PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in NH

grasshopper83
10-09-2007, 11:44
I'm looking for a four day hike in NH sometime next year towards late August early September.

I was told to think about starting at Pinkham Notch. Anyone have any suggestions, warnings, tips etc. about hiking there. Also, I was wondering what would be the best month to go?

Any and all suggestions are apprecaited. Oh would the AMC's Guide to Hiking the Whites be recommended as a reliable/informative source?

Blissful
10-09-2007, 13:24
I assume then you want to do the AT in the Whites? I can tell you, the AT in the Whites is tough (even with the physical conditioning of a thru hike). You will go slow. Watch for weather changes and check at the huts for weather forecasts. Be prepared with winter gear that time of year, to be sure. And carry a good tent that can withstand wind.

The easiest section I found in the Whites on the AT is the Pemigawasett wilderness (I probably butchered the name). From Zealand Hut to Ethan Pond area to Crawford Notch, for instance. You might consider that region and also some of the other trails there for a circuit route. We really like the Franconia Falls area as well - an easy place. The problem with Pinkham Notch is that if you go north, you have Franconia Ridge which is exposed - gorgeous scenery in nice weather but a bear in lousy weather. Mt Garfield after that is a bear no matter what the weather is, esp downhill. Going south, it's okay to Lonesome Lake, then you have a really steep section to Kinsman Pond and of course, the rocky areas of the Kinsmans afterwards. Challenging. Don't underestimate the Whites.

And I liked the AMC guide - I didn't use it on my hike but we have for other hikes in the region. And maps are a must.

grasshopper83
10-09-2007, 13:29
do you recommend the maps that come with the AMC guide book or some other set of maps?

I've done a little hiking in NH and the trails are tough.

Thanks for the info.

Blissful
10-09-2007, 13:37
I actually like the ATC maps as they have elevation profiles (a few hikers let us see them). We had the AMC maps and I wasn't that thrilled with them. Then again, we had older versions. They may be better now.

rafe
10-09-2007, 13:41
The problem with Pinkham Notch is that if you go north, you have Franconia Ridge which is exposed...

Whoa, hold on there, blissful. I'm guessing you meant "Franconia Notch" here, because the Franconia Ridge isn't anywhere near Pinkham Notch. Or else you meant, the "Presidential Ridge" -- but not really, because that's south of Pinkham Notch on the A.T. If you head north on the AT from Pinkham, you're heading for the Carter-Moriah ridge.

Anyway, you're right about it all being fairly strenuous climbing. There's not much "easy" hiking on the A.T. between Glencliff and Gorham. There are a few short flat sections on the ridges, but lots of hard climbs and descents to get there.

Blissful
10-09-2007, 14:05
The easiest section I found in the Whites on the AT is the Pemigawasett wilderness (I probably butchered the name). From Zealand Hut to Ethan Pond area to Crawford Notch, for instance. You might consider that region and also some of the other trails there for a circuit route. We really like the Franconia Falls area as well - an easy place. The problem with Pinkham Notch is that if you go north, you have Franconia Ridge which is exposed - gorgeous scenery in nice weather but a bear in lousy weather. Mt Garfield after that is a bear no matter what the weather is, esp downhill. Going south, it's okay to Lonesome Lake, then you have a really steep section to Kinsman Pond and of course, the rocky areas of the Kinsmans afterwards. Challenging. Don't underestimate the Whites.

And I liked the AMC guide - I didn't use it on my hike but we have for other hikes in the region. And maps are a must.

I was just informed by a noble friend that I was mistaking Pinkham Notch for Franconia Notch - sorry!!! All the above info is for Franconia. :)

A pre senior moment.

But on that note, Pinkham is even more challenging, yikes. I'd still go with the pemi wilderness.

Blissful
10-09-2007, 14:09
Whoa, hold on there, blissful. I'm guessing you meant "Franconia Notch" here, because the Franconia Ridge isn't anywhere near Pinkham Notch. Or else you meant, the "Presidential Ridge" -- but not really, because that's south of Pinkham Notch on the A.T. If you head north on the AT from Pinkham, you're heading for the Carter-Moriah ridge.

yeah. I had Franconia on my mind. I was spared from death there actually a long time ago, got hit by a motor home near Old Man of the Mtn when I was 12 (no joke). Only had a busted hand.

oh well.

I'm still smiling. :D

emerald
10-09-2007, 14:13
I was spared from death there actually a long time ago, got hit by a motor home near Old Man of the Mtn when I was 12 (no joke). Only had a busted hand.

oh well.

I'm still smiling. :D

A car, days before my 12th birthday right in front of my home. Just a thumb.:-?

Peaks
10-09-2007, 16:46
OK, first, where do you want to hike for four days? Anywhere in New Hampshire, or do you want to hike in the White Mountains? And, along the AT, or off the AT?

There are several trails other than the AT and places other than the White Mountains.

The best guidebook to the White Mountains is AMC"s White Mountain Guide. The best guidebook and maps for the AT in New Hampshire is ATC's Vt& NH guide book and maps.

If you do want to start at a trailhead like Pinkham Notch, then you can do a point to point hike using AMC's shuttle service around the White Mountains rather than do a loop hike.

Lots of good choices. Let us know more specifically what you are looking for.

rafe
10-09-2007, 16:57
Just to restate what Peaks said, 'cuz it's important... There are hundreds, nay, thousands of beautiful trails in New Hampshire and in the Whites. Only a handful of these comprise the A.T.

Ain't nothin' wrong with the A.T., except that it's more crowded than the other trails, and (for a beginner) it's likely to be steep. On the plus side, the views from the high ridges on the A.T. are awesome.

If you're looking to camp, you'll have more freedom off the A.T. than on it.

modiyooch
10-09-2007, 23:00
I'm looking for a four day hike in NH sometime next year towards late August early September.

I was told to think about starting at Pinkham Notch. Anyone have any suggestions, warnings, tips etc. about hiking there. Also, I was wondering what would be the best month to go?

Any and all suggestions are apprecaited. Oh would the AMC's Guide to Hiking the Whites be recommended as a reliable/informative source?I tried Crawford to Pinkham in August this year and it snowed. Also be prepared to hike 1 mile an hour. Grafton Notch to Gorham is a 3-4 day hike, but that is both NH and Me.

grasshopper83
10-10-2007, 09:33
hmmm maybe I should hike off the AT? I hadn't really decided that much yet. I did want to hike in the White Mountains. It's sooo purty there.

grasshopper83
10-10-2007, 09:34
oh and I prefer a shuttle. And I love being on tops of peaks, so i guess I'll have to bear the steep up and downhills :)