PDA

View Full Version : questions for 08 SOBO

Freeleo
10-09-2007, 10:47
If i want to summit Katadin on July 23 of 2008 for a SOBO hike

1. when would you suggest leaving columbus/arriving in boston if i wanted to fly into Boston and bus north to assure a july 23 summit?
2. How easy do you think it would be/(and maybe who) this far in advance to possibly arrange rides and from how far out from the park?

any and all information and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Just a Hiker
10-09-2007, 11:11
Hey there! Well, if you want to climb Katahdin the 23rd of July, this is what I would do. I would try and fly into boston as early as possible on the 22nd of July; that way you can catch the early bus from Boston South Station heading north to Maine. The bus can get you to Bangor where you can catch the 5:30 Cyr Bus to Medway, Maine. From Medway, you have a couple of options; you can have Ole Man and Navagator from the AT Lodge pick you for their SOBO package, or you can take minute man taxi to Millinocket. I would suggest the SOBO package at the AT Lodge. It includes pick up at Medway, lodging for the night, breakfast the next day, and then transportation to Katahdin Stream Campground. I think the total cost for that is $70.00. This will allow you to climb on the 23rd, and head south the 24th.

The only problem I see is getting a flight into Boston that will get you in early enough to catch the bus north. You may have to fly into Boston the 21st of July instead. But flying into Boston is the most cost saving because flights into Bangor are pretty expensive. You also may want to check into flights into the Portland Jetport as well. That may make bus connections easier as well. Take care,

Just Jim

sixhusbands
10-09-2007, 11:34
If you get into Boston and have some spare time( most likely you will not) but if you do. take the water taxi from Logan into downtown Boston. Walk a few blocks into the Old North section and find the Union Chowder House. Nothing better to start the SOBO on than a bowl of "chowdah" and a slab of cornbread.

good luck

What is life without the simple pleasures....

Freeleo
10-09-2007, 11:47
jsut might heed the advice....everyone i have met at from boston at the bengals game this year and last have been great...i cant hold it against the fans that they cheat:p

i think i am going to fly in on the 21 to play it safe...thanks for the advice on the good eats...i have yet to explore boston, but have driven through on a few occasions

good day
jch

Blissful
10-09-2007, 13:40
There is a hostel in Millinocket now as well, and they shuttle to Baxter SP.

Boston is pain to drive in, ugh. :)

The Solemates
10-09-2007, 13:46
will be in boston next week. already in the plans to visit union chowda house.

Phreak
10-09-2007, 14:27
If i want to summit Katadin on July 23 of 2008 for a SOBO hike

1. when would you suggest leaving columbus/arriving in boston if i wanted to fly into Boston and bus north to assure a july 23 summit?
2. How easy do you think it would be/(and maybe who) this far in advance to possibly arrange rides and from how far out from the park?

any and all information and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I flew into Portland, ME back in June for the same price as a ticket to Boston. Then a $20 bus ticket to Medway and a shuttle to the AT Lodge in Millinocket. Then a shuttle the following morning to the trailhead.

Kirby
10-11-2007, 18:56
And from the Portland Jetport you can take the city Metro (#5 bus) right from the Airport to the bust station, that will cost you $1.25. It will be roughly 24 dollars to Bangor.

Kirby