PDA

View Full Version : Caldera Cone or Clikstand

EWS
10-09-2007, 06:48
I'm looking at both the Ti Caledra Cone and Clikstand stove systems, mainly for alcohol, but also for esbit and twig burning. Anybody tried both and like one better? How'd they work for esbit and wood?

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 08:10
I don't know the Clickstand but the alcohol function of the Caldera Cone is amazing. The Ti version is something new - but if it functions like the other it is a good deal.

EWS
10-09-2007, 08:15
Clikstand (http://www.clikstand.com/)
TI Caldera Cone (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html)

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 08:20
I would go with the Ti Caldera Cone.

Skidsteer
10-09-2007, 08:47

Do they make one with the right dimensions for an Ion(or stoves that are 3/4" tall in general)?

If so, have you tried it?

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 08:52
No they do not - I imagine someone could try it - but those guys that created teh Caldera Cone have tweeked the stove and stand to work togther - I think if you tried an Ion it would almost be like starting from scratch.

Marta
10-09-2007, 09:12
What I was told by Rand, maker of the Caldera Cones, is that the Cone windscreen concentrates heat too much for use with other stoves. Their stoves burn cooler and slower, which is one of the reasons they use less fuel and still boil efficiently.

I used my first generation Caldera system with an Esbit tablet (I ran out of alcohol) and it was so hot it messed up the stove (which I used as a base for the Esbit tablet) and discolored the Cone.

I don't have the multi-fuel system yet, but my Ouijii (sp.?) Board (lightweight edition, of course) tells me one is in my future.

generoll
10-09-2007, 10:38
Wow! That's an impressive stove setup. If I buy one more stove I'll need an extra storage building like they're complaining about in the Suches thread. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get it anyway. I do like the way it nests and the triple option is also a great idea. Being able to use wood where allowed and save on alcohol is huge in my opinion.

Footslogger
10-09-2007, 10:44
I'm looking at both the Ti Caledra Cone and Clikstand stove systems, mainly for alcohol, but also for esbit and twig burning. Anybody tried both and like one better? How'd they work for esbit and wood?
===================================

I have both but don't have enough experience yet with the Caldera Cone to give you a fair performance comparison. Like Rock said though ...the results with the Caldera are reported to be outstanding.

The Clickstand is really a fancy version of the Westwind stand that comes with the Trangia burner. In fact, it has a hole cut in the center that holds the Trangia perfectly in place and off the ground. Only real issues I have with the Clickstand is that it does not fit easily into my cookpot for transportation and it is made of steel instead of a lighter weight material.

What I did was take the Westwind stand, drill it full of holes and then carve notces on the outer edges that hole my windscreen off the ground. Accomplished the same thing as the Clickstand but lighter.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 10:46
Well you can always use wood instead of alcohol LOL - there are lots of campfire rings already in place along the trail. The trick is to learn how to do that well. I have made a simple version of an aluminum nock down stove like the Clickstand that can be a wood stove or alcohol stove stand - I never spent the time tweaking it to their efficiency level though. I also made a knock down stove of the same model for titanium but sort of got busy with a war and never got back to it - the thing is in my garage somewhere. But are super light and if I spent enough time going through stove designs I could probably come up with the right stove/windscreen stand design to make it work. The problem is that much titanium ain't always cheap and drilling through sheet ti is harder than cutting it.

Anyway - I wrote my Titanium supplier to see if I can get some of the same gague titanium they use on that Ti cone and play with it.

EWS
10-09-2007, 10:46
What size pot does the Clikstand "S2" fit in, or not, since you're having issues?

SGT Rock
10-09-2007, 10:49
===================================

I have both but don't have enough experience yet with the Caldera Cone to give you a fair performance comparison. Like Rock said though ...the results with the Caldera are reported to be outstanding.

The Clickstand is really a fancy version of the Westwind stand that comes with the Trangia burner. In fact, it has a hole cut in the center that holds the Trangia perfectly in place and off the ground. Only real issues I have with the Clickstand is that it does not fit easily into my cookpot for transportation and it is made of steel instead of a lighter weight material.

What I did was take the Westwind stand, drill it full of holes and then carve notces on the outer edges that hole my windscreen off the ground. Accomplished the same thing as the Clickstand but lighter.

