PDA

View Full Version : Pinkham Notch to Maine Border

EricSJNH
10-08-2007, 22:45
Hello Everyone,

First time poster..long time reader, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My friend and I are looking to complete the AT section from Pinkham Notch Visitor Center north to the Maine Border this coming weekend (Friday-Sunday). The tentative plan as of now is to plant a car at the trailhead at Carlo Col Trail on Success Pond Road on Friday and then get dropped off down at Pinkham Notch. On Friday we'd hike into Carter Notch Hut and stay the night there. The next morning we'd continue on the AT and stay at Rattle River Shelter. The last day would be a push from Rattle River Shelter to the Maine Border where we'd hike down to the car via the Carlo Col Shelter. The mileage increases significantly, 6-13-22. We're both fairly experienced backpackers and both in good shape.

I guess I'm just looking for any and all feed back. The goal of this trip is to get a significant portion of the NH section of the trail done because our college dorm is looking to collectively complete the entire NH section this semester. So yea any thoughts or comments or suggestions are welcome.

First post= Long post. haha.

-Eric

rafe
10-08-2007, 22:55
It's a nice section, great views from the Carter-Moriah ridge and at Imp Shelter. Tough climbs, too -- Wildcat and Carter especially. Rattle River Shelter is pleasant also -- right next to a beautiful stream. Easy miles between Rattle River shelter and the start of the climb up Mt. Hayes. Though I personally wouldn't shoot for 22 miles/day anywhere in the Whites.

Just a Hiker
10-08-2007, 23:07
Hey there! Sounds like a tough weekend to me, but you have some choices if that 22 mile day on Sunday gets you down. If you get to Gentian Pond Lean-to and want to stop, there is a blue-blaze trail that can get you down the road with access to Success Pond Road. However, the weather will be nice and cool and great for hiking........so have fun!!

Just Jim

JJB
10-08-2007, 23:13
I'll second the idea that 22 miles in that section wouldn't be any fun. That and why would you want to blow through such a cool place. Peace. J.J.B.

rickb
10-08-2007, 23:15
If you got off the AT at Gentian Pond Shelter you could spot your car on a paved road that sort of parallels Route 2 (not Success Pond Road, which is on the other side of the ridge.). The trail down from Gentian Pond is fast and easy.

Big advantage would be that it would it easier/faster to spot a car. Of course that would screw up your plan to get to the border. So forget that.

In any event, be sure to take extra bateries for your head lamps and have fun. ;-)

Just a Hiker
10-08-2007, 23:19
Thanks for clarifying the Road situation Rick....I think my post was confusing.

Jim

neo
10-08-2007, 23:48
It's a nice section, great views from the Carter-Moriah ridge and at Imp Shelter. Tough climbs, too -- Wildcat and Carter especially. Rattle River Shelter is pleasant also -- right next to a beautiful stream. Easy miles between Rattle River shelter and the start of the climb up Mt. Hayes. Though I personally wouldn't shoot for 22 miles/day anywhere in the Whites.

i only hiked 7 to 11 miles a day in the whites,i could have added a few more miles a day but i decided it was best to go slow and easy and just enjoy being there:cool: neo

Matteroo
10-08-2007, 23:52
Just hiked that all in the past month or so-I wouldn't suggest doing that 22. The hike out of Gorham isn't bad, but the trail isn't exactly easy in the miles to the Maine Border-not the biggest climbs but it is rugged and not fast going-and if you had inclemental weather it would add a serious headache to any planned milages per hour.

The 6 from Pinkham Notch to Carter Notch is tough, imho, but if you were able to push a bit extra, if the weather is fair there is camping at the top of Carter Dome (a lot of it), and then just before the peak of Mnt. Hight, off to the left side of the trail while it's still wooded, and also at the very peak you can camp (I wouldn't do it in inclemental weather, again). I camped there about a month ago (summit of Mnt. Hight) and was provided views of the ocean, the lights of Portland at night, and back towards stinky Mnt. Trashington with its coal train smog! :)

If you did a few more miles that first day maybe you could do something different on the subsequent ones. The swimming hole near rattle river shelter (about .2 behind it) is to die for. I would drive back there from michigan just to swim in it. It is SOOO impressive. I'd jump in there in the middle of october even, so long as I had a fire going or it was heat-waving like it is now! Tough section, but if you're in good shape you can do it-having some alternatives or second options if you can't do the big mile last day would be a good thing.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2007, 04:56
day 3 will kick your ass

theunstrungharp
10-11-2007, 14:38
I agree with everyone. Also - it's GORGEOUS. You will probably want to pause and enjoy it. I was not at all antsy to do more after 10-ish days here.

theunstrungharp
10-11-2007, 14:38
10-ish miles/day, that is!

peakbagger
10-11-2007, 17:42
BTW, the forecast is for chance of snow on the high summits Saturday night. The climb out of Pinkham is sort of infamous for its steepness but then again its a good introduction to the ups and downs of the Mahoosucs.

I would also suggest ending at Gentian pond. The climb up from Gentian to the top of Success is right up the fall line and that would be a bit rude at the end of the day. It will save a lot of time car spotting (at least an hour and a half than the Carlo Col trailhead, plus the likelyhood of vandalism is a lot lower in Shelburne. If you do have to cut your trip short, getting a hitch up to your Car on Success Pond road from the Rt 2 side is going to be long event.

EricSJNH
10-12-2007, 17:15
Thanks for the all the responses, but unfortuanately due to the weather we called off the trip. Like peakbagger said its suppose to be snowing at night in the mountains and during the day its going to raining and in the 40s. A one day 20 miler was already going to be a stretch but this weather it'd be unwise to push for it.

According to some your guys' advice we're gonna break up this section a little more and make 2 2-day trips out of it or something.

Mr. Clean
10-14-2007, 06:08
Your itinerary was fine except for the last day. You could end at Gentian, or try hiking up Success trail to Mt. Success and hiking to Old Speck. It would be a fairly easy hitch back to your car.

rafe
10-14-2007, 10:16
FWIW, the weather here in Boston has been beautiful this weekend. Sunny and clear. But a bit chilly.

Kirby
10-14-2007, 12:36
The weather here in southern Maine is now starting to feel like fall, we had a couple of weeks where it was summer weather. Beautiful weekend here as well, a typical fall weather.

Kirby