PDA

View Full Version : Newly Published Appalachian Trail Book, White Blaze Fever

Mt. Slayer
11-14-2003, 16:33
While giving a presentation at the "Gathering" in Hanover last month it was suggested that I check out this website and share some information on my newly published Appalachian Trail book entitled, White Blaze Fever. Probably the best way to do that would be to share a couple unsolicited reviews about my book that were placed on Amazon.com.

Fabulous read, September 29, 2003

Reviewer: Candace Scott, from Thurmont, Maryland.

This is a great book for anyone who has actually thru hiked the AT, section hiked it, or is just a vicarious AT hiker. I read this book in one sitting over several hours. I simply couldn't put it down. I've read over thirty books on thru hiking the AT and this is one of the best accounts yet. Schuette himself is a thru hiker and his narrative of his own experiences is fascinating. It's truly a great exploration of what goes into the heart, mind, and body of this hiker who made the pilgrimage.
Schuette arranges the information neatly by chapter. There are sections on animals, bugs, food, physical preparation and other things necessary to know before embarking on the trail. The narrative flows by smoothly and I was sad as I approached the end of the book because it was so immensely enjoyable. I would recommend this book highly for everyone who dreams of hiking the AT or those have already completed the journey. This is a wonderful and interesting addition to your AT library.

A Compelling nitty gritty of an Appalachian Trail thru-hike, September 4, 2003
Reviewer: Backpack, from Oakland, CA United States
For the first time, I think I understand what it's like to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. This is a day by day journal of Bill (Mountain Slayer) Schuette's thru-hike in 2000. - 2167 miles from March 28th to August 28th, at the age of 51. Bill is a retired high school principal, who was hooked by the thru-hiking bug, when he and his wife were checking into a lodge and saw a thru-hiker stagger in, dirty, smelly, exhausted.

White Blaze Fever gets its name from the white blazes used to mark the route of the AT. The regional trails usually have blue blazes, and work their way reasonably around a mountain. the AT with its white blazes, goes over the top.

Every three to five pages, there is an italicized paragraph or two inserted, with various hiker tips for doing the trail. This gives the reader a useful break - read the tip, then back on the trail again.

By the time you reach the end of the book, you will have a good sense of what equipment works and doesn't work, and what you are getting into. This book makes you realize that this is very much a group experience. Shelter conversations, stories referring to hikers by their trailnames, shared misery and triumphs pay a large part in this book. You also learn something about the terrain, and a small dose of history.

I strongly recommend reading this if you have any intention of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. Try to read it several months before you go.

White Blaze Fever (ISBN 1589394291) can be purchased at www.Virtualbookworm.com for $14.95 (softcover), $22.95 (hardcover) and can also be found at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

If you are interested in a signed copy, simply e-mail me directly at [email protected] and I will personally send you (free shipping) a signed copy. An ideal Christmas gift for the Appalachian Trail loving spouse or friend and a perfect book for the long cold winter months ahead.
Mt. Slayer