'Slogger
Going with that same thought- I make (occasionally, there isn't a lot of demand for it) a titanium version of the Westwind stand that is shorter and lighter than the original and comes with a windscreen. I never drilled holes in it as drilling Ti is a PITA. BUT one could use the stand as a pot support and build a simple stick fire under it if someone wanted to go wood instead of Trangia. Plans for it are on my site and you can make your own with a pair of tin snips.

Here is a picture: http://www.hikinghq.net/ionstove/images/ionization.jpg

generoll
10-09-2007, 11:09
The advantage to using a small stove as opposed to building a campfire to cook over is in the amount and type of wood that you use. I'm guessing that the Ti setup would cook using twigs very nicely. You could of course cook over a campfire ring, but the heat might not be utilized quite as efficiently and you might find fuel a bit more of a problem.

I had and used on of those Zip stoves for quite awhile and it was good for cooking with twigs and small stuff. It was also dirty and a bit heavier then what I assume the Ti setup to be. I gave up on the Zip stove when I got my Svea and have been pulled from the Svea/Sigg combo with great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Footslogger
10-09-2007, 11:18
What size pot does the Clikstand "S2" fit in, or not, since you're having issues?

======================================

I'm using the Evernew 0.9 Liter pot. Fits - but you really have to cram it in there if you have anything else inside (like I do). I also have the Evernew 1.3 Liter and the Clickstand fits fine inside.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
10-09-2007, 17:25
Going with that same thought- I make (occasionally, there isn't a lot of demand for it) a titanium version of the Westwind stand that is shorter and lighter than the original and comes with a windscreen. I never drilled holes in it as drilling Ti is a PITA. BUT one could use the stand as a pot support and build a simple stick fire under it if someone wanted to go wood instead of Trangia. Plans for it are on my site and you can make your own with a pair of tin snips.

Here is a picture: http://www.hikinghq.net/ionstove/images/ionization.jpg

FWIW, I've punched holes in titanium with a hand held punch (http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/HandPunch.jpg). It kinda 'snaps' through the metal but leaves a clean hole with no cracking that I can see.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-09-2007, 17:30

Ditto, mine's sweet as he**...

The PACKAGING weighed nearly as much as the kit.

I'm pretty sure I can get wax to be a viable fuel source with it as well... just haven't had time to work out the kinks.

zelph
10-09-2007, 18:25
What I was told by Rand, maker of the Caldera Cones, is that the Cone windscreen concentrates heat too much for use with other stoves. Their stoves burn cooler and slower, which is one of the reasons they use less fuel and still boil efficiently.

I used my first generation Caldera system with an Esbit tablet (I ran out of alcohol) and it was so hot it messed up the stove (which I used as a base for the Esbit tablet) and discolored the Cone.

I don't have the multi-fuel system yet, but my Ouijii (sp.?) Board (lightweight edition, of course) tells me one is in my future.

I saw your photos today on the front page of the gallery today. It looks like there are three pieces to the caldera burner. A primer pan and a 2 pieces for the burner. Is that correct?

If that is correct, add 1 more piece, the cone. Thats four pieces total.

I'm curious to know what draws you and others to this set-up.

The all mighty "Supercat" is a one piece stove and is a proven performer. 1/2 ounce of fuel to boil 2 cups water.

What is it that draws people to the 4 piece caldera or the 6 piece clickstand stove?

Smile
10-09-2007, 19:08
Is the caldera cone the one that the guys were demonstrating at Trail Days this year?

Marta
10-09-2007, 21:57
What is it that draws people to the 4 piece caldera or the 6 piece clickstand stove?

The Cone works better under windy conditions than anything else I have ever tried. Many people have said their stoves work great and they just hold their sleeping pad around it as a windscreen, or whatever. All I can say is, they must be better at holding stuff near their stoves than I am.

Skidsteer
10-09-2007, 22:03
Many people have said their stoves work great and they just hold their sleeping pad around it as a windscreen, or whatever. All I can say is, they must be better at holding stuff near their stoves than I am.

I stink at it and I've got the patches in my Thermarest to prove it.

EWS
10-10-2007, 00:32
The more research I do the more I lean toward the clikstand. It isn't limited to being used with just one brand/size of pot, is cheaper, doesn't have pot sticking to it issues, and seems a bit more durable. I'm a big eater, so storing it in a 1.3l pot will work out fine for me.

EWS
10-10-2007, 00:34
If I decide on the clikstand, I think I'll try to dupilcate it in TI, since the design seem fairly refined and should be relatively simple to do.

Where are you all getting your ti sheets from?

