet in this shelter with the new floor. The beaks are designed very well and rain would have to be near sideways, and near ground level, to find it's way inside. It weighs around 2.6lbs with pegs and guys. It sleeps two very comfortably and is a palace for one. Yes, you will get some condensation but it's no drama. Also the floor is narrower than the fly so any condensation will roll down the sides and drip outside your bathtub floor. I would highly recommend seam sealing all stressed seams on this shelter as they seem a bit flimsy in some areas.

2rjs
10-12-2007, 08:27
I'd strongly consider the Tarptents. I used the Squall 2 over the summer and it makes a fantastic shelter. It withstood several downpours and condensation was never a problem. I never actually weighed it but I don't think it was more than a couple of lbs.

The Squall is good for two people plus you can stoor you gear at the bottom but it makes it kind of tight with 2 plus gear. For 1, all of your gear would be able to go inside and have lots of extra room. I recently just got a Rainshadow for when the wife goes with me (she likes to have all her gear inside).

woodsy
10-12-2007, 09:46
However, I would like to hear from folks that have used the SL1 (probalby too small for my taste) myself. Did you encounter the aforementioned problems? Likes? Dislikes?I recently replaced my ancient 2 man Moss with a Big A SL1. I've spent a few nights out in it, it's light, just enough room for 1 with some gear inside and room for pack and boots in vestibule, and dry. Spent 1 night at 3800' in wind and rain and no leaks. The opening from the top of vestibule zipper to the tent zipper is very close so when getting in or out there is chance for some dripping into the very front of tent from either rain or condensation. To me that's minor inconvience. It is best staked out to prevent the fly and mesh from contacting one another and therefore eliminating condensation drips. I like it for what it is, a minimal shelter. 199.00 on sale at EMS
Oh, if you click on my galley, there is a pic at top of page 2 showing the tent set up on a platform. Had to use rocks to to anchor the fly and tent.

saimyoji
10-12-2007, 11:36
I recently replaced my ancient 2 man Moss with a Big A SL1. I've spent a few nights out in it, it's light, just enough room for 1 with some gear inside and room for pack and boots in vestibule, and dry. Spent 1 night at 3800' in wind and rain and no leaks. The opening from the top of vestibule zipper to the tent zipper is very close so when getting in or out there is chance for some dripping into the very front of tent from either rain or condensation. To me that's minor inconvience. It is best staked out to prevent the fly and mesh from contacting one another and therefore eliminating condensation drips. I like it for what it is, a minimal shelter. 199.00 on sale at EMS
Oh, if you click on my galley, there is a pic at the bottom right of the opening page showing the tent set up on a platform. Had to use rocks to to anchor the fly and tent.

Right now its listed at $249.
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442585143&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875851&bmUID=1192203326681

saimyoji
10-12-2007, 11:38
Right now its listed at $249.
http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442585143&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875851&bmUID=1192203326681

REI has the non SL for $114

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/761050

woodsy
10-12-2007, 12:23
[quote=saimyoji;424379]Right now its listed at $249.

Sorry, should have said I bought it on sale for 199.00 a couple months ago.

Rain Man
10-12-2007, 12:43
I currently use the Quarter Dome (which is apparently no longer available) at around 4 lbs. I'm a big guy so the extra lb. doesn't really bother me. And after having beat the hell out of my Half Dome, which has not only survived but is still in excellent condition, I figure I couldn't go too wrong.

Same here. I had a Half-Dome Plus and loved it for me and my wife. Also, it would set up as the rain fly on the footprint, without the tent, an option I liked a lot.

Got myself a Quarter-Dome last year and it's almost as roomy, but not quite, but much lighter (you say 4 lbs?). Not sure why you say they're no longer available or that heavy, but then again I haven't checked lately.

You're in Nashville? How come you haven't come to any of our WhiteBlaze outings here in town? Or have you and I just don't recognize the screen name?

Rain:sunMan

whitefoot_hp
10-12-2007, 13:38
you would probably thank your self if you bought a solo tent with a vestibule for your gear. you shouldnt need so much gear that it constitutes a second person! my2cents.

halftime
10-12-2007, 15:33
http://www.bigskyinternational.com/SummitShelters/SummitShelters.htm

gaga
10-13-2007, 09:36
Eureka spitfire 1 p. or E. spitfire UL version, ditch the heavy pegs