PDA

View Full Version : Gaf @ Noc???

VA Hokie
10-09-2007, 01:43
i was wondering if anyone has been to the gaf at the noc? i plan on going this year and was wondering about places to pitch or stay, i have never been to the noc before, so i dont know what to expect.. any advice on some cool activities or places to go? much appreciated!!!

Lone Wolf
10-09-2007, 04:51
what is a gaf?:-?

Doughnut
10-09-2007, 05:53
Look up NOC on the net, it's like a resort town, of sorts, with rafting, kayaking, mountain biking, etc (and of course - HIKING) ABout a mile south of there on the trail is Rufus Morgan shelter and there are plenty of tent spots near there, NOC has a hostel ($15 I believe) - Basically, when I return, I will take a ful day and maybe 2 there. it's a neat place to hang out.

GAF???

Dough Nut

Skidsteer
10-09-2007, 07:02
what is a gaf?:-?

Guest Appreciation Festival. October 26, 27 & 28th.

http://www.noc.com/events_guestfest.html?a=27

Lone Wolf
10-09-2007, 07:20

Dancer
10-09-2007, 07:32
NOC has bunkhouses and a bunk is $15 per night they also have cabins and they have a resort with rooms nearby (no idea of prices for the later two). They have a dining hall with kitchen. There is a nice bathhouse with showers and pay washer/dryers. The river and surrounding area are gorgeous.

Roots
10-09-2007, 07:34
i was wondering if anyone has been to the gaf at the noc? i plan on going this year and was wondering about places to pitch or stay, i have never been to the noc before, so i dont know what to expect.. any advice on some cool activities or places to go? much appreciated!!!

We go to the GAF every year. It's sort of a tradition we started about 5 years ago. It's pretty fun. There is a campground about a 1/2 mile before NOC at a gem mine. The gem mine is actually a parking area for the GAF and a shuttle comes by periodically. I'm not sure how great the amenities are at the campground( by the way its behind the gem mine-just ask the guy there he's pretty nice) but they do have bath/shower houses and it's somewhere to lay the tent for the night. We might be staying there ourselves.

gregdog
10-09-2007, 08:37
We go every year also, great time and good oppotunity to get some cheap used gear. When I called in July they said the bunk house was full already, but putting a tent up somewhere shouldn't be a problem. The food is good and you get to hear some local bands. good crowd at night to hang out with, family friendly for the kids also, as long as they're used to being around interesting characters.

gold bond
10-09-2007, 08:55
What are the dates for this GAF? I as well have never heard of it and I was there this weekend at the NOC and there were no promtion for it as well. Sounds intresting though!

gregdog
10-09-2007, 09:02
Oct. 26-28

veteran
10-09-2007, 10:12
There is a decent camp spot near the NOC for any interested in staying the night there. Follow the railroad tracks down river a bit; right next to a big rapid is a hill with a few good tent spots up top; area is called Hobo Alley.

Cuffs
10-09-2007, 10:18
I booked a 4-bunk bunkhouse over a month ago and they said it was the last one... if you want a space better call, but be warned, it may be too late!

buckowens
10-09-2007, 20:54
I booked a 4-bunk bunkhouse over a month ago and they said it was the last one... if you want a space better call, but be warned, it may be too late!

Let me know if anyone stays ion Cabin "B" up on the hill. Me and the family were there in August and it was weird. Lots of weird noises and such... No drunks or anything :D Footsteps and bangs, and we were the only ones there.

Roots
10-28-2007, 10:41
We were at the GAF this weekend, after our hike, and it was a blast. GREAT meeting you CUFFS!!! Anyway, awesome bargains-like you wouldn't believe. We always have a great time and leave with some great things. I suggest it to anyone in the area. I do have a question for anyone who knows about it. Next year it is going to be in September on the 26th through the 28th-WHY? Just wondering-we didn't get to ask anyone while we were there. Thanks!:-?

Cuffs
10-28-2007, 19:22
WOW! That was my first time to GAF and I had a blast! I had so much used gear and stuff to sell, I made enough $$ to my that new pack I had been eyeing! I did by a couple of small things (other peoples used gear) but I will use these things, I promise!!

This is definately on my calendar for next year!

Hey Roots! Glad we met and got to talk. Make sure to put SoRuck on your calendar!

Roots
10-28-2007, 20:55
WOW! That was my first time to GAF and I had a blast! I had so much used gear and stuff to sell, I made enough $$ to my that new pack I had been eyeing! I did by a couple of small things (other peoples used gear) but I will use these things, I promise!!

This is definately on my calendar for next year!

Hey Roots! Glad we met and got to talk. Make sure to put SoRuck on your calendar!
Thanks Cuffs, definitely trying to work it out!:)

Nightwalker
10-28-2007, 23:24
There is a decent camp spot near the NOC for any interested in staying the night there. Follow the railroad tracks down river a bit; right next to a big rapid is a hill with a few good tent spots up top; area is called Hobo Alley.

What do they charge to pitch/hang there?

Of course, with a hammock, I can just go 100 yards up the trail across the road, but I was just curious.

Roots
10-29-2007, 10:37
What do they charge to pitch/hang there?

Of course, with a hammock, I can just go 100 yards up the trail across the road, but I was just curious.

Someone had replyed about a great place to go called Hobo Alley. We've been going to GAF for years and have never been back there until this year and it is AWESOME!! Take the first right, across the bridge, off 19/74, when you get to NOC. Go over the RR tracks and take an immediate right. Follow that gravel road around a mtn. side until you come to the RR again (not far at all)and cross it. Once you cross it your at Hobo Alley. Anywhere down that road is awesome. It is pack in pack out and closest bathrooms are back where you first turned on the gravel road. It is beautiful back there and follows Nantahala river.