EWS
10-10-2007, 01:19
I recieved a very prompt response about pot sizing with the Clikstand:

"The Clikstand can be used with any pot size over 4.2 inches in diameter. Smaller cups or mugs can also be used, but require additional supports that can be made from heavy wire or coat hanger (if you are interested in this let me know). The windscreen works with pots up to 6 inches in diameter."

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 08:22
I get my sheets from Titanium Joe. But you are going to probably spend over $100 (probably more than that) on a sheet of Ti after you pay for shipping too.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-10-2007, 09:58
"I saw your photos today on the front page of the gallery today. It looks like there are three pieces to the caldera burner. A primer pan and a 2 pieces for the burner. Is that correct?

If that is correct, add 1 more piece, the cone. Thats four pieces total."

Um... no, not really... by that logic the Clikstand is a... well, let's count 'em up: Windscreen is two pieces (long piece of aluminum + clamp), trangia stove is at least three pieces (stove, lid, o-ring) on it's own, the 'stand' would be another four pieces... so the clikstand would be a 9-piece system...

See, the burner on the Caldera is made with multiple pieces that are joined into ONE. The burner doesn't come apart. Not without significant force.

So, you're really only looking at a TWO piece stove for alcohol: Cone + Burner

(three if you include the fuel bottle, which you often don't need for the trangia)

For Esbit, +2 Pieces (not counting fuel): Bent Piece of Wire-Grate for Esbit Stand (using the included burner as an Esbit stand would be a BAD idea due to the elevted temps inside the cone) + Bit of Aluminum sheeting for underneath the stand to catch dripping bits of esbit / reflect as little heat back up.

For Wood (in the case of the Tri-Ti), +2 Pieces: Two Ti Stakes

mweinstone
10-10-2007, 11:15
heres what i have done with my clickstand and my trangia burnner.

everything but sex.fools cook less.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 11:18
Zelph has a great point. If I were really going to do this I would make a globe stove and carry my own Ion - cheaper and lighter than going either way on this decision. I am sure he would pick a different combination, but the point still is there are other ways to shake this nut out than to go with either of these stove choices.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-10-2007, 13:28
Zelph has a great point. If I were really going to do this I would make a globe stove and carry my own Ion - cheaper and lighter than going either way on this decision. I am sure he would pick a different combination, but the point still is there are other ways to shake this nut out than to go with either of these stove choices.

:banana It's interesting to see how 'multi-use', even though it is one of the mantra's of UL Backpacking, doesn't always beat muliple pieces of 'single-use dedicated gear' in all cases.

I gotta agree, that globe stove is a brilliant piece of kit, and crazy light to boot. I gotta get around to making one of those before my next Boy Scout campout.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-10-2007, 13:34
Note, the above post is not meant to in anyway state that I don't like my Tri-Ti. I'm glad I bought it. I was just brining up how getting hung-up on 'multi-use' isn't always the best.

For Example: One can add woodburning to one's arsenal for pretty inexpensive and light with the Glove Stove.

The key is to optimize your Normal M.O. (Modus Operandi), if you do 90% Acl, then Rock's approach is probably your best. If you've going to use wood on a more regular basis, you might want to consider something else.

It's like the Bushbuddy / Tri-Ti cosiderations. If Wood is your Primary (90%) fuel, BB can't be beat. But if you expect to mix fuel sources regularly Tri-Ti is the way to go.

zelph
10-10-2007, 14:51
"I saw your photos today on the front page of the gallery today. It looks like there are three pieces to the caldera burner. A primer pan and a 2 pieces for the burner. Is that correct?

If that is correct, add 1 more piece, the cone. Thats four pieces total."

Um... no, not really... by that logic the Clikstand is a... well, let's count 'em up: Windscreen is two pieces (long piece of aluminum + clamp), trangia stove is at least three pieces (stove, lid, o-ring) on it's own, the 'stand' would be another four pieces... so the clikstand would be a 9-piece system...

See, the burner on the Caldera is made with multiple pieces that are joined into ONE. The burner doesn't come apart. Not without significant force.

So, you're really only looking at a TWO piece stove for alcohol: Cone + Burner

(three if you include the fuel bottle, which you often don't need for the trangia)

For Esbit, +2 Pieces (not counting fuel): Bent Piece of Wire-Grate for Esbit Stand (using the included burner as an Esbit stand would be a BAD idea due to the elevted temps inside the cone) + Bit of Aluminum sheeting for underneath the stand to catch dripping bits of esbit / reflect as little heat back up.

For Wood (in the case of the Tri-Ti), +2 Pieces: Two Ti Stakes

Silly me, It looks like a pop can with a flat bottom sitting on a primer pan. wondered what was under the pop can, maybe another smaller can. Looks are deceiving.:-? Any idea how the pieces are attached? The burner looks like it should burn hot, but it does'nt, any idea why? Does it require priming? When the stove is burning, does it smell like it has proper oxygen or is it being deprived? It's a STOVIE thing.

This is the photo I was referring to.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16081&catid=searchresults&searchid=10391

take-a-knee
10-10-2007, 15:29
I know nothing about the Clickstand but I just bought a Caldera Cone for an MSR Titan 0.85 and I am very pleased with the cone and the pot. With 16oz of water straight from the fridge I get champange bubbles with 15ml of HEET. The early versions for the Titan kettle had a windscreen lock that was problematic I've read, this new one is bomber. I bought a long blue plastic fuel bottle from the caldera guys also (I think it is the same as the one at the Minibull site). This gives me something to roll the cone around for packing. I use a couple of elastic hair bands to hold the roll. It's only drawback is you need to exercise a little care so that it doesn't get all bent up, I don't see that as a problem. Most LW gear requires a similar mindset.

I'm getting the freezer-bag thing going and most of the pots I've tried were a PITA, you wound up pouring half the hot water on your shoes or the ground. I also wanted a pot, not a kettle, so that I could cook normally if that was required. This MSR Titan is perfect, the lid stays on when you pour, and you get a controlled pour with spilling a drop. The cone just stays on the pot when you lift it to pour.

Marta
10-10-2007, 15:38
Silly me, It looks like a pop can with a flat bottom sitting on a primer pan. wondered what was under the pop can, maybe another smaller can. Looks are deceiving.:-? Any idea how the pieces are attached? The burner looks like it should burn hot, but it does'nt, any idea why? Does it require priming? When the stove is burning, does it smell like it has proper oxygen or is it being deprived? It's a STOVIE thing.

This is the photo I was referring to.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16081&catid=searchresults&searchid=10391

Yep, it's a cut-off can sitting on a primer pan. There's a smaller can inside. I don't know how they're attached. When I burned an Esbit in the first stove (turning it upside down and using the bottom of the primer pan as a base for the Esbit), the inside can loosened up (it rattles now) but the primer pan stayed attached. It still worked just fine. The new versions of the stove heat the water a little more quickly.

I don't normally have to prime the stove. I often start it by throwing a lit match into the alcohol, though. I don't like lighters much.

Obviously you're not going to get the technical information you crave from me...:rolleyes:

Skidsteer
10-10-2007, 15:56
So the stove is basically a catstove/kitten stove design.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 16:17
From what I saw, yes it looks kind of like a kitten stove.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-10-2007, 18:10
From what I saw, yes it looks kind of like a kitten stove.

Yup, there's a 'smaller' can inside, and it's all connected, and essentially functions like a kitten stove. Nice slow easy burn... that accelerates in the heated atmosphere of the cone.

I can't remember but I thinkk the inside can doesn't have extra holes... I'll try to post some closer pics in a few days.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 18:11
I could have sworn the inside can had a row of holes around the top. But no wicking material inside.

Skidsteer
10-10-2007, 18:19
Yup, there's a 'smaller' can inside, and it's all connected, and essentially functions like a kitten stove. Nice slow easy burn... that accelerates in the heated atmosphere of the cone.

I can't remember but I thinkk the inside can doesn't have extra holes... I'll try to post some closer pics in a few days.

I could have sworn the inside can had a row of holes around the top. But no wicking material inside.

It would have to(have holes)unless there was a space at the top between the small can and large can, which might explain Martas 'rattling'.

I wouldn't classify a kitten stove as a 'nice, slow, easy' burn however. Of course, I don't know how big the centerhole is or the size of the air passages between the inner and outer cans....

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 18:20
Well I think one of the reasons it is slow is the windscreen sort of chokes it.

zelph
10-10-2007, 18:25
Yep, it's a cut-off can sitting on a primer pan. There's a smaller can inside. I don't know how they're attached. When I burned an Esbit in the first stove (turning it upside down and using the bottom of the primer pan as a base for the Esbit), the inside can loosened up (it rattles now) but the primer pan stayed attached. It still worked just fine. The new versions of the stove heat the water a little more quickly.

I don't normally have to prime the stove. I often start it by throwing a lit match into the alcohol, though. I don't like lighters much.

Obviously you're not going to get the technical information you crave from me...:rolleyes:

Well that's the technical information that I was looking for!!!! Hugs and Kisses for that help. These guys around here think I'm daft and unlearned.:o

I suspect that the primer pan will be needed by those using the burner in cold brrrrr type weather. Can you imagine assembling a potstand with three or more pieces in cold weather? The challenge is what draws them to that type of setup;)

Skidsteer
10-10-2007, 18:26
Well I think one of the reasons it is slow is the windscreen sort of chokes it.

That was my guess as well and sorta rules out Ions and similar stoves without a lot of tweaking. Just as you said a while back.

SGT Rock
10-10-2007, 18:30
That was my guess as well and sorta rules out Ions and similar stoves without a lot of tweaking. Just as you said a while back.
Yes, I ain't a dummy either.

I suspect the Ti model is sort of like that Ti Vargo stove - it is cool to talk about because it is ti, but otherwise it tends to not actually do a lot performace wise.

Globe stove and some sort of alcohol back up. I think you would agree to this sort of strategy over spending $125 for a titanium windscreen.

Skidsteer
10-10-2007, 18:34
These guys around here think I'm daft and unlearned.:o

Lol, you are definitely learned but still marginally daft. ;)

My head hurts from trying to keep up with where your imagination takes you.

Skidsteer
10-10-2007, 18:41
Yes, I ain't a dummy either.

I suspect the Ti model is sort of like that Ti Vargo stove - it is cool to talk about because it is ti, but otherwise it tends to not actually do a lot performace wise.

Globe stove and some sort of alcohol back up. I think you would agree to this sort of strategy over spending $125 for a titanium windscreen.

I would definitely agree. I'm not spending $125 on any one gear item if I can't sleep in it or use it to carry the rest of my stuff.

Marta
10-10-2007, 18:43
Well that's the technical information that I was looking for!!!! Hugs and Kisses for that help. These guys around here think I'm daft and unlearned.:o

I suspect that the primer pan will be needed by those using the burner in cold brrrrr type weather. Can you imagine assembling a potstand with three or more pieces in cold weather? The challenge is what draws them to that type of setup;)

Yes to the row of holes on the inner can. They are around the top.

I've used the Caldera a number of times in cold weather. Last spring, I picked my son up at WCU (Western Carolina University, or We Carry Umbrellas) and took him to hike the Standing Indian loop. Since there were two of us, I brought the Caldera and a Pocket Rocket. It was down into the teens overnight. That evening was one of the two times the Pocket Rocket has failed me. It would not light, and believe me, I tried. We ended up doing all the cooking on the Caldera. That included lots of hot tea, since my ever-so-brilliant son had not brought enough warm clothing. (He's a sweety, but he doesn't always listen to the voice of experience, aka his mom.) And the water got all crunchy in the water bottles.

But I digress. If the Cone is the pot stand you are referring to, it is simplicity itself to assemble. I can do it with gloves on. The new crimped joint is marvellous. I was not particularly careful with the Cone on the JMT hike this summer. It got a little bent in spots, but still works perfectly.

PS--I do NOT have the titanium version.

EWS
10-11-2007, 02:17
I managed to go from a simple decision to rethinking this whole thing, which is good. I’m not going to plop down $125 for the TI Caldera; it is too expensive and limiting due to the one pot size design. The Clikstand is still an option as it is stable, cheaper, and can be used however I would want; though it is “heavy” at seven ounces for the stand, windscreen, and burner. I wouldn’t pay an extra $100 for a sheet of titanium, to duplicate it and save an ounce. Taking Rock’s suggestion into account the Clik is about 3.5 ounces more than my Brasslite and windscreen; and if I added a globe stove, it would be about an 1.5 ounces lighter. I just don't know if saving 1.5 ounces (or 2.5 if I got one of the one of lighter stoves) is worth the trade off in stabilty for myself.

SGT Rock
10-11-2007, 05:27
EWS - I think that is a good strategy. To make it a little more multi use you might try doing something like making a smaller stove that can use the globe stove for a stand and then make the windscreen around the globe stove. This could be a simple sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, single layer, that can wrap around the globe with a gap at the bottom and top of the foil for the air flow.

zelph
10-11-2007, 10:50
Yes to the row of holes on the inner can. They are around the top.

If the Cone is the pot stand you are referring to, it is simplicity itself to assemble. I can do it with gloves on. The new crimped joint is marvellous. I was not particularly careful with the Cone on the JMT hike this summer. It got a little bent in spots, but still works perfectly.

PS--I do NOT have the titanium version.

I was refering to the pot stand having three or more pieces to assemble(ion, clickstand and others.)

If I had to purchase one of the two stoves in question it would be a basic Caldera Cone. I would choose a size appropriate for modification:-? .

Now that the burner has been described I have seen the light and now know why the stove performs as the designer describes.

EWS, I would suggest you purchase a basic Caldera Cone for the pot of your choosing. It works for Marta and also the sweetie located in Hawai. It's a cool design and it works well as we have learned from it users.

I will now make a burner to use in my DIY Caldera style teepee pot support for the beloved Kmart grease pot.:banana I'm not really Daft, just happy:banana :banana :banana Just gotta love those bananas.

SGT Rock
10-11-2007, 14:24
Why re-invent the caldera cone? I challenge you to make the Caldera GLOBE!

zelph
10-11-2007, 14:39
Why re-invent the caldera cone? I challenge you to make the Caldera GLOBE!

You know me, the teepee support for the grease pot was just something for the DIY group.

Just substitute the aluminum flashing with the appropriate ss mesh and use the plans and instructions that have been already given. Or use a cad system to plot out the design of choice.

A mesh caldera would probably work without having to add any holes. Later today check out the closure system that will be posted as an update to the teepee support. It is of oriental origin.

Thank You, I'll pass on the challenge.:)

SGT Rock
10-11-2007, 14:49
Throw me a link to your teepee support please.

zelph
10-11-2007, 16:44
Throw me a link to your teepee support please.

Here are links with info on how to make a Caldera Cone type support (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22463&highlight=grease+pot+support)for the Kmart Grease pot.

A recent update on a closure for the cone also. (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=203)

You've already made a globe stove.

Now I challenge you to make the Caldera GLOBE! LOL

By the way, the sweetie I mentioned was Hana_Hanger Maui Hawaii. Here is what she said about the cone (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=325454&postcount=23)

SGT Rock
10-11-2007, 19:29
Thanks Zelph. I may make one sometime - just ain't in the mood these days for playing with stoves for some reason.

RadioFreq
10-12-2007, 00:38
I know nothing about the Clickstand but I just bought a Caldera Cone for an MSR Titan 0.85 and I am very pleased with the cone and the pot. With 16oz of water straight from the fridge I get champange bubbles with 15ml of HEET. The early versions for the Titan kettle had a windscreen lock that was problematic I've read, this new one is bomber. I bought a long blue plastic fuel bottle from the caldera guys also (I think it is the same as the one at the Minibull site). This gives me something to roll the cone around for packing. I use a couple of elastic hair bands to hold the roll. It's only drawback is you need to exercise a little care so that it doesn't get all bent up, I don't see that as a problem. Most LW gear requires a similar mindset.

My Caldera Cone is transported flat (open) on the inside of my bag against my back. My REI UL60 has a pocket, which I think is intended for a hydration system, which holds my cone. It's kept flat against my back by the rest of my gear. I came up with this because I couldn't figure out a good way to transport it rolled up.

:) T minus 16.5 months and counting :)

generoll
10-12-2007, 06:04
What's a globe?

zelph
10-12-2007, 10:56
Thanks Zelph. I may make one sometime - just ain't in the mood these days for playing with stoves for some reason.
I can relate, how about a shortimers stick/staff/whatever's being made nowadays. :-?

zelph
10-12-2007, 10:59
What's a globe?

The "Globe":D

It's described in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25589) on how to make a woodburning stove.

SGT Rock
10-12-2007, 11:03
Actually I am working 0n a winter hammock and warming system for my hike so I can carry more insulation and less hammock (and a lighter hammock) than I do now - Since I am starting in January I figured a bugnet ain't a need - but a rig to stay warmer when I sleep is essential. I hope to have something worked out today that should cut my hammock by a pound and improve my ability to stay warm with some of the stuff I already own.

And of course - carrying my globe stove should also help since I can have a portable warming fire and wood stove.

zelph
10-12-2007, 17:25
My Caldera Cone is transported flat (open) on the inside of my bag against my back. My REI UL60 has a pocket, which I think is intended for a hydration system, which holds my cone. It's kept flat against my back by the rest of my gear. I came up with this because I couldn't figure out a good way to transport it rolled up.

Great idea!!!! I would go that route also if I had one. We don't need extra containers, do